Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

Paladinus posted:

Buy me an avatar and I'll send you five billion doodoos via mindchain.
No i like your current av too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

So seraph hows it going i see your wasting lot of money this month. Remember to at least save some for food. Also stop diddling with minors. I mean even if your shorter than average person (your pictures are source of this) it doesnt mean you need to gently caress minors to get laid. And hell why 11 year olds you sick pedophile :stonk:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Aesaar posted:

They also conveniently forget the glass their fighter canopies are made of, which they say is as strong as the hull because while the thrusters need to be individually modeled because of realism, pilot snipes are taking realism too far.

Small note here, pilot snipes are not going to be part of the game. That point has been made explicitly by Chris. Everything else you've said is pretty accurate. It's familiar to me to have that experience with someone approaching a sim (or similar issues Bungie had with Destiny) when you roll into a new genre and want to address it but do not have the experience to know why choices were made.

Destiny at 1.0 had a severe loot issue, much like Diablo 3, where the drop rate was low, the rewards were unclear in most cases, and worse, the loot discovery method (engrams) was prone to devaluation when you decoded the engram. An epic (purple) had a chance to become superior (green). With Taken King, they did a great number of fixes in addition to undoing the engram chance to devalue loot. It sounds like CIG is going through the same process. They want to make everything as real as possible, and are now having to overcome or fix issues because of that.

Which explains why most games do not do that. Why, for example, most games you do not sight out of your head representation that other players see in 3rd person. I will admit though that working on the eye stabilization is a neat idea. Valve did some similar work in third person so that NPCs would converge their eyelines correctly. They added a correction so that the NPCs would keep their heads level (as people do), and the eyes would move to converge towards your eyes, as people actually do.

I delight in seeing developers tackle technical issues like that.

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

Dark Off posted:

So seraph hows it going i see your wasting lot of money this month. Remember to at least save some for food. Also stop diddling with minors. I mean even if your shorter than average person (your pictures are source of this) it doesnt mean you need to gently caress minors to get laid. And hell why 11 year olds you sick pedophile :stonk:
This is all just a big misunderstanding. I slept with a chick who ran a litecoin mining farm, that's how the "Seraph fucks miners" joke got started, but some idiot goon overheard a conversation and took it upon themselves to infer that I was a pedophile, and here we are.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Did anything cool happen

Where is Derek Smart?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Is the game out?

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

Small note here, pilot snipes are not going to be part of the game. That point has been made explicitly by Chris.
I didn't say that right. What I meant is that the idea that the cockpit could be a weak spot is something they think is too realistic for some reason, but removing headbobbing or having animations that aren't perfectly synced between 1st and 3rd person are both unacceptable breaks from reality. They decide "we're going to be realistic!", but then apply realism to stupid poo poo, rather than where it would make sense.

I don't have a problem with pilot snipes. Actually, the cockpit being a weak point would somewhat excuse their stupid cockpit/canopy designs.

The eye stabilization is a neat idea, but it's a (partial) fix for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. But they need it because CR can't deal with the notion that the player camera might be a few centimeters away from the character model's eyes for a split second during the walk animation.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 10, 2015

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

Opal posted:

Did anything cool happen

Where is Derek Smart?
Here's a pic of my catte, Athena, being silly in the window:

Here's a picture of my other catte, Nanaki, being a perv. There's a woman in the way just ignore her and focus on the catte, look for its stupid mischievous face in the bottom left:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Loiosh posted:

Small note here, pilot snipes are not going to be part of the game. That point has been made explicitly by Chris. Everything else you've said is pretty accurate. It's familiar to me to have that experience with someone approaching a sim (or similar issues Bungie had with Destiny) when you roll into a new genre and want to address it but do not have the experience to know why choices were made.

Destiny at 1.0 had a severe loot issue, much like Diablo 3, where the drop rate was low, the rewards were unclear in most cases, and worse, the loot discovery method (engrams) was prone to devaluation when you decoded the engram. An epic (purple) had a chance to become superior (green). With Taken King, they did a great number of fixes in addition to undoing the engram chance to devalue loot. It sounds like CIG is going through the same process. They want to make everything as real as possible, and are now having to overcome or fix issues because of that.

Which explains why most games do not do that. Why, for example, most games you do not sight out of your head representation that other players see in 3rd person. I will admit though that working on the eye stabilization is a neat idea. Valve did some similar work in third person so that NPCs would converge their eyelines correctly. They added a correction so that the NPCs would keep their heads level (as people do), and the eyes would move to converge towards your eyes, as people actually do.

You should be careful with small notes. Seraph is on the loose.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Aesaar posted:

I didn't say that right. What I meant is that the idea that the cockpit could be a weak spot is something they think is too realistic for some reason, but removing headbobbing or having animations that aren't perfectly synced between 1st and 3rd person are both unacceptable breaks from reality. They decide "we're going to be realistic!", but then apply realism to stupid poo poo, rather than where it would make sense.

I don't have a problem with pilot snipes. Actually, the cockpit being a weak point would somewhat excuse their stupid cockpit/canopy designs.

That's one of those odd cases where they directly stated it was decided pilot snipes would be a problem [related to the fact if you die, your ship can be taken]. I suspect this has a great deal to do with how they wanted the ships to be like WWII-ish designs with big beautiful canopies instead of the more practical designs of something like Enemy Starfighter (mostly bulky simple shapes flown by remote control or by a pilot nestled directly in the center of the ship where they are the most protected).

I mean, as much as it leads to some silly jpegs (Retaliator) I do love how it looks on the Constellation.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Stop talking to Seraph, Jesus, this is a guy that got lured into posting in the bitcoin thread with an entirely predictable result. Now he can't even be slightly interesting while throwing a tantrum in one of the manic phases of whatever mental illness he has, at least Karl still talks about Star Citizen. Seraph is just incredibly and tediously boring now.

Karl post again I miss you.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

AP posted:

Stop talking to Seraph, Jesus, this is a guy that got lured into posting in the bitcoin thread with an entirely predictable result. Now he can't even be slightly interesting while throwing a tantrum in one of the manic phases of whatever mental illness he has, at least Karl still talks about Star Citizen. Seraph is just incredibly and tediously boring now.

whom?

Opal
May 10, 2005

Namefag Edgelord posted:

Here's a picture of my other catte, Nanaki, being a perv. There's a woman in the way just ignore her and focus on the catte, look for its stupid mischievous face in the bottom left:

Cool

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

AP posted:

Karl post again I miss you.
:smith: clowns have feelings too you know. If you prick me, do i not bleed?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So Seraph's back?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Opal posted:

Is the game out?

Yes, it's surprisingly good. 8.5/10

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

LastCaress posted:

The FM problems are indicative of a problem that I have been critical of CIG for some time now. CIG (CR) have lots of ideas, the problem is that they are just independent ideas and are not merged together to create a cohesive whole. Many of these ideas run counter to each other, "realistic" physics but "rule of cool" ships, "realistic" physics but physics will be different for each ship( same size engine is different across the ships), delayed ship replacement but short TTK, limited game resources but selling power for real money, just to name a few. But lets look at the FM.

So the reason you use control systems is because you have to, no one wants to use control systems but that is how it works in the real world (its a lot easier to fake it). A PID controller (when compared to a PI controller) is faster, and more precise, but it is much more finicky and requires a lot more upfront work to get stable in a system. While a PI controller is easier to implement and has more tolerance and requires less upfront work. The early AC showed classic signs of being underdeveloped and ultimately underdamped. This got "better" when CIG started putting other controls on top of their original system in order to compensate for the fact they could not get the PID control to be critically damped. This is why the ship are impossible to handle using fixed weapons, and why the thruster values are so high, they are trying to compensate for problems in their PID control system.

So CIG want to have a Control system for each ship, that means each ship will have a different control system with different weighted values, nvm the thruster placements. This means each ship will have to be set up individually just for the stock fitting, then you have to change that control system each time you change the thrusters and other equipment, its a nightmare. The new system is going to make the system easier to set up but it will still require a ton of unneeded work.

So why implement a PID? There is no good reason, it does not make any since when you are talking about the number of ships CIG are creating and the number of changing variables, and because it does not add anything. One excuse that I have seen as to why have a control system is so that when you lose a thruster you will feel its effect. The problem with this is that a Control system is designed to not do that, the most you will feel is that everything will be sluggish, you will have no idea what happened or what you lost, just that you lost power. For a space craft, every action has to be met with an equal and opposite action in order to hold steady. So lets say you apply thrust to pitch up, you have to apply the same amount of thrust down to stop. So lets say you lose a thruster, the action will be the same, its just that now the control system will force more power to be applied in order to achieve the same steady state. Lets say that to make a specific pitch up at the desired rate it takes 10N of force from each nozzle (4 total, with each nozzle capping out at 20N for a max deflection), and the same then for stopping that action. If you lose a nozzle then all that will happen will be that each of the remanding three will apply more thrust, up to the max point. The pilot will not even tell anything has happened, because the controller (if working correctly) will change everything behind the scene so that the operators actions have the same effect, the only effect will be that the max pitch rate will be lower due to the now lower max thrust available.

The idea that you have to fight the controls is also a work of fantasy, because that is not now a control system works. Lets say that the ship is listing to the right and so you have to correct this problem with the stick, well in the real world that would not happen because the control system is able to input the exact same amount as you the operator is doing and the control system will do it faster and instantly. The control system will just compensate for that action and you will continue to fly straight with the stick centered. The idea that you could turn faster in one direction then another also makes no since, as the force applied to stop the faster spin has to be available in the opposite direction to stop the spin. Now if you want to set up a scenario were you can spin faster one direction but it takes longer to slow down, ok but then its the player that is now the control system (again because SC has fixed rates, and speed caps), and is no different then ED's AF system (using this you are the control system).

What CIG are implementing runs counter to what they appear to want flight to be like.

Nice post. As someone who has his background in Control Systems, their approach is indeed very counter productive. In theory, you probably could actually automate controller design for the ship thrusters in the design pipeline. I bet you, they haven't done that and are, in fact, adjusting their P, I and D values by hand (NEVER DO THIS!). The whole thing strikes me as something that's indeed easy to fake. In my experience, physics simulations and control systems can interact catastrophically (e.g. if the controller is "faster" than the simulation). In the same vain, change the controlled system (e.g. loose an assortment of thrusters) and your formerly stable controller may become unstable, leading to the ship spazzing out. I imagine both these issues to be very similar to general game physics issues, so debugging might get interesting. So why not fake it and get rid of potential headaches.

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

A Neurotic Jew posted:

surprisingly good. 8.5/10
Thank you. At least SOMEBODY appreciates me.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bit late, but

quote:

I would say as far as the UEE’s concern and as far as your point of view, the Vanduul are out for the destruction of humanity. Who’s to say there isn’t some stuff longer term that you may discover that has a bit more backstory to the Vanduul but generally they’re sort of an opposition to the UEE in the same way the Visigoths and the Vandals and antiquities were in opposition in the Roman Empire.

They don’t think or approach things the same way that we do as Humans and so they sort of see us and our planets as weak and as resources to harvest basically. They take what they want where they want.

So vanduul make up most of the empire's military and officer class, are often invited to settle on uee worlds, and have more political clout than the emperors space court Gary Oldman?

SC lore is poo poo, their history is poo poo too. Not surprised neo nazis are interested in it.

Furthermore :gary:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 10, 2015

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

That's one of those odd cases where they directly stated it was decided pilot snipes would be a problem [related to the fact if you die, your ship can be taken]. I suspect this has a great deal to do with how they wanted the ships to be like WWII-ish designs with big beautiful canopies instead of the more practical designs of something like Enemy Starfighter (mostly bulky simple shapes flown by remote control or by a pilot nestled directly in the center of the ship where they are the most protected).

I mean, as much as it leads to some silly jpegs (Retaliator) I do love how it looks on the Constellation.

Actually, the Constellation is a great example of my issues with their cockpit design.

CIG decide they're making a super pretty game. Then they design cockpits that hide it from you:

Red is either struts or mostly opaque HUD elements. This just isn't good. Externally, it looks nice, but functionally, it's poo poo.

The Constellation is an extreme case (though not as extreme as, say, the Freelancer), but if they're going for a WW2 style with big beautiful canopies, they failed miserably. Most of them have a bunch of crap obscuring your view of the outside. View to the sides is typically even worse than the front (which is pretty different from real life fighters, WW2 or otherwise). Rear visibility is nonexistent almost across the board.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 10, 2015

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Plankalkuel posted:

Nice post. As someone who has his background in Control Systems, their approach is indeed very counter productive. In theory, you probably could actually automate controller design for the ship thrusters in the design pipeline. I bet you, they haven't done that and are, in fact, adjusting their P, I and D values by hand (NEVER DO THIS!). The whole thing strikes me as something that's indeed easy to fake. In my experience, physics simulations and control systems can interact catastrophically (e.g. if the controller is "faster" than the simulation). In the same vain, change the controlled system (e.g. loose an assortment of thrusters) and your formerly stable controller may become unstable, leading to the ship spazzing out. I imagine both these issues to be very similar to general game physics issues, so debugging might get interesting. So why not fake it and get rid of potential headaches.

They actually have a post about those control systems spazzing out. They've been adding 'death spirals' into the NPC AI. In the game engine, these are represented as spline paths for the AI to follow once the ship is 'destroyed' but before the final explosion. One of the issues they've run into is that IFCS (their in-game fly-by-wire computer control) was unable to match the spline courses because, of course, the AI uses the same inputs as a player. One of the things they've added is a random chance for one of the still working thrusters to activate at full power, then the ship tries to match the spline before final destruction.

In terms of 'why not fake it' because fundamentally you get more unpredictable, and to some people, more interesting, results by systems interacting than you would if the control was cheated. To a group like CIG, it's worth it to take the extra effort to work their way through the issues and deliver a simulation. Though I totally get why people would think that's a waste of time.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Aesaar posted:

Actually, the Constellation is a great example of my issues wit their cockpit design.

CIG decide they're making a super pretty game. Then they design cockpits that hide it from you:

Red is either struts or mostly opaque HUD elements.

The Constellation is an extreme case (though not as extreme as, say, the Freelancer), but if they're going for a WW2 style with big beautiful canopies, they failed miserably. Most of them have a bunch of crap obscuring your view of the outside. View to the sides is typically even worse than the front (with is pretty different from real life fighters, WW2 or otherwise).

Could you put the screen elements up as they are in the ship? You seem to not have included them. I'm guessing this is the Constallation v1 (which is currently in revision for a v2 release which I'm curious to see, but do not think it will address this issue).

When I'm looking at a cockpit design, I'm interested in the digetic HUD elements as well as the external view.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

Could you put the screen elements up as they are in the ship? You seem to not have included them. I'm guessing this is the Constallation v1 (which is currently in revision for a v2 release which I'm curious to see, but do not think it will address this issue).

When I'm looking at a cockpit design, I'm interested in the digetic HUD elements as well as the external view.

Oh, yeah, sorry. Meant to do that.

I'll post both here so it's easier to compare:

I could have probably been a bit more generous with it, but whatever.

And this is a screenshot from the Citcon video. Dunno if that's the new Constellation or if they still used the old one.

Their HUDs are a whole other issue. They mostly suck too. Whoever thought the missile lockon thing was a good idea is a moron.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 10, 2015

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Aesaar posted:

Actually, the Constellation is a great example of my issues with their cockpit design.

Red is either struts or mostly opaque HUD elements. This just isn't good. Externally, it looks nice, but functionally, it's poo poo.

The Constellation is an extreme case (though not as extreme as, say, the Freelancer), but if they're going for a WW2 style with big beautiful canopies, they failed miserably. Most of them have a bunch of crap obscuring your view of the outside. View to the sides is typically even worse than the front (with is pretty different from real life fighters, WW2 or otherwise). Rear visibility is nonexistent almost across the board.

Uhg, I remember campaigning for the Freelancer cockpit rework a thousand years ago. I was glad they finally did it but it did feel like it opened up a can of worms as far as community feedback goes. Lots of their cockpits are just terrible visibility-wise. It does seem to be something they've started to remedy with their newer jpegs, but I was watching a video of someone playing AC in an Aurora the other day and it was unbelievably distracting.

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

Kakarot posted:

You literally cannot act normal and no, you werent funny at all. So gently caress off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhqfd3DbzJw

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHJ6OwTYWc

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster
:five: lolling so hard right now

btw if you turn the volume way down, the part that starts at 1m.33s actually sounds pretty good

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster
1m.02s is also pretty good with the airhorn

in ten years this will be made into a techno song and the kids will love it and jam to it on sidewalks and you will die a little bit inside

Make way for prince Croberts spot the goon reference at 1m10s

Namefag Edgelord fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 10, 2015

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Aesaar posted:

Oh, yeah, sorry. Meant to do that.

I'll post both here so it's easier to compare:

I could have probably been a bit more generous with it, but whatever.

And this is a screenshot from the Citcon video. Dunno if that's the new Constellation or if they still used the old one.

Yeah, that's it! Thank you. Did you see the v2 UI demo: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15045-Weekly-Development-Update It's at the bottom there. I tried to direct link to it, but Vimeo says it does not exist. Anyways,

I'm a diagetic UI fan. Ever since Dead Space I've been in love with seeing some good 3rd and 1st person designs. You can tell that they've been stealing from Elite: Dangerous for the single seater focus pulling when interfacing with the UI elements. At 38 seconds they show off the engineer seat on the Constellation, which, BTW, reinforces your point about the canopy getting in the way.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I only read the op derek smart posts

I can't believe I'm agreeing with derek smart

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Are you actually a nonce then? has that been proven beyond doubt ? I mean you seem to act and talk and behave like a Kiddie fiddler but that just could be an act right??

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce posted:

Are you actually a nonce then? has that been proven beyond doubt ? I mean you seem to act and talk and behave like a Kiddie fiddler but that just could be an act right??

This is for Seraph namefag by the way

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Namefag Edgelord posted:

Do you play Elite?
Have you named your ship Athena?
Do you vape?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

LCL-Dead posted:

Do you play Elite?
Do you vape?

i see what you did there.

:v::respek::v:

Namefag Edgelord
Nov 10, 2015

by Cowcaster

LCL-Dead posted:

Do you play Elite?
No, I've heard it's too shallow to sustain long-term interest. I might check it out after that new expansion comes out though.

quote:

No, here are my ship names:
  • P-52 Merlin: Hitachi Magic Wand
  • Mustang Delta: Sally
  • Super Hornet: A Better Mousetrap
  • Redeemer: Bite the Pillow
  • Caterpillar: Goin in Dry Awkward Boner
  • Starfarer Gemini: Tor Pedo Bait
  • Merchantman: Seems Legit
  • Reclaimer: Pubbie Donation Processing
  • Endeavor (pink skin): Fat Pink Mast
  • Javelin Destroyer: Problem Child

quote:

Do you vape?
Sometimes.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Loiosh posted:

I think the best part is that by the date being used in the game I am willing to bet that any kind of ship in that class would not have a cockpit window at all and the helmet itself would be linked to a series of cameras on the hull giving the entire hud, etc, inside the helmet with a perfect view of everything outside.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

Yeah, that's it! Thank you. Did you see the v2 UI demo: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15045-Weekly-Development-Update It's at the bottom there. I tried to direct link to it, but Vimeo says it does not exist. Anyways,

I'm a diagetic UI fan. Ever since Dead Space I've been in love with seeing some good 3rd and 1st person designs. You can tell that they've been stealing from Elite: Dangerous for the single seater focus pulling when interfacing with the UI elements. At 38 seconds they show off the engineer seat on the Constellation, which, BTW, reinforces your point about the canopy getting in the way.

Yeah, I quite like the new UI stuff. Makes me wish this game was competently managed.

The Avenger (?) at the start of the video actually has a pretty good cockpit in general, too. A lot less bullshit in your face. The Constellation and Aurora further on are just ugh.

grimcreaper posted:

I think the best part is that by the date being used in the game I am willing to bet that any kind of ship in that class would not have a cockpit window at all and the helmet itself would be linked to a series of cameras on the hull giving the entire hud, etc, inside the helmet with a perfect view of everything outside.
They're working on this sort of thing now. The F-35 is meant to have it. Whether it works or not, I have no idea, but it'll almost certainly exist within the next 20 years or so.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 10, 2015

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

I seem to remember something CIG posted way back when during the Freelancer "Strut-gate" thing about considering something like that but ultimately deciding it didn't really fit the aesthetic they were going for. Some fan did a really cool mock-up of the Freelancer with no glass like that.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Reminder the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald turns 40 today, so celebrate with the best version

https://youtu.be/88WL5MX1Co8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

EightAce posted:

Fishmech claims to have proof and provided a sanitized version of the new york sex offender registry entry on him.

• Locked thread