Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just like Skyrim, Fallout 4 is a good game that mods will eventually make into a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

I don't get it.

You can't have more than one companion at a time in Fallout 4.

As for the second part, in New Vegas you could have one human companion and one non-human. So you couldn't have both the cyber-dog and the robot at once.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The first encounter with the Metal Gear in MGS5 is awful as presented. Being that it's a MGS game I'm sure there's all kinds of tricks and cool ways to do it but I ended up basically playing keepaway with Snake as the ball, running between the two available LZs and trying to get picked up before Sehawhatever got close enough to attack.

Granted, it made the flying sequence immediately afterward much more satisfying, but god it took forever and was absolutely zero fun.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Ryoshi posted:

The first encounter with the Metal Gear in MGS5 is awful as presented. Being that it's a MGS game I'm sure there's all kinds of tricks and cool ways to do it but I ended up basically playing keepaway with Snake as the ball, running between the two available LZs and trying to get picked up before Sehawhatever got close enough to attack.

Granted, it made the flying sequence immediately afterward much more satisfying, but god it took forever and was absolutely zero fun.

on my first attempt i was able to extract with Hal receiving no damage . every subsequent run i have to fake out metal gear so i can extract. there's no real trick just get as far away from its los as possible and then call in pequod when you think it's clear.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ryoshi posted:

Once you get past it initially it chases after the helicopter. So you send it to one flight point, wait for it to chase the chopper then call it back and gtfo. More fun is that before the robot shows up there's a cutscene. If you skip that cutscene Snake will throw Huey like ten feet away which will count as damage and ruin any chance of getting the "Clear without damage" objective.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inco posted:

Nah, the UI just has no personality at all. From what I've seen, it's super basic, just empty linear gauges that fill up, and ammo in clip right over ammo pool. I'm not expecting something super ornate or cluttered like the UIs from Diablo or the original Fallout, especially for an FPS, but something recognisable. The original Thief has one of the most minimalist UIs, but it's still recognisable. The FO4 UI is just boring.

Yeah, for a bit of visual aid for people, here's Fallout 3's compared with Fallout 4's.

Setting aside that the Fallout 4 one is more minimalist in terms of what's actually visible in a neutral state (not personally a choice I'd make, but it's not a downside necessarily), the Fallout 3 one has a lot more 'explanation' to its existence. The conceit with Fallout HUDs across the entire series is that it actually is in some way a display from the Pip-Boy, and with the Fallout 3 HUD you can see how it 'works' as a device. The fact that the bars are broken down into little cells helps sell the old-fashioned tech look of it, since it actually looks like a display from a mid-20th-century device that was built for sturdiness and longetivity over technological power. The HUD itself is helping to sell the entire game's setting and aesthetic. (EDIT: And both the cells in the bars and the definition on the compass help a lot towards actually telling, at a glance, pretty important details.)

There's no life, or explanation, in the Fallout 4 one. It looks too clean to actually sell itself as 'old-fashioned tech that survived a nuclear goddamn war', and in fact it lacks the definition or personality to sell itself as anything well. Even just breaking the display down into defined pixels would go a long way in both making it actually look like something and making it not look ugly and lifeless. It's clearly not an engine limitation or anything, either, because the power armor HUD looks fantastically complex both in terms of what it's displaying and how it's displaying it.

I might end up buying Fallout 4 later, because I admit I am a sucker for both Bethesda's type of game and some of the things they've included, but this is the first time I'll be waiting specifically for mods, which I usually play fairly light on. But no, this time we need one to bring back both the Fallout 3 HUD and dialog system. That faux-Bioware poo poo ain't gonna fly.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Nov 11, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm sorry, but it's really hard to compare HUDs and pay attention to your brand of autism when you present it with an image of a dog in doggles.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It is bizarre that someo0ne had a dragging down thing from weeks before the game launched. I haven't played the game but I know this will ruin it!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

EmmyOk posted:

It is bizarre that someo0ne had a dragging down thing from weeks before the game launched. I haven't played the game but I know this will ruin it!

That happens all the time with goons though not just with videogames either. The first trailer for Jurassic World had people in the irritating movie moments thread complaining. There was apparently an Evil Within video that had a guy being chased by an unkilable ghost so of course that meant the ghost would be in the entire game constantly chasing you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

EmmyOk posted:

Weeks? Please, I've had that one percolating since E3. Don't undersell me like that.

But I think this one's a pretty valid thing to have preemptive complaints about, since it was readily visible and as present in pre-release footage as it is in-game. It's not 'there's an invincible ghost in this trailer, therefore there will always be invincible ghosts' like Len mentioned, or even Fallout 4's other big problem of 'I haven't seen what they're doing with this dialog system, but I know I don't like it'. it's 'we've seen a lot of this HUD, we will see a lot of this HUD, and this HUD looks like crap'. I think it entirely makes sense to criticize something you've only ever seen in promo footage, when it's only visual and quite static.

Hell, I kept quiet about this one for ages, because it looked so unfinished that I assumed it wasn't.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A thing that is bugging me in wasteland 2 is the charisma skill checks.
You say a thing to a guy, he says an offhand keyword in response. You are told "if you had intimidation of 7 you could say a thing right now". I don't have intimidation of 7. I have intimidation of 5, but I have a gun with no ammo that looks REALLY threatening. When I hold it I look tough. I also have an earring that makes me look tough too. With these two things I have intimidation of 7, but when I say hold on, just a moment, re-pierce my ear and pose threateningly with my spiked gun and say 'uhhh what was that thing about not knowing where the bad guys went?" the moment has passed and that chat option is gone forever.
You have the option to type in missed chat commands, if they fall of the list of keywords, but if you don't have the skill requirement then whatever magic words would have been that sentence were replaced with {bet you wish you had intimidation 7 huh?} so I can't even write them down on the back of an envelope and try again. There's no way to win besides reloading a save and using my meta out of game foreknowledge that someone is going to need to be spooked in a minute so I had better take off my useful poo poo and weapons with ammo that exist, and get ready to posture.

The gun doesn't even count if it's on my hip, it has to be in my hand. I gotta let the sunlight glint off the skull and crossbones spraypaint or the effect is lost.

I don't even know why it has the option to type in your own commands and there isn't a gimmick xyzzy response.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Hell, I kept quiet about this one for ages, because it looked so unfinished that I assumed it wasn't.

Yeah I remember thinking "I hope to god this is a beta UI or something" but no, it made it to release and it's awful looking. It's barely a UI.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
There are like half a dozen threads dedicate to Fallout 4 on this forum, surely any one of those would be a better place to circlejerk about how terrible Bethesda is than this one?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm sorry people are talking about a largely anticipated game the day the largely anticipated game came out

to contribute to this thread, I'm gonna talk about something in the largely anticipated game that just came out today

I assumed people were overreacting about the dialogue system in fallout 4. I saw some screenshots and went "eh that's not gonna bother me". turns out such limited dialogue options are a bit of a downer.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

People circlejerk Bethesda being bad all the time in this thread, this really shouldn't have been a surprise.

My contribution is about levels in platformers where you need a certain power up to get a secret/collectible, such as Diddy Kong in DKCR or Fire Kirby in any given Kirby game, but the only place to get said power up is at the beginning of the level and the secret is right at the end of the level, forcing you to basically do a perfect run of the level. Yeah, yeah, the answer to this is "git gud scrub," but you can't tell me that it's not frustrating to come to the end of a level and you see an obvious secret that you can't reach because you weren't playing super carefully because you didn't have the foresight to know that there was a secret at the end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

There are like half a dozen threads dedicate to Fallout 4 on this forum, surely any one of those would be a better place to circlejerk about how terrible Bethesda is than this one?

So we can't talk about MGSV, Dark Souls, Undertale and Fallout 4. Anything else we should add to the list of forbidden topics? :thumbsup:

Anyway, to actually contribute I'm enjoying Yo-kai Watch a bunch but the random battle is a bit of a downer. Basically you can't directly control your monsters. So sometimes they'll just spend a dozen turns buffing themselves and debuffing enemies even if the enemy is one hit from death.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah its really weird how game complaints happen in the thread made for them. You idiots should be complaining in the praise threads.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The whining over the dialogue system is really dumb. It's the same loving thing, they just didn't write down every single word of it this time.

Veotax posted:

You can't have more than one companion at a time in Fallout 4.

As for the second part, in New Vegas you could have one human companion and one non-human. So you couldn't have both the cyber-dog and the robot at once.

Which one is the human?

Edit: Oh, couldn't. Oops.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Nov 11, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Aphrodite posted:

The whining over the dialogue system is really dumb. It's the same loving thing, they just didn't write down every single word of it this time.

Which one is the human?

Neither, so even though you have two companion slots you can't have them both.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Aphrodite posted:

Can my complaint be that too much stuff is "the same loving thing"?

I'm not far in the game, admittedly, but they couldn't even change the loving music? Seriously?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Nuebot posted:

So we can't talk about MGSV, Dark Souls, Undertale and Fallout 4. Anything else we should add to the list of forbidden topics? :thumbsup:death.

Look, I don't care about Fallout 4 or MGSV, so can we just not talk about them in this thread? :rolleyes:

ChaosArgate posted:

My contribution is about levels in platformers where you need a certain power up to get a secret/collectible, such as Diddy Kong in DKCR or Fire Kirby in any given Kirby game, but the only place to get said power up is at the beginning of the level and the secret is right at the end of the level, forcing you to basically do a perfect run of the level. Yeah, yeah, the answer to this is "git gud scrub," but you can't tell me that it's not frustrating to come to the end of a level and you see an obvious secret that you can't reach because you weren't playing super carefully because you didn't have the foresight to know that there was a secret at the end.

Mario games do that poo poo too, except sometimes they don't have the courtesy to have the powerup in the level at all. 3D World had a few instances of this. You'd have to bring a powerup (almost always the bell) from a different level into a level that didn't have one so you could climb up a wall and get a star.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

EmmyOk posted:

it's pretty dumb to call something bad before you play it. that being said, if we were all told that a new fallout from bethesda was coming out and never saw a screenshot or gameplay video, i think we all know what we'd expect out of if well before the release date.

as much as i hate how much more obtuse that health bar is now, i mostly hate how garish that green is for the entire hud.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Nov 11, 2015

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Yeah, that's a loving hideous heads up display

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I wonder if they went with the minimalist HUD to contrast it for when you're in the power armor. That part should probably be in the "little things" thread, but the HUD in the power armor is really nice.

my only real issue so far is I'm clipping through things so much I feel like I should be on one of those "extreme coupon" TV shows while playing FO4. It's really bad with melee kills in VATS.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

I'm sorry people are talking about a largely anticipated game the day the largely anticipated game came out

Look buddy if you want to talk about any games newer than Fantasy World Dizzy you can piss right off. Personally I have 0 interest in Fallout 4 but this is a video game thread about small annoying things in video games so w/e.

Cleretic posted:

Weeks? Please, I've had that one percolating since E3. Don't undersell me like that.

I mean I understand that most people posting in this thread don't mean dragging down so much as petty annoyances but I still think it is silly to have planned ahead to post in this thread. That green HUD colour is ugly though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That health bar is pretty drat :effort: but, y'know, it has a health bar instead of just having everything go blurry/monochrome/red at the edges the more your health goes down so you never really know how far you actually are from giving up the ghost until one single attack takes you from "pink tinge in one corner" all the way to "restart?" and you wonder what's the point, I'd consider that a net plus.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In SOMA these monsters have quickly lost their fear factor and are just annoyances. Can't attack so I'm left just waiting in a corner for minutes while a monster paces back and forth 10 feet like its afraid it failed an evaluation or something. Started just running past and if I make it great, if not its faster to die and reset the thing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That health bar is pretty drat :effort: but, y'know, it has a health bar instead of just having everything go blurry/monochrome/red at the edges the more your health goes down so you never really know how far you actually are from giving up the ghost until one single attack takes you from "pink tinge in one corner" all the way to "restart?" and you wonder what's the point, I'd consider that a net plus.

it's not terrible. fo3/nv's health bar with the segments made it seem like it was easy to understand which weapons were the most effective bc you could see the tic marks go down with each hit. this is mostly the same, but having the health bar be one whole chunk is making me think it's less informative for some reason. if anything it's better bc the health bar reads left to right when damaged instead of being symmetrical like in the last two games.

that green is really ugly, though. it's like ang lee hulk green.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fallout 4 is sorely lacking a button that lets you shout "Shaun!" like in Heavy Rain.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Action Tortoise posted:

that green is really ugly, though. it's like ang lee hulk green.

You can change both the HUD and pipboy color settings in the menu. Changing the color of pipboy makes your flashlight the same color too.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Vic posted:

You can change both the HUD and pipboy color settings in the menu. Changing the color of pipboy makes your flashlight the same color too.

Thank gently caress, the green pipboy light was driving me nuts.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

The Secret World is a fun game and it's got a lot of charm.

That said, it's absolutely schizo in it's difficulty areas. In the first area, there's literally only a few feet between trash mobs and one that can completely wreck your poo poo in one of the more heavily trafficked areas of the game. It's like that for missions, too. Sometimes you'll take a mission rated "Normal" and get your rear end handed to you, and other times you'll take one rated "Very Hard" and breeze right through. I wish it was more consistent with it's difficulty.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I still haven't beaten the clown in the bumper cars in TSW, gently caress that guy

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
wait until you get to blue mountain, where the game difficulty suddenly becomes a check to see if you have a viable build or not. TSW was a fun as hell game but goddamn was it unpredictable, in a bad way

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They've made Blue Mountain easier since launch. Let that sink in a bit.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

oh god, I'm terrified my build isn't sustainable. I do okay soloing most of the time, but you never really know until later if the build you've picked is crippled or not.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

willus posted:

wait until you get to blue mountain, where the game difficulty suddenly becomes a check to see if you have a viable build or not. TSW was a fun as hell game but goddamn was it unpredictable, in a bad way

The only real issue with Blue Mountain and the Savage Coast before it is the Ak'ab, who are really mobile, hang out in areas dense in spawns and complex in geometry, and require you to be active enough that you'll probably run into issues with those last two parts. They might also have higher than average aggro radius, too. The rest of Blue Mountain's no cakewalk either, it's certainly where the kid gloves come off and your knowledge fo the game starts being tested, but the Ak'ab are the only part that's really unfairly so.

The funny thing is they bring back the Ak'ab a couple times later on, as part of the Danger Room-style combat scenarios and as a randomized part of a boss in the latest dungeon. And in both cases you probably WANT them, because they're actually not hard in a clean arena where you can focus on them.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Nov 12, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

The only real issue with Blue Mountain and the Savage Coast before it is the Ak'ab, who are really mobile, hang out in areas dense in spawns and complex in geometry, and require you to be active enough that you'll probably run into issues with those last two parts. They might also have higher than average aggro radius, too. The rest of Blue Mountain's no cakewalk either, it's certainly where the kid gloves come off and your knowledge fo the game starts being tested, but the Ak'ab are the only part that's really unfairly so.

The funny thing is they bring back the Ak'ab a couple times later on, as part of the Danger Room-style combat scenarios and as a randomized part of a boss in the latest dungeon. And in both cases you probably WANT them, because they're actually not hard in a clean arena where you can focus on them.

I think ak'ab got fixed since launch. At launch they wouldn't stop chasing you until they hit you with a dash attack.

I loved TSW but the dev team was what drug the game down. They didn't want to fix bugs, refused to admit bugs existed, laughed at players after an update literally broke the game for anyone using an AMD processor and Nvidia graphics card, and thinking scenarios were good riveting content just made me stop caring before Tokyo even came out.

There's a couple stories I have from the devs being just bad at things. In the first dungeon there's a boss who changes phases midway through the fight. If your DPS was good enough and you killed her mid change you go no loot at all. That was a known bug for over two years before it got fixed. The problem it took so long? The devs had trouble recreating the bug. Players running their end game dungeons (just the dungeons retooled with bigger numbers and new mechanics) would have to hold dps in order to not recreate it every single time.

There's supposed to be a de-aggro field around story npcs. That way you don't get killed during a cutscene during a mission. Some of these NPCs have faulty fields but the people in charge of it refused to believe me until I posted a step by step direction on how to recreate dying during a post mission cutscene every time. The next minipatch had a fix for that problem in it go figure. loving incompetent assholes. Although things did get better once Joel stepped down and the new guy stepped up. But I still can't bring myself to care enough to play.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah didn't you get banned from the official forums for pointing out bugs? Funcompetence at its best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ryoshi posted:

Yeah didn't you get banned from the official forums for pointing out bugs? Funcompetence at its best.

Forums both live and testlive, twitter, and facebook. I even managed to get shouted at by the community manager in Tokyo chat when I was ranting about a bug.

One gm said it was working as intended. The next said it was a known bug. The third said he was sorry about the first two but he didn't know.

One of the goons who didn't have a banned account posted a thread about it because there were chat transcripts of the GMs not being on the same page and they needed to get their poo poo together and asking if it was broken or not. The guy in charge of GMs popped in and was like "Sorry we'll get everyone on the same page" but didn't give an answer and then a moderator closed the thread for the problem being handled. I got into a neckbeardy :goonsay: rant in a global channel about how Funcom doesn't solve poo poo and Tomium showed up to say "EvilBillMurray your problem was handled. We answered it perfectly." and I argued with him in global chat for a little bit. Surprised that turned out okay.