Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ddraig posted:

The actual plot makes sense but like all Kojima stuff he can't make it as complex as it would naturally be he has to throw in a stupid red herrings and stuff just for the sake of it. The Big Reveal isn't as interesting as the stuff that was mentioned once and never again.

He really needed an editor or something. Same deal with MGS3 which could have been even more of a masterpiece if he didn't bother to include the half baked poo poo.

I agree that he absolutely needs an editor. I liked the Big Reveal because of all the little hints throughout the game that you were not the real Big Boss. Also I'm a wanker who lieks the Bioshock meta thing and think MGSV could be viewed as that in a way. Though I would have liked it a lot less if Ishmael had in fact died in that ambulance. I do like that this game managed to cut down on cutscenes but the cut content in act 1 and 2 was really bad especially because they looked much more interesting storywise than act 1. Though I liked V's story a lot the story hinted at in trailers and Ground Zeroes seemed much more exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I think this game's story is pretty good, and it'll undergo the same kind of fan re-evaluation that MGS 2 did after the shock of the unexpected wore off. The characters are probably a little too flat to sell the heavy feelings of loss and hate but as an experience it worked very well for me. Listen to all the incidental conversations in missions and stuff, there's a LOT you can miss. I wouldn't want it edited, because i think the first thing any editor would do would be to clear out all the cool marginalia that connect the story to reality.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Agreed Kojima is the same as Huey because they are both poo poo

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Man I'm not sure whether I'm relieved or bummed that I 100%ed the game before this latest patch. My FOB isn't going to end up top-of-the-line since the requirements to build all of this poo poo is nuts. I don't even think I can build anything due to not having teams in the 80s on top of the resources needed. I've got enough MB$ to afford another FOB but it seems pointless now to expand my man capacity when everything else is over and done with. Also it's super awesome that you can get Quiet back, but... idk, I think for now I'm done. So long MGSV, it was a blast. See you again sometime after the pc version goes on sale.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

The story is bad and isn't helped by the free-roam aspect spacing out what little story there is. The gameplay is top notch and lots of fun and I beat the game but I am also still playing and will continue playing for a while. It is fun and good.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

EmmyOk posted:

I agree that he absolutely needs an editor. I liked the Big Reveal because of all the little hints throughout the game that you were not the real Big Boss. Also I'm a wanker who lieks the Bioshock meta thing and think MGSV could be viewed as that in a way. Though I would have liked it a lot less if Ishmael had in fact died in that ambulance. I do like that this game managed to cut down on cutscenes but the cut content in act 1 and 2 was really bad especially because they looked much more interesting storywise than act 1. Though I liked V's story a lot the story hinted at in trailers and Ground Zeroes seemed much more exciting

I quite like that even the subject of the big reveal is pretty much nonplussed by it because it doesn't really matter. The Legend is the important thing, regardless of who happens to fill the role. Big Boss isn't Big Boss because he's a specific guy, he's Big Boss because he's a legend

I just wish that Konami weren't such loving dicks and let him do his thing rather than getting in the way constantly. The game could have been exceptional, even more so, if they had just given him a blank cheque and said "Make us proud, you crazy bastard".

Every single time the pre and post mission credits come up and put Kojima's name right there throughout the entire game I do smile slightly, though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

nekoxid posted:

So... Today I tried to mod game (to stop switching to Snake in cutscenes).

Then I tested it with mission 11.

I uh... Broke it... :gonk:
Someone already made this mod, but it hasn't been updated for the latest version yet http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/mods/70/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I quite like that even the subject of the big reveal is pretty much nonplussed by it because it doesn't really matter. The Legend is the important thing, regardless of who happens to fill the role. Big Boss isn't Big Boss because he's a specific guy, he's Big Boss because he's a legend

I just wish that Konami weren't such loving dicks and let him do his thing rather than getting in the way constantly. The game could have been exceptional, even more so, if they had just given him a blank cheque and said "Make us proud, you crazy bastard".

Every single time the pre and post mission credits come up and put Kojima's name right there throughout the entire game I do smile slightly, though.

I like the credits because the final mission credits reveal that the credits for every other mission have been subtly telling you that you are not Big Boss.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

I like the credits because the final mission credits reveal that the credits for every other mission have been subtly telling you that you are not Big Boss.

more like screaming it at you throughout the entire game

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I didn't bother with any Quiet upgrades except for guns. Now I guess it makes sense... ? Do any of the costumes have any effect? The flavor text is nice at least.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moola posted:

I dunno outside of the opening I didn't think it was obvious on my way through, very obvious in retrospect though. After the opening I didn't think much about it because you look and sound exactly like Big Boss and they also lie to you in the prologue. The Eli DNA test made me suspect his validity rather than Big Boss's. Though I played the final mission not long after so the thought did not have long to percolate

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Moola posted:

Yeah, but for me, I didn't even think about it because all i wanted to do was take skull face down for making me lose everything i worked for in peace walker.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

One thing I didn't like was how they indicated Skull Face was someone from your past and not just some dickhead. They have his tagline as "identity unknown".

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

EmmyOk posted:

One thing I didn't like was how they indicated Skull Face was someone from your past and not just some dickhead. They have his tagline as "identity unknown".

He was from BBs past. He was the cleanup crew for Fox.

Also, the reveal was guessed years before the game came out.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Overall I enjoyed the game a lot, but I still think the biggest missed opportunity is not to allow your helicopter to play any cassette. I want that guy making GBS threads his guts out to be my deployment tune.

Love Will Tear Us Apart is the best alternative, though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

I dunno outside of the opening I didn't think it was obvious on my way through, very obvious in retrospect though. After the opening I didn't think much about it because you look and sound exactly like Big Boss and they also lie to you in the prologue. The Eli DNA test made me suspect his validity rather than Big Boss's. Though I played the final mission not long after so the thought did not have long to percolate

I think I guessed the twist when Huey says "Snake...? is that you?" and the AI pod is like "YOURE NOT SNAKE"

I was like, yeah I'm totally not Snake am I...

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Moola posted:

I think I guessed the twist when Huey says "Snake...? is that you?" and the AI pod is like "YOURE NOT SNAKE"

I was like, yeah I'm totally not Snake am I...

I pretty much knew I was not Snake when the game made me create an avatar.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

He was from BBs past. He was the cleanup crew for Fox.

Yeah I know but the identity unknown made it sound like a character we already knew from his past. It was XOF's role that was the mystery rather than him leading XOF.

I missed that thing the AI pod says I guess! My main disappointment is that the story ends there and it's unlikely we will get a 6. Gray Fox still hadn't entered the scene or Big Boss hadn't saved Sniper Wolf yet. I initially suspected the twist at the start of the game but thought it was too dumb especially considering we looked and sounded like Big Boss. The avatar made me sus but again they threw me off by having the doctor killed right after so I assumed it was just for MGO. Big Boss himself still being alive is what makes me like the twist though. I mean I like the myth of Big Boss being more than a man but it would have felt cheap to kill the original off like that

Speaking of the AI pod, calling it in as a witness was so loving funny to me.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 12, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

I pretty much knew I was not Snake when the game made me create an avatar.

this was a pretty huge tell as well lol

although I initially thought the game was just being weird and dumb and Japanese and was like, oh hey you have to make your MP avatar RIGHT NOW!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Moola posted:

this was a pretty huge tell as well lol

although I initially thought the game was just being weird and dumb and Japanese and was like, oh hey you have to make your MP avatar RIGHT NOW!

I thought so too when I saw my face was the same, I lied to myself thinking the procedure wasn't done in time.

Look I waited for this game for like two years.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah, that's why I really don't like it. Kojima is much more interesting when he's unpredictably crazy, but this plot twist was something he already did in MGS2.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I won't pretend I wasn't surprised by the twist but I can definitely see why people got it way sooner than the reveal. In MGS for example I was shocked Liquid was Miller but all my pals were like "did you honestly not guess that?". Moola and Droids did you think the original Big Boss was still alive before the reveal?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Gray Fox still hadn't entered the scene

He was technically revealed in Portable Ops and stuff but ugh, it was really awful. The 'the boy had no name, but he was honest, so we called him Frank, and he hunted people down and killed them, so we called him Jaeger, because he spoke German.' is one of the most egregious background things, even in a series like Metal Gear where people's backgrounds are filled with egregiously goofy stuff.

edit:

EmmyOk posted:

Moola and Droids did you think the original Big Boss was still alive before the reveal?
I'm not those but the way you pass out in the Ambulance then wake up with Ishmael gone, and Ocelot parses his words saying he had 'two objectives. The first is to retrieve The Man Himself. And the second was to get you to safety.' was very particular, and turned me on to it right away.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 12, 2015

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I think a cool twist would have been you are Big Boss, but you play as the avatar you create. You were in a coma. You get plastic surgery, beat Skullface but he has no idea who you really are WHHOooooo!? Then Chapter 2 you go after this guy that says he's Big Boss who had been distracting Skullface the whole time in Chp 1. Eventually you fight your doppelganger. Ending is the fight is a draw, you come up with the plan to both be Big Boss. And Ocelot orchestrated all of this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ambivalent posted:

He was technically revealed in Portable Ops and stuff but ugh, it was really awful. The 'the boy had no name, but he was honest, so we called him Frank, and he hunted people down and killed them, so we called him Jaeger, because he spoke German.' is one of the most egregious background things, even in a series like Metal Gear where people's backgrounds are filled with egregiously goofy stuff.

Big Boss is literally called Big Boss because he bested the Boss. A story developed because Kojima refused to change the name of a baddy from a saturday morning cartoon and still that is 1000x better as background than that. Didn't Kojima basically ignore PO anyway? In the official guide's timeline of games and story they left it out which is p ice cold!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, the way I've seen it done is that it is technically canon, but they never want to mention it or refer to it ever again. It was basically developed without Kojima simultaneously with MGS4. Even in Peacewalker's opening, Miller is like 'bet it feels good to put San Hieronymo behind us.'

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

I won't pretend I wasn't surprised by the twist but I can definitely see why people got it way sooner than the reveal. In MGS for example I was shocked Liquid was Miller but all my pals were like "did you honestly not guess that?". Moola and Droids did you think the original Big Boss was still alive before the reveal?

Yeah, I did. Otherwise CQC hug at the end of mgs4 would have meant nothing.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I kept wondering who was the other guy at the prologue and why he had the same Jack Bauer voice but I didn't KNOW what was going to be the big reveal.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Moola and Droids did you think the original Big Boss was still alive before the reveal?

I don't think I ever thought the real BB was dead. Probably because that guy has come back from the dead so many times before

e; also the post credits BB reveal in MGS4 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler and executed IMO

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ambivalent posted:

There was a second reason why he was called Frank: the soldiers he was killing were French

Portable Ops is a dumb dumb game

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ambivalent posted:

Yeah, the way I've seen it done is that it is technically canon, but they never want to mention it or refer to it ever again. It was basically developed without Kojima simultaneously with MGS4. Even in Peacewalker's opening, Miller is like 'bet it feels good to put San Hieronymo behind us.'

Ah so that's what that line means! Yeah I heard it was technically canon but I thought it was strange that he literally never acknowledged it at all.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah, I did. Otherwise CQC hug at the end of mgs4 would have meant nothing.

God drat I forgot how good CQC hug is. Speaking of JB voice I assumed it was that your head was all full of gently caress and were having a short term Tyler Durden thing. I forgot the Quiet specifically acknowledges there is another patient in the room

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of JB voice I assumed it was that your head was all full of gently caress and were having a short term Tyler Durden thing. I forgot the Quiet specifically acknowledges there is another patient in the room

I also thought this for a while, honestly I kinda would have preferred it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moola posted:

I also thought this for a while, honestly I kinda would have preferred it

I was so sure that's what it was that I never bothered to think about an alternative. I underestimated Kojima

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I liked the reveal even if it was clear that the last half of the game was way shorter than intended.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think they should have cut the Eli heist totally rather than leave it unresolved.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
:agreed:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

His voice and mannerisms were so loving good though, absolutely perfectly done. I do like when he tries to attack Ocleot because he beat up some random Mother Base soldier and thinks he can roll with the big dogs. Then just gets punched in the face. Sorry dickhead but Ocelot only loses to people called Snake

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

I think they should have cut the Eli heist totally rather than leave it unresolved.

I think they should have cut Eli entirely.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I quite liked the Colonel Kurtz type reveal of Eli and I can understand why he's there but once again it goes back to the whole issue of stuff that's more interesting taking a sideline for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think they should have cut Eli entirely.

thats hosed up dude you cant cut kids

• Locked thread