Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The game should've ended after Sahelanthropus really, I already had like 100 hours of playtime by then, that and an option to start every mission with the Subsistence modifier and a few other modifiers maybe and I think it'd have been a better ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I also wish they'd have cut MGO completely, it's just a lot of wasted resources for something that most people won't play and that's going to be so short lived after Konami shuts down the servers next year.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

El Hefe posted:

I also wish they'd have cut MGO completely, it's just a lot of wasted resources for something that most people won't play and that's going to be so short lived after Konami shuts down the servers next year.

Yeah totally agree I also think they could have cut out a ton of side-ops in favour of main narrative stuff. I have very little interest in the online stuff but I think it's one of those things were developers demand "all things must have an online now". Sahaelanthropus is the coolest Metal Gear by far though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

At what point do I get to start doing this FOB stuff and get to hate my whole existence cause you all keep destroying all my progress?

I have combat, development, intel and medical left to build final platforms for. Would it be wise to do development first so I can get the other 3 done faster?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Back in the Ground Zeroes thread someone had extracted the textures from the game and found that the medic had Snake's exact face only slightly younger looking. This was back before The Phantom Pain had a release date so I don't think anyone thought much of it at the time.

Also, does anyone have a good method for horn size reduction?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I wish you could replay the Eli rematch side op so I can rocket punch the little poo poo anytime I want.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Brutakas posted:

Back in the Ground Zeroes thread someone had extracted the textures from the game and found that the medic had Snake's exact face only slightly younger looking. This was back before The Phantom Pain had a release date so I don't think anyone thought much of it at the time.

Stuff like that is what makes me glad I never watch more then the launch trailer for a game and ignore almost everything else. The horn size being mid sized means you are between 25-50 thousand demonism. I am guessing as you did not mention being permanently blood soaked you did not become Demon Snake. Rescuing all animals will get -10000 demonism, so will all memento photos. Or perhaps it's only 5000 each, regardless those are the easiest ways.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I hear going to your zoo works. Also kneecapping dudes and then successfully Fultoning them. Any of the missions where you rescue a cripple.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

The horn size being mid sized means you are between 25-50 thousand demonism. I am guessing as you did not mention being permanently blood soaked you did not become Demon Snake. Rescuing all animals will get -10000 demonism, so will all memento photos. Or perhaps it's only 5000 each, regardless those are the easiest ways.

If you've done those things already, is it possible to build a nuke without becoming demon Snake? And does the demon Snake thing happen when you start building the nuke or when it finishes?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Okay, I'm going back to get side objectives I've missed and I've been putting off doing Awakenings because the cut scenes and flopping around on the floor part are so time consuming, but how do I get the 'keep the Man on Fire from attacking even once after meeting up with Ocelot' one? Do I only need to shoot him at specific times, or what? I don't seem to be taking damage, but he's still 'attacking'.

I wouldn't ask for help with this except it takes so long to make multiple attempts.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ambivalent posted:

Okay, I'm going back to get side objectives I've missed and I've been putting off doing Awakenings because the cut scenes and flopping around on the floor part are so time consuming, but how do I get the 'keep the Man on Fire from attacking even once after meeting up with Ocelot' one? Do I only need to shoot him at specific times, or what?

Only when he gets really close to you. The stuff he does from behind you isn't what counts. When he is right up in your grill shoot him and reload but other than that you should be fine.

e: The guide says the attack is accompanied by a charge sound effect

Peewi posted:

If you've done those things already, is it possible to build a nuke without becoming demon Snake? And does the demon Snake thing happen when you start building the nuke or when it finishes?

So the thing is I am not sure if demonism can go below 0, if it can then you're fine if you can't then it is trickier. The completion of the nuke is 50 thousand demonism. 50 thousand and one is what triggers demon snake. Instantly dismantling your nuke will give you -1000 demonism so if you had less than 1000 demonism then you will not turn. Disarming nukes is -1000 and disarming 10 is -30000

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

FinalTitan posted:

A method I like for recruiting dudes is to play Code Talker with stealth camo, serval, and Ddog at night, as raiden if you can. Kill three Skulls (you can pop them a second time as they're getting up, and they won't shoot at you with stealth camo) then hurry to Code Talker. Set him down asap, find and kill the fourth Skull (easy to find bright orange laser), and then there are about 110 dudes throughout the valley, all stunned, to pick through for S-ranks.

Just did this and picked up 39 S ranks in 44 minutes. Woulda gone faster but I couldn't find the 4th skull at first so prolly screwed around for 10-15 minutes scanning and taking down select zombies. As a bonus, I think they all came out with the distinguished service cross for a bonus!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Just did this and picked up 39 S ranks in 44 minutes. Woulda gone faster but I couldn't find the 4th skull at first so prolly screwed around for 10-15 minutes scanning and taking down select zombies. As a bonus, I think they all came out with the distinguished service cross for a bonus!

All puppets you fulton get one!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

codo27 posted:

At what point do I get to start doing this FOB stuff and get to hate my whole existence cause you all keep destroying all my progress?

I have combat, development, intel and medical left to build final platforms for. Would it be wise to do development first so I can get the other 3 done faster?

Mission 22. You'll know when it happens.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

codo27 posted:

I've had an FOB for weeks and haven't been invaded once. I think a very small fraction of the playerbase is actually participating.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

AugmentedVision posted:

I've had an FOB for weeks and haven't been invaded once. I think a very small fraction of the playerbase is actually participating.

I didn't get invaded until I had already gotten 100% and invaded someone else to the point where a wormhole had opened up. They're also the only person who has invaded me at all yet.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I've finally gotten good enough to semi-regularly rush through a 4-strut FOB, often with no alerts. Box Boy is moving up in the world

On a semi-related note the new cap for GMP is 30 million, in case anybody was wondering :smug:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
FOB invasions happen in time with FOB events, if there's not one going on they drop off pretty massively besides diehards in at least the top ten thousand.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

nekoxid posted:

So... Today I tried to mod game (to stop switching to Snake in cutscenes).

Then I tested it with mission 11.

I uh... Broke it... :gonk:
would

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

EmmyOk posted:

His voice and mannerisms were so loving good though, absolutely perfectly done. I do like when he tries to attack Ocleot because he beat up some random Mother Base soldier and thinks he can roll with the big dogs. Then just gets punched in the face. Sorry dickhead but Ocelot only loses to people called Snake
But...

Spalec posted:

I wish you could replay the Eli rematch side op so I can rocket punch the little poo poo anytime I want.
I shot a stun grenade and ended the fight straight out. Sorry kid, this R&D budget has to justify itself somehow.

Seagull posted:

FOB invasions happen in time with FOB events, if there's not one going on they drop off pretty massively besides diehards in at least the top ten thousand.
If you're not in the top tier you're not visible to the top tier (for the most part) and they won't invade your FOB if it's poo poo because it won't give them resources, points, and soldiers worth the time.

In theory if you have a really good FOB but keep your Espionage Score artificially low you won't be visible to the people who have the balls and the skills to invade you, though you will be a tempting target to scrappy up-and-comers who think they can get something. They'll usually fail hilariously though, which is fun.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Just got reminded how terrible I am at FOBs. This soft alert immediately upon arrival poo poo is terrible. Got murdered on a level 1 combat FOB. Only got 5 soldiers.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Brutakas posted:

The fastest method of Demon reduction in the game is to keep running The White Mamba - it's minus 2,520 Demon points every run if you fulton all the child soldiers.

Double that if you extract them all via Pequod, but it's probably not time efficient to do it that way.

Somewhat Nachos
Oct 18, 2004

#wifematerial

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It goes much faster once you do it a couple times. The last Skull keeps spawning in the same spot for me so far. I just ran it again a little bit ago to time it and check how many puppets spawn, and I got 40 S-ranks (out of 100 fultoned, which happens to be the extraction cap) in about 20-25 minutes. It wouldn't even let me put Code Talker on the chopper, so I had to run all the way to the mission edge!

I tried taking DDog(Fulton) hoping he'd mop up for me, but he'd only collect three or so people before stopping.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm trying my best to complete the game but I have to say its really not that great.

There's no need for side ops to be an endless repetitive grind.

Why the gently caress do I have to pick flowers? What is this Metal Garden Solid?

The menus are just absolute loving garbage. Not even given a loving legend most of the time

Miller doesn't mind chiming in every 2 seconds with the exact same jargon, why cant he give me a reminder now and then that I have available combat deployments?

Why the gently caress does my bond with the loving dog decrease if he happens to get in the way in battle? What does the bond even do?

A guy comes at me with a shield, not the ones with the little slit you can shoot through, just a guy with a shield. I let him try and push forward at me with it, go to his side and start shooting, the shield magically absorbs all the bullets that aren't hitting it at all and are clearly going right into his body and head!

Would it have loving killed them to add in a feature where you can roll the jeep if it gets stuck? Its not like anything else is halfway realistic.

Whyyyy does travel have to be such a loving chore, of course everything costs money so you don't want to call the chopper every time, but going long distances when trying to clear up side ops or track down materials takes forever even by vehicle. Oh this is only 300 metres away but I really I have to go 4km to get around this impassible cliff! Not to mention the 400 mile long branches between platforms at mother base. Also pretty cool how there are 0 customization options, just big terribly laid out platforms, done so to make the target practice missions impossible

Basically I think they should have just made another MGS game instead of making it open world and a big loving tedious grind fest. Quality over quantity

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
you can use boxes to fast travel btw

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this really good game though

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

codo27 posted:

Why the gently caress does my bond with the loving dog decrease if he happens to get in the way in battle? What does the bond even do?

maybe if you didn't shoot your dog it wouldn't hate you

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
User error: the post

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I really wish I could make Kaz shut up, yes Kaz I'm bringing him in too ffs.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Uhm, wtf I just watched a cutscene I have never seen before. Apparently I was away from MB for a super long time and I got a cut scene with DD waiting for me with Ocelot at the helipad and then jumping on me inside the helicopter and licking my face (covered in blood). This isn't new is it?

Edit: ah I guess its not new. Never ran into it though.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 12, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I never understood combat deployments for my staff. I'm at endgame and they're still at D and E rank missions, shouldn't I have better missions available for my staff by now?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You didn't do the hard ones, so you never got better ones. Always do the ones at the top of the list.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, doing the Extreme version of the Code Talker rescue mission. Decide that, no, I don't really feel like having a sniper battle, so I sneak past all four snipers.

Rescue Code Talker, then all the guards are zombies and the four snipers are waiting for me outside. gently caress, that's cool but also a huge pain in the rear end.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So, doing the Extreme version of the Code Talker rescue mission. Decide that, no, I don't really feel like having a sniper battle, so I sneak past all four snipers.

Rescue Code Talker, then all the guards are zombies and the four snipers are waiting for me outside. gently caress, that's cool but also a huge pain in the rear end.

It is piss easy to sneak to the rear LZ past the zombies and never even go near the snipers

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I have a few questions about the patch that I've either seen inconsistent information about, or no information at all.

1.) If I get Quiet back, what happens if I replay Mission 45? Nothing? Or would I have to play Mission 11 seven times again? Or is she gone for good again? 45 is sitting at an unimpressive B right now and I'd like to replay it now that I have better launchers, but I'd also like to get Quiet back since I can't afford anything else that was patched in. I'm waffling on doing the latter because I've seen conflicting takes on this question.

2.) Hypothetically-- totally hypothetically-- could you get her back by playing Mission 40 instead of 11? It doesn't have the [Replay] tag so I'm assuming not...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Where do I answer or find a support request on a friend's FOB? The message wasn't helpful at all and didn't get logged either.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Archyduke posted:

1.) If I get Quiet back, what happens if I replay Mission 45? Nothing?
Nothing happens, I just did it again to get some side objectives

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Where do I answer or find a support request on a friend's FOB? The message wasn't helpful at all and didn't get logged either.

If you mean the emergency notification, you just select emergency mission on the Mission menu on your iDroid.

Note that the emergency mission notifications come little late at times, meaning you might've missed your chance to deploy if the attacker already left or died.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also, if someone else is already loading in to defend you might get kicked out with a disconnect error message yet the Emergency still appears in the menu. If you try to enter the FOB 2-3 times and it doesn't stick, odds are somebody else got in before you and is defending it already.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
lol, Konami updated the Development tab so there's now a pop up that explains that there is a cap on the number of Online Development items you can develop at once with a note explaining that the "A network error has occurred" message is now intentional. That's loving shady as hell. I think they realized the monetary potential of the glitch and decided to keep it.

Someone did the math and it will take more than a month to develop all the new items without paying. I caved and bought a third FOB but buying enough MB Coins to fast track develop all the new items is crazy. It would probably be more than $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Since the game doesn't track statistics of completed RnD projects like in Peace Walker, I just decided to delete my save after reaching 100% and start a new game. You get to keep all your online materials, MB coins, MGO save data (!), territory rights for 2nd and 3rd FOB so it's a fun way to start a NG without losing all your stuff.

• Locked thread