Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
FO4:

Codsworth bitched me out for being indecent after I took all my clothes off.

I passed a security check by telling a robot to go gently caress himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

You can cram an entire wrecked house into your pockets in Fallout 4.

Why did they put the Sims into Fallout? It sucked me in enough already. Whoever thought that one up is an evil genius.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of the questlines in Fallout 4 has you dress as an old tv/radio show superhero called The Silver Shroud and go fight crime with his Silver Shooter tommygun. While talking to people as part of those quests, it gives you a dialogue option to talk as The Silver Shroud with impromptu hammy dialogue and deep voice. :allears:

It starts near Goodneighbour, if you want to find it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

McDragon posted:

You can cram an entire wrecked house into your pockets in Fallout 4.

Why did they put the Sims into Fallout? It sucked me in enough already. Whoever thought that one up is an evil genius.

It's practically all I've done and I loving love it
The fact that you can move pieces around for free is great or even store them forever instead of tearing it down and rebuilding.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Just picked up a bunch of bottles and Codsworth criticized that I was hoarding. drat it, I like hoarding in games!!!! I will need those bottles to sell. They're worth money, I swear!

I'm gonna go stick all these bottles in his inventory

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Cleretic posted:

That name list is the most Bethesda feature I've ever seen. It's ridiculously robust, with even choices as esoteric as 'Markipoo', 'Bogdanove' and 'Nourmohammadi' considered and voiced... but tough luck if your name is 'Janet', 'Brett' or 'Alicia', or if you use an unconsidered alternate spelling like 'Ashleigh' or 'Madeline'.

And yet, I don't think I'd have it any other way. I'm not buying the game until mods come out (and woefully this is specifically to fix specific poor design choices instead of fixing bugs and adding to the game) but I've had more genuine entertainment interrogating that name list over the last couple days than I've had playing some of the games I've actually been playing.

I wish you could take a first and a last name from the list, so Seth Rollins can take the wastelands by storm.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Bee posted:

I wish you could take a first and a last name from the list, so Seth Rollins can take the wastelands by storm.

Fuckface Assface would be the only acceptable combination. :colbert:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

poptart_fairy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n9Nn-dsjWg

:laffo:

Oh my god, been laughing about a minute straight.

Holy poo poo.... :laffo: this is the best thing.

E: where's this list of names? I have a second psn acct and must try out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thin Privilege posted:

Just picked up a bunch of bottles and Codsworth criticized that I was hoarding. drat it, I like hoarding in games!!!! I will need those bottles to sell. They're worth money, I swear!

I went exploring a hospital with Codsworth and as we entered he said "Look sir; no lines! Medical miracles do exist!" :allears:.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Thin Privilege posted:

Holy poo poo.... :laffo: this is the best thing.

E: where's this list of names? I have a second psn acct and must try out

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-11-fallout-4s-list-of-names-voiced-by-codsworth-is-full-of-video-game-and-pop-culture-references

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Xoidanor posted:

Fuckface Assface would be the only acceptable combination. :colbert:

but he said seth rollins already? :confused:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

No "cat" or "meow" or "murder" = bad list.

They should have just gotten one of those robotic voices that pronounces everything like for telemarketing things. So that 'Meow Kill McMurdercat' would be properly addressed.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n9Nn-dsjWg

:laffo:

Oh my god, been laughing about a minute straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtb8xqdUBJQ
Can you stack names for a longer title? Can you be Sir Sexy Assface Bastard?

Croccers has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Nov 12, 2015

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

There is no "Bort" sadly

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
In Trine 3 you can test out your controls in the main menu's Settings options in a cute way. When you choose a specific character's control settings, he or she will appear in a puff of smoke and you can jump and run around as you rebind your keys and buttons. This made it very easy to test an effective set of key binds for a rapid Charge -> Shield Glide -> Stomp combination for example.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Similarly, I like games that don't have a set inversion for controllers but have a tutorial that says "okay, look up" without telling you whether forward or backward on the stick is "up" and sets your inversion to that setting since its what feels natural to the player. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I know I played one or two that way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ravenfood posted:

Similarly, I like games that don't have a set inversion for controllers but have a tutorial that says "okay, look up" without telling you whether forward or backward on the stick is "up" and sets your inversion to that setting since its what feels natural to the player. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I know I played one or two that way.

The first Halo did that. Pretty drat clever.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I think Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time did that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MGSV does it too, in the guise of the doctor checking that you can move your head properly. It’s never pointed out that this has any effect so it took people talking about the aiming to realise it was different lol

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I think Portal 2 might, like MSGV does. How'd you do in hypersleep? Look up. Jump. And so on. I don't know how much of it translated to mapped buttons (I haven't played it myself), but it would make sense if it did.)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

MGSV does it too, in the guise of the doctor checking that you can move your head properly. It’s never pointed out that this has any effect so it took people talking about the aiming to realise it was different lol

I looked down to be a dick to the doc and see what the game would do and I had to play the first thirty minutes with an inverted mouse :/

You can't out-troll MGS I guess

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best solution for that was on the Xbox 360, where you could set system-wide preferences for inversion and a few other options and games would pick up on them automatically.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Hirayuki posted:

I think Portal 2 might, like MSGV does. How'd you do in hypersleep? Look up. Jump. And so on.

Actually, that's it. :v:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Saint Freak posted:

I looked down to be a dick to the doc and see what the game would do and I had to play the first thirty minutes with an inverted mouse :/

You can't out-troll MGS I guess

So that's why it kept inverting! I thought I was going crazy.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Alan Wake did it as well. I really liked that game, finding the pages that would tell you future plot points, but not when they would happen was good for tension.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

haveblue posted:

The best solution for that was on the Xbox 360, where you could set system-wide preferences for inversion and a few other options and games would pick up on them automatically.

I'm honestly surprised that steam didn't copy this. I miss being able to just start a game without having to remember to go to the options first and turn on subtitles.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I've been playing Morrowind again, which has characters outside of major cities that offer fast travel. One of them stands on a dock, and I found out that you can talk to him through the gaps in the wooden dock from underneath, so I did. I was really shocked when there was special dialogue akin to "Huh? Who's talking to me?"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Redczar posted:

I've been playing Morrowind again, which has characters outside of major cities that offer fast travel. One of them stands on a dock, and I found out that you can talk to him through the gaps in the wooden dock from underneath, so I did. I was really shocked when there was special dialogue akin to "Huh? Who's talking to me?"

This is an automatic line that overrides greetings whenever they can't detect you. It causes problems when you try to talk to people through cell doors and (as a modder) when I want to make dialogue start automatically and the player is standing slightly off to the left,or invisible, or so many other things :negative:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Thin Privilege posted:

I told Danse to get the gently caress out after he encouraged me to scavenge a room and then immediately chastised me for taking stuff.

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Nov 13, 2015

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtb8xqdUBJQ

I like the tongue roll for 'Mr Erectus'

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inzombiac posted:

The first Halo did that. Pretty drat clever.

3 was the funniest bc instead of making you stare at lights on the ceilings and floors, they had sgt. johnson hold up a series of cards with red dots on them to test you in the field.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Psychonauts did this. :allears:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pocket Billiards posted:

I like the tongue roll for 'Mr Erectus'

If I was a reviewer I would give the game an extra star just for including the name Quatermass.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If I was a reviewer I would give the game an extra star just for including the name Quatermass.

I still find it so weird that 'Quatermass' is in the list but 'Doctor' isn't.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

See, I think it's a great way to handle it, but every time it happens I get this brief flash of panic where I can't remember what I usually do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Action Tortoise posted:

3 was the funniest bc instead of making you stare at lights on the ceilings and floors, they had sgt. johnson hold up a series of cards with red dots on them to test you in the field.

Well you did just fall from orbit. A quick recalibration's probably a good idea.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Been playing Mad Max a lot lately, and scavenging for supplies often reveals a ton of subtle backstory because the world feels really lived-in. The loot points aren't even on the map until you collect several special parts to have your home base build a device that detects them, so some can be easy to miss. People in these camps usually attack you, or the place is vacant. I just found one in a remote region near the very edge of the map where you have to spiral up a big rock formation and squeeze in between a couple hard to spot crevices to get there. Finally when you get to the top there are two mattresses, a bunch of hearts painted on the wall, and two skeletons embracing on one of the mattresses. It's a really rare moment of sweetness in such a violent world.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I feel really stupid for how great I think this is, but here's something about Fallout 4 that knocked my socks off... Not story spoilers, but it's such a rad(har har) moment that I want more people to find it organically like I did.

Naturally with any kind of open world game there's borders surrounding the play area. As soon as I started I naturally tried going "off map" and hit an invisible wall. Fair enough, whatever... Cut to x amount of hours later and I'm stomping around the South-West area of the map, a toxic wasteground where the bomb hit and right in the very corner is a point of interest, the impact crater. Only, the thing is, when I get there I see other pointers on my HUD telling me there's other things to explore... And they're off map! It took the usual convention for open world games and just flipped them. Here I was exploring further than I thought possible and it was thrilling.

Just a little thing, but so unexpected and out of left field.

Drunken Baker has a new favorite as of 11:36 on Nov 13, 2015

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Croccers posted:

Sadly no, my character Atomic gently caress Monster is simply addressed as Mr Monster. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Early-mid Fallout 4 main quest spoilers (I think anyway, haven't completed the MQ yet):

There is a sequence where you dig through a dead man's memories using a VR machine, one of the memories features your player character. FO4 has a few vendors that let you change your appearance and since I had changed my character's looks since that sequence I was presently surprised that the game remembered what I looked like at the time.