Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

doesn't it just do it through mdadm

no.

it has its own drivers. and i don't think it supports hardware write barriers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lvm seems kinda lovely idk

but then i don't have EnTeRpRiSe StOrAgE rEqUiReMeNtS i just have a laptop ssd with an EFI system partition and an ext4 partition

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mdadm uses raid from kernel, and lvm uses device-mapper from kernel. they do share a lot of the algorithms though, so e.g. the raid logic implementation is the same. they're configured in the same section in kernel menuconfig.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lvm supports thin provisioning and trim/discards, that's nice.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Tankakern posted:

mdadm uses raid from kernel, and lvm uses device-mapper from kernel. they do share a lot of the algorithms though, so e.g. the raid logic implementation is the same. they're configured in the same section in kernel menuconfig.

ahh thx

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

lvm seems kinda lovely idk

but then i don't have EnTeRpRiSe StOrAgE rEqUiReMeNtS i just have a laptop ssd with an EFI system partition and an ext4 partition

lvm is really good and cool even if you don't need any enterprisey poo poo

e.g. volume snapshots are really good for backups

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

hardware write barriers are the important part, and i don't think lvm will enable write barriers except in the trivial case (pass-through on a single device)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

I'm pretty sure you have to look pretty hard to find a case where LVM does not have write barriers... support for it in device mapper was added in 2010 (2.6.33)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

easy to test though, just look in dmesg after mounting xfs or ext4 or whatever on lvm with -o barrier=1. Sometimes you have to check if lvm.conf is correctly set up too (e.g. you have to explicitly enable discards/trim in lvm.conf if you want to send those to the device(s)).

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i wish there was lvm for windows

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
What is with the blote on packages nowadays?

To take a smaller package for example, ncurses, took 1 min 4 seconds to compile on Oct 2014 with an i5 2500k, now takes 1 min 20 seconds to compile today on an i7 4790k.

Do developers just not give a poo poo?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

nosl posted:

compile

:crossarms:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

nosl posted:

What is with the blote on packages nowadays?

To take a smaller package for example, ncurses, took 1 min 4 seconds to compile on Oct 2014 with an i5 2500k, now takes 1 min 20 seconds to compile today on an i7 4790k.

Do developers just not give a poo poo?

lol

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
MY COMPILE TIMES

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
Thanks, I almost forgot where I was posting.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
what if that extra 16 seconds it took to compile was because it was optimizing ncurses to run 16 seconds faster?

makes u think

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
2015 year of linux on the desktop of linux system administrators

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually its osx

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Barnyard Protein posted:

what if that extra 16 seconds it took to compile was because it was optimizing ncurses to run 16 seconds faster?

makes u think

16 extra seconds even though it compiled 16 seconds faster on a 2500k than it did a year later on a 4790k was the point

how do you manage to manage servers while missing blatantly obvious details like that

makes u think

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
:yikes:

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Barnyard Protein posted:

makes u think

nah, it's definitely not that compilers are doing increasingly more and better optimizations. also can't be that ncurses is more capable. couldn't possibly be.

obviously, things were just so much better back in the day

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
im trying to remember the last time i had to compile source code and i think it was in 2001 to get mozilla to run on solaris 8 x86

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

unnecessarily compiling bullshit is the unix way

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
I'm just spergin on Gentoo because it feels like a viable home use hobbyist distro, also capable of supporting my sporadic dev needs while not being a piece of broken, vulnerable poo poo maintained by hipsters. I've used this distro for half a decade distro now, the baby duck is real.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

yeah man, hipsters are the bane of any linux distro

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Barnyard Protein posted:

im trying to remember the last time i had to compile source code and i think it was in 2001 to get mozilla to run on solaris 8 x86

i compiled a hosed up version of KDEN Live from source and it was epic ftw

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
spergin is great. srsly though i think that kind of time delta could be expected to be seen on the same system doing multiple back-to-back compiles. it'll change depending on the load of the system and the phase of the moon and stuff. i get paid earth dollars to write software, so i'm hitting the compile button all day long. my current project builds 30s+/-5s.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
i actually had to custom compile ncurses last night to get utf8 support for nano on my synology
i think it took around who-gives-a-gently caress minutes but i didnt grab the output

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

nosl posted:

I'm just spergin on Gentoo because it feels like a viable home use hobbyist distro, also capable of supporting my sporadic dev needs while not being a piece of broken, vulnerable poo poo maintained by hipsters. I've used this distro for half a decade distro now, the baby duck is real.

post your sikk compile flags itt

--funroll-loops etc

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

16 seconds

is there nothing else in your life

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

bobbilljim posted:

16 seconds

gentoo is life

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
this morning i exported a nfs mount on the NAS and mounted it on my ~*linux box*~ and tried to test it with dd if=/dev/urandom of=./test.dat count=500 size=500k and about 3 seconds later my machine no longer responds to pings

hoping i dont come home to a house on fire

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

bobbilljim posted:

16 seconds

my compile flags are quite normal and not riced

I don't often do a system update unless it's been a few months, and just upgrade important packages until then. The only reason I checked the difference was because I installed a brand new processor that is supposedly twice as fast at compiling. While this is apparent for larger packages blatantly, smaller ones seem to have no major difference.

I wasn't trying to divert the ambiguous nonexistent topic, sorry for ruining your day man. Next time I'll just cut my dick off and install Ubuntu while listening to boy bands through mpd before I even consider posting something related to linux on the linux thread.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nosl posted:

I don't often do a system update unless it's been a few months, and just upgrade important packages until then. The only reason I checked the difference was because I installed a brand new processor that is supposedly twice as fast at compiling. While this is apparent for larger packages blatantly, smaller ones seem to have no major difference.

I wasn't trying to divert the ambiguous nonexistent topic, sorry for ruining your day man. Next time I'll just cut my dick off and install Ubuntu while listening to boy bands through mpd before I even consider posting something related to linux on the linux thread.

wait you were actually serious about "compile time bloat"
lol just fuckin lol

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
gentoo is okay to use for about 2 years maximum at which point youve learned all you will ever learn from a lovely compiled system and its time to move on to something that doesnt actively waste your time for no gain whatsoever, like forums posting or reading NBSD posts

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Use arch

If you must be a sperg then at least don't pointlessly waste your time in the process

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

nosl posted:

im going to post at u in all seriousness.

theres many factors that contribute to compile speed. mostly disk in my experience, which could be the bottleneck in a small package like that. as other posters have mentioned, it might now run faster or have more features.
you can understand though, right, that noone gives a poo poo abotu waiting an extra 16 seconds.

finally, if you want to compile poo poo arch linux is a good distro. there's no reason to use gentoo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im compiling.

a collection of your moms pubes!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
thats gross lol