Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

theflyingorc posted:

people get really weird when you attack things that they see as core to their identity

having a sports team be core to your identity is really stupid, though

I was completely indifferent to sports fans until I lived in Denver. Whether their team won or lost, they trashed their own town. :psyduck: Now I work in a job where you have to make small talk with people every day and it's psychically painful for me to have to pretend enthusiasm for <random person>'s sports team. I don't mind casual fans, but the hardcore fans are the worst. It wouldn't be so bad if I were in a location where only 1 or 2 teams are everyone's teams, but I'm at a military base, so we have hardcore fans from all over the U.S. here. Football season is the worst. I have had to break up almost-to-physical-violence arguments between fans of rival teams or fans of local teams vs. non-local teams. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I follow the World Cup, and we fans would never resort to such - Player stabbed, referee dismembered over soccer quarrel in Brazil.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Wiggy Marie posted:

I follow the World Cup, and we fans would never resort to such - Player stabbed, referee dismembered over soccer quarrel in Brazil.

article posted:

It ended when the player's enraged family members stoned the referee to death and dismembered his body.

Jesus loving Christ :gonk:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Wiggy Marie posted:

English football fans have their own wikipedia article

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If you look at team sports as being substitutes for good old fashioned tribal warfare, then a fan catching a coma-beatdown in a parking lot after the game suddenly makes a lot more sense.

Go Hawks. :hawksin:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

AnonSpore posted:

When we chant "Two World Wars and one World Cup" we aren't really making much of a distinction between the two things you know. National matches are a bonding experience where dyed-in-the-wool psychos and bamcases from rival teams across the country can put aside their differences and gather in the communal cause of kicking gently caress out of foreigners and anyone who looks a bit like a wrong'un.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

You can save some time with your chant by rephrasing it to "Two Wars, One Cup".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Karma Monkey posted:

I was completely indifferent to sports fans until I lived in Denver. Whether their team won or lost, they trashed their own town. :psyduck: Now I work in a job where you have to make small talk with people every day and it's psychically painful for me to have to pretend enthusiasm for <random person>'s sports team. I don't mind casual fans, but the hardcore fans are the worst. It wouldn't be so bad if I were in a location where only 1 or 2 teams are everyone's teams, but I'm at a military base, so we have hardcore fans from all over the U.S. here. Football season is the worst. I have had to break up almost-to-physical-violence arguments between fans of rival teams or fans of local teams vs. non-local teams. :suicide:

People who make a sports team really, really central to their identity creep me out. Any level of fandom is fine as long as at the end of the day you recognize that none of the narratives are real and that your choice of team is largely arbitrary.

There's some places where you could beaten up for wearing the wrong team's jersey, which is crazy, and if I had specific examples they'd fit this thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AnonSpore posted:

No, English hooligans have their own article. For the American football fans who get violent sport is the reason, whereas for hooligans it's just the excuse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

theflyingorc posted:

People who make a sports team really, really central to their identity creep me out. Any level of fandom is fine as long as at the end of the day you recognize that none of the narratives are real and that your choice of team is largely arbitrary.

There's some places where you could beaten up for wearing the wrong team's jersey, which is crazy, and if I had specific examples they'd fit this thread.

Obsessives about any element of media, really. Sports fanatics are just more mainstream than, say, bronies.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

theflyingorc posted:

Giants fan Brian Stow was beaten into a coma by two Dodgers fans and is now an invalid for life

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I recently visited some friends outside of Boston, and wanted to bring their three-year-old a little souvenir from Baltimore, where I live. I decided on an Orioles shirt, and texted my friend to see what size the kid wore. He half-jokingly replied that the shirt might not be the best idea, as they were still new to the area and didn't want to make enemies. I bought the kid a little plush crab instead, which was probably for the best.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Most of these incidents at least in America, aren't even about the sports teams themselves. Its about drunk macho alpha male types who can't let even the smallest insult slide. Its never the specific comment about the team that starts the fight, its the "go gently caress yourself" response that always kicks things off because some guys just can't walk away when someone says certain magic words. Alcohol is a major factor, in my opinion it shouldn't be served at large sporting events, or there should be some way to limit people to 2 or 3 drinks.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Jesus that article. :stonk:

quote:

The complaint specified that he cut and disabled Stow's tongue, put out an eye and slit his nose, ear and lip in addition to other injuries that left him brain damaged.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Karma Monkey posted:

Jesus that article. :stonk:

It's easier and quicker than you think when you're stomping someone in the head onto rough asphalt. The whole altercation was maybe 30 seconds, max.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Minarchist posted:

It's easier and quicker than you think when you're stomping someone in the head onto rough asphalt. The whole altercation was maybe 30 seconds, max.

Oh I guess I thought there was a knife involved. It's still pretty loving awful. I also wonder if that defendant really was smirking throughout the family's and judge's statements or if that's just the reporter vilifying him - not that he needs any help looking like a piece of poo poo, mind you.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Basebf555 posted:

Most of these incidents at least in America, aren't even about the sports teams themselves. Its about drunk macho alpha male types who can't let even the smallest insult slide. Its never the specific comment about the team that starts the fight, its the "go gently caress yourself" response that always kicks things off because some guys just can't walk away when someone says certain magic words. Alcohol is a major factor, in my opinion it shouldn't be served at large sporting events, or there should be some way to limit people to 2 or 3 drinks.

Unless you've got the money for a massive team of no-fun police to go around and watch all the tailgaters, there's no way to cut down on alcohol. I live in a big college football town and almost no one actually drinks in the stadium, it's all in the parking lot.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Samfucius posted:

Unless you've got the money for a massive team of no-fun police to go around and watch all the tailgaters, there's no way to cut down on alcohol. I live in a big college football town and almost no one actually drinks in the stadium, it's all in the parking lot.

Turn down anyone who's obviously shitfaced, thats what they do at clubs here in Australia to keep the trouble outside (also and probably more importantly to make more money at the bar)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Of course the real answer is that beer companies are major sponsors of these leagues, and also the owners of the teams/stadiums would never want to cut out a major stream of revenue by banning alcohol.

But it could be done fairly easily, especially in a pro sport, or on any college campus where the football team is nationally known and successful. These programs rake in millions upon millions every year, it really wouldn't be that burdensome to institute a policy of no tailgating/drinking on campus and hiring security to patrol and kick people off the property if they violate the rules. But then I suppose the whole enterprise would implode because half the people attending these games wouldn't be there if they couldn't drink.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Turn down anyone who's obviously shitfaced, thats what they do at clubs here in Australia to keep the trouble outside (also and probably more importantly to make more money at the bar)

I mean, they do. At least here. The thing is, a lot of seasoned drinkers are really good at holding it together for the ten minutes they have to spend in line.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

theflyingorc posted:

I know someone who decided that the New York Yankees are her religion. She's not nuts, though, just an atheist who wanted to participate in a non-theological community activity involving regular events and ideological fervor.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It's not just bars in the stadiums, though, a lot of times there's tons of places to drink around them as well. Just last spring, an anti-violence march here turned a bit ugly when it went past a bar by the stadium and the drunken idiots there decided to start shouting racial slurs at the protesters.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Basebf555 posted:

Alcohol is a major factor, in my opinion it shouldn't be served at large sporting events, or there should be some way to limit people to 2 or 3 drinks.

There is. A beer costs $9 and up at a football game.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Come up with some sensible limits like the Aussies did for Bathurst

That isn't a joke, that is the actual amount you're allowed to take

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Why even limit it if the amount you limit it to will get people loving shithoused.

24 beers in a day? I mean I guess if you did it literally over 24 hours you would be fine, but you know that's all gonna go in about 5 hours at most.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Samfucius posted:

Why even limit it if the amount you limit it to will get people loving shithoused.

24 beers in a day? I mean I guess if you did it literally over 24 hours you would be fine, but you know that's all gonna go in about 5 hours at most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRz8FWPUmpI

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

dissss posted:

Come up with some sensible limits like the Aussies did for Bathurst

That isn't a joke, that is the actual amount you're allowed to take

I just heard my liver whimper.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Karma Monkey posted:

Oh I guess I thought there was a knife involved.

The article says Sanchez and Norwood would also be facing weapons charges that could get them ten years, so there probably was a knife involved.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
When I was a cashier a customer tried to start a fight over sports with me. I had no idea what her problem was or why she was yelling at me about the Yankees until I realized the tissue box on my register had a Mets logo.

I had the sniffles and just grabbed whatever when the tissue company was putting out Mets and Yankees boxes.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Ramirez

Gloria Ramirez was a Riverside, California, woman dubbed "the toxic lady" by the media when several Riverside General Hospital workers became ill after exposure to her body and blood.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
To go back to sports chat, one of the most prominent examples for me is Larkhall in Scotland. The football rivalry there is so strong that the majority of the (Rangers supporting) population does not tolerate the colour green even being in the town, because it is associated with their rival team, Celtic. In practice what this leads to is shops having to change the colours of their signs, green streetlights being smashed and even grass being uprooted. It's mind-boggling to think that people could hate something as benign and ubiquitous as the colour green, but there you have it.

Article if you want to read more: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/scottish-town-where-green-is-beyond-the-pale-981747.html

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

Probably familiar to anyone in the UK but I'd never heard of it. Crowd control measures designed to keep fans of opposing teams on separate sides of the stadium at a football match lead to overcrowding; people keep entering without realizing the stadium is at full capacity. Within 20 minutes, 96 people are dead and 766 others are injured. As a bonus, The Sun prints some completely bogus poo poo blaming the fans for the disaster. The editor responsible takes four years to apologize and then retracts his apology, then apologizes again, based on which way the wind's blowing.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

RNG posted:

Probably familiar to anyone in the UK but I'd never heard of it. Crowd control measures designed to keep fans of opposing teams on separate sides of the stadium at a football match lead to overcrowding; people keep entering without realizing the stadium is at full capacity. Within 20 minutes, 96 people are dead and 766 others are injured. As a bonus, The Sun prints some completely bogus poo poo blaming the fans for the disaster. The editor responsible takes four years to apologize and then retracts his apology, then apologizes again, based on which way the wind's blowing.

Liverpool fans still boycott the Sun, IIRC.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Anybody with a brain boycotts the sun, although I'm not sure how much that applies to football fans.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Peanut Butter posted:

To go back to sports chat, one of the most prominent examples for me is Larkhall in Scotland. The football rivalry there is so strong that the majority of the (Rangers supporting) population does not tolerate the colour green even being in the town, because it is associated with their rival team, Celtic. In practice what this leads to is shops having to change the colours of their signs, green streetlights being smashed and even grass being uprooted. It's mind-boggling to think that people could hate something as benign and ubiquitous as the colour green, but there you have it.

Article if you want to read more: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/scottish-town-where-green-is-beyond-the-pale-981747.html
The Old firm is a cancer on Scottish football and society. Disgusting and embarrassing.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

RNG posted:

I remember this mainly from an episode of Cracker, where Robert Carlyle plays a batshit Liverpool fan. That's when I learned their super-catchy football chant "L-I-V -- E-R-P -- Double O Ell, Liverpool FC!" Watching Robert Carlyle mentally disintergrate as he rocks himself chanting that was a real mix of :stare: and :smith:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

its almost like people in big groups tend to make retarded decisions and do poo poo that they wouldn't normally do by themselves.. they really ought to make a formal definition of this phenomenon.. when getting together into a big group, or herd, if you will, causes the individual members' thought processes to converge together and form a collective type of, shall we say.. mentality???

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Freudian posted:

Liverpool fans still boycott the Sun, IIRC.
Liverpool the city still boycotts the Sun.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pharnakes posted:

Anybody with a brain boycotts the sun, although I'm not sure how much that applies to football fans.

i thought goons boycotted the sun (by staying indoors)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

its almost like people in big groups tend to make retarded decisions and do poo poo that they wouldn't normally do by themselves.. they really ought to make a formal definition of this phenomenon.. when getting together into a big group, or herd, if you will, causes the individual members' thought processes to converge together and form a collective type of, shall we say.. mentality???

Nobel prize winning stuff right here. If only you can come up with a name. Something that alliterates would be catchy. 'Mafia mindset?'