Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

HOLY gently caress posted:

Peeve:
Websites that don't tell you whether or not they want you to put spaces in your credit card number when you're buying something. Whichever format you pick first is almost always wrong, and then sometimes they make you type the entire number over again UGH :saddowns:

I never ran into this that I can remember, but I do share the same formatting annoyance with phone numbers. Do they want the area code in parentheses or not? What about the dash? Do they want you to include the country code or not?

In the past several years I've had to move to new countries every couple years and only have a foreign number for the first month or two and this always ends up being a very annoying problem. Even if you enter it correctly some websites will still just reject it because it has a different number of digits than they are expecting. Trust me, it works, stop telling me it's not valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

The one-way to one-way intersection near me is always a strange experience.

Maybe 30% of people know you can left-turn on red.

I think other people get really worked up about it too - or excited about a left-on-red type situation. When I pull up to it and make my requisite stop (like you do at any Red), the person behind me often will instantly honk, as if I don't know I can turn. They're just so excited to go left on red, they just can't wait!

I live right beside an intersection like this and I have to cross it when people try to make their Left on Red turns. It amazes me how many people will do their turn as I am walking directly in front of them when I have the cross walk signal. The dirty looks they give me are hilarious when I just point to the Walk symbol

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Tiggum posted:

What websites make you put spaces in your credit card number?

I know ThinkGeek does at least, my boyfriend ordered from there the other day and put it in as one big number the first time. It came up as invalid and wouldn't work until he put the spaces in. :shrug:

Also here's something I don't get: people around here seem to leave their wallets in their cars a lot or not even bring them to school at all and then act astounded when I tell them they need to have some form of photo ID to check out books. Why would you leave your wallet in the car? Thieves love targeting students and cars get broken into all the time here. Maybe this is just weird to me as someone coming from a place where there are less drivers to one where almost everyone drives but it seems really strange to just go around all day without your wallet.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd get that all the time when I worked at a gas station. Someone would drive up, grab a case of beer and come to the counter.

ID?
:geno: Uh, no. I just need some beer.
Yeah sure but I need an ID for the beer, just like you probably need one for driving so, the gently caress, dude?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

To get to your wishlist in Steam you go through the Store menu, but when you click it it highlights the username menu, and for some reason this messes with my mind so much that I can never remember where it's actually located.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Arrath posted:

I'd get that all the time when I worked at a gas station. Someone would drive up, grab a case of beer and come to the counter.

ID?
:geno: Uh, no. I just need some beer.
Yeah sure but I need an ID for the beer, just like you probably need one for driving so, the gently caress, dude?

It's very :psyduck: to me that Americans can buy beer in places other than government-run liquor stores, or the creatively named "Beer Store™"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

cash crab posted:

It's very :psyduck: to me that Americans can buy beer in places other than government-run liquor stores, or the creatively named "Beer Store™"

Yeah it blew my mind when I moved here and the toy section in the nearby K-mart was sandwiched between the sporting(guns and knives) and booze aisles.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
It varies by state though, in Utah you can only get it from state run stores like in Canadia and in NJ you can't sell it in the same store as a grocery store but liquor stores themselves are ok. That's off the top of my head. There's also shipping laws where you can order alcohol online for private use but varies by state also (some states you can order unlimited, some you can't ship alcohol at all etc). And then in some states you can order booze delivered to home like a pizza delivery. Then there's Mississippi where you can legally have an open container of booze in your car while driving--i.e. there's no law against it.

:911:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Nov 11, 2015

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

To get to your wishlist in Steam you go through the Store menu, but when you click it it highlights the username menu, and for some reason this messes with my mind so much that I can never remember where it's actually located.

You can always bookmark http://steamcommunity.com/id/yoursteamidhere/wishlist in your browser if you just want to quickly check if anything's on sale or whatever.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

It varies by state though, in Utah you can only get it from state run stores like in Canadia and in NJ you can't sell it in the same store as a grocery store but liquor stores themselves are ok. That's off the top of my head. There's also shipping laws where you can order alcohol online for private use but varies by state also (some states you can order unlimited, some you can't ship alcohol at all etc). And then in some states you can order booze delivered to home like a pizza delivery. Then there's Mississippi where you can legally have an open container of booze in your car while driving--i.e. there's no law against it.

Well in Arizona we have drive thru liquor stores!

Peeve: not getting a thank you. An emailed one, a texted one counts! Sending a gift and not hearing back until you ask the person if they got it. This is the main reason I stopped sending anything to a friend's kids: the kids are toddlers, yes, but mom is loving old enough to have manners and at least text me she got the loving box!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Drive thru liquor stores also exist in Ohio.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Thin Privilege posted:

Holy poo poo.

God Bless America.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Missouri lets the passengers drink, too. I didn't know this, however, when my buddies and I went from Illinois to the KC Metro area for a concert. They were in the know, though--as soon as we crossed the state line (if there is anything that remotely resembles an open booze container in the vehicle's cab in Illinois you are so hosed), my friends told me to pull over and they whipped THE MARGARATOR out of the trunk. The thing actually plugs right into your cigarette lighter and lets you make fresh blended drinks from the comfort of your car seat.

Peeve of the day: Wiki-loving-pedia, and specifically people who refer to it as a legitimate source of information. It is an enormous global dry-erase board that hundreds--if not thousands--of people devote time and effort to actively sabotaging. I fuckin' hate hearing "hang on let me check wikipedia" and seeing someone bring it up on his or her phone. "Huh, turns out we were both wrong. The War of 1812 actually started in 1837. Who knew?"

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Missouri lets the passengers drink, too. I didn't know this, however, when my buddies and I went from Illinois to the KC Metro area for a concert. They were in the know, though--as soon as we crossed the state line (if there is anything that remotely resembles an open booze container in the vehicle's cab in Illinois you are so hosed), my friends told me to pull over and they whipped THE MARGARATOR out of the trunk. The thing actually plugs right into your cigarette lighter and lets you make fresh blended drinks from the comfort of your car seat.

Yeah I bet having a gallon-sized appliance in the front of a car is real comfortable. Where the gently caress would you even put it? Did I stumble into the lifehack thread?

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Peeve of the day: Wiki-loving-pedia, and specifically people who refer to it as a legitimate source of information. It is an enormous global dry-erase board that hundreds--if not thousands--of people devote time and effort to actively sabotaging. I fuckin' hate hearing "hang on let me check wikipedia" and seeing someone bring it up on his or her phone. "Huh, turns out we were both wrong. The War of 1812 actually started in 1837. Who knew?"

you can always click the lil citations if you prefer a Legitimate (static) Source of information though
i mean, it's all words somebody wrote and put up on the internet. or put in a book. at least on wikipedia there are bots and an army of obsessive nerds making and reverting changes instead of Here is the canonical word of some guy who wrote this thing, its true forever

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

im full of poo poo posted:

you can always click the lil citations if you prefer a Legitimate (static) Source of information though
i mean, it's all words somebody wrote and put up on the internet. or put in a book. at least on wikipedia there are bots and an army of obsessive nerds making and reverting changes instead of Here is the canonical word of some guy who wrote this thing, its true forever

Having used its references for two degrees, my biggest pet peeve is that unlike many academic books it doesn't have a couple of chapters on "people who have looked at this topic before: irredeemable arseholes or misguided idiots?". Cecil Torr's "Ancient Ships" is FANTASTIC for sheer curmudgeonly viciousness about everyone else in academia.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
you should look at the talk pages for controversial issues sometime
especially ones where the controversial thing is grammar

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

you should look at the talk pages for controversial issues sometime
especially ones where the controversial thing is grammar

When I'm ill I read the talk pages of obscure theological issues. Then I get iller.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tiggum posted:

When you hover over STORE the drop down should have Wishlist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Peeve of the day: Wiki-loving-pedia, and specifically people who refer to it as a legitimate source of information. It is an enormous global dry-erase board that hundreds--if not thousands--of people devote time and effort to actively sabotaging.
Despite this, it's still mostly as accurate a source as you're likely to need in day-to-day life. :shrug:

KoB posted:

When you hover over STORE the drop down should have Wishlist.
Yeah, that's what I mean by it being in the Store menu. When you click anything else in there "STORE" gets highlighted. Click Wishlist and your username gets highlighted instead. It's weirdly inconsistent.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Butt-gently caress retarded American units of measurement. Health reasons have forced me to pay actual constant attention to nutrition, daily intake, recipes, etc. and since lot of info and resources are in English I have to deal with systems that were apparently designed by a whimsical illiterate child. On a farm. In the early 1800's. It's all loving cups, teaspoons, servings and so on. Don't even get me on poo poo like weight or blood sugar I have to watch as well and occasionally convert to Americanisms.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Parents who treat the entire world like their & their kids' personal playground, letting their kids run zig-zaggedly up and down the sidewalk, letting their kids squirm and reposition themselves and cough all over strangers on the train, playing loud movies/shows without headphones for them, blah blah blah. I hate them.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

YeahTubaMike posted:

Parents who treat the entire world like their & their kids' personal playground, letting their kids run zig-zaggedly up and down the sidewalk, letting their kids squirm and reposition themselves and cough all over strangers on the train, playing loud movies/shows without headphones for them, blah blah blah. I hate them.

Not a week goes by without me having to notify a parent that maybe letting their children swing on a railing inside a moving train might not be a good thing and we're not responsible for any of the likely damage that is going to happen as a consequence. You know what with the 120 km/h speed, sharp turns and potential objects on the tracks and full stops that might occur. I've had a few close calls on falling on my face or bumping into a wall hard enough that it hurts and I work there. And yes, there have been injured children when someone wasn't there to notify people. Also running up and down the stairs in a moving train is a bad idea for the same reasons!

Like I get that you're callous enough to not give a poo poo about other people...but I would think every parent would have an interest in not seeing a pool of their child's blood on the floor. I guess not?

DarkCrawler has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Nov 13, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

This is my peeve with people treating it like it's automatically correct just because they found it on Wikipedia. "They have to source all their info, so you know it's legit."

Legit, huh? I sure hope nobody does anything like this:

1. Buy cheap web hosting and legit-looking upper-level domain
2. Craft a legit-looking "research paper" sourced from a legit-looking-but-also-fabricated academic journal
3. Upload .pdf and edit relevant Wikipedia entry

Wikipedia posted:

Scientific research has demonstrated the numerous health benefits of drinking a 42 oz. bottle of shampoo every day 42

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

Butt-gently caress retarded American units of measurement. Health reasons have forced me to pay actual constant attention to nutrition, daily intake, recipes, etc. and since lot of info and resources are in English I have to deal with systems that were apparently designed by a whimsical illiterate child. On a farm. In the early 1800's. It's all loving cups, teaspoons, servings and so on. Don't even get me on poo poo like weight or blood sugar I have to watch as well and occasionally convert to Americanisms.

American born and raised. Funny how I remember covering the imperial system for multiple weeks, back in grammar school and I still don't loving know or care. I think we spent one, single morning on the metric system and I got that poo poo down.

Without Googling, I couldn't, for the life of me, tell you what a quart is.

I'm also positive the NFL is responsible for everyone knowing how many feet are in a yard. Without American football, I bet about 80% of the people who know that 3 feet = 1 yard wouldn't actually know that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

liquorlanche posted:

American born and raised. Funny how I remember covering the imperial system for multiple weeks, back in grammar school and I still don't loving know or care. I think we spent one, single morning on the metric system and I got that poo poo down.

I'm also positive the NFL is responsible for everyone knowing how many feet are in a yard. Without American football, I bet about 80% of the people who know that 3 feet = 1 yard wouldn't actually know that.

I mean, we do have yardsticks here.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

liquorlanche posted:

3 feet = 1 yard is hammered into your head pretty early on. I mean it's not like football tells you what a yard is, they just measure distance in it. You don't hear announcers saying "he gained 3 yards, which by the way is 9 feet...". Elementary shcool education is responsible for everyone knowing how many feet are in a yard.

As much as it's "in" to rag on everything american, the system of measurement in general does make some sense and isn't THAT hard to remember. I mean, quart is one of the easier ones - it's 4 somethings. Four what? Maybe the most common measurement (cups). And then a gallon is four of those. You can't tell just from the name, but once you hear it once it's likely to stick with you unless you're obtuse, deliberately or otherwise. Is it better than metric? No, not really, especially for science, but it's not incomprehensible moonspeak. In certain situations the American way is even preferable - it's a lot easier for me to order a pound of (whatever) from the deli instead of 0.453592 kg, or 0.0714286 stone of it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Murphy Brownback posted:

it's a lot easier for me to order a pound of (whatever) from the deli instead of 0.453592 kg, or 0.0714286 stone of it.

You'd just order half a kilogram you dork. Or you could even order 450 grams, since the metric system is actually intuitive.

e: quart is literally the only unit of measurement that makes any amount of sense. Nothing else does.

KoB has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Nov 14, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

liquorlanche posted:

A quart is a quarter of a gallon :ssh:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Wasn't there a pyf bachelor stuff thread or did I imagine that?

Anyway I have to meet an old friend's toddler for the first time and I'm a little less sober than I probably should be. So my pet peeve is people suddenly bringing their kids to poo poo that was supposed to be just adult time noooo

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Nov 14, 2015

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Inspirational articles about kids who take amazing photos. I've seen a few of these and they're always a: incredibly wealthy and b: suspiciously well-edited. Giving a precocious eight-year-old a five thousand dollar camera with a ten thousand dollar lens, taking him on a trip to the African savannah, and then booting up his photos in Lightroom isn't a miraculous achievement, it's just what happens when you aim expensive equipment in the general direction of picturesque animals.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
When I go to park somewhere and the only spot open is next to some rear end in a top hat who's parked aaaaallll the way to the side of their spot so I have to park way to one side of the spot next to them to be able to get out of my car and then the original rear end in a top hat leaves and it makes me look like the idiot who can't park.

And on a completely separate subject, people who kiss their kids on the mouth. It's weird and gross and creepy.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
When people call up the radio stations and request lovely Canadian music that gets played all the time anyway because of the stupid content laws.

Hedley is worse than Nickelback.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Inspirational articles about kids who take amazing photos.

This is hilariously specific.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

You'd just order half a kilogram you dork. Or you could even order 450 grams, since the metric system is actually intuitive.

e: quart is literally the only unit of measurement that makes any amount of sense. Nothing else does.

The Imperial foot is an awesome and extremely handy unit of measurement :colbert: You can generally express human-scale distances with much simpler numbers in feet than you can in meters/centimeters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If anyone ever used decimeters then the metric system would be just as usable.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The entire point of the metric system is that you can have even, easily understandable fractions of measurements without having to give them specific names. If it's less than a metre you just use tens of cm and if it's more than a metre but not two you can just use a decimal point .

E: My bad, misinterpreted your point. As an aside though, what's supposed to be the big deal about the specific size of a foot? Is the main defense of imperial seriously that a particular measurement is a nice size? :psyduck:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Nov 15, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Decimeters are tens of centimeters. Why don't people just say decimeters. Everyone just jumps from centimeters to meters and uses that as the reason why the imperial system is supposedly more convenient, when the metric system already has a unit about as convenient as the foot. 3 dm is very close to a foot too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

How is 3 decimetres any more convenient to say or understand than 30 centimetres?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tiggum posted:

How is 3 decimetres any more convenient to say or understand than 30 centimetres?

The point is that how is 30 centimetres any better either? Which is a fair point, it's kind of arbitrary to use that in a system based around thousands (is it supposed to be because it's 1% of a metre?) and I know that engineers, carpenters etc. prefer tens of mm.