Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Possibly Chicken posted:

So I know a guy who took a nascar fan council survey, and nascar asked his opinion on putting basically the Chase in the xfinity series and not letting cup drivers race in the series.

This would be awesome. A chase with no winners because of the Cup drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

daslog posted:

"So I know a guy who took a nascar fan council survey, and nascar asked his opinion on putting basically the Chase in the xfinity series and not letting cup drivers race in the series."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ok, so if they ban Cup drivers, that frees up the 20, 22, 33, 54, and 88. Who gets them?

If Blaney doesn't go to Cup, he's a given for the 22. The 54 has Erik Jones written all over it given he hasn't been named in KBM's Truck plans. I think Brandon Jones is going to RCR, which would take up the 33. The 88 could be a young driver merry-go-round. You'd figure Regan Smith has earned a ride somewhere; maybe JGR gives him a shot in the 20.

All of this sponsorship-permitting, mind you. Wouldn't surprise me at all for Monster, who had said "We'll consider doing NXS again, too" to go "Welp, later" to JGR.

daslog posted:

It just dawned on me that the only way the Xfinity Chase is going to work without being the most ridiculous thing imaginable is to kick the Cup drivers. Which brings me to:

Peanut President posted:

"So I know a guy who took a nascar fan council survey, and nascar asked his opinion on putting basically the Chase in the xfinity series and not letting cup drivers race in the series."

He misread that post, but you (and everybody here) know that probably wouldn't be the only scenario the geniuses at NASCAR would propose.

Just spitballin'...

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 12, 2015

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I could've sworn JGR has already said that Erik Jones is full-time next year in Xfinity.

And yeah, banning Cup drivers wouldn't mean young drivers fill those empty seats, it more than likely means those seats go away.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I mean is that so bad? If Grand National can't exist without cup drivers treating it as a glorified practice session, then why have it?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ok, so if they ban Cup drivers, that frees up the 20, 22, 33, 54, and 88. Who gets them?

If Blaney doesn't go to Cup, he's a given for the 22. The 54 has Erik Jones written all over it given he hasn't been named in KBM's Truck plans. I think Brandon Jones is going to RCR, which would take up the 33. The 88 could be a young driver merry-go-round. You'd figure Regan Smith has earned a ride somewhere; maybe JGR gives him a shot in the 20.

All of this sponsorship-permitting, mind you. Wouldn't surprise me at all for Monster, who had said "We'll consider doing NXS again, too" to go "Welp, later" to JGR.

It just dawned on me that the only way the Xfinity Chase is going to work without being the most ridiculous thing imaginable is to kick the Cup drivers. Which brings me to:

He misread that post, but you (and everybody here) know that probably wouldn't be the only scenario the geniuses at NASCAR would propose.

Just spitballin'...

Yea I totally read that wrong. I have visions of an Xfinity chase with ineligible cup drivers mixed in and taking all the wins.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Top 12 in Xfinity points leaving Chicago which would've, in theory, been this year's cutoff race for the Chase. This does not account for Ryan Blaney, who won races and was eligible for points, but didn't run all the races (I assume they'd "give him an exemption"):

quote:

1 Chris Buescher (2 Wins) 945
2 Ty Dillon 920 -25
3 Chase Elliott (Win) 917 -28
4 Regan Smith (Win) 894 -51
5 Elliott Sadler 839 -106
6 Darrell Wallace, Jr. 838 -107
7 Daniel Suarez 830 -115
8 Brian Scott 825 -120
9 Brendan Gaughan 798 -147
10 Ryan Reed (Win) 716 -229
11 Jeremy Clements 641 -304
12 Ross Chastain 624 -321

JJ Yeley missed the Chase by two points. File that under "Things I never thought I'd say".

In other news:

quote:

Casey Mears ‏@CJMearsGang 55m55 minutes ago Phoenix, AZ
Really proud to be a part of @GermainRacing and @GEICORacing for another 3 years!!

Got some weird contracts being handed out this year, but good on Casey Mears.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Yes, but did he get AJ Allmendinger money?

E:

quote:

Adam Stern
‏@A_S12

Currently alliance-less NASCAR team @BKRacing_2383 is looking to change that by aligning w/ @JoeGibbsRacing, Owner Ron Devine tells @SBJSBD.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

I mean is that so bad? If Grand National can't exist without cup drivers treating it as a glorified practice session, then why have it?

nobody ever holds being a big fish in a small pond against Steve Kinser, wtf

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Peanut President posted:

I don't think it's bad at all. There would be a couple years of small fields, but once teams realized that they'd have to cut costs big time if they wanted to survive I think the racing would be better and more competitive.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

nobody ever holds being a big fish in a small pond against Steve Kinser, wtf

Outlaws are a higher echelon of racing than any NASCAR series, lets be honest.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
which is why Kinser gets called King without any hint of irony by those guys

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2015/11/13/when-brian-france-told-jeff-gordon-about-chase-format-in-2003-gordon-did-this/

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I bet literally every driver thought the same thing.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rico Abreu is making his trucks debut tonight, which is cool.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Is it a short track?

:v:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Hire Jeff Gordon to call bad ideas bad

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Sauter and Crafton in one fell swoop.

I like it.

Edit: Red flag for what?

Harry J
Nov 8, 2004

LS-WHAT???!!!!????!!!!

mischief posted:

Sauter and Crafton in one fell swoop.

I like it.

:allears:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

mischief posted:

Edit: Red flag for what?

NASCAR "fair play" heh.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

gently caress your goddamn headline. When I Read Clickbait Headlines You'll Never Guess What I Did Next With This Axe.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Peanut President posted:

gently caress your goddamn headline. When I Read Clickbait Headlines You'll Never Guess What I Did Next With This Axe.

Well I'm clicking your post cause I want to know what you'll do with that axe.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Muddy Burphy posted:

I don't think it's bad at all. There would be a couple years of small fields, but once teams realized that they'd have to cut costs big time if they wanted to survive I think the racing would be better and more competitive.

This is close to my thoughts on the issue. Before Cup drivers completely took over the series, there were drivers who were series regulars that you would watch for. The Cup guys were kind of a cool addition at some of the bigger races, but 90% of the time you knew the "stars" of the series and it was different enough from the Cup races that it was interesting. Now, if you remove the Cup drivers, there will be an immediate loss of interest until the series can build itself back up from under the shadow of BushWackers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The best. :allears:

Peanut President posted:

Why, yes. Your views interest me and I will click here for more information.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

SpitztheGreat posted:

This is close to my thoughts on the issue. Before Cup drivers completely took over the series, there were drivers who were series regulars that you would watch for. The Cup guys were kind of a cool addition at some of the bigger races, but 90% of the time you knew the "stars" of the series and it was different enough from the Cup races that it was interesting. Now, if you remove the Cup drivers, there will be an immediate loss of interest until the series can build itself back up from under the shadow of BushWackers.

Plus with the smaller fields you'd actually get guys from the area that would put a car together and go. At least when they would be in New Hampshire you'd get guys that were racing Busch North put a Busch car together, throw Teddy Christopher in the seat and try to make it. Then Teddy would wreck somebody on lap 3 and they'd park it for the day but it was always kind of exciting to see a local guy try and make the field.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Q: Do I make you Hornish?
A: Apparently for Richard Petty Motorsports, the answer is No for 2016.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SpitztheGreat posted:

Back in my day, and Christ it makes me feel old to use that saying, you would have three different fields of drivers in the three top series. The best drivers in Cup were Gordon, Earnhardt, Martin, Jarrett, Labonte, etc. Busch had Bodine, LaJoie, McLaughlin, and Green. Trucks had Sprague, Hornaday, Bickle, and Ruttman.

You would see Buschwhacker involvement in Busch, and to a much lesser extent Trucks, but it was nowhere near as a rampant as it's been since 04. Both lower series were a mix of up and comers and Cup washouts. The charm of each was they had somewhere to go race and be competitive, often with a solid chance of beating the Cup drivers.

Of course, if NASCAR leaves Cup drivers eligible and adds a Chase, I'm probably never watching the Xfinity Series again.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2015/11/12/nascar-teams-watch-garage-spies/75676522/

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

Back in my day, and Christ it makes me feel old to use that saying, you would have three different fields of drivers in the three top series. The best drivers in Cup were Gordon, Earnhardt, Martin, Jarrett, Labonte, etc. Busch had Bodine, LaJoie, McLaughlin, and Green. Trucks had Sprague, Hornaday, Bickle, and Ruttman.

You would see Buschwhacker involvement in Busch, and to a much lesser extent Trucks, but it was nowhere near as a rampant as it's been since 04. Both lower series were a mix of up and comers and Cup washouts. The charm of each was they had somewhere to go race and be competitive, often with a solid chance of beating the Cup drivers.

Of course, if NASCAR leaves Cup drivers eligible and adds a Chase, I'm probably never watching the Xfinity Series again.

This is the way I recall it as well - each of the three series had a unique identity based on their stars. These days, XFINITY is just Cup with worse paint schemes and more lapped traffic.

EDIT:

I need to find a way to sell information from Levine Family Racing to Premium Motorsports.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 14, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

well back in my day there were Busch races that had more Cup drivers than Busch drivers, so I dunno

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah but GNS was like, barely a national series in the 80s, people are mainly talking about like, 1993-2005-ish when you actually had fairly decent-budget Busch operations going around and a cast of regulars alongside the regular Mark Martin stompings.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
well, considering the series started in 1950, pining for a 12 year window when things weren't like they were before or since seems rather silly

e- if someone has the patience and skill to look, I'll bet the first year that series had every race televised was around the time Dale Jr. was in the series and you had Cup guys in every race

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm pretty sure that it was around 1993, when TNN got into NASCAR and were putting as much of it on as they could- before that, ESPN would show Daytona, Charlotte, IRP (used to be one of the biggest Busch weekends of the year), and a few other assorted races.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
And yeah, of course people are going to pine for the golden period of the series. And the thing is, prior to that, the series at least had the excuse of being small-time. Right now, it's the worst of both worlds, where they don't have any of the old-school GNS flavor of being a regional, short-track-based series that only sometimes raced at superspeedways, but also the field quality stinks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
In a day when even Cup has most of their races on cable, I'd rather have televised Xfinity loaded with Cup guys on TV over no Cup guys and no TV. National short track series like ARCA don't have all their races televised, and stuff like USAC and WoO are barely televised.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

In a day when even Cup has most of their races on cable, I'd rather have televised Xfinity loaded with Cup guys on TV over no Cup guys and no TV. National short track series like ARCA don't have all their races televised, and stuff like USAC and WoO are barely televised.

Who cares if GN is televised if nobody watches it?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Why is it that it only rains in Arizona and Nevada when NASCAR comes to town?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CBJSprague24 posted:

Why is it that it only rains in Arizona and Nevada when NASCAR comes to town?

Remember when Georga was going through such a drought that it was a national story and then there was water in the gasoline at Atlanta? :ironicat:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

November 15, 1992: Jeff Gordon makes his Winston Cup debut in Richard Petty's final race.

November 15, 2015: Ryan Ellis makes his Sprint Cup debut in Jeff Gordon's next-to-last race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Are they gonna get the race in today?

• Locked thread