Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

In It For The Tank posted:

No. It triggers an alert status, not a combat alert, so a defender isn't notified.

e: It turns out that the two-beam IR sensors can be dived through without triggering them. And that it's really easy because the game is generous about not detecting you diving through the beams.

I guess that's what the 3 beam version is for.

Since the IR sensor was the first upgraded security device I could unlock, I went ahead and researched it. Maybe in 4 days when it's done I can see if I catch anyone trying to crawl under it.

That's bs that it doesn't call a defender. IR sensor, and anti theft should call the defender of they're tripped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Aha, somebody did have Quiet beat Quiet and they were also Quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ1d2PQ2f1s

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I hate how static fob invasions are getting. Good players simply memorize and exploit guard behavior. I had a bunch of ideas that would make it a lot more balanced for both sides:

-Sneaking suit can't be detected by guard NVG and reduces noctocyanin detection range by 50%

-Shooting the invader no longer triggers an alert; the defender must keep him fixed in his int scope for X seconds. The time required is based on defender Intel level and invader camo factor.

-Decoys get revealed on defenders map as possible enemy locations.

-Any mines the invader placed on non core struts persist if the defender arrives.

-Each strut has a switch to disable lights and security devices to that strut. Guards will come to investigate and try to turn it back on. Disabling all 3 also disables security and lights on the core and prevents them from coming back on. Once 2 out of 3 struts have power disabled, the defender is warned.

-Killing a defender adds 2 minutes to the blockade timer. Fultoning him adds 5 minutes, back up to whatever the maximum was.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've had my nuke for a while and haven't been invade at all fwiw

Welp, what I get out of this is that the nuclear equipped targets tabbed works, but still only about half the time

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Panfilo posted:

I hate how static fob invasions are getting. Good players simply memorize and exploit guard behavior. I had a bunch of ideas that would make it a lot more balanced for both sides:

-Sneaking suit can't be detected by guard NVG and reduces noctocyanin detection range by 50%

-Shooting the invader no longer triggers an alert; the defender must keep him fixed in his int scope for X seconds. The time required is based on defender Intel level and invader camo factor.

-Decoys get revealed on defenders map as possible enemy locations.

-Any mines the invader placed on non core struts persist if the defender arrives.

-Each strut has a switch to disable lights and security devices to that strut. Guards will come to investigate and try to turn it back on. Disabling all 3 also disables security and lights on the core and prevents them from coming back on. Once 2 out of 3 struts have power disabled, the defender is warned.

-Killing a defender adds 2 minutes to the blockade timer. Fultoning him adds 5 minutes, back up to whatever the maximum was.

I think it's kind of bullshit the defender can keep coming back over and over again. I didn't even know that's how it worked so the first time I ever had one pop in I killed the guy and relaxed after that only to have him reappear and grab me from behind.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Not only that, but his respawn timer is shorter than the time it takes to clear the alarm. You've got to take him out WITHOUT EVEN GETTING HIT AT ALL and rush to the core before he respawns. It takes either dumb luck or a real bad defender. And that's what's bad- an invader can whiz through a top guarded fob in 3ish minutes with no recourse from the defender, but if the defender is there it swings the opposite extreme. Half the time I defend the invader just kills himself rather than try.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Do you have to play Mission 11, Seven straight times to get Quiet again? Or just seven total? I'm pretty sure I played it 7 times (not in a row) and its not triggering

Edit: Ah nvm got it to work.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 14, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Look Sir Droids posted:

I misinterpreted what you said. Do you just point blank murder the Skulls then?
The Serval murders the Skulls, but you can cleave their skull if they give you their machete when the last one does its teleport swing.

ayn rand hand job posted:

are you confusing it with the sneaking suit...?

Stealth camo isn't a suit. Its a support item.

Final stealth camo better than camo parasites because it's rechargeable and doesn't eat through parasites.
Suit is the wrong word. The early ones are really weak. I didn't know there was a rechargeable one.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Serval murders the Skulls, but you can cleave their skull if they give you their machete when the last one does its teleport swing.

I meant you just run right up to them and shoot them with the Serval twice at close range rather than snipe them from distance.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Is getting all the side objectives on the modified missions a requirement for 100%?

Just heard two Soviet soldiers have a conversation about Stanislav Petrov (though they didn't mention his name). This game owns.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 14, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Scalding Coffee posted:

I didn't know there was a rechargeable one.

I was confused too. You need a key item to develop it off the final third prototype, so don't totally ignore researching those. It eats 200 precious metals per deployment, but it's so worth it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is there a trick to hitting floating boy on Voices? He just blips around when I fire at him.

That, and most of the listen to conversation ones are about the only side objectives I have left. I saved those for last foolishly hoping they'll maybe fix them someday instead of patching in garbage online stuff

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Use an LMG and keep shooting, you'll hit him eventually. You may have to MO the man on fire twice.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

The Milkman posted:

Is there a trick to hitting floating boy on Voices? He just blips around when I fire at him.

That, and most of the listen to conversation ones are about the only side objectives I have left. I saved those for last foolishly hoping they'll maybe fix them someday instead of patching in garbage online stuff

He's guaranteed to dodge your bullets, for X number of hits. After enough of them, you'll tag him and win. Someone said it's 20? Just keep shooting, you'll almost certainly require multiple stuns to do it. Keep at it, each time he dodges brings you closer to the hit.

I saw a thing where someone's support level was high enough, he could deploy a box on top of the dude and bonk the boy with it before he disappears. Support has to be pretty high for that to work though.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 14, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is getting all the side objectives on the modified missions a requirement for 100%?

Just heard two Soviet soldiers have a conversation about Stanislav Petrov (though they didn't mention his name). This game owns.

Yes, but most of the side objectives are trivial with stealth camo.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The two guards talking about 1984 is the loving best.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Look Sir Droids posted:

I meant you just run right up to them and shoot them with the Serval twice at close range rather than snipe them from distance.
Sure. I think they have invincibility frames, but my second shot or with Quiet, took one out before they disappeared after a hit.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

many johnnys posted:

He's guaranteed to dodge your bullets, for X number of hits. After enough of them, you'll tag him and win. Someone said it's 20? Just keep shooting, you'll almost certainly require multiple stuns to do it. Keep at it, each time he dodges brings you closer to the hit.

I saw a thing where someone's support level was high enough, he could deploy a box on top of the dude and bonk the boy with it before he disappears. Support has to be pretty high for that to work though.

I did it with a box and I didn't have a very high Support team at the time (couldn't have been more than 30 or so?) I think the box must home in on him or something because it only took me two tries. I can't remember clearly, but it might've been that I ordered the box before I even stunned the Man On Fire with the Water Tower. Then blew the C4 on the tower struts when he was walking towards me.

I never even tried the 'shoot at him 20 times' thing, but could be that works too?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh my god extreme traitors caravan is bullshit

I'm thinking i just try to beat it the same way I beat the normal version, running away as fast as possible

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Fulton ballista utterly breaks traitors caravan.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hobo By Design posted:

Oh I don't have that. Maybe I'll come back to this mission. I've been trying to kill the skulls with d Walker but they can kill you while you're riding it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzrBMsaTbbQ

:911:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Haha I had left C2W un-S-ranked and now I know what I'll be doing.

Helicopter loadout works for subsistence too, right? Or will my chopper be stripped down without armor and I'll get shot down if I attempt this on subsistence?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wait so when you down the radar of a base you can call in the chopper and it will kill stuff and not be considered a support strike?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

So I just had my first encounter with another player, he came to defend his base and I blasted him with my (silenced lol) non-lethal shotgun, and I fultoned him twice then reached the core.

What do I get for that, just espionage points?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait so when you down the radar of a base you can call in the chopper and it will kill stuff and not be considered a support strike?

Correct. So Subsistence missions still allow you to call the helicopter for 'pickup' and have it wreck havoc on enemy forces. It's a great diversion in total stealth missions as well.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Correct. So Subsistence missions still allow you to call the helicopter for 'pickup' and have it wreck havoc on enemy forces. It's a great diversion in total stealth missions as well.

Awesome! I need to upgrade mine it's still like totally unupgraded to keep the cost down

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Scalding Coffee posted:

Suit is the wrong word. The early ones are really weak. I didn't know there was a rechargeable one.

Yeah, the one you can make after Mission 43 is a lot better than Camo parasites for quality of life. I think technically camo parasites offer a slightly better stealth, but the difference is so minor that the fact that for a non-recurring cost of 200 PM, you have stealth as needed

The battery for stealth camo last a goddamn long time too and recharges fairly fast as well.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I've now done A Hero's Way twice and not gotten the neutralize the target from 100m away. First time, dude got Serval'd from 101m, this time I knocked him it, planted C4 all around him then ran away. Still nothing. What the gently caress? Is this a bug? I am certain both times I was over 100m away.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Knocking him out was probably your neutralization. Like how if you CQC someone KO'd and then shoot them in the head you don't get a headshot.

Probably 101 was too close to 100, because I've sniped him from 105ish and others and gotten it fine.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ambivalent posted:

Knocking him out was probably your neutralization. Like how if you CQC someone KO'd and then shoot them in the head you don't get a headshot.

Probably 101 was too close to 100, because I've sniped him from 105ish and others and gotten it fine.

Well, poo poo. Didn't think about it like that, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know I did it the way you described. Knocked him out, planted C4, then ran away. So unless they specifically patched that method out you shouldn't be using up your "neutralization credit" or whatever.

Also yeah if you do it at 101m you are asking the game to not count it jeez.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Hobo By Design posted:

Horse breaks Traitors Caravan.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Horse breaks Traitors Caravan.
This is true. I did both the normal and extreme versions with an S-rank just hoofing it over to the airport, fultoning the truck immediately after the Skulls appeared, called D-Horse the requisite eight times for him to find me, hopped on and got out of there with nary a flesh wound. Full Battle Dress on both me and my mighty steed helped.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think he means it "breaks" Traitor's Caravan in the sense that it actually breaks the scripting by allowing you to Fulton the truck without triggering the appearance of the Skulls.

Of course the Fulton Ballista is rank-restricting so you can't get an S with it, but that's still fairly funny.

EDIT: Completely unrelated, has anyone unlocked the underbarrel Wu yet? I have it going, 8d from completion, and have considered spending all those free MB Coins I've been getting on it, but I dunno. The underbarrel AM D114 is unsuppressed (and thus mostly worthless), but the Grade 8 Wu has an integral suppressor so I wonder if that transitions to its underbarrel form as well.

Basically it's the difference between an absurdly OP underbarrel and a worthless one, so I kinda want to know.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 14, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I doubt it will have one, because none of the other underbarrel weapons have supressors. But I could be wrong. Given the cost it is possible.

It seems like several of the weapons simply contain some integral component (rank 2/3 suppressor for example) which is probably going to be used on a cheaper gun. The insane deployment costs point to it.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I like to imagine giving the Skulls a rude surprise, as they jump out thousands of feet in the air.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Panfilo posted:

It seems like several of the weapons simply contain some integral component (rank 2/3 suppressor for example) which is probably going to be used on a cheaper gun. The insane deployment costs point to it.
Yeah the very first things I started on were the MACHT 37 and AM MRS-7-R because of the rank 3 suppressors on them, since those can swap around to other guns. I'm not sure but the G44K may also contain a special foregrip, but that wasn't as high a priority as suppressors that can be spread around to other SMGs/Pistols and ARs/Snipers.

Other things that look interesting: The M2000-D (bolt-action sniper) has "magnum round conversion" at Grade 8 which on all other guns that have it is an enormous damage increase. It seems like they stealthily nerfed the bodyshot damage of even the Grade 7 AM MRS-71 sniper rifle as it no longer is a guaranteed critical wound on bodyshots against Grade 5 Battle Dress, so the M2000 may be the only weapon capable of killing/incapacitating FOB guards in one shot, especially once Grade 6 Battle Dress becomes commonplace.

EDIT: Granted that may not matter once you have a 3 bar suppressor on the 71 since you can convert it to 7.68 and run around with 300 rounds and probably over 120 of them suppressed.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 14, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Gonna be an interesting FOB arms race as people start getting the next rank of Sneaking Suit/Battle Dress and proportionally stronger guns to deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
FOB2 built with today's MB coin reward :toot:

• Locked thread