Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Sum Mors posted:

Listening to the commentary and holy poo poo. Wrestling would be more entertaining if it were still like this for all the wrong reasons.

you need to go watch some attitude era raws. attitude era goldust and king is the tops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
KING: well aren't you, y'know. . .queer?

GOLDUST: NO. (punches King)

And that was how you did a babyface turn in 1997.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Karmine posted:

KING: well aren't you, y'know. . .queer?

GOLDUST: NO. (punches King)

Wrestling is really loving gross

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Under the vegetable posted:

you need to go watch some attitude era raws. attitude era goldust and king is the tops
"You got Goldust running around here like a flaming fag!"

Karmine posted:

Reminder that revealing "We're not gay!" got Billy and Chuck a huge pop in 2002.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Wrestling is an industry of carny dirtbags doing carny dirtbag things for our voyeuristic amusement and the carnier and dirter it is the better. That's why it's so fun to follow Mexico cause they offer the wild west vibe that US wrestling has lost on the main stage.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

sticklefifer posted:

"You got Goldust running around here like a flaming fag!"

Reminder that revealing "We're not gay!" got Billy and Chuck a huge pop in 2002.

I legit didn't watch wrestling again until 2007 over Billy and Chuck. I dunno why I was ok with Goldust freaking dudes out by touching himself as a heel move but "were are gay and that's enough to get heat" was enough to get me to not care about wrasslin for a while.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

I legit didn't watch wrestling again until 2007 over Billy and Chuck. I dunno why I was ok with Goldust freaking dudes out by touching himself as a heel move but "were are gay and that's enough to get heat" was enough to get me to not care about wrasslin for a while.

Goldust always reminded me of Marilyn Manson or someone similar who was just a freak on purpose to get under people's skin so he didn't really bother me at the time. Of course I didn't watch wrestling regularly til mid 99 so I didn't see the King poo poo and presumably other blatantly homophobic skits. Billy and chuck were just plain playing on people's disgust of gays in an arena setting and it was horribly uncomfortable

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

And that's why I tend to be rather wary around the kind of people who say things like "we should go back to the Attitude Era!!" I like my wrestling without homophobic, racist, transphobic caricatures and commentary, thank you very much

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm glad we were all able to share our feelings guys. Really brought us all closer I feel.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I hate homophobia and racism too

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Bless you, sir.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Luneshot posted:

And that's why I tend to be rather wary around the kind of people who say things like "we should go back to the Attitude Era!!" I like my wrestling without homophobic, racist, transphobic caricatures and commentary, thank you very much

I think it was the APA who had to search for someone in a gay bar, and WWE's idea of a gay man at the bar was literally a normal bearded dude wearing a blonde wig and a dress over his regular clothes. It was probably the most embarrassing segment I've ever seen and I'm pretty sure they cut back to the bar later and showed everyone beaten up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Pretty sure the apa were the gayest dudes around since they were always pounding rear end.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

sticklefifer posted:

I think it was the APA who had to search for someone in a gay bar, and WWE's idea of a gay man at the bar was literally a normal bearded dude wearing a blonde wig and a dress over his regular clothes. It was probably the most embarrassing segment I've ever seen and I'm pretty sure they cut back to the bar later and showed everyone beaten up.

I went and found and ripped the segment.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxBFmoeXCup7aXVKSl90aUNIZFU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

lmao

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hahahahaha

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That's the one. I'd say that's even worse than Lawler calling someone a flaming human being in the 90s because trash TV was the zeitgeist then, where by 2002 gay panic was mostly considered an embarrassing relic and tied to nu metal white bros (which WWE was at the time). Canada legalized same-sex marriage only a year later.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

2002......Canada legalized same-sex marriage only a year later.

And the United States did the same the next year.....oh wait.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

good joke

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

that was some straight up Police Academy poo poo right there

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

This is really embarrassing but I expected this to be so much worse and feature them destroying the bar and all the people in it.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Holy poo poo this was in 2002 and is awful

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Gay guys don't all wear dresses all the time?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Gay guys don't all wear dresses all the time?

No,sometimes they take themoff tohave sex with you in a public bathroom. Coz that's what they all want to do. To you. Personally.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BrigadierSensible posted:

No,sometimes they take themoff tohave sex with you in a public bathroom. Coz that's what they all want to do. To you. Personally.

But they keep their wigs on. Their cheap costume store wigs. Which are an entirely mismatched shade from their full beards.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BrigadierSensible posted:

sticklefifer posted:

But they keep their wigs on. Their cheap costume store wigs. Which are an entirely mismatched shade from their full beards.

This is all super interesting I'm gonna try this out.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I would have sex with all this white boys

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Wow racist much?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wrestling is really loving gross

One time the Real Man's Man Steve Regal was going to wrestle the Godfather. Godfather offered him a ho. He said "sure I'll take your hos!" and headed up the ramp with the ho train behind him. Godfather's response was to call him a human being and tell him to get back here with his hos.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Things that only make sense in wrestling: A manly man who would rather bang a bunch of pretty women than grope around a mat with another sweaty man is a total homo.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Luigi Thirty posted:

One time the Real Man's Man Steve Regal was going to wrestle the Godfather. Godfather offered him a ho. He said "sure I'll take your hos!" and headed up the ramp with the ho train behind him. Godfather's response was to call him a human being and tell him to get back here with his hos.

Wasn't the original plan with him, before drugs kinda halted everything, was to reveal that the Real Man's Man thing was that he was gay, hence that he's a Real Man for Men?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Wasn't the original plan with him, before drugs kinda halted everything, was to reveal that the Real Man's Man thing was that he was gay, hence that he's a Real Man for Men?

I seem to recall Regal mentioning in this in his AoW interview, yeah.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Vince had just seen Monty Python's "I'm a Lumberjack" for the first time

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Now, I can't read Japanese, but he does look very happy with himself.

Also, we need more wrestlers on food packaging.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

And the United States did the same the next year.....oh wait.

Massachusetts did.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

tana better watch before sweets makabe finds out that he's stealing his gimmick

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Clearly they both need to learn about snack pine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e83nU6UxCw

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Going through old pics hell yeah.

Daniel Bryan's diagrams.

edit:

edit 2:

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag