Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
I've only logged in once for each app - YouTube, Hulu, vevo, Netflix, HBO now, and Airbnb (lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Rick Sanchez posted:

All this talk of having to sign into apps repeatedly has be baffled. I've owned every Apple TV from gen 1 and have never had this problem.

Is it widespread?

It's only on the network tv apps, not Netflix or anything.

That being said, I haven't had any problems yet on the new one.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Generally, all the "TV Anytime" apps that require cable access (other than HBOGo, because they're not stupid). Showtime, Fox, and FX are the worst offenders.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
I kind of feel this way about the new ATV: http://perezonomics.com/1/post/2015/11/thoughts-on-the-new-apple-tv-and-its-coverage-by-the-tech-press.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not only have I not had to log into any apps more than once, I can't even log into youtube on ATV4 so I'm at a big fat 0 there.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Its

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Totally

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Not only have I not had to log into any apps more than once, I can't even log into youtube on ATV4 so I'm at a big fat 0 there.

Perhaps its time to get an Apple Store involved?

Edit:

This is why I like the Ars review. Yes, they point out that the keyboard is awful and putting in your password is a pain. However, they also point out the obvious that you do only do it once for each service and then never again.

I think they mentioned the keyboard/signing in only once more in a summary portion at the end.

I'd love to hear from an tvOS dev about what the possibilities are with linking up with Siri. I know we're all waiting for YouTube to implement a voice search but I'm wondering if that's even possible.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 10, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Perhaps its time to get an Apple Store involved?

I don't know, everything else is working well and they're not going to care much about a third party app at this point.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's obviously not functioning right as everyone else is able to log into youtube. It's either something wrong with your specific apple TV or your Google account. Apple store could at least narrow it down by you trying it within their store. They are good at facilitating troubleshooting.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

Skip forward isn't working for me at all. If I press on the right edge of the pad. It shows the icon, but doesn't do anything else. Skip back works fine. This is on both iTunes home sharing and stuff streamed from Apple. Annoying!

I figured this out. If you press the button too far to the right (like right on the edge), then it doesn't skip. Even though tapping in the same place shows the skip forward hint icon.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GutBomb posted:

It's obviously not functioning right as everyone else is able to log into youtube. It's either something wrong with your specific apple TV or your Google account. Apple store could at least narrow it down by you trying it within their store. They are good at facilitating troubleshooting.

I don't necessarily disagree but I've seen reports that others aren't able to log in as well so it's likely something to do with the google account. I'll try the fruit store later since I'll be in the neighborhood but I'm not optimistic.

I appreciate the effort though :)

edit: I fixed it. I have two "youtube accounts" on my google profile. One is my real name, one is martytoof. Martytoof has all my subscriptions, etc., and my real name one has nothing. When I go to youtube.com/activate I always picked Martytoof. This time on a whim I picked my real name just to see if it would work. I was presented with a second screen that again asked me to pick my account, this time I picked my Martytoof account. So in the end the process was "real name" account -> "fake" account. And now it shows as being logged in.

Has to be some bug in the Google profile system but gently caress it, at least it works now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 11, 2015

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
The 'up next' window in the Disney XD (and probably the other Disney apps) makes me want to kill myself. It's huge, and it shows up with something like 3-4 minutes left in the show you're watching. Did I mention that there's no way to dismiss it?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So there's a new Guitar Hero game in the App Store that says it "REQUIRES the Bluetooth GUITAR CONTROLLER to play (available at your local or online retailer)".

Which is pretty funny considering all the brouhaha over Apple requiring games to be compatible with the Siri remote.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
During music playback, is it just a static image of the album cover the whole time? That "flip" on the old ATV was great for Plasma TVs or any type of screen that might have an issue with image retention. Kind of like a screen saver without having to use the actual screen saver.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone had issues with WiFi on the new ATV4? A couple times in the last few days it's not been able to see my (or any) wifi networks and required a restart.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Feenix posted:

Anyone had issues with WiFi on the new ATV4? A couple times in the last few days it's not been able to see my (or any) wifi networks and required a restart.

Yeah, I've had to restart mine a couple times for Wi-Fi, and a few too many times for other issues as well. The software on this thing is surprisingly buggy right now.

Still pretty nice, though. My girlfriend and I are loving playing through Lumino City together.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
Ok, I feel really dumb for having to ask this, since this should be obvious. How do apps update on the ATV4?

Both MacOS and iOS allow me to go their respective app stores and let me see what updates are available or have been installed. Where do I find this on the ATV? Or is it all automatic and there's no way for me to find out if something has updated/can be updated?

Just to be clear: I'm asking about app updates, not updates of tvOS.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
It seems to be automatic. There isn't an update page, which I would love. There is a blue dot next to any newly updated apps , just like iOS.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've only ever seen 1 app update, and it's the WatchESPN app.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

coke zero mit mayo posted:

Both MacOS and iOS allow me to go their respective app stores and let me see what updates are available or have been installed. Where do I find this on the ATV? Or is it all automatic and there's no way for me to find out if something has updated/can be updated?

In the App Store, under the Purchased section, is a list of your updates and release notes.

Edit: After looking, this seems to be unreliable. If you want to see what changed in an updated app (with a blue dot next to the name), you can go to the app store and click the version history link at the bottom of the app's page. Not ideal.

vtlock fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 13, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Settings>Apps has the ability to turn on and off "Automatically Update Apps;" it defaults to Apple's preferred "On."

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Seems like a small thing, and maybe you could do this on older Apple TVs, but I just discovered, totally by accident, that you can trigger the screensaver on the new ATV whenever you want.

1) on the home screen, either highlight the far top, left icon or press the menu button (NOT the home button) until it automatically highlights the far top, left icon

2) once the top, left icon is selected, press the menu button again. This should automatically trigger whatever screensaver you have set

We have a lot of people over to hang out and our photo screensaver is always a great topic of conversation, so knowing how to activate it without going through the settings is fantastic.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Rick Sanchez posted:

Seems like a small thing, and maybe you could do this on older Apple TVs, but I just discovered, totally by accident, that you can trigger the screensaver on the new ATV whenever you want.

1) on the home screen, either highlight the far top, left icon or press the menu button (NOT the home button) until it automatically highlights the far top, left icon

2) once the top, left icon is selected, press the menu button again. This should automatically trigger whatever screensaver you have set

We have a lot of people over to hang out and our photo screensaver is always a great topic of conversation, so knowing how to activate it without going through the settings is fantastic.

You can just double tap the menu button as well I believe.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I discovered this app last night. Pretty great.
http://www.techhive.com/article/2945801/pluto-tv-is-the-best-cord-cutting-app-youre-not-using.html

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Bought one of these 'cause I'm dumb.

The new remote is so much better. I hated the old one. Having the text input be a straight line instead of a grid is actually better for it, too. You can do a quick/long swipe to move it closer to far away letters, then tap the edge of the touch pad to move single spaces for the specific letter. It's not as bad as this thread made it seem, but I can see how it might be harder for people who don't have experience judging virtual momentum from years of playing video games or whatever.

They're still idiots for supposedly abandoning the iOS app.

Also it's funny that for all the fuss made about games being required to work with the remote, every single game makes sure to specify whether or not the remote will work. It's like they know they're going to remove the requirement but they're waiting for enough people to ask first.

$10 was a lot to ask for Beat Sports... :\

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So maybe this is really obvious, but how do you skip ahead in a YouTube playlist? holding right on the remote just presents the FF10 icon, can't find any other way to do it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Martytoof posted:

So maybe this is really obvious, but how do you skip ahead in a YouTube playlist? holding right on the remote just presents the FF10 icon, can't find any other way to do it.

I've been wondering this too, I think i even already asked in this thread. Except I'm looking to skip episodes in a Plex playlist, but should be same diff

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It seems like this is the kind of thing where a remote app on iOS would be really useful HMMMMMMMMMM

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
If I switch songs in the Apple Music app, 30% of the time it will play the wrong song. The metadata will be for the last or next song in the list, but not for the one currently playing.

That's annoying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

It seems like this is the kind of thing where a remote app on iOS would be really useful HMMMMMMMMMM

The unsourced rumor I heard is that Remote.ipa was written by like one guy who has since left Apple, so making it work with the new Apple TV will largely require rewriting it.

That still makes it barely excusable that they didn't get on that as soon as they could.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

That still makes it barely excusable that they didn't get on that as soon as they could.

Yeah it sure seems like the Apple announcement of the new AppleTV left the.. Apple developers surprised.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Yeah it sure seems like the Apple announcement of the new AppleTV left the.. Apple developers surprised.

I mean, Apple's various groups are intentionally secretive to each other so it's not really shocking.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I feel like, as one of the most profitable tech companies in the world, they should be able to whip up a quick remote app for their own hardware pretty easily.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like I could have learned enough Swift and/or Objective-C to do it by now, let alone people who have been doing this for years.

But I guess enough bitching from me; It'll get here when it gets here :rolleyes:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The unsourced rumor I heard is that Remote.ipa was written by like one guy who has since left Apple, so making it work with the new Apple TV will largely require rewriting it.

Yeah, available resources is really the best excuse for a company like apple to use. Times are tough over there. Especially if one person was able to do the job previously.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Lifehacker has a good article (shocker) on a ton of the shortcuts/extras you can do with the AppleTV. A few things I was not aware of at all so I'll be throwing a bunch of this into the OP.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Thwomp posted:

Lifehacker has a good article (shocker) on a ton of the shortcuts/extras you can do with the AppleTV. A few things I was not aware of at all so I'll be throwing a bunch of this into the OP.

Awesome link!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After a week with this, I absolutely love it. I haven't encountered any of the weirdness anyone else in this thread is reporting, fortunately. My usage is limited to Plex, HBO Go and WatchESPN, all of which work great.

My only annoyance has been entering user name/passwords, which takes an eternity since I use 1Password with 24-32-character random passwords. I wanted to throw my remote after entering my Plex password wrong 3 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
By my luck sling tv will release it's app after football season (when I cancel).