Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes but it requires the 2nd rank of the Local Leader perk to do so, and then you have to assign citizens to do it for each settlement (1 each). Note that if you have several, linking one to another also links it to any that one is linked to, so you can have a spoke-and-hub or a big circle arrangement.

It's actually just the first rank, second lets you craft workstations and the stalls that passively generate caps.

The trade routes don't need to loop and can just be a straight line. If you only connect A to B to C to D, all 4 will have all the resources you have even though D doesn't link back to A. For OCD's sake though I made it a big circle.

Adding on to some of the tips mentioned before

-You can equip any settler in your settlements also in the same way as Dogmeat but as far as I can tell they're invincible? So it's just aesthetics

-Farming seems to be the only job that settlers will assign themselves to without you asking. But if you have one settler assigned to a guard post, and you build a new guard post that guard will assign themselves automatically so long as they have a free work slot (I think this is 3 guard posts per settler, or 8 crops per settler)

-The standard gun mods seem to only cost basic materials plus screws and not adhesive, so if you see one you like it still might be worth it to craft a default mod so you can swap it out.

-A shirt and slacks will give you the same amount of CHA as a suit and weighs 2 less, so that's an extra 20 Tin Cans you can pick up!

-When you dismiss a companion you can choose which settlement to send them to, and if you fill their inventory with stuff it's an easy way to move gear to equip settlers with, but again I don't think it's necessary to do that but it is fun

-Settlers also seem to have infinite ammo so long as they have at least one bullet of the appropriate type in their inventory

-Certain side quests that seem to be randomly generated, like kidnappings can expire if you don't get to them quickly enough

-With the super-mutants that are intent on delivering a certain football sized package to your face, shooting the arm they are carrying it in will make them drop their cargo much to the chagrin of their homies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Fallout 4, any perks you guys regret grabbing or found to be trivial? There's a few in there that I know would be useless to my playstyle (Chemistry for example because gently caress digging into my inventory for buffs), but others like Armorsmithing I'm unsure of.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
This may have been obvious, but critical hits have a 100% hit-rate no matter how low your chance to hit is (assuming it's not 0%). This can allow you to pull off some incredible shots that you'd have no chance of landing normally.

In general the Luck perks are extremely powerful, I've been having a lot of fun with them. In a lot of fights, I can just go into VATS, line up three separate head-shots and blow their heads off one after another with my .44 magnum. Even the tougher enemies in the game don't stand up well to multiple 250% damage hits.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Fallout 4, any perks you guys regret grabbing or found to be trivial? There's a few in there that I know would be useless to my playstyle (Chemistry for example because gently caress digging into my inventory for buffs), but others like Armorsmithing I'm unsure of.

Armorsmithing is required for most power armor mods, so its pretty solid actually. But only if you use power armor I guess?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Armorsmithing is required for most power armor mods, so its pretty solid actually. But only if you use power armor I guess?

Power Armor's really something you can only save for special occassions due to power cores, but when you have a good opportunity to break it out, why wouldn't you?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is it worth hording cores or do you get a good supply later on in the game?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
They're technically infinite, I'd say 3/4 times I've talked a merchnat they've had a core on them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i got my hands on a copy of dead rising for the first time. never played it before, just started. is it known for being a really dark game? i've got the tv brightness up and i didn't see a brightness slider in the game but its really dim and i checked that its not a console issue by playing another game.

also i passed kent's quest but i don't know what he wanted or what exactly I did that got me the right picture. i just took like 50 photos of him jump kicking zombies until one of them was good enough. learned how to reload the camera which is good i guess. is there a way to check mission criteria while you play? are lots of missions as vague as this early one?

Also a barricaded survivor ran up and killed me and lost me an hour of progress when i was low on health. i assumed survivors would be my friend - did i piss him off or are there certain characters you just need to knock around a bit before they calm down?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Mayor McCheese posted:

Local Leader rank 1 has been mostly useless, but rank 2 let me build my own shopping mall so I guess it was worth it in the long run. You have to invest 4 levels into Strong Back in order to fast travel while overencumbered, not to mention I think it's Strength 7 or 8 so it's more like 4+however many you need to get your Strength that high. Useful perk with a ridiculously high cost. Luckily, it seems like most of the worst offenders are the most obvious, like the "knock people over when you sprint in power armor" perk or the "Dogmeat tackles and mauls enemies" perk where he already sort of does that without it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Real hurthling! posted:

i got my hands on a copy of dead rising for the first time. never played it before, just started. is it known for being a really dark game? i've got the tv brightness up and i didn't see a brightness slider in the game but its really dim and i checked that its not a console issue by playing another game.

also i passed kent's quest but i don't know what he wanted or what exactly I did that got me the right picture. i just took like 50 photos of him jump kicking zombies until one of them was good enough. learned how to reload the camera which is good i guess. is there a way to check mission criteria while you play? are lots of missions as vague as this early one?

Also a barricaded survivor ran up and killed me and lost me an hour of progress when i was low on health. i assumed survivors would be my friend - did i piss him off or are there certain characters you just need to knock around a bit before they calm down?

The mall gets pretty dark at night yeah, especially when you don't know your way around and you're just kind of fumbling but as you learn the layout it's not as bad.

Kent's quest is suppose to be your tutorial on how to use your camera and honestly it's kinda glitchy at times i've noticed. As long as he told you to meet him at 12 the next day you are fine. Other missions aren't nearly as bad as they they are either boss fights or survivors that need rescuing.

If i'm thinking of the correct survivors then i think you might mean the guys in Al Fresca Plaza? One of them attacks you because you busted down their barricade to get to them, you just have to smack him around until he gives up.

Just as a tip for dealing with survivors in general. Yes, their AI is as terrible as it looks but it's much easier to deal with them if you give them weapons and use the waypoints to move them around instead of the "follow me" mode. They can also use the bathroom shortcuts you unlock so long as you can herd everybody into the bathroom (which is harder than it sounds somtimes)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Just as a tip for dealing with survivors in general. Yes, their AI is as terrible as it looks but it's much easier to deal with them if you give them weapons and use the waypoints to move them around instead of the "follow me" mode. They can also use the bathroom shortcuts you unlock so long as you can herd everybody into the bathroom (which is harder than it sounds somtimes)
To add to this, if waypointing isn't cutting it, it's really stupid but it helps to spam the Follow Me command if they're not making enough progress towards the waypoint you set, because it gets them to try to path around what they're fighting and come to you instead of pausing and deciding now is the time to make this Sunglasses Hut their Alamo.

Oh ALSO weapons you give them don't lose durability or ammo when they use them, so as long as you can keep away from their incredibly bad aim, it doesn't hurt to toss a shotgun or two in their hands.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how do i give items to an npc in dead rising? the only option that pops up when i go near them is hold hands

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Not all survivors can carry weapons. If they can, the prompt will be in the same spot and you will simply hand them whatever weapon you're currently holding.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Real hurthling! posted:

I think sometime during the first night you get a call to check out a ride that seems to have started on its own. The boss there drops a really good weapon that respawns whenever you exit and enter that area. It respawns where you had to go to start the fight. If you manage to pick up the correct 3 durability books, one of those weapons can last you the entire game. Unless you decide you want to kill 2,000 or so zombies with it.

The gun shop is on opposite side of the map in an alley and you have to fight a boss before you can use it. If you wait until night of the 2nd day I think the boss might despawn.

Don't underestimate the power of giving 3 or 4 survivors shotguns/assault rifles/sniper rifles and bringing them to a boss fight.

If you give some survivors guns or good melee weapons don't forget to take them from them before you get back in the vent. The only way to do that is pick up something worthless on the roof or leading up to the roof and give it to the survivor.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 15, 2015

Monk E
May 19, 2009
I got warcraft 3 and frozen throne really cheap at a secondhand store anything someone who hasn't played an rts before should know?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Monk E posted:

I got warcraft 3 and frozen throne really cheap at a secondhand store anything someone who hasn't played an rts before should know?
You're fine, there's really next to no strategy in this one. Don't forget to use the abilities of your heroes and take a look at what attacks beat what armor, you should be able to breeze through the game just fine.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I took a look at the wiki for Shadow of Mordor, since it went on Steam sale and I decided to check it out, and I didn't see a couple of tips I remember from when folks were gushing about it in the favorite things thread. Specifically, I remember reading that it's best to just focus on the main quest until... some point (because then you have all the tools to make faffing about and doing sidequests more fun) and that there are some perks/talents/whatever to avoid because they make the game too easy and keep the whole 'your death makes interesting things happen' mechanism from kicking in. Thing is, I don't remember the specifics. Can anyone help?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FredMSloniker posted:

I took a look at the wiki for Shadow of Mordor, since it went on Steam sale and I decided to check it out, and I didn't see a couple of tips I remember from when folks were gushing about it in the favorite things thread. Specifically, I remember reading that it's best to just focus on the main quest until... some point (because then you have all the tools to make faffing about and doing sidequests more fun) and that there are some perks/talents/whatever to avoid because they make the game too easy and keep the whole 'your death makes interesting things happen' mechanism from kicking in. Thing is, I don't remember the specifics. Can anyone help?

when you get to the second of the two game world maps one of the first few missions gives you the mind control power that changes up the game pretty dramatically

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

I wouldn't really rush anything, if you've played any of the Arkham games the combat will be very familiar to you. I'd recommend just going at your own pace. Ir reminds of the early grand theft autos where you could make your own fun by just starting to kill cops and get into a dramatically escalating situation with tanks and choppers pouring in. Shadows of Mordor does that chain reaction into absurd chaos really well and gives you the powers to manage it way better than the GTAs where it was probably going to get you killed.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 16, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Monk E posted:

the only thing i can think of is that, for the night elf campaign in the expansion, leveling up Blink whenever you possibly can will trivialize one of the missions a little ways into the campaign

also there's a secret mission in the expansion; human(/blood elf) campaign where kael'thas is breaking out of jail

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Anything for Dragon Quest Heroes:The world trees woe and the blight below?

Basically what's a fun party to put together and is there a limited number of mini-medals in the game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vadun posted:

Anything for Dragon Quest Heroes:The world trees woe and the blight below?

Basically what's a fun party to put together and is there a limited number of mini-medals in the game?

play with the characters you like they are all good but here are some things i've noticed:
Pick aurora instead of lucius. her ice moves are way more useful because they freeze bad guys in place and lucius is kind of an annoying character.
terry rules but is pretty similar to your main character so doesn't bring a lot of diversity to your group but is very powerful.
Bianca is way OP and very different from other characters in how she plays - great character to bring along for both mobs and bosses.
Jessica can heal you if she has mp so i usually take her if the fight is tough.

mini medals can be got via grinding but are very rare. don't waste them in the early game unless you know what you want.

as far as general tips, buy skills that have your character's face on them first. don't buy 10 point stat boosts, there are tons of 3 point stat boosts available so 10 is a huge waste.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

FredMSloniker posted:

Dying makes time pass, which is one of the main components of the nemesis system (orcs promote, new Captains appear to replace the ones you've killed, etc...). If you upgrade your health all the way up it's very difficult to die, so you kinda miss that. You can either leave your Health at a point where you still die if you do dumb poo poo, or select to Skip time in one of your Fast Travel markers.

Also yeah, the second region is where you get the best powers. It's pretty obvious when you get the game-changer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fat Samurai posted:

Dying makes time pass, which is one of the main components of the nemesis system (orcs promote, new Captains appear to replace the ones you've killed, etc...). If you upgrade your health all the way up it's very difficult to die, so you kinda miss that. You can either leave your Health at a point where you still die if you do dumb poo poo, or select to Skip time in one of your Fast Travel markers.

Also yeah, the second region is where you get the best powers. It's pretty obvious when you get the game-changer.

Yeah I'd say the two tips for Shadow are "play until you get the second map before you just gently caress off and have fun" and "if you start to kill all the orcs because you're really good, go to a watchtower and pass time so more orcs spawn".

The game is kinda reverse-incentivized in some ways, you want to kill all the orcs but the fewer / weaker orcs there are the less fun the game is. The game is best when you let yourself get killed a bunch so orcs get all kinds of promotions and show up and recognize you and then you're like "its THAT guy! I'm gonna fuckin kill you..."

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'd say the two tips for Shadow are "play until you get the second map before you just gently caress off and have fun" and "if you start to kill all the orcs because you're really good, go to a watchtower and pass time so more orcs spawn".

The game is kinda reverse-incentivized in some ways, you want to kill all the orcs but the fewer / weaker orcs there are the less fun the game is. The game is best when you let yourself get killed a bunch so orcs get all kinds of promotions and show up and recognize you and then you're like "its THAT guy! I'm gonna fuckin kill you..."
If you're ever feeling overconfident, go storm a Stronghold, preferably on a mission to fight a high-ranked captain or the like. Those were a lot of the most amazing fights in the game for me, even at high levels, though I also didn't upgrade my health, so they were fierce, brutal affairs and dying once or twice was fine anyway :black101:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Remember Me - I have no expectations or knowledge of this other than I heard the combat was mediocre and Life is Strange was probably one of my favorite games ever, also from Dontnod.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Remember Me - I have no expectations or knowledge of this other than I heard the combat was mediocre and Life is Strange was probably one of my favorite games ever, also from Dontnod.

It's been ages since I last played it, but the general idea was that you could customise your combos to give you different effects per hit. If I remember correctly, you're best off to stack your shortest combo entirely with healing effects, and dedicate one each of the longer ones entirely to damage and whatever that focus-resource was.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

it has the best art of any videogame ever. but otherwise is mediocre.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm playing through Shadow of Mordor for the first time and I figure I'll take my time in the first map, just so when I get the gamechanger power, I'll be familiar with what the game changes from, y'know? I also upgrade my health regularly and manage to die fairly regularly because I'm bad at games, good on them to make that work in my favor.

I was also thinking "dang Talion's VA does a good job of sounding like Troy Baker" the whole time until I checked.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The first map is the only enjoyable part because the game is actually kind of challenging at the start. Take your time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Perestroika posted:

It's been ages since I last played it, but the general idea was that you could customise your combos to give you different effects per hit. If I remember correctly, you're best off to stack your shortest combo entirely with healing effects, and dedicate one each of the longer ones entirely to damage and whatever that focus-resource was.

Would you say it's best played with either kb+m or an XB360 gamepad?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Would you say it's best played with either kb+m or an XB360 gamepad?

Both are usable, but I'd definitely recommend a gamepad over kb+m. The gameplay and controls are fairly similar to the various Batman Arkham games.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

exquisite tea posted:

If you press the dodge button without a direction, you will automatically jump over the head of your target and won't break your combo like you do if you dodge in a direction. I remember a lot of people played through the game without knowing that, and it's really the only way you can do and of the longer combos.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

Perestroika posted:

I found the best way was to set the very simple 4-hit combo to entirely Heal Pressens. There's a specific (and way-too-common) enemy that starts popping up about halfway through the game that only takes damage from them. When you do the memory remixes you should try getting creative - all of them have a unique fail state that isn't just "wait, that made no sense".

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just finished a run of Shadowrun Returns (base game, not Dragonfall) and there's a few tips that might come in handy, at least that I noticed.

I played a dwarven street samurai split between guns and melee. It was pretty fun and very combat effective but honestly it looks like most of the classes are pretty viable. I would however recommend using the create your own character as my pre-built ended up having some wasted karma that could have been used more effectively.

In terms of pumping stats, I don't think I found a Charisma check higher than 5. There are a few close or ranged combat checks as well but very few.

Basically all the extra bits of loot and such require you to be a decker.

Etiquettes are weird. Most are pretty rarely used but I noticed both Shadowrunner and Gang came up a fair bit. Corporate, Socialite and Security as well. I only recall one Academic and Street check. I don't exactly remember though.

In general, always go back to base before a run. You can pick up extra side missions for karma in at least one place.

When hiring runners the Nephilim Network (second tab of the runners page) has some decent people, but I found the one labeled as Support Mage to be the best. He had shaman and mage buffs, plus heal. I also found the Nephilim Combat Decker to be pretty good as well. Coyote doesn't have any real special abilities, but she's cheap and her later guns are very good so don't hesitate to bring her along if you don't feel like bringing a mage or shaman. At some point the price of a few people on Nephilim went down to 1000 per mission. Not sure what caused it but it saved me a tonne of cash.

Speaking of which, you can only give hired runners disposable items. You cannot change their gear, but it upgrades on its owns as you progress.

Always bring a decker if you don't make a decker. Also, skill checks for decking can't be done by other party members (unless I couldn't find it out) so if you make a decker get your decking up to 6 (highest I saw) and you should be set. There is a gear that boosts decking by 1 if you want to save a few points of karma.

SMGs seem the weakest due to some accuracy issues. My samurai went with a revolver as backup and had good flexibility once I unlocked overwatch. I suspect Rifles is probably better though.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Playing Castlevania SOTN for the first time, just wandering around not knowing what I'm doing. Got to a boss I can't beat. Anything I should know about?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

Playing Castlevania SOTN for the first time, just wandering around not knowing what I'm doing. Got to a boss I can't beat. Anything I should know about?
Feel free to back out, explore a bit, get some levels and items. I don't think there are any "trick" bosses until Richter, so it's a matter of either stats or learning the pattern.
Alternately, if you really want to cheese the early game, look up the button combos for magic; the spells aren't locked, buying them just tells you how to do it.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

anilEhilated posted:

Feel free to back out, explore a bit, get some levels and items. I don't think there are any "trick" bosses until Richter, so it's a matter of either stats or learning the pattern.
Alternately, if you really want to cheese the early game, look up the button combos for magic; the spells aren't locked, buying them just tells you how to do it.

To expand on this, while there are many spells the most useful by far is Soul Steal (Back, forward, half circle back, forward and an attack button.) It kills all the enemies on screen and gives you health back.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

African AIDS cum posted:

You can cancel many animations by back-dashing, which you should be using all the time to dodge attacks. Also if you attack while jumping, landing will cancel your attacking animation, allowing you to deal damage without having to wait for the followthrough. Finally, shields are really strong because they can be used to completely negate a lot of projectiles. If a boss is shooting crap at you, see if it can be blocked by a shield. Crouching while blocking protects your legs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Anyone have anything for Dungeon Defenders? The original not II or whatever subtitle the abandoned remake has. I have all the dlc so literally any tips.