Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

Wood laminate flooring in a bathroom and laundry room: yea or nay?

That's an awful lot of moisture. I'd get the tile that looks kind of woody at Lowes. I have the dark tile like that in my basement and it is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
The back corner of my house has a downspout that ends at the foundation at the bottom of a grade. Even if I extended it out, it seems like the grade would just bring it back to the foundation.

Would the best solution to this to dig out a drain away from the house? Like a French drain?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

Wood laminate flooring in a bathroom and laundry room: yea or nay?

Virigoth posted:

That's an awful lot of moisture. I'd get the tile that looks kind of woody at Lowes. I have the dark tile like that in my basement and it is great.

I'd go even further and say "wood laminate never". It wears poorly and starts to look ratty in a short time.

If you have standing water on those floors for more than an hour or two, you've probably warped or discolored it already. Both of those spaces are likely candidates for accidental standing water.

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004
I have a glass single pane sliding patio door that's roughly 4 feet by 6 feet. Are window films (http://amzn.com/B00GONBA7O) worth using to try and retain heat inside the house?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Is there a kind of adhesive tape that is very stretchy and can conform to irregular surfaces? I'm trying to seal the corners and tops of my metal building but the corrugated pattern of the roof and siding makes it difficult. Something like DuPont flexwrap but maybe less intense and not as wide http://www.dupont.com/products-and-...d-flashing.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dwoloz posted:

Is there a kind of adhesive tape that is very stretchy and can conform to irregular surfaces? I'm trying to seal the corners and tops of my metal building but the corrugated pattern of the roof and siding makes it difficult. Something like DuPont flexwrap but maybe less intense and not as wide http://www.dupont.com/products-and-...d-flashing.html

Unless there are really way too large openings I think you are looking for what we generally call "caulk."

If not, what are we talking about here? Because if caulk won't fill it it probably need to be fixed or flashed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Motronic posted:

Because if caulk won't fill it it probably need to be fixed or flashed.

Whoa, ease up on the misogyny!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

beepsandboops posted:

The back corner of my house has a downspout that ends at the foundation at the bottom of a grade. Even if I extended it out, it seems like the grade would just bring it back to the foundation.

Would the best solution to this to dig out a drain away from the house? Like a French drain?

How far away from that downspout is a proper downhill slope?

Also, did Stupid Newbie/Garbage Dick avatars change to Bonzi Buddy?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Looks like it. I'm assuming they cycle the default avatar every once in awhile in an attempt to come up with something so irritating people will pay to get rid of it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
This isn't so much DIY as how do I convince my apartment management to take a look at and fix this annoyance. I recently moved into a second story apartment and there's a bunch of air conditioning units sitting on concrete slabs right next to the first floor wall. Whenever the black one in the picture turns on, the motor vibration is being transmitted through the lines and wall somehow and it's this really annoying loud hum that I can hear in the wall right next to my computer desk. What are my options? I reported it to them about a week ago and they said they'd take a look at it but nothing's been done so far. I went down to take a look right now and there happened to be a guy down there who said if I tried to move it I'd desolder the joints or something.

Edit: I can feel it in the floor too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just shift it. It's not bolted down, and the copper tubing is going to be that 1/4" poo poo that yeah, it'll crumple super easily, but if you're only moving it an inch to make it not touch the wall, it'll probably be fine. And if it breaks, hey, then someone'll have to fix it! Do it in the dark of night when nobody's around, just in case. It'll probably vibrate back to resting against the wall, though, so this may become a game you play once every month or two.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Is it touching the side of the building right there? It looks it's moved itself on the pad as it's not centered. You may be able to just go down there and move it by hand. I'd pull it away from the buidling a bit

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, those things are light and when it was installed, it was undoubtedly centered on the pad, but the vibrations OP is feeling are what caused it to jiggle out of position. Without fixing it in place somehow, it's just going to jiggle back up against the wall eventually, but maybe he'll get a few weeks of respite. Underlying issue is probably two-fold: the pad isn't level, and the fan is off-balance.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ambaire posted:

This isn't so much DIY as how do I convince my apartment management to take a look at and fix this annoyance. I recently moved into a second story apartment and there's a bunch of air conditioning units sitting on concrete slabs right next to the first floor wall. Whenever the black one in the picture turns on, the motor vibration is being transmitted through the lines and wall somehow and it's this really annoying loud hum that I can hear in the wall right next to my computer desk. What are my options? I reported it to them about a week ago and they said they'd take a look at it but nothing's been done so far. I went down to take a look right now and there happened to be a guy down there who said if I tried to move it I'd desolder the joints or something.

Edit: I can feel it in the floor too.

Can you just wedge a piece of foam in there so it adsorbs most of the vibration?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

kid sinister posted:

How far away from that downspout is a proper downhill slope?

Nothing close. Most of the property is pretty flat, except for the part where the downspout is, which is inexplicably downhill from everything.

It's also right at a walkway down the side of the house, otherwise I would just extend the downspout out.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Motronic posted:

Unless there are really way too large openings I think you are looking for what we generally call "caulk."

If not, what are we talking about here? Because if caulk won't fill it it probably need to be fixed or flashed.

Its difficult to do with caulk alone (although I have experimented with spray foaming the voids and caulking the rest). Heres what it looks like at the roof ridge:

and the wall (just an example of the corrugations, I need to do the corners and eaves):

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

beepsandboops posted:

Nothing close. Most of the property is pretty flat, except for the part where the downspout is, which is inexplicably downhill from everything.

It's also right at a walkway down the side of the house, otherwise I would just extend the downspout out.

Dig a path under the walkway, run some perforated pipe away out into the yard and dig a dry well.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

dwoloz posted:

Its difficult to do with caulk alone (although I have experimented with spray foaming the voids and caulking the rest). Heres what it looks like at the roof ridge:

and the wall (just an example of the corrugations, I need to do the corners and eaves):

All of these problems have proven fixes. Corrugated buildings aren't new.

Ridge flashing for the top.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Metal-Sales-14-in-Universal-Ridge-Flashing-in-Burnished-Slate-4202349/204256688

Foam closure strip for everything else.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Metal-Sales-Classic-Rib-Outside-Closure-Glued-6451699/204289073

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Metal-Sale..._-204289085-_-N

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I need to buy a new shower head/hose/unit thinger... one of these:

to replace a kind of worn out one. Is the distance between the screws for affixing it to the wall standardised, or will it vary between brands?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

There is ridge flashing obviously; it would leak otherwise (you can even see it in the right at the skylight). I'm trying to stop air though.

The foam closure strips are manufacturer specific typically as the profiles are different. No idea who manufactured these panels. The Metal Sales looks close though, may work. Mine has more of a flat top to the corrugation

dwoloz fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 12, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

mirthdefect posted:

I need to buy a new shower head/hose/unit thinger... one of these:

to replace a kind of worn out one. Is the distance between the screws for affixing it to the wall standardised, or will it vary between brands?

Probably not. Look at your existing sprayer for a maker's mark and get the same brand.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Some old wood fencing in my yard is falling apart. It is the 8' x 6' panels with the pickets 2-3/4" wide. Is this a common size for fence panels? HD and Lowes don't seem to carry it. The posts seem fine, just the panels are failing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Post a picture of your fence.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I need to crawl through my attic someday before I get busy with kid number 2, I just suck at spelunking. I am also a little paranoid about the fact that I have 2x4 trusses instead of rafters, I assume they can handle my 250lb rear end but random people on google seem to suggest otherwise. As an added bonus, my attic entry is in my garage, and as soon as I climb the ladder, there is a big rear end plywood wall blocking off the attic section of the garage from the rest of the house. There is access, but I would have to slither under a low hanging 1x4, wtf did they do this before? Is this the new "our construction is so cheap we cant trust Joe Homeowner to not crash through the ceiling so stay the gently caress out unless you REALLY want up there"? And how do I deal with all the blown in insulation that is conveniently covering up all the rafters trusses that I need to climb on?

TL;DR My attic access sucks. . . how do I handle blown in insulation that is covering my 2x4 trusses, and will the trusses support my 250lbs + whatever crap I bring up?

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Crotch Fruit posted:

As an added bonus, my attic entry is in my garage, and as soon as I climb the ladder, there is a big rear end plywood wall blocking off the attic section of the garage from the rest of the house. There is access, but I would have to slither under a low hanging 1x4, wtf did they do this before?
Modern code requires a firebreak between the attic and the garage in a situation like that, but a big opening kind of defeats that purpose. I can't tell what all of the angles are in that picture, but is it possible that your house had a hip roof that was extended when the garage was added on?

Captain Cool fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 13, 2015

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
OSB falls pretty far short of being a suitable firebreak material. That's just a standard technique for overframing dormers. I don't really know the details of it, but I gather the labor savings outweigh the cost of one or two extra sheets of sheathing.

That lateral bracing may not be necessary after the roof was sheathed, if it's attached to a top chord. It kind of looks like it's attached to a web, but that's doesn't look like a spot you'd normally have a web... do you have a picture from a different angle?

That is a pretty lovely placement of the attic access, though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Captain Cool posted:

Modern code requires a firebreak between the attic and the garage in a situation like that, but a big opening kind of defeats that purpose. I can't tell what all of the angles are in that picture, but is it possible that your house had a hip roof that was extended when the garage was added on?

That would be my call. The roof surrounded the house itself, then the roof for the garage was built as an addition, on top of the existing roof.

If your roof was built like that, then I don't think that your attic access is in your garage. Look around inside again, including all your closets. There must be some other way up there. Since the garage attic was closed off from the rest of the house, the builders added another access just for it.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
How do I cover rust for contact with carpet? I have a 70s metal desk with file cabinets for legs. At our last apartment, our cats peed on the side of it, peeling the paint and rusting it at the bottom. Do I need to do anything besides sand that spot down and paint it with a rattle can? Rustoleum?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

That would be my call. The roof surrounded the house itself, then the roof for the garage was built as an addition, on top of the existing roof.

If your roof was built like that, then I don't think that your attic access is in your garage. Look around inside again, including all your closets. There must be some other way up there. Since the garage attic was closed off from the rest of the house, the builders added another access just for it.

You may be right, but with at little as we can tell from that picture it could be a shear wall. Lots of super light-and-chep construction make up for their 2x4edness with that type of thing.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I can search my house for a mystery closet access (highly unlikely) and I can attempt to take a better picture tomorrow. If it helps any, have a picture of my roofline, red line represents the approximate bottom edge of a big OSB slab (firebreak?), red circle is approximate location where I took the picture. To get a better picture, I would need to crawl deeper into the attic over the garage, which is nothing but 2x4 truss and drywall. House and garage were made in 2005 in a cookie cutter development with the associated cheap rear end building techniques that involves. On the one hand, it would make sense if the ply is there simply because that is the angle of the rest of the roof, but considering it's a penny pinching housing development I would expect them to realize they could save a few $$ by not sheathing a bunch of square feet that will never see shingles.

Examined all closets, there is no other attic access unless it's in the back of a mysterious wardrobe somewhere. . .

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 14, 2015

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

chef posted:

Actually the local MLS board dictates what you can and can't say in a listing. Around here realtors say whatever the hell they want. Has a floor? Bedroom! (But they'll add 'May be non confirming' in the notes)

That space was on the listing when we bought it but nobody was fooled and it was just to hit the Redfin filters.

It's the tax assessor that matters, and they have the correct numbers.

I'm wondering if the tax assessor is ever going to catch up on the house I just bought.

County says it's a 700 sq. ft. home with an unfinished basement. It's actually a 2-flat, and the city's records agree with that - it's legal to rent as two apartments (not that I plan to do that). Lower unit has 8.5' ceilings, upper is 9'-10'.

As far as I can tell this discrepancy has probably existed for close to a century. :shrug:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Does anyone here know about hanging heavy fixtures on old masonry? I'll be helping a local gym replace some broken mirrors (red = the broken mirrors, white = the new, replacement mirrors). Sometimes, people fly into the mirrors during a training session, then the mirrors sacrifice themselves to the MMA gods.

But, the masonry is old- around 100 years. What type of mirror clamps and masonry screws would be best for this type of brick/mortar? Better yet- does old mortar like this merit any special treatment/fixtures? Because the new mirrors are super heavy.

A closer look:

OSU_Matthew posted:

23,000 views in 17 hours??!! :drat:

Nice job on the table, it's amazing what a little bit of tlc will do. I'm always blown away by the quality of stuff people get rid of vs the Ikea mdf furniture that replaces it. My whole bedroom set is a Broyhill sculptra solid mahogany set from the fifties that one of my neighbors was putting on the curb because it looked dated.

Yeah, I woke up and found >30K views on my Imgur gallery. Wat. And I completely agree about the horrible MDF furniture that people seem to love. I just don't get people's love affair with cheap, flat-pack furniture. And that chest/drawer you rescued curbside looks amazing. I don't think it looks dated, at all!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 14, 2015

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

beepsandboops posted:

The right answer is to pipe it to a dry well or somewhere that will drain it away from the house. Any quick or halfassed solutions will give the water a longer round trip to your foundation.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I can search my house for a mystery closet access (highly unlikely) and I can attempt to take a better picture tomorrow. If it helps any, have a picture of my roofline, red line represents the approximate bottom edge of a big OSB slab (firebreak?), red circle is approximate location where I took the picture. To get a better picture, I would need to crawl deeper into the attic over the garage, which is nothing but 2x4 truss and drywall. House and garage were made in 2005 in a cookie cutter development with the associated cheap rear end building techniques that involves. On the one hand, it would make sense if the ply is there simply because that is the angle of the rest of the roof, but considering it's a penny pinching housing development I would expect them to realize they could save a few $$ by not sheathing a bunch of square feet that will never see shingles.

Examined all closets, there is no other attic access unless it's in the back of a mysterious wardrobe somewhere. . .
Buy something like this and run it around in the attic to double check for another entrance then use it to harass your kids and pets for the next 5 years.
http://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Camera...06PGHFJTBPA13KC

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

GWBBQ posted:

Buy something like this and run it around in the attic to double check for another entrance then use it to harass your kids and pets for the next 5 years.
http://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Camera...06PGHFJTBPA13KC

There's a foot or so of loose fill cellulose that's going to get in the way of that...

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

dwoloz posted:

Metal tape is what you are looking for.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_225506-98-3382_0__?productId=3961815

Alternately :Peel and Seal
http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625___?Ntt=peel+and+seal&UserSearch=peel+and+seal&productId=1018733

Peel and Seal is what we use on cooler and Freezer construction at work. Probably overkill for you.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
First, a picture taken standing on my ladder looking over the garage section, just shows off the style of construction best:

I then crawled/walked a few feet over the garage and turned around to take a shot of the view towards the house and the mystery plywood obstruction wall. Dead center is a piece of drywall, it felt either heavy or maybe nailed down, I didn't want to to gently caress with it since I was leaning out about a food over the ladder space etc. I'm 99% certain that when I had the attic ladder installed, the "handy many" (er, paid JAFHO) said something about nailing the piece of drywall he cut out up there because he didn't want to bring it down it would help block some more of the airflow.

I think the next shot best illustrates what kind of access I have, having the ladder pivot point right at a joint in the truss kinda sucks for mobility. . .

Last I have a couple pictures of me attempting to hold the phone out into the access area to show as much of the attic I can see.

I have no light what so ever in my attic, and there is a giant mystery gently caress-off wall of OSB (with a bonus reminder of the awesome handy work from the ladder installer. . .) that I would have to slither under to gain access. I think the gap between the OSB and ceiling is probably at least 2 or 3 feet, the crappy part is I don't want to crawl that low in a foot of insulation, and I'm quite certain that 1x4 is probably loaded with nails ready to take a piece out of my backside. Is this a sign that if I crawl under that OSB wall my house will collapse under my own weight? What other possible reason (besides laziness) would the builder have for adding this feature?

I think my main concern is that I am just paranoid about weight, and I doubt I should be. Wichita currently use 0IRC 2012 (what code was used when house was built in 2005? is the load capacity any different from then to know?), this is probably an accessible (the home came with a a hatch in the garage) but uninhabitable attic space which would need to support a live load of 20lb psf. But does the wall mean the rest of the house is uninhabitable attic space without access with a live load of 10lb psf? Should I even be concerned at all about my weight on the trusses? I think I am just more confused by my google searching which came up with all kinds of people saying "you weigh more than 10pounds per square foot!" or stating that the shingles and insulation take up all 10lbs of the allowed load in attic so don't even think about going up there. . .

In the end, I think my best solution to get Ethernet in my house would be to run some conduit outside. My floor plan is below but mirrored east/west, and thank god my ceiling is not vaulted. Below the kitchen, laundry room and bedroom 3 my basement is unfinished, my office (getting drywall Monday morning. . .) is below the entry and master bathroom. It would be quite easy for me to run ethernet outside to the two smaller upstairs bedrooms, getting an ethernet line to the master bedroom unfortunately would require either a haphazard job done tomorrow, and the ceiling was just insulated yesterday making that job twice as fun! I guess I can eventually run a really long loop outside, or just deal with wifi in the master bedroom. I am also extremely tempted to grab and yank all of AT&Ts phone lines (Cat 5, demarkated at bath tub in second room, don't have access to the wall) and put ethernet jacks on. The only lovely part about that is if I try to sell the house in the future saying I would probably have to hook up all the phone lines again to get the old people to bite. At this point, I think the only ethernet runs I still want in the attic would be a couple lines going to either end of the living/dining room so that I could put in some Ubiquity wifi extenders to drowned out my neighbor's wifi. Is there anything special I need to know about running ethernet in a conduit outside my house? I think if I use a 1/2" metal tube and tuck in up at the seam between the concrete and the siding it might not look like crap.

Also, on an unrelated note, the cable company chose to pull all 7 coax lines to their box outside the bath tub in the second bathroom. I don't have access to that section of wall, and I don't want to let the cable company demarcate all of my coax terminals inside of their box. The last time the installer came out, I got a bill for $10 per outlet "installation fee" to replace a big rear end splitter, which the tech never tested, because he knew the cable company installed the low quality splitter, and it was now junk. . . I want to give them one piece of but ugly coax sticking precariously outside of my house so I can say demarcate here or gently caress off, I would happily troubleshoot any and all the splitters on my own because I don't want to play their game again.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

. I am also extremely tempted to grab and yank all of AT&Ts phone lines (Cat 5, demarkated at bath tub in second room, don't have access to the wall) and put ethernet jacks on. The only lovely part about that is if I try to sell the house in the future saying I would probably have to hook up all the phone lines again to get the old people to bite.

They make universal keystones which will take both ethernet and phone cords. Use those, then you have the best of both worlds.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Ah, it's a raised heel truss, that's why it looked weird (that's a good thing, it allows more room for insulation). I'm pretty sure that 1x4 was just temporary bracing holding the trusses in place before the sheathing was attached (you can see the permanent bracing attached to the center webs. It's probably okay to cut it (disclaimer: I am not an engineer, some bracing is important, I deny any liability should your roof collapse in a strong breeze, etc.). The OSB is there either because it made framing the gable easier, or because it adds shear strength to the trusses. I can 100% guarantee you that it is not there because they wanted to add a small inconvenience to deter people from crawling around the attic.

The bottom chord generally should be able to support your weight. There are just two catches: If there's any defect/damage causing the chord to be weak, you won't be able to see it through the insulation, and even if it can support your weight it still might flex enough to crack the drywall finish below.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Crotch Fruit posted:

Also, on an unrelated note, the cable company chose to pull all 7 coax lines to their box outside the bath tub in the second bathroom. I don't have access to that section of wall, and I don't want to let the cable company demarcate all of my coax terminals inside of their box. The last time the installer came out, I got a bill for $10 per outlet "installation fee" to replace a big rear end splitter, which the tech never tested, because he knew the cable company installed the low quality splitter, and it was now junk. . . I want to give them one piece of but ugly coax sticking precariously outside of my house so I can say demarcate here or gently caress off, I would happily troubleshoot any and all the splitters on my own because I don't want to play their game again.

Why can't you access their box? Never had a problem getting in that or the telco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Why can't you access their box? Never had a problem getting in that or the telco.

From inside the house, it's a few feet back over a finished section of ceiling. From outside, it is strictly a cable and/or phone company security tag with the threat of bad things if the tag is broken. Half of the reason I paid the extra $70 for a cheap rear end splitter last time is because "someone" (hint, PO had u-verse with the coax fed into their box) broke the security tag. Seriously, gently caress telecom companies.