Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

notZaar posted:

When you stab somebody, a serrated knife will make a nastier wound.

Especially if they're made out of bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

What bread am I hacking through with a 2.5 inch blade? At that point I'm just going to rip the loaf.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

cenotaph posted:

What bread am I hacking through with a 2.5 inch blade? At that point I'm just going to rip the loaf.

Like an animal?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The serration is there on the blade for sawing through tougher parts of things you are cutting. Let's say you are dressing a small animal, you can use the serration to cut through sinew and whatnot. I have had to use it for a few things every so often. It is also really handy for cutting rope as well.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

cenotaph posted:

Free range dinner rolls.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Djarum posted:

The serration is there on the blade for sawing through tougher parts of things you are cutting. Let's say you are dressing a small animal, you can use the serration to cut through sinew and whatnot. I have had to use it for a few things every so often. It is also really handy for cutting rope as well.

Thanks, those things didn't occur to me.

Aurium posted:

Like an animal?
Yes.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I use an old Ginsu knife for my bread.

Still sharp as ever.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have a £10 Sabatier and it's seen me through thick and thin for years. Love that knife.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

tarlibone posted:

I prefer serrated steak knives. My wife bought a new set of knives (and no, we're not fancy-knife rich; they are not Wusthoffs), and the steak knives are basically large paring knives, except not sharp. I hate these knives. I sharpened one just to try it out with a proper edge, and they're pure poop.

Serrated knives for steak. That's the hill I'll die on. But I'll leave my attackers with some jagged, rough lacerations. You know, on account of my serrated steak knife.

If you have to use a knife to cut the steak it has been cooked wrong.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Wade Wilson posted:

do you just jam it with a fork and eat it like a lollipop?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, this is just... just not correct, sir. Cooking a steak in such a way that it become so tender that it simply falls apart or is cut with the blunt edge of a fork, like slow-cooked pork, is the incorrect way to cook steak. Unless it's pork steak, that is. If I pay $70 for a steak and it arrives as this pile of textureless near-mush as you're describing, I'm sending it back.

Steak should be tender but still have enough integrity to require cutting with a knife.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Wade Wilson posted:

It's steak, not brisket.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It seems you guys have not tried Chaliapin Steak.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Mraagvpeine posted:

It seems you guys have not tried Chaliapin Steak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgHx0zA_dS4
Uh..

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK... first, I'm standing by my statement. Steak should be cooked so that it must be cut with a serrated knife. It needn't be tough, but it mustn't be mush.

But second... I'm curious about that crazy-rear end steak! I love that there's a dog just sitting there. I don't have a dog and my cats will snag the meat if I leave it there, but I'll figure something out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have a dumb question: What DON'T you like about the show? This show is a top 10 (shows & cartoons) for me and many of my peers, but it's high quality means that when it does something I don't like it's super grating and seems like an extra wide miss. Also, learning why other people don't like things that I might have liked is important for creating your own content, it helps see things from outside your own perspective.

I really don't like how long it took Dean to find himself vs. Hank, but then again, Hank was basically raised by Brock, while Dean got snagged by Rusty opon entering teendom, so it makes sense.

I don't like all the pedophilia jokes. It took years of rewatching before I gave Sgt. hatred any credit but he becomes a great character, i just really think that the scenes about his illness and the minor plot threads that come from it are not funny and add absolutely nothing to the show. Billy has been or at least alluded to getting raped at least once (i'm 90% sure that happenned but maybe it was a flashback dream?) and again i don't see why that's funny. I beleive you can make fun of pedofilia and make fun of pedofiles, but its always either hatred hating himself for being sick (actually not funny) or it's making fun of the person getting raped (the only strictly wrong way to make this joke, IMO).

I feel like the black and red businessmen showed up, did a lot of standing around, and died and really don't even get why we needed them at all. Couldn't everything just have been Monstroso/Bowie/Molitov/Revenge Society? If they exist to flesh out Killinger, they kind of didn't even do that because we could already surmise that he was old and powerful and probably part of a group, since everyone in the show is on a team. I guarantee next season (I haven't even watched the trailer) will be about super-heroes forming a team and the various hilarious impracticalities therein.

Lastly, I just think it's like maybe a little lazy that the only two gay characters on the show end up together despite having EITHER nothing in common (we really don't know Shore Leave as well as we know Al) or everything in common (maybe being superheroes makes dating pools super limited and it's just like a "What else do I even have going on?" type thing.)

ok that was a lot of words about things I don't like in a great show, how about you?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Shore Leave and Al aren't the only gay characters on the shoe. I'd say Col. Gentleman counts, seeing as how his most recent long-term relationship was with a dude. The fact that Al and Mr. Leave ended up together doesn't bother me because it makes sense in the story: they're hanging out at the compound all the time, they're both involved in the supergood vs. superevil fight, and they're both good g...... I mean, protagonists. They were bound to at least hook up sooner or later.

As for what I don't like... well, I would like to see some genius from Doc. Somewhat misguided, perhaps mildly evil, dangerously lazy but still undeniable genius. I haven't seen much like it since the joy can.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

tarlibone posted:

Shore Leave and Al aren't the only gay characters on the shoe. I'd say Col. Gentleman counts, seeing as how his most recent long-term relationship was with a dude. The fact that Al and Mr. Leave ended up together doesn't bother me because it makes sense in the story: they're hanging out at the compound all the time, they're both involved in the supergood vs. superevil fight, and they're both good g...... I mean, protagonists. They were bound to at least hook up sooner or later.

As for what I don't like... well, I would like to see some genius from Doc. Somewhat misguided, perhaps mildly evil, dangerously lazy but still undeniable genius. I haven't seen much like it since the joy can.

Although he didn't build the ray shield for gargantua 2 himself, he did design it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Although he didn't build the ray shield for gargantua 2 himself, he did design it.

Yeah. The ray shield wound up being pretty important.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tarlibone posted:

The really sad thing about Doc is that I get the feeling that if he weren't the 'Head' of his lab, he'd really excel. He's obviously gifted when it comes to science, I just think that he's not much of an idea man. If he was part of a team, if he wasn't thrust into the limelight because of his father's accomplishments, maybe even if he and JJ had been born at the same time, I think he could have contributed a lot to the scientific community. As it is though, he was set up for failure because his 'original' ideas are either unethical (Joycan, Oo-ray, Venturestein), not very good (GUARDO), or just rehashes of his Dad's old stuff (Hoverboots, Walking Eye, Learning Beds). But, put him in a situation where he needs to solve a defined problem, like losing his kidneys, and he has no problem turning HELPeR into a makeshift dialysis machine.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I agree with what you're saying. With direction, he would probably be much more effective at discovering actual advancements in the field of science. I mean, turning H.E.L.P.eR. into a dialysis machine... see, that's the kind of thing he did somewhat often in the early days. Most of those accomplishments are from the first couple of seasons. I want to see some more of that stuff.

I mean, GUARDO could have been really cool, but Doctor Lazy stopped at the critical stage between making the robot a functional killing machine and building a "friendly file" full of people that the robot was to try really hard not to kill. Who would ever stop there? Doc, that's who.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

tarlibone posted:

I agree with what you're saying. With direction, he would probably be much more effective at discovering actual advancements in the field of science. I mean, turning H.E.L.P.eR. into a dialysis machine... see, that's the kind of thing he did somewhat often in the early days. Most of those accomplishments are from the first couple of seasons. I want to see some more of that stuff.

I mean, GUARDO could have been really cool, but Doctor Lazy stopped at the critical stage between making the robot a functional killing machine and building a "friendly file" full of people that the robot was to try really hard not to kill. Who would ever stop there? Doc, that's who.

In fairness he didn't so much quit as doze off.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly I could use more of the Rusty we see when he is in the sewers with the cult. He just uses his insane luck/charisma to sweep them, and then when it turns to actual adventuring, he is able to shimmy up the rocket and slip out of the ropes like a circus monkey. i love that he was forced to grow up comepletely raw and want to see more of that scrappy resourcefulness, even in the lab, because it's his most redeeming quality for me.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly I could use more of the Rusty we see when he is in the sewers with the cult. He just uses his insane luck/charisma to sweep them, and then when it turns to actual adventuring, he is able to shimmy up the rocket and slip out of the ropes like a circus monkey. i love that he was forced to grow up comepletely raw and want to see more of that scrappy resourcefulness, even in the lab, because it's his most redeeming quality for me.

Urbaniak's delivery of "I KILLED YOUR GOD" gets me every time in that episode. Doc's become so jaded by the super science and adventuring lifestyle that, even when being held hostage by a cult who worships his dad and lives in the tunnels under his house, he's more annoyed by the situation than scared.

It reminds me of the opening of Escape to the House of Mummies when the leader of the Osiris cult demands "Give me the hand of Osiris" and Doc responds "Give me head." He's seen this shtick before, he's seen it over and over again since he was a kid, and he can't even force himself to play along anymore. I think little jabs like that are Rusty's way of getting back at Jonas for filling his childhood with all the superscientist/supervillain crap. He sees through the charade now, he knows that supervillains enjoy the 'game' much more than actually blowing up the earth's core or whatever they're threatening to do, and by refusing to take it seriously he's calling his Dad out for caring about it so much.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like the black and red businessmen showed up, did a lot of standing around, and died and really don't even get why we needed them at all. Couldn't everything just have been Monstroso/Bowie/Molitov/Revenge Society? If they exist to flesh out Killinger, they kind of didn't even do that because we could already surmise that he was old and powerful and probably part of a group, since everyone in the show is on a team. I guarantee next season (I haven't even watched the trailer) will be about super-heroes forming a team and the various hilarious impracticalities therein.
The Investors felt like Hammer and Jackson pulling our chain, like they did with the Orb. Hints of a greater plot with badass antagonists, and they're taken out by someone unrelated to the previous plot they appeared in. Same with the O.S.I against the Guild, Brock & Co spent a lot of time investigating the Council of 13... only for it to be destroyed under their nose.

If I had one criticism of the show, or rather a wish, it would be for another regular female characters as "strong" as Dr. Ms The Monarch, because she is awesome and she's kind of lonely in that spot. Although I will say, they could already have given me my wish with Ms. Whalen.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

deong posted:

No. Similar to what the guy is doing in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJbxgZPuWys

You can still cut it with a knife if you want, but the steak shouldn't be so tough that a non-serrated knife is unable to cut it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Wade Wilson posted:

No. Similar to what the guy is doing in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJbxgZPuWys

You can still cut it with a knife if you want, but the steak shouldn't be so tough that a non-serrated knife is unable to cut it.

It's not that non-serrated knives are unable to cut cooked steak. They just suck at it. Horribly. They make noise when the knife's blade makes contact with the plate, and if you're using a plate made out of a material other than plastic and/or wood, each cut makes the blade duller because you're sliding it across a blade-killing surface of glass (either glass dining wear, like Corelle, or glazed porcelain).

Serrated blades are just superior at this task and less likely to become dull in use.

Really, you shouldn't need a super-sharp unserrated knife to slice through perfectly cooked steak.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mr. Nice! posted:

His whole method of getting the job done was pretty fantastic.

The Shore Leave/Alchemist relationship is ok with me. I mean they hooked up before but Al got too clingy and Shore Leave wiped his memory.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think my only real issue with the series at this point is story efficiency and restraint when it comes to the longform storytelling elements. Venture Bros. has become more of a(n incredible) family sitcom than weirdo adventure show over the past few seasons and the individual episodes are structured to reflect this. But when it comes to those more serialized elements the show suffers a bit because of it. The whole deal with Monarch's parents and he and Rusty playing together as kids should never have been introduced as early as it was if they weren't going to pay it off some way. Sure, we get an implied connection with Vendata but it just never felt like it went anywhere.

I know with that particular example they just said they ran out of time and couldn't get to it but I feel they handled that sort of thing much better with, say, the mystery of Billy's hand or Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's voice - something they joke about for quite some time and pay off in an organic way without it feeling like a huge deal.

e: steak should only be cut in a blender

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Steak should be cut with your incisors.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The steak should onlay be cat with ceramic knoife. Aymazing! So simpell!

revolther
May 27, 2008
Every crazy ritzy steak place I've been takes pride in being able to give you essentially a butter knife to slice the tenderness.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

revolther posted:

Every crazy ritzy steak place I've been takes pride in being able to give you essentially a butter knife to slice the tenderness.

is that what you call your dick?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
One of my favorite things from this show is that Doc isn't evil or dumb- he's just very lax on ethical boundaries & lazy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

notZaar posted:

Steak should be cut with your incisors.

deong posted:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I am tired of Sgt. Vatred's boobs.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Forks are for pussies. :clint:

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
I want to complain about Hammer and McCulloch's voice acting but it sort helps cement the world they've created. (In that you can instantly tell who's voicing a character, and apparently a lot of characters are from New York/have east coast accents) Or wherever the pronunciation of robot as "ruhbit" is a thing. A recent episode of The Goldbergs has the dad saying that instead of robot in a bit and thats a Philadelphia area show.

After a recent re-watch of the show, the episode that made me laugh the most is Mid-life Chrysalis. Who taped Dr Venture's glasses to his catapillar head? Helper? And the way Hank is just a-ok with him being a big worm; Brock's expired secret agent licence and the bartender who makes fun of him, Brock's secret agent test, the boys on their own with the nasty drink bet, the boys trying to be helpful for Brock's test and Dr Venture trying to be all 70's style sexyman in the late 90s/early 2000's or whenever the show is supposed to be taking place.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

FetusSlapper posted:

the boys trying to be helpful for Brock's test

THIS IS THE MOMENT

THE VERY INSTANT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I love that song. It's a perfect recreation of montage music.

What you telling me little man? You don't like Zep?

Also watching the first reason, Brock talked really low. Warburton almost sounds asleep half the time when Brock talks casually.

Hank trying to motivate Brock during that whole montage was just the icing on the cake. Poor Dean, he got destroyed by Brock even wearing all that padded armor. What makes me love this show is how they far they will go back for a callback or reference from a previous episode. During Dr. Girlfriend's wedding, Rusty is like hey you are from the previous time and when Dr GF explains that Monarch was going to wack him with a big bug swatter all I could think was, yeah that would be a thing Monarch would do.