Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

havent seen it posted here, but VWoA is offering buybacks to the dealerships if they end up sitting on an un-sellable car for 60 days they will buy back at a pre-scandal price.

The dealership should know about this and not be offering trade-in that low.

That was my understanding and basically the whole reason I even considered it. The dealer also "didn't know" about the $2k TDI loyalty thing or the gift cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Today was a big day: the A4 officially crossed 100K miles. Here's to hoping I can squeeze out at least another 50K.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nostrum posted:

That was my understanding and basically the whole reason I even considered it. The dealer also "didn't know" about the $2k TDI loyalty thing or the gift cards.

That loyalty bonus (which was not TDI related) ended at the beginning of November.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

Stopped by the dealer today since they (surprisingly) had batteries that were reasonably priced. Turns out the Golf R is excluded from the "we hosed up" discount. It's probably for the best.

Of course it is. They sell every R they can get their hands on.

As to 8500 for trade-in on the TDI golf, that's rough. I got 12k for my 11 TDI that I traded in back at the end of July, but mine only had 43k miles on it. It also had a really nice dent on the rear rocker panel from the jack slipping off :) I didn't bother to point it out.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Residency Evil posted:

Stopped by the dealer today since they (surprisingly) had batteries that were reasonably priced. Turns out the Golf R is excluded from the "we hosed up" discount. It's probably for the best.

My local Audi parts shop has been cheaper than anywhere else on coolant, power steering fluid and oil, though I think it varies from dealership to dealership how much you get price-gouged.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Did my first fill up of the new Golf and by reflex put premium in, which is what my old Jetta 1.8t required. Looking in the fuel filler cap it looks like it says Regular 87 but then there's a lot of Spanish and the number 91. So I don't know if this thing actually takes regular or requires premium. The manual doesn't make it clear either.

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013
Oh god what have I done?! Is this bad? This is bad, isn't it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

Did my first fill up of the new Golf and by reflex put premium in, which is what my old Jetta 1.8t required. Looking in the fuel filler cap it looks like it says Regular 87 but then there's a lot of Spanish and the number 91. So I don't know if this thing actually takes regular or requires premium. The manual doesn't make it clear either.
87 octane is 91 research octane number (RON). Your car uses regular, the 91 is just the RON value that's used in some places outside of North America.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Alabamarama posted:

That's awesome. One of my favorite cars was my '92 UrS4. I imagine the projector lights are going to be tough to come by more than 20 years later?

What's the story?

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013
Blew a head gasket. Sat for 18 months. I rescued it and am in the process of fixing it. Have the head back on, engine is timed, just waiting on some $56 waste gate gaskets and then I get to find out if anything else is wrong with it! It's been a huge pain dealing with the cooling system, but it's a VW so I should have known.

Has a rs2 setup on it, and it seems to be in very good shape. I am hoping to be into the car less than $5k, but we shall see. I had no trouble locaring a pair of headlights. The crunched urs6-only driver's side fender and front bumper are a different story though.

It's a 1995.5 in "casablanca" white.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Alabamarama posted:

crunched urs6-only driver's side fender

Oh drat. That's a rare part. The good thing is that they went crazy with the galvanizing on them, so they never rust. The bad thing is that they made so damned few of them... how bad is yours crunched?

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013

meatpimp posted:

how bad is yours crunched?

Bad.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yup, that's bad. Surprisingly, though, car-part.com shows at least 6 left front fenders for '95 S6 cars for sale across the US...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Am I insane for wanting an 80's Quattro? What is the best year? Are they horribly unreliable/expensive to run?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Red_Fred posted:

Am I insane for wanting an 80's Quattro? What is the best year? Are they horribly unreliable/expensive to run?

Depends. "'80s quattro" covers a broad spread of cars, ur-q, 5kcstq, 5kcsq, 4kcsq, and many mongrels that have been made with lego-ing since then. All of them will have stout, solid 5 cylinder bottom ends, the better ones will have turbos, all of them will have flaky electrical systems, window switches and regulators that fail, headlight switches that run the main headlight power through the switch itself, all kinds of '80s German engineering.

So you really need to narrow down what you're looking for in order to get a reasonable answer to your question.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Are they horribly unreliable/expensive to run?

Engines are reliable once tuned correctly but you're gonna have a tough time tuning them right if you live in an emissions state. The electrics will drive you insane.

The actual driving experience will be awesome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alabamarama posted:

:getin:

Red_Fred posted:

Yes and No. The 80s Quattros are MECHANICALLY reliable, the biggest issue you will run into is their aging CIS fuel injection system. They are incredibly easy to add EFI systems to though, as all you have to do is swap in new injector bungs and get a fuel rail, the fuel pump and lines are already rated for EFI injection.

Otherwise, they share common parts with other VW group cars and motors, are easy to modify, easy to fix, and fun as hell to drive even stock.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 15, 2015

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2015/11/09/greenpeace-targets-volkswagen-over-emissions-scandal

A bunch of Greenpeace members showed up at VW headquarters to protest... after they had already made international headlines, gotten targeted by a whole mess of lawsuits and investigations, and started working on fixing the cars in question. What could they be possibly be hoping to accomplish, if not mindless attention whoring?

quote:

In addition to their banner, the Greenpeace protesters also held a "C'' and a "2'' on either side of the round VW logo at the factory entrance, spelling out "CO2."

Never mind that the problem was with nitrogen oxides, not CO2. Or that any fix, if it does in fact end up compromising fuel economy, would increase CO2 emissions (of course that's better than the NOx they're putting out, but still...).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CO2 is an issue too.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a27344/vw-admits-half-million-cars-emit-too-much-co2/

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013

Red_Fred posted:

Am I insane for wanting an 80's Quattro?

Yes but just buy one anyway. So far my URS-car has been no more of a pain to work on than anything else. That said, I have yet to see it run.

Meatpimp, thank you for pointing me toward a fender. I owe you big time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cockmaster posted:

http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2015/11/09/greenpeace-targets-volkswagen-over-emissions-scandal

A bunch of Greenpeace members showed up at VW headquarters to protest... after they had already made international headlines, gotten targeted by a whole mess of lawsuits and investigations, and started working on fixing the cars in question. What could they be possibly be hoping to accomplish, if not mindless attention whoring?

Never mind that the problem was with nitrogen oxides, not CO2. Or that any fix, if it does in fact end up compromising fuel economy, would increase CO2 emissions (of course that's better than the NOx they're putting out, but still...).

So in your opinion VW has been punished enough?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

Depends. "'80s quattro" covers a broad spread of cars, ur-q, 5kcstq, 5kcsq, 4kcsq, and many mongrels that have been made with lego-ing since then. All of them will have stout, solid 5 cylinder bottom ends, the better ones will have turbos, all of them will have flaky electrical systems, window switches and regulators that fail, headlight switches that run the main headlight power through the switch itself, all kinds of '80s German engineering.

So you really need to narrow down what you're looking for in order to get a reasonable answer to your question.

I think the Ur-q as my dad had one back in the 80s. Can't find any near me though.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Alabamarama posted:

Yes but just buy one anyway. So far my URS-car has been no more of a pain to work on than anything else. That said, I have yet to see it run.

Meatpimp, thank you for pointing me toward a fender. I owe you big time.

I love my urs6, it's a loving tank. When you get it running, go through the list of things that will strand you on the side of the road, which you can find on quattroworld's UrS section.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

meatpimp posted:

:staredog:

Dumb question -- ordered a oil change kit for my B7 because it's about time I start doing it myself (I would have saved a shitload of money at this point had I ponied up for the tools ages ago) -- I have ramps, can I use those and leave my car at a slight angle while doing the change to avoid jacking up the car, or would I have to jack up the rear and put it on jackstands anyway?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

movax posted:

:staredog:

Dumb question -- ordered a oil change kit for my B7 because it's about time I start doing it myself (I would have saved a shitload of money at this point had I ponied up for the tools ages ago) -- I have ramps, can I use those and leave my car at a slight angle while doing the change to avoid jacking up the car, or would I have to jack up the rear and put it on jackstands anyway?

Yep, lots of melted headlight switches, right in the dashboard. A simple relay setup fixes the problem and gives you better lighting.

Where's the drain on the oil pan? If it's downhill when you have it on ramps, you're good to drain and fill (checking level when it's level, obviously).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Yep, lots of melted headlight switches, right in the dashboard. A simple relay setup fixes the problem and gives you better lighting.

Where's the drain on the oil pan? If it's downhill when you have it on ramps, you're good to drain and fill (checking level when it's level, obviously).

From the pics I've seen, looks like it's facing the rear of the vehicle, so if anything, draining it would work better on the ramps. Then I can fill conservatively while on the incline, drive it off the ramps, and recheck + top-off after that if I understand correctly.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
So dumb question, I tried to add some lubrimoly diesel additive to my jetta and completely spaced that it has the filler lock, if I just pour it over the lock will it still end up in the tank?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

So dumb question, I tried to add some lubrimoly diesel additive to my jetta and completely spaced that it has the filler lock, if I just pour it over the lock will it still end up in the tank?

It should have come with a filler cone that screws onto where the cap screws off of.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Powershift posted:

It should have come with a filler cone that screws onto where the cap screws off of.

It does, but the filler tube didn't push the two tabs on the top outside of the lock to allow the flap to unlock. I just poured it slowly over the flap but I am hoping to hear someone say i didn't just waste an entire can.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/industry/1511/vw-golf-gti-hot-hatch-added-to-emissions-cheats/

Dank.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

If it's coming out that VW hosed around with their non diesel engines too lmao

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

"Yea bro, it's totally underrated from the factory, too!"

Not anymore. :smug:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Cool. Good thing I bought one of those two weeks ago since they were offering such great incentives to combat dropped sales from the TDIs.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

"Check this out man, just scored some Molly for a sweet price off a guy I know. He just got busted selling bags of caffeine and baking soda, but whatever, it's not like I was looking for coke!"

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wonder if I can double dip here: trade in my Mk6 GTI for a new GTI which will then be recalled. :v:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Wheeee posted:

"Check this out man, just scored some Molly for a sweet price off a guy I know. He just got busted selling bags of caffeine and baking soda, but whatever, it's not like I was looking for coke!"

Oh it's totally on me. No argument there.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Oh well, either way you have the nicest car in the segment.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
So a couple pages ago I was asking about an '06 A4 Quattro. I took it over to my mechanic and he found the engine was slowly leaking both oil and coolant, and the lower motor mounts were done for. The struts and sway arm bushings for all four wheels were shot. Plus, the timing belt was 20,000 miles past due. Oh, and sometime between the time I test drove it and the inspection a week later, the right front window stopped rolling down. Obviously I walked, especially since the owner still wouldn't budge on the price (mechanic told me it's worth about 60% of asking price), but I showed the leak to him and he flipped out because he'd "juuust fixed that!" right before he put it up for sale. All in all, $80 well spent for me.

I hear Subaru's are pretty nice AWD cars... :v:

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

The Casualty posted:

I hear Subaru's are pretty nice AWD cars... :v:

Yeah, this is probably me next time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

This is only in OZ according to the article. That being said, I have -always- gotten better mileage than whatever the car was rated for.

Including the R. I'm getting around 27-29mpg depending on how heavy my foot is.