Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

Are you sure about that? Because in New Vegas the 'lots of small hits being worse than one big one' was the result of the DT system. If you had 10 DT then three hits for 25-damage each would only do 15 damage each, 45 total vs one hit for 75-damage doing 65 damage total.

I was under the impression that the DR system in FO3/4 was a % reduction. If you have 50 DR, and are hit three times for 20 damage each you take 30 total (20/2 times 3) whereas being hit once for 60 damage would also be 30 damage total.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Resistance#Fallout_4

it's the morrowind system except it's no longer linear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Prophecy120 posted:

So laser beam splitters are useless right? I swap out my beam focus mod for the splitter and the laser rifle damage goes from 90 to 93, and the range drops from 203 to 117 and it seems like every individual beam has to hit for it all to add up to 93. I see literally zero reason to ever use this.

It's basically for turning your rifle into a shotgun - think of it in those terms and you'll still find a use for it.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

khy posted:

Is there marriage in the game other than the spouse that dies 5 minute in?

You can give someone your DEAD WIFE'S wedding ring. I duplicated it and gave them to Codsworth and Curie, so I could live out my fantasy of a polyamorous, roboamorous lifestyle

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Deified Data posted:

I play with the radio off about 90% of the time - I find it distracting. The score is perfect.
I agree.

Though there is this one ambient song that plays inside various locations. At some points in the song it hits just the right note where it sounds like a mine beeping which always disturbs me when I'm sneaking around.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Resistance#Fallout_4

it's the morrowind system except it's no longer linear

So that's why your damage just takes a nose dive on survival.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Inverness posted:

I agree.

Though there is this one ambient song that plays inside various locations. At some points in the song it hits just the right note where it sounds like a mine beeping which always disturbs me when I'm sneaking around.

I could of sworne I was getting emails on my work phone all the time. It was pretty confusing.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
:eng101: To bring this scooby snack up again, if anyone is having trouble getting ammo or running out of it ... pick up enemy guns. You'll automatically empty them (and they always seem to be full). That means that basically every laser weapon you pick up will net you 30 fusion cells. It explains why that mission where I fought a lot of synths and picked up all of their lovely institute lasers gained me like 800 fusion cells, where I only had 150 or so the past 20 levels.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any weapons that deal radiation damage besides the flare gun and the gamma gun?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Iceshade posted:

:eng101: To bring this scooby snack up again, if anyone is having trouble getting ammo or running out of it ... pick up enemy guns. You'll automatically empty them (and they always seem to be full). That means that basically every laser weapon you pick up will net you 30 fusion cells. It explains why that mission where I fought a lot of synths and picked up all of their lovely institute lasers gained me like 800 fusion cells, where I only had 150 or so the past 20 levels.

I had no idea. I've been missing out on a lot of ammo because I didn't want to be burdened with enemy weapons.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Deified Data posted:

It's basically for turning your rifle into a shotgun - think of it in those terms and you'll still find a use for it.

Right, that's the idea at least on paper. For that to work the beam splitter would have to greatly reduce your range (which it does) and greatly increase the damage (which it doesn't). At level 37 with rank 4 Rifleman my heavily modded laser rifle does 90 damage, and my combat shotgun does 154 damage. For a laser shotgun to be useful, the mod would need to bring that 90 damage around that ~150 damage mark the regular shotgun has, not 93 like the mod provides now.

Edit: How hard would it be to edit weapon and modifications damage tables? Is that something that can only be done with the creation kit?

Prophecy120 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 17, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

GhostDog posted:

Is it normal that many detail textures load very very slowly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ1IO-4pYUk

Quoting myself. Adding these to Fallout.ini seems to have considerably improved the situation:

iTextureUpgradeDistance1=3600
iTextureUpgradeDistance0=1800
iTextureDegradeDistance1=4500
iTextureDegradeDistance0=2400

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Question: Some weapons like the plasma pistol/plasma rifle don't appear to have any discernible difference between their essential make-up and can both be easily modded into the other on a whim by switching out the barrel and stock. So what perk determines their damage bonus? Perks for pistols or perks for rifles? If it changes, what parts truly determine if it's a pistol or a rifle?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Inverness posted:

I agree.

There's one underground station, I think the one near the Malden Centre, that has a tannoy message which is signaled by a noise that is pretty much exactly like my doorbell. I tell ya that got old fast.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Deified Data posted:

Question: Some weapons like the plasma pistol/plasma rifle don't appear to have any discernible difference between their essential make-up and can both be easily modded into the other on a whim by switching out the barrel and stock. So what perk determines their damage bonus? Perks for pistols or perks for rifles? If it changes, what parts truly determine if it's a pistol or a rifle?

Seems like if you modify the stock of an Institute Pistol to a big one, it gets renamed to Institute Rifle. So maybe that one.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Deified Data posted:

Just the stock. Grips are pistols, stocks are rifles.

But it doesn't matter, hit things with power sledge.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jeza posted:

Seems like if you modify the stock of an Institute Pistol to a big one, it gets renamed to Institute Rifle. So maybe that one.

If nothing else you can look at the animation, pistols are held in one hand, rifles use two handed animations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If nothing else you can look at the animation, pistols are held in one hand, rifles use two handed animations.

Yeah, stock seems to be the only thing that effects how it's held.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Are there any weapons that deal radiation damage besides the flare gun and the gamma gun?

Random drops from Legendaries can have it. The only other weapon I know of off the top of my head is melee weapon from a quest line. Irradiated sword from the Gilded Grasshopper case that you get from Nick Valentine's office.. think he has to join you first then you can work on some of his old cases.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Most weapons are like this, from the early bolt weapons to stuff like laser and plasma weapons.

Generally, if it has a stock, rifle, if not pistol. If you put on an auto receiver it will be classed as an auto, and use the commando perk.
As long as you haven't given it a custom name, the name of the gun will change to reflect what perk it will use.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I know you can mod a hunting rifle into an AMR with a .50 caliber receiver and other things, but I guess there are no explosive rounds like in New Vegas?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
woke up today to play and now none of the voices are working in conversations. they just stand around and move their mouths and nothing comes out, was working last night, did absolutely nothing, tried restarting, nothing.

Nevermind, it was my speakers, restarting the unit fixed it for some reason.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 17, 2015

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

So that's why your damage just takes a nose dive on survival.

Not quite

quote:

Note that this is applied *after* the ratio and exponent are calculated, so damage resistance is applied on the base potential weapon damage, before difficulty-based multipliers are included in. This means that damage resistance is the same level of effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) on every difficulty level.
You do gently caress all damage on survival because you do gently caress all damage on survival. The difficulty modifier has no unique interactions with the damage formula. If you took 20 damage on normal, you would take 40 damage on Survival. If you damaged something for 20 on normal, you would damage it for 10 on Survival (or something like that. Incoming damage might not be 2x).

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I would like to say that the animations in this game are way better than I was expecting. The ambling on the Protectrons is especially good.

Also, this game has the best-looking water fountains?? I think more time was spent modeling and animating the water fountains than the main plot

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 17, 2015

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
I might have missed it going through hundreds of posts, but how do I get my settlement happiness to get higher than 85? I've got tier 3 shops, high security, kitten paintings, the works!

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
What's the difference between Very Hard and Survival? It appears that on both difficulties you deal 0.5x damage, and take 2x damage. Legendary on Very Hard is 2x, Survival is 3x.

What happens to enemy HP on Very Hard and Survival though? My google-fu appears to let me down :downs:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inverness posted:

I know you can mod a hunting rifle into an AMR with a .50 caliber receiver and other things, but I guess there are no explosive rounds like in New Vegas?

Explosive rounds are a legendary modifier for weapons now.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Iceshade posted:

What's the difference between Very Hard and Survival? It appears that on both difficulties you deal 0.5x damage, and take 2x damage. Legendary on Very Hard is 2x, Survival is 3x.

What happens to enemy HP on Very Hard and Survival though? My google-fu appears to let me down :downs:

You heal slower on Survival.

Nothing else changes. Enemy HP is the same.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Iceshade posted:

Survival has really slow health recovery from stimpacks/food

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So is there a reason why I can't send settlers or followers to either Sanctuary or The Castle Now? Is it because I have max settlers for both?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

So is there a reason why I can't send settlers or followers to either Sanctuary or The Castle Now? Is it because I have max settlers for both?

If it already has like 4 provisioners going to/from, you can not send any more. You only need one line to any given settlement to share resources between it and all other settlements connected on the same network.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Kiggles posted:

You heal slower on Survival.

Nothing else changes. Enemy HP is the same.

Oh. So I have basically been playing Survival all along. Might as well change it to Survival then. So far I've not actually had trouble with bullet sponge enemies (except for a sentry bot I had to kill with a 2 shot musket, a lovely .308 and a .38.. uuuuuugggghhh)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wait does survival really only change the healing rate from items? I had no idea the damage ratio was the same. If that's the case then I really don't get all the bullet sponge enemy complaints.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Question from later on in the main quest: Is it ever made clear whether or not synths are actually killing people and taking their place? I just did the Institute quest that starts with delivering a packet of seeds to an undercover synth farmer, and the ending made me pause - the antagonist there is suspicious and wants to kill the synth, and says "The REAL farmer is already dead, because this synth killed him!" Is that true? The other alternative is that maybe the synth has been aboveground long enough to have had a wife and kids?

I haven't finished the game yet, but I already know I'm not going to get to sit down with Shaun and say "look, the institute is incredible, and I'm totally onboard, but we need to stop loving with the surface and stop keeping all these human synths as slaves. Keep making them for the labor if you want, just quit trying to make them so smart. No one ever complained about the rights of a Mr. Gutsy."

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Hahahaha holy poo poo that reduced healing rate is no joke. On Very Hard I could pop a stimpack or eat twenty cheese wheels and my HP would be up in less than 3 seconds. It's now taking a full minute+ for 30 HP.

This is going to make things VERY interesting.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So what's the key to getting more powerful guns? I'm starting to reach a point where my 70 damage rifle and 35-40 damage laser aren't doing a whole lot anymore, is it all about modding/perks to increase their damage? Or do you eventually find guns with higher damage?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

GhostDog posted:

Quoting myself. Adding these to Fallout.ini seems to have considerably improved the situation:

iTextureUpgradeDistance1=3600
iTextureUpgradeDistance0=1800
iTextureDegradeDistance1=4500
iTextureDegradeDistance0=2400

Which Fallout.ini? There's like 4!

Manatee Cannon posted:

yeah that's one of my favorite areas, tho the guy with the fatman on a sniper's perch can kiss my rear end

You mean this guy? :v:

(4K)

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 17, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phenotype posted:

--- Keep making them for the labor if you want, just quit trying to make them so smart. No one ever complained about the rights of a Mr. Gutsy."

Actually, if you hang out with Deacon, he mentions that this is a huge point of arguments within the railroad. Everyone wants to save the Gen 3 synths, but when you go down to Gen 2 and Gen 1, people have wildly different opinions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Attaching a grip makes it a pistol, while a stock makes it a rifle. You can also attach an automatic barrel or a scatter barrel to make it automatic or a laser shotgun.

I find it interesting that energy weapons are almost as moddable as pipe weapons. It makes playing with energy weapons pretty fun.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

So what's the key to getting more powerful guns? I'm starting to reach a point where my 70 damage rifle and 35-40 damage laser aren't doing a whole lot anymore, is it all about modding/perks to increase their damage? Or do you eventually find guns with higher damage?

Getting the modding and damage perks. Also finding unique weapons that do extra damage off of legendary enemies. I've got a Combat Rifle that does 10 points of explosive damage, it's great for tearing ghouls up.

Also, what's up with the shotguns in this game? Unless I get right up and shove the gun down their throat they do gently caress all damage. I get that shotguns are meant for close range but this is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Curie confirmed for the ultimate waifu, sorry other companions you just don't stack up

• Locked thread