Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Curie is great and worth not having 100 more carry weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait does survival really only change the healing rate from items? I had no idea the damage ratio was the same. If that's the case then I really don't get all the bullet sponge enemy complaints.

Probably just a product of dying when trying to burn down an NPC. Since you can stim and face tank (barely) thanks to the regen giving you the edge on Very Hard, NPCs seem to have less health because they simply die before you do. On Survival those situations will end with you dead because the health regen fails to outpace the incoming damage and it just seems the enemy has a lot of health, where they _effectively_ have a ton of health either way.

But yeah, it kinda confused me too. Personally, I'm not bothering with either. I don't like silly damage spikes, and I'm literally swimming in hundreds of stims on Hard difficulty. Having them heal even slower would likely just result in me having that many more stims because I'm playing that much more carefully.

I would like to have Survival as a toggle, like NV Hardcore, that both slowed health regen, but also dramatically reduced stim pack drop rates to like 1/10th of their current rate. Something to give value to all of the meats and cooking, since you couldn't always count on the stims being there. As is, they might as well replace caps as currency.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this game handles shawn so weird later in the game

he's your son but he's basically talking to you like he's your father, and hell that's what he's called

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Something interesting:

I had a quest given by one settler. After taking the quest, I ordered this settler to create a supply line. So when I finished the quest I had to find this guy to tell him the quest was complete. The marker was jumping from settlement to settlement until I found it in some random place. It seems supply lines are not magical, the dude really have to walk to the other settlement :D

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

woke up today to play and now none of the voices are working in conversations. they just stand around and move their mouths and nothing comes out, was working last night, did absolutely nothing, tried restarting, nothing.

Nevermind, it was my speakers, restarting the unit fixed it for some reason.

If you play on the Xbone the system has a bug with surround systems where if you have 5.1 or 7.1 listed in the sound settings the center channel doesn't play so no voices.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

jabro posted:

If you play on the Xbone the system has a bug with surround systems where if you have 5.1 or 7.1 listed in the sound settings the center channel doesn't play so no voices.

Lol weird I had that bug like 7 years ago. In Fallout 3. On PC.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Can we get a fallout that doesn't take place in the United States next?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Huh, apparently settlers will use any gun you equip on them if you also give them at least 1 appropriate ammo. They will never actually use this ammo, just keep it in their inventory.
Better get to hauling back all those Miniguns you find scattered around.

zooted heh posted:

I've heard the world outside of the states in the Fallout universe is kind of irrelevant. Europe apparently destroyed most of itself before the bombs even fell, and most of Asia and Africa are even worse off than the States.

Edit: Apparently the British Isles are actually somewhat keeping up, though, from what I've gathered.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

zooted heh posted:

I feel like Americana is a really important aspect of what makes a Fallout game a Fallout game.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Empress Theonora posted:

I feel like Americana is a really important aspect of what makes a Fallout game a Fallout game.

Plenty of Americana got shipped to places that aren't the US.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Fallout has taught me that pop music from the 50s was just as stupid and overtly sexual as today.

Rocket 69 is like if Nicki Minaj had decided that Anaconda was too subtle.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

Yeah, this. Fallout is a parody of the 1950s American future, and stuff like the Pip-Boy, Nuka Cola and general aesthetic are rooted in mid-20th century Americana. The Vaults themselves and the idea of surviving and rebuilding after nuclear war are very much tied to American attitudes.

That isn't to say I wouldn't want to see other parts of the Fallout world, but I wouldn't trust it to Americans to make.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phenotype posted:

Question from later on in the main quest: Is it ever made clear whether or not synths are actually killing people and taking their place? I just did the Institute quest that starts with delivering a packet of seeds to an undercover synth farmer, and the ending made me pause - the antagonist there is suspicious and wants to kill the synth, and says "The REAL farmer is already dead, because this synth killed him!" Is that true? The other alternative is that maybe the synth has been aboveground long enough to have had a wife and kids?

I haven't finished the game yet, but I already know I'm not going to get to sit down with Shaun and say "look, the institute is incredible, and I'm totally onboard, but we need to stop loving with the surface and stop keeping all these human synths as slaves. Keep making them for the labor if you want, just quit trying to make them so smart. No one ever complained about the rights of a Mr. Gutsy."

fwiw, (spoilers re that quest) I didn't do the quest but I did see the terminal in the bio lab where they talk about the phases of that experiment and I could be misremembering but it definitely seems like that farmer was murdered and replaced after he already had a family. The end of the memo regarding this synth heavily insinuates that at the conclusion of the experiment the synth will be recalled and the family will be murdered/disappeared.

That's one of the things that ended up clinching my decision. Yeah they are maybe good intentioned with some bad leadership or whatever but at the end of the day they're all complicit in at least one murder and probably a lot more.

Oh I also remembered there's a random event I saw in Goodneighbor where it's some dude crying because the security just shot his brother who was in fact a synth and he was like 'he seemed just like my brother...' so that guy definitely got disappeared and replaced at one point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

zooted heh posted:

What would that be like though? It seems like it could only be based on stereotypes of what those places are and that seems like it'd go real bad. Like you couldn't make china like actual china but you couldn't make china the china that would exist with the america that is america in fallout.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Question from later on in the main quest: Is it ever made clear whether or not synths are actually killing people and taking their place? I just did the Institute quest that starts with delivering a packet of seeds to an undercover synth farmer, and the ending made me pause - the antagonist there is suspicious and wants to kill the synth, and says "The REAL farmer is already dead, because this synth killed him!" Is that true? The other alternative is that maybe the synth has been aboveground long enough to have had a wife and kids?

I haven't finished the game yet, but I already know I'm not going to get to sit down with Shaun and say "look, the institute is incredible, and I'm totally onboard, but we need to stop loving with the surface and stop keeping all these human synths as slaves. Keep making them for the labor if you want, just quit trying to make them so smart. No one ever complained about the rights of a Mr. Gutsy."

It's a little unclear. In some cases they are just synths who have always been synths but in others they are straight-up replacements.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Curie is great and worth not having 100 more carry weight.

I wish I could tolerate companions more. I tend to head straight for things, and the whole "Dogmeat/Lydia/Whoever can't navigate that way and I can't find them because they are trying to navigate this mountain" thing has happened just enough in Bethesda games that I'm either ignoring them or babysitting them OCD style. It's made worse by not being able to arbitrarily wait an hour to shake things out, to say nothing about how Carry Weight is the One True Skill...

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 17, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PantsBandit posted:

Fallout has taught me that pop music from the 50s was just as stupid and overtly sexual as today.

Rocket 69 is like if Nicki Minaj had decided that Anaconda was too subtle.

I have no idea what you mean.

*walks away humming 15 minutes of teasin', 15 minutes of squeezin', 15 minutes of blowin' my top (bop bop bop)*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of hate how (institute spoilers) Father is like yeah dude let's sit down and discuss this I'm an open book! but I can't ever actually be like 'alright dude so explain the murders and kidnappings?' and ask any hard questions. He just keeps saying 'you'll see, you'll get it!' but I'm not really seeing anything to explain the evil poo poo they are engaged in. At the very least I want to ask what the long term goal with the synths is and how they're 'the future' of humanity. Future as what slaves? Our replacements? What's the loving end goal? I have no idea so how am I supposed to support you? At least the BoS makes their intentions clear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MisterBibs posted:

I wish I could tolerate companions more. I tend to head straight for things, and the whole "Dogmeat/Lydia/Whoever can't navigate that way and I can't find them because they are trying to navigate this mountain" thing has happened just enough in Bethesda games that I'm either ignoring them or babysitting them OCD style. It's made worse by not being able to arbitrarily wait an hour to shake things out, to say nothing about how Carry Weight is the One True Skill...

I just wish I hadn't put these points into Lone Wanderer ahead of time. I'll go back to Dogmeat later but I'm having more fun with companions than I thought I would.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah Morrowind really traumatized me against companions but fwiw in FO4 you can just ignore them and they'll find their way to you. If they really get lost the game will just teleport them closer I'm pretty sure.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's just so much various dialogue and comments for the different companions that you can find in various locations and quests. Try bringing Codsworth to some of the other Mr. Handy'ies around, for example, like the bartender in Diamond City.

Edit: also, funny thing about Nick. If you check around his office, you will find a report on him investigating some "Mysterious Stranger" that shows up out of the blue and kills people, with a lot of details on prior sightings and theories on his training/equipment. Now, if you have the "Mysterious stranger" perk and Nick in tow, when it triggers, Nick will shout stuff like "There he is!" and "It's him!".

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 17, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah Strong likes to run off shooting every drat raider he sees in Boston but he'll just teleport over to me when I get too far.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Does chameloen break the pip boy for anyone else?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zooted heh posted:

play metro 2033 and last light

e: also stalker

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 17, 2015

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Iceshade posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo that reduced healing rate is no joke. On Very Hard I could pop a stimpack or eat twenty cheese wheels and my HP would be up in less than 3 seconds. It's now taking a full minute+ for 30 HP.

This is going to make things VERY interesting.

It makes becoming a sharpshooter very helpful, and forces you to use the environment + mines to help you out for when poo poo goes south, and go south it will.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Serf posted:

Yeah, this. Fallout is a parody of the 1950s American future, and stuff like the Pip-Boy, Nuka Cola and general aesthetic are rooted in mid-20th century Americana. The Vaults themselves and the idea of surviving and rebuilding after nuclear war are very much tied to American attitudes.

That isn't to say I wouldn't want to see other parts of the Fallout world, but I wouldn't trust it to Americans to make.

Especially Republicans, AMIRITE?????

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Just realized I've played for twenty hours, most of those outdoors, and I've yet to see a single radiation storm.

Are they rare, am I bugged, or do you need to trigger something for them to start?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

zooted heh posted:

Not unless J.E. Sawyer gets carte blanche and unlimited budget. Then you'll get a game set during the Resource Wars, after Europe has already collapsed but the US and China are still strong (giving you two strong outsider factions to align with)

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Manatee Cannon posted:

play metro 2033 and last light

e: also stalker

Yeah, before your edit I was gonna say Stalker. While Metro is a fun game, it's a linear scripted shooter with lots of Steven J Blum

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think it's really interesting to watch cold war/nuclear war stuff from other countries.

The obvious is Japan where people have talked forever about the apologetic "we deserved this"/"mankind deserved this" fear of the nuclear bomb.

But it's interesting to look at like british sci-fi for post apocalyptic stuff, It's all super bleak, when the wind blows, threads, the quiet earth, even the bed sitting room all have this same attitude of hopelessness. In the cold war england was never really super important and if there was a nuclear war they would sort of just be caught in it helplessly while the US and the USSR did it and every single movie they made reflects a weird "we are hosed" attitude where everyone is dying then at the end dies, where most US stuff ends with the hero fixing everything and bringing back the good life to the wasteland.

A british apocalypse would make a terrible video game I think.

Time of the wolf is the only french end of the world movie and it just seemed like naked kids and rape.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Iceshade posted:

Yeah, before your edit I was gonna say Stalker. While Metro is a fun game, it's a linear scripted shooter with lots of Steven J Blum

play it in russian with subtitles

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it's really interesting to watch cold war/nuclear war stuff from other countries.

The obvious is Japan where people have talked forever about the apologetic "we deserved this"/"mankind deserved this" fear of the nuclear bomb.

But it's interesting to look at like british sci-fi for post apocalyptic stuff, It's all super bleak, when the wind blows, threads, the quiet earth, even the bed sitting room all have this same attitude of hopelessness. In the cold war england was never really super important and if there was a nuclear war they would sort of just be caught in it helplessly while the US and the USSR did it and every single movie they made reflects a weird "we are hosed" attitude where everyone is dying then at the end dies, where most US stuff ends with the hero fixing everything and bringing back the good life to the wasteland.

A british apocalypse would make a terrible video game I think.

Time of the wolf is the only french end of the world movie and it just seemed like naked kids and rape.

idk I think that could work. check out the last of us as an example

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Bobulus posted:

Just realized I've played for twenty hours, most of those outdoors, and I've yet to see a single radiation storm.

Are they rare, am I bugged, or do you need to trigger something for them to start?
Have you visited the Glowing Sea yet? The storms didn't trigger until after I came back from there.

Moridin920 posted:

I kind of hate how (institute spoilers) Father is like yeah dude let's sit down and discuss this I'm an open book! but I can't ever actually be like 'alright dude so explain the murders and kidnappings?' and ask any hard questions. He just keeps saying 'you'll see, you'll get it!' but I'm not really seeing anything to explain the evil poo poo they are engaged in. At the very least I want to ask what the long term goal with the synths is and how they're 'the future' of humanity. Future as what slaves? Our replacements? What's the loving end goal? I have no idea so how am I supposed to support you? At least the BoS makes their intentions clear.
This. This, oh, this. It was really frustrating that I could never grill anyone I met from the Institute. Nick lost his memories so he has an excuse, but Virgil could have told me everything I needed to know, which would have been smart since he wanted me to steal something from there. When I get to the Institute proper, Shaun gives me errands instead of explanations. I hacked a few computers to dig up info, but find nothing really meaningful.

Why is the Institute making synths? Why are they so keen on recovering runaways when they can mass produce the things like sausages? Why are they replacing people on the surface with synth doppelgangers? If their goal is to rebuild human society, what have they been doing the past 200 years in their isolated lair?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 17, 2015

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Have you visited the Glowing Sea yet? The storms didn't trigger until after I came back from there.

I have not. That explains it. Thanks!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Iceshade posted:

I'd like to see the people complaining about grenades in this game play STALKER.

Bobulus posted:

I have not. That explains it. Thanks!

No it doesn't, cause I haven't been there and seen several radiation storms. Its all rng.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

that's definitely not it because I had radiation storms way before then

in fact, one happened when I first met nick valentine during the main story, well before I'd even known the glowing sea existed

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
You don't need to visit the Glowing Sea first. The rad storms are just pretty rare. The only one I've seen (this was before I did the Glowing Sea) was after I warped back to Diamond City. I got there, saw the storm, thought "huh, this is pretty cool but I don't want to take on a bunch of rads" and then spent the night in the dugout inn.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Bobulus posted:

At least you know what they are and they are coming. While on my way to Tenpines or whatever it is, I was crouched in a rainstorm with a pack of feral dogs ahead of me in a pit and I was wondering why I was getting hit by low doses of radiation.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Fallout Dubai would be really interesting but the Americanization of the area didn't really happen until waaaaay after Fallout's retrofuture inspiration :sigh:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Bobulus posted:

Think you're just lucky. I've hit about a half dozen so far. No idea what my played time is. Almost afraid to look.

Edit: Confirming you don't need the Glowing Sea to trigger them. I got them before I ever hit Diamond City. I was still running errands for Preston back in Sanctuary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

play it in russian with subtitles

idk I think that could work. check out the last of us as an example

Do it on a second run though, most of the incidental dialogue doesn't get subtitled.

• Locked thread