Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sarsapariller posted:

Look you guys Chris Roberts has a lot of ships to poo poo out and his bowels can only move so fast. I look forward to eating his poo poo just like you, but we have to be patient.
Reminds me of that weird lasagna analogy by another Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

quote:

[–]Journeyman_SCCivilian 4 points an hour ago*

With no due respect, I find this to be in incredibly bad taste, for not to say horrible timing.

Hell, the joke would have been bad at any time. Someone posing with Star Citizen gear, a gun in hand, and their head covered is pretty much exactly what this community, company and project does not need right now, or at any time.

And as a matter of fact - we don't need Dark Knights or not Knights at all. Cloud Imperium is plenty able to defend themselves with hard and honest work. This game is being made, it will be released, and it will answer for itself.

There is nothing more to say. But I personally feel I must insist this picture, thread and post is removed without delay. Inappropriate yes, and frankly just stupid. This could cause very real and very serious trouble, regardless intent.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Jst0rm posted:

someone getting a phd in psychology will study this thing in like 5 years.

dibs.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Sarsapariller posted:

Look you guys Chris Roberts has a lot of ships to poo poo out and his bowels can only move so fast. I look forward to eating his poo poo just like you, but we have to be patient.

the problem is Chris is anal-retentive, he gets pleasure from holding in the poo poo like they were bars of gold. Things would improve alot if he realized if it was poo poo, just a heaping load of poo poo.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Do it!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ShredsYouSay posted:

Whoever said tetley was a good tea is tripping.

Twinings earl grey is where it's at.

If you ever have to taste from German teabags you will come to LOVE Tetleys. I always bring back at least 2 of the 240 Packs when I am in the UK. They last about half a year between all the loose tea I drink when I have time to actually enjoy a good cuppa.

And imho early grey is tolerable at best. I am not a fan of bergamotte or whatever you call it.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

How the flying gently caress is it even possible to spend 52.000 bucks on this? I'm not even talking about his obvious breakup with common sense, but shouldn't he run out of stuff to buy like 50.000 ago? I mean, I look at something like LoL, that has been out for what, 5-6 years and completely finances itself through the cash shop and if you'd buy literally everything ever, you'd probably not even spend 2000$
This poo poo isn't even F2P (or F2wait in this case), it has a retail price, but somehow you can still spend a few cars on this poo poo.
This is the most deranged and obvious cash grab I've seen, even if this game ever sees the light of day.

It won't :yarg:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Jst0rm posted:

someone getting a phd in psychology will study this thing in like 5 years.

I'm studying the poo poo out of it now. It is fascinating. So many questions. Is the current community a product of the failed development cycle or was it always going to evolve this way? Is the weird lack of impulse control in the fan base a symptom of the high prices weeding out more level-headed buyers, or would it have cropped up in a cheaper environment? Why are so many of the fans so adamant about not holding CIG accountable for any dates, in what is almost an inversion of the typical fan-developer relationship? Did CIG go out of their way to target and collect the fringe elements or was there something about the project allowing people to project their own vision onto it that drew in the truly mentally unstable? Could a similar project crop up again given the right set of circumstances? Will community expectations change as gameplay actually releases and elements of the project solidify, and is CIG intentionally delaying that moment to keep the imagination-space (and wallets) as open as possible?

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

ShredsYouSay posted:

Derek, did you grow up in the UK? Do you ever feel nostalgic for stovies, broth, or well-fired rolls?

ponce

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, 52k is really quite a sum of money to have spent on a game... it's impossible for me to understand what this guy's thought process is. The game has almost $100 million so he can't be thinking "without me this game won't get made" because overall his contribution is barely noticeable. He can't possibly think that he will get value for money out of this since it's impossible for the game to offer him anything worth that much money, even if he had god mode and infinite money as a result, it still wouldn't be worth that much.

It has to be a sign of mental illness to spend that much on something that doesn't need the money and cannot offer you anything substantial in return. Some desperate attempt to buy something intangible that will magically fix everything that's wrong in your life.

I'm genuinely concerned about what will happen to someone like this when the game fails to meet expectations or fails to even come out.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Xaerael posted:

Yes, manufactured, here, have a pic...

How did we start talking about Skeksis again?

:gary: mmmmMMMMMMMmmmm

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fifty-two thousand?!

That's 10 Saitek Cessna cockpits, and those things are already teetering on the edge of “oh, you're really taking this way too seriously”. :stonklol:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm studying the poo poo out of it now. It is fascinating. So many questions. Is the current community a product of the failed development cycle or was it always going to evolve this way? Is the weird lack of impulse control in the fan base a symptom of the high prices weeding out more level-headed buyers, or would it have cropped up in a cheaper environment? Why are so many of the fans so adamant about not holding CIG accountable for any dates, in what is almost an inversion of the typical fan-developer relationship? Did CIG go out of their way to target and collect the fringe elements or was there something about the project allowing people to project their own vision onto it that drew in the truly mentally unstable? Could a similar project crop up again given the right set of circumstances? Will community expectations change as gameplay actually releases and elements of the project solidify, and is CIG intentionally delaying that moment to keep the imagination-space (and wallets) as open as possible?

looks like you have your abstract ready to go.

Now we need a paper title...

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'm pretty sure you could buy everything on steam, including all of railworks and train simulator, for 52k.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

Fifty-two thousand?!

That's 10 Saitek Cessna cockpits, and those things are already teetering on the edge of “oh, you're really taking this way too seriously”. :stonklol:

I'm pretty sure 52k is enough to get a small plane (ultra light).

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'm pretty sure you could buy everything on steam, including all of railworks and train simulator, for 52k.

these guys have no prospects for families. They are boring and dot drink and eat well. All they do is spend 10k on a new computer every year and save money for jpegs. A guy working 52k a year could afford 52k in jpegs after 4 years.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
How do you spend 52k on Star Citizen? It's simple.

Your homey CR in position, in the kitchen with soda.
I just whipped up a watch, tryin' to get me Omega
Tryin' to stretch out the pants, Sumo wrestler, yessir
Keep the Heckler close, you know them goons'll test ya
But like, fifty-two kay when I'm, I'm through dealin'
Now fifty-two ships come out, now you feel 'em
Now, fifty-two cars roll out, remove ceiling
In case fifty-two broads come out, now you chillin'
With a boss bitch of course S.C. on the sleeve
At the 40/40 club, RtV on the screen
I paid a bunch for the jeans, extra wide, it is clean
No chrome on the wheels, I'm a grown-up for real.

- Fat Jay-Z, Dirt of Your Second Chin

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'm pretty sure 52k is enough to get a small plane (ultra light).

You can get an actual Cessna for that price if you shop around (and don't mind the wings falling off every now and then), but then you're talking about an actual aircraft, not a game. With the Saiteks, you're still stuck in game territory and it's already way too much to spend for anyone sane.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You can sell, or could sell, just about all your space citizen stuff for 1.5x -2x what you paid for it if you got it early couldn't you?

So someone who has spent 30 grand, if he spent it on stuff that later became resellable at a profit, actually has 60 grand tied up in star citizen, minus capital gains taxes or whatever.

52k -> as much as 100k equity tied up in star citizen.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CBA to use psychological terminology, but I think my brother who works in marketing, organizing and logistics work put it best, so allow me to translate his saying to Star Citizen as it explains exactly why people are willing to spend tens of thousands on this bullshit.

The value of everything in this world varies as to who you are:

-To an average person in the street (like my mother, when I tried to explain all this crap to her), spaceship .jpegs aren't worth diddly squat and it boggles her mind how anyone spends so much as a dime on all this.
-To someone like me (who is into video games, but has learned to beware hype by now), spaceship .jpegs are worth something, but only so long as I am reasonably certain that there will be a fun game where I can fly them.
-But to someone like a Star Citizen faithful, especially the kind that defends it on the internet on and on? The mere idea and dream of flying them is worth thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars.

10:1 that when this whole thing burns up in flames, most of these last types (who by that point will have indebted themselves to kingdom come most likely) will still genuinely believe, that even though they'll never get to play Star Citizen...at least they funded a genuine company free from the evil of publishers and gave it their best shot. :shepicide:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

hakimashou posted:

You can sell, or could sell, just about all your space citizen stuff for 1.5x -2x what you paid for it if you got it early couldn't you?

So someone who has spent 30 grand, if he spent it on stuff that later became resellable at a profit, actually has 60 grand tied up in star citizen, minus capital gains taxes or whatever.

That's well over my game budget. That's about half of the Tesla I want.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jst0rm posted:

these guys have no prospects for families. They are boring and dot drink and eat well. All they do is spend 10k on a new computer every year and save money for jpegs. A guy working 52k a year could afford 52k in jpegs after 4 years.

at the same time they could just not spend the money and retire earlier or at the very least sperg about stocks and actual investments and maybe become actual rich.

like, there's nothing worse than dropping that kind of money on SC because there is always something better to spend it on or save it for. like, poo poo, going to the horse races and dropping 52k on a single horse race is probably a better use of that than spending it on SC.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Wuxi posted:

How the flying gently caress is it even possible to spend 52.000 bucks on this? I'm not even talking about his obvious breakup with common sense, but shouldn't he run out of stuff to buy like 50.000 ago? I mean, I look at something like LoL, that has been out for what, 5-6 years and completely finances itself through the cash shop and if you'd buy literally everything ever, you'd probably not even spend 2000$
This poo poo isn't even F2P (or F2wait in this case), it has a retail price, but somehow you can still spend a few cars on this poo poo.
This is the most deranged and obvious cash grab I've seen, even if this game ever sees the light of day.

They said they have thee Completionist accounts which would account for $45k.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

blueberrysmith posted:

Wow, that's a horrifically sad person.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Maybe if you lived in some backwater nation it could.

52K could pay off some cheaper state schools though.

Eh.. Depends on what you strive for. 52k pays off the minivan I bought the wife when our second kid popped out (debt), allows me to throw 20k at a VA secured loan for a house if that's even possible and buys me a 10 year old jeep to go use as a toy and a daily driver for work, replacing my beat to poo poo corolla that is literally zero fun to drive while skipping a new monthly payment.

Houses in eastern N. Carolina aren't very expensive unless you're trying to grab beachfront property. Back off a few miles from the coast and they drop in price considerably. You can pick up a 4 bedroom in the 2500sqft area for about 190k sitting on 3-5 acres if you aren't trying to be in the middle of whatever city is nearby.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
If you need more cats, well

https://youtube.com/watch?v=V15rnpZ_hV4

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

I remember a Star Citizen Redditor that wanted to seek out people with depression and "help" them by introducing them to Star Citizen.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Mirificus posted:

I remember a Star Citizen Redditor that wanted to seek out people with depression and "help" them by introducing them to Star Citizen.

Notacult

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Wuxi posted:

Easy you just keep buying multiples of stuff you already have.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

For that much you could buy a real-deal Mig-21

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

ShredsYouSay posted:

Derek, did you grow up in the UK? Do you ever feel nostalgic for stovies, broth, or well-fired rolls?

Just started taking flat tummy tea and the morning brew is pretty tasty. I will take the evening tea later today. It's super over priced but if I get a flat tummy it will be totally worth it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I just want to point out that for 16,500 euros, you can buy a ticket for a MIG-29 and go into the stratosphere. You wont need to pretend with a jpeg, you can actually go up there.

http://www.flymigsokol.com/flights/space_program

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

For truly He is His brother's keeper.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

LowellDND posted:

I just want to point out that for 16,500 euros, you can buy a ticket for a MIG-29 and go into the stratosphere. You wont need to pretend with a jpeg, you can actually go up there.

http://www.flymigsokol.com/flights/space_program

Holy poo poo, now that seriously sounds amazing.

Unlike Star Citizen.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

hakimashou posted:

That only applies to "limited edition" jpegs. Obviously there's no reason to buy a jpeg on the grey market for more than it would cost straight from CIG. And you can bet that CIG will put them on sale again as a last ditch effort to raise money.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

I've got a house in France and in the village there is a shop called 'British Shop' and in there they have all the things like Salad Cream, Bovril, Spotted Dick, you name it, the last time I was there a bottle of Salad Cream was 12 Euros ha ha

What village would that be?

Also, did they have Marmite, Ovaltine or those addictive Roundtree sweet pastilles (OMG!! those things are made by the devil himself!)?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

CrazyLoon posted:

Holy poo poo, now that seriously sounds amazing.

Unlike Star Citizen.

Right? I seriously want to save up for a decade or two and get it for my hypothetical kids :3:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

McGiggins posted:

Edit: Derek-sama-rama, what is your opinion on Space Engineers? They claim to be the first people to do planets properly in space games ever.

As a space games yourself, is this true?

It's a fun time-waster; but those claims are entirely without merit. :)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

For that much you could buy a real-deal Mig-21
The going rate looks to be around $150,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Calling it now. PU will not come out in November. Go ahead Sandi, prove me wrong. Whip your team into a frenzy, crush what little spirit they have left, so that you can be right. I'm sure whatever CIG releases will totally be ready for release.

As I posted a few weeks back, my sources tell me that it probably will, if Chris has his way. This despite the fact that none of it is "production" ready. If they DO release "something", two things to remember related to the quality:

social/planetside module
buggies in a hangar

The problem they're going to be faced with, is going to be the exodus of key people after the holidays die down. Just wait.

• Locked thread