Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Hey I'm sure you guys get this a lot but are those cheap Roku TVs on amazon decent? I'm just looking for a decent smart TV with WiFi for my kid's room for Hulu and Netflix.

But if you guys could recommend something better for <400 I'd really appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
They're fine, especially for a kids room. However you might get more longevity (and better performance on the UI side of things) by getting the best $350 Vizio you can find and a $50 separate Roku 3. That way your hardware isn't married into the TV for future upgrades.

But you're not gonna go wrong getting one.

Also WalMart I think is having a black friday deal that is a a 32" Roku TV for $125 that will also be available online (but will probably go super fast).

https://blackfriday.com/stores/walmart/ads/black-friday/page-1

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
UN75JU641DFXZA
I can't find any info about this tv that Sam's is selling. The info on the Sam's site is super sparse.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/75-uhd-smart-120hz-3-hdmi-wifi/prod19540478.ip?navAction=push

Samsung's site doesn't come up with anything for the number. My dad will actually be in town visiting for Thanksgiving and has a Sam's card, so I'm trying to decide if this is actually a good tv or not.

Price per inch at 4k is good, but just wondering what all has been cut down compared to the TV every where else.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

veedubfreak posted:

UN75JU641DFXZA
I can't find any info about this tv that Sam's is selling. The info on the Sam's site is super sparse.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/75-uhd-smart-120hz-3-hdmi-wifi/prod19540478.ip?navAction=push

Samsung's site doesn't come up with anything for the number. My dad will actually be in town visiting for Thanksgiving and has a Sam's card, so I'm trying to decide if this is actually a good tv or not.

Price per inch at 4k is good, but just wondering what all has been cut down compared to the TV every where else.

It's probably a cut down version of the samsung un75ju6400.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

BonoMan posted:

However you might get more longevity (and better performance on the UI side of things) by getting the best $350 Vizio you can find and a $50 separate Roku 3. That way your hardware isn't married into the TV for future upgrades.

I'm having this issue, as I never really shopped for HTPC or streaming stuff; I just connect my PC directly to my TV. Now that I'm at my mother's, her laptop has died. She had been using it to access my HDD and the media on it, which is in varying formats. She also wants to be able to access a browser. And she needs a new TV, badly. So I'm trying to fix all this.

So my TV is a good 42" Vizio, but no smart TV stuff or even USB. All these devices are completely foreign to me, oddly enough.I know someone who has a TV that has internet connectivity and will play many things off of an external HDD. I just don't need to be limited to streaming services (internet is pretty terrible here), or to merely stream my desktop to her TV.

I was looking at the new Fire TV and stick, and they seem like much cheaper versions of the barebones HTPC kits, just running their proprietary Android. I posted this here because all of this is in separate threads, and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Will a TV with "Media 2.0" and a built in browser do all this fine? Most of these devices don't seem to list whether they've ability to do what I'm trying to do, or I don't know the buzzword.

HDTV thread, can you help me narrow down the best options? I have a limited budget of $300, but would prefer not to just buy a $150 used laptop that's likely to crap out sooner than later and a $100 black Friday TV. Remote for most things is a big plus.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 12, 2015

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If you can bump the budget up to $350, and wait until Black Friday, Walmart will have a 55" HDTV by TCL with a built-in Roku.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Cool! Should I have to worry about compression format, or size/bitrate? VLC on her old laptop couldn't cut some of the larger HD files, and my buddy's TV needed specific formats.

So is this something most of the sticks/set top boxes/TVs do, but don't really list as a feature? Or I just didn't see it/know what to look for?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jon Do posted:

Cool! Should I have to worry about compression format, or size/bitrate? VLC on her old laptop couldn't cut some of the larger HD files, and my buddy's TV needed specific formats.

So is this something most of the sticks/set top boxes/TVs do, but don't really list as a feature? Or I just didn't see it/know what to look for?

There are plenty of smart TVs, but this is the first time I've seen one with the Roku name attached. Bottom left corner: https://blackfriday.com/stores/walmart/ads/black-friday/page-3

Not sure how it will do with your files, I've never used a Roku before.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Wilford Cutlery posted:

If you can bump the budget up to $350, and wait until Black Friday, Walmart will have a 55" HDTV by TCL with a built-in Roku.

:wow:

55 inches might be too big for my tiny condo though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

:wow:

55 inches might be too big for my tiny condo though.

No such thing as too big when it comes to a TV.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

veedubfreak posted:

No such thing as too big when it comes to a TV.

People always say this, and when I got my 70" I thought that would break this rule. It didn't break this rule. It did take a lot longer to get use to, but now it's just a normal TV to me and bigger would be rad. gently caress.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ddogflex posted:

People always say this, and when I got my 70" I thought that would break this rule. It didn't break this rule. It did take a lot longer to get use to, but now it's just a normal TV to me and bigger would be rad. gently caress.

I've had something similar happen to me with cell phones. Every time I got a new cell phone I was like "whoa this is pretty big, I don't think I could handle any bigger." Then in a few months I get used to it. I honestly thought I couldn't handle the Nexus 6, but then I got used to it and now it feels like a normal phone to me.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Thanks for the advice. If I go with that Sharp, I'd need to get a Roku or something similar to stream Netflix or YouTube, right?

Slowhanded posted:

at that budget and this time of year

For what it's worth, I'm absolutely not in a hurry, and don't mind waiting a few months until I can put some more money towards it. Would it be a better idea to do this?

Oh, and I also have a coupon for 10% off any one item at Best Buy, good now through 11/24, and all of December.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My Sony x810c came in (55 inch). Finally got it set up.

What a great TV. Played some Bloodborne on it and it looked loving gorgeous. Now I'm watching Rangers Senators and the picture is really crisp, no lag. My source is TWC here in NYC which isn't the greatest but MSG looks great.

I still need to fiddle around with setting but so far so good. Now to get some bookshelfs and a receiver!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I want to be able to have my VCR and DVD player stream my kids shows to TVs around the house without a bazillion wires everywhere, and without necessarily relying on the home Ethernet wiring that I'm hoping to put in. I've googled and seen a few different wireless standards, SMART TVs, and other things ice never bought and know little about. I don't even own a Blu-ray player.

How can I make this happen? I'm cool with buying something new, but don't need a home entertainment system to make my neighbors weep with envy or anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex server with whatever cheap clients you want (rokus or whatever) attached to each tv? Easier to have a library that can poo poo out whatever you want to wherever you want, whenever.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Plex server with whatever cheap clients you want (rokus or whatever) attached to each tv? Easier to have a library that can poo poo out whatever you want to wherever you want, whenever.
Thanks. Is a Plex server an HTPC with Plez software?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Essentially, it doesn't have to be any specific kind of computer - as long as it meets the requirements for Plex Media Server it'll be fine. Mines just a core2duo machine with a bunch of hard disks hanging off it to store media, but a more powerful machine can transcode multiple streams at once if people want to watch different things in different rooms (or even outside the house)

There's a Plex thread here that's generally pretty good at answering specific questions.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Essentially, it doesn't have to be any specific kind of computer - as long as it meets the requirements for Plex Media Server it'll be fine. Mines just a core2duo machine with a bunch of hard disks hanging off it to store media, but a more powerful machine can transcode multiple streams at once if people want to watch different things in different rooms (or even outside the house)

There's a Plex thread here that's generally pretty good at answering specific questions.

Thanks: I'll hit that up. I'll probably buy a decent television after we move, so I'm sure ill be back with more dumb questions. :v:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
If you bought a Vizio TV or plan to buy one this Black Friday, you should know that all of their smart TVs track every single thing you watch, tie it to your IP address, and sell it to advertisers.

http://www.propublica.org/article/own-a-vizio-smart-tv-its-watching-you

ProPublica posted:

Vizio’s technology works by analyzing snippets of the shows you’re watching, whether on traditional television or streaming Internet services such as Netflix. Vizio determines the date, time, channel of programs — as well as whether you watched them live or recorded. The viewing patterns are then connected your IP address - the Internet address that can be used to identify every device in a home, from your TV to a phone.

IP addresses can increasingly be linked to individuals. Data broker Experian, for instance, offers a “data enrichment” service that provide “hundreds of attributes” such as age, profession and “wealth indicators” tied to a particular IP address.

Vizio recently updated its privacy policy to say it has begun providing data about customers’ viewing habits to companies that “may combine this information with other information about devices associated with that IP address.” The company does not promise to encrypt IP addresses before sharing them.

You can opt out; just be sure it's something you do as soon as you set it up.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ugh, I swear when I get a new TV I'm going to run a firmware update then delete my wifi credentials from it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I keep thinking about buying a bigger TV and then realize I don't need one. :(

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can anyone comment on the motion blur on the Vizio M60-C3, especially when gaming? The TV looks solid and seems like it will have some pretty sweet Black Friday deals, but some of the reviews I've read said it isn't good for gaming due to motion blur.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
X810c update: spent the whole day watching football on it. Picture is loving awesome.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I saw that the Samsung 55" js8500 went on sale and figured this is as good as it will be for Black Friday and pulled the trigger. Coming from a 40" 2008 Panasonic plasma 720p set.

It's like I'm in the future. The TV is insane. I definitely feel like it's as big of a jump as from SD to 720p going from 720p to 4k UHD. Also I guess I don't need a roku anymore since that's all built into the tv. Only spent an hour watching some UltraHD netflix and calibrating but I'm pretty impressed.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Is TCL an okay brand? Fry's has a TCL 48" 1080p with built-in Roku for $330 with promo code.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zack Ater posted:

Is TCL an okay brand? Fry's has a TCL 48" 1080p with built-in Roku for $330 with promo code.

Totally serviceable if you're just looking for a no frills display. You're not going to get something that has a reference display that you're gonna use to show your 1080ps off to your friends, but if you're looking for a bedroom TV or apartment TV or whatever it's totally fine.

I have a 42" one that I got way back in the day for $179 through that Amazon split second sale and it's still going strong as our bedroom TV.

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this set:

http://www.sears.com/rca-60inch-class-1080p-120hz-led-hdtv-led60b55r120q/p-05771294000P

1080p and the size are probably my only two deciding factors, but I don't know much about brands and even less about RCA in particular. Is this is a good purchase or is there something better I can get on BF?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

All RCA does is put their badge on the TV. What you actually get may or may not be good.

2015 Black Friday HDTV Megathread

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Totally serviceable if you're just looking for a no frills display. You're not going to get something that has a reference display that you're gonna use to show your 1080ps off to your friends, but if you're looking for a bedroom TV or apartment TV or whatever it's totally fine.

I have a 42" one that I got way back in the day for $179 through that Amazon split second sale and it's still going strong as our bedroom TV.

Thanks for the reply! Sadly, I'm not anywhere near a Fry's, and I was going to ask my dad to grab one for me, since he lives near one and I'm seeing him at Thanksgiving, but turns out he's taking a longer Thanksgiving vacation than I thought. He left this morning. :negative:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Hmm. 3k for the Sony 75 4k or 2400 for the Samsung 75 4k that has iffy stats due to being a Sam's special. I think I'll probably end up going for the one from best buy since I'll get an extra 5% back as rewards and they'll deliver/haul off the ancient CRT.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Are the various Vizio 4k tv's decent? My girlfriend is getting a pretty large Christmas bonus this year and put me in charge of hunting down a new living room tv. I see Best Buy has the 50" sharp Aquos 4k for 449$, is that one any good?

Edit: I'm going to put a "soft limit" of 650-700$ on this tv, If that helps for suggestions

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 17, 2015

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I also was looking at the Vizio 4k tvs but had a more specific question.

The Wirecutter recommends the 60" over the 50" because the 60" version has a 120hz refresh rate. Is there any reason this actually matters? The HDMI inputs only supports 30 and 60 fps 4k content. Does a higher refresh rate help improve the quality in any other way or is it only useful if I wanted to hook up my gaming PC and run Counter Strike at 1080p at 120fps?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

THF13 posted:

I also was looking at the Vizio 4k tvs but had a more specific question.

The Wirecutter recommends the 60" over the 50" because the 60" version has a 120hz refresh rate. Is there any reason this actually matters? The HDMI inputs only supports 30 and 60 fps 4k content. Does a higher refresh rate help improve the quality in any other way or is it only useful if I wanted to hook up my gaming PC and run Counter Strike at 1080p at 120fps?

Might display motion content better. Also, I guess if you're watching movies it should handle framerates better since it could display every frame five times instead of doing 3:2 pulldowns?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
If you watch a lot of movies, you may notice egregious judder on 60hz TVs with bad 3:2 pulldown algorithms (particularly on wide pans and fast motion). Either you pay for a TV that has a good pulldown or go down the simpler path of buying a TV that has a refresh rate divisible by 24 (i.e. 120hz).

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My tv started exhibiting some problematic behavior a little over a month ago. It's a 43" Samsung Plasma that's about two years old. Recently I've been noticing whenever there's a stark white or any bright color on screen, there is sometimes a ghost image of it that extends to the right or left. I know that's a terrible description, so I'm including a screenshot.

At first I thought it was burn-in, but it moves with the picture. It's practically impossible to see in any live action footage, but very apparent if I watch anything with bright, simple colors like the AppleTV menu, playing Super Mario Maker, or watching animation like Futurama or South Park.

In the attached picture, you can see how the outline of the white box extends off to the left. Any ideas what this is, and if I can expect it to get worse?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What you are describing is line bleed and is pretty drat common on plasmas. My 55ST50 showed it all the time on things like cartoons.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Plasmas are notably finnicky and prone to issues from a wide variety of vectors. This could be anything from a slightly loose ribbon cable, faulty logic board, or broken display. If you're fine with opening up your TV (I'm assuming your TV's past its warranty period), consult the repair manual (not the user manual) for your particular television and work out what may be wrong from the booklet's troubleshooting matrices. Generally anything but the display is not a incredibly expensive fix (main logic boards, generally the most expensive board to replace, can range from $50-100, depending on the age, demand for parts, and popularity of the particular model). If it's indeed the display, your TV is pretty much toast and it's time to sell as-is on craigslist or part it out on eBay if you can't ignore the underlying issue. If this sounds like too much work, call a technician and have them check on it. The price will (obviously) be dramatically higher than if you did it yourself, however, and you might be forking over a benjamin to tell you that it's a really expensive space heater.

e: Looking closer at your problems, it's more than likely a panel issue in this case. Try to ignore it if you're not looking to shop around for a new TV, as it's not worthwhile to repair.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 18, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Slowhanded posted:

e: Looking closer at your problems, it's more than likely a panel issue in this case. Try to ignore it if you're not looking to shop around for a new TV, as it's not worthwhile to repair.

That's the plan. Thanks for the info! I was hoping to get at least another year out of this TV while I wait for prices on the 1080p or 4K OLEDs to drop another level. Sounds like I should be able to do that, as long as this issue doesn't get any more extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I'm trying out the 3D of my Samsung TV with Samsung shutter glasses, so a fairly standard affair.

In general it is fine, but now I noticed that objects that are very much in the front (subtitles as well) have the ghosting effect where you can see both halves of the image offset against another. :v:

I went into the settings of my TV, the only one I can change is "3D perspective" - if I set this to -1, the object in the front is sharp again. However, I noticed that the pillar in the background only is really sharp if I set this slider to +3.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this expected? Since the TV seems to autodetect which kind of mode (Left/Right etc) is needed, I can't change these.

Also, the Samsung guide lists 2-6 meters as the viewing distance. I'm at 2 meters, maybe 1.9 - I don't think I'm too close, and moving backwards doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any thoughts on this?