Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3t4wtg/looking_to_higher_a_modder_for_a_quick_job_payout/cx345pg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

johnsonrod posted:

I watched it for 10 minutes and he didn't speak once. All the other guys blabbed on about "SYSTEMIC CONTENT IN ARK" while the Ark guy typed away not paying attention.

The Q&A session where he was required to talk was terrible too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So what's the deal with collecting unfertilized eggs for kibble? Is it true dinos only have a chance to lay an egg when they come out of stasis, and not if you sit there watching them?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

So what's the deal with collecting unfertilized eggs for kibble? Is it true dinos only have a chance to lay an egg when they come out of stasis, and not if you sit there watching them?

No longer true, just walk around about ever 5 minutes looking for eggs and you will find them now.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Clinton1011 posted:

No longer true, just walk around about ever 5 minutes looking for eggs and you will find them now.

Seems to me that earning xp/making stuff stimulates egg production. So if you're crafting in your base then it's worth doing an occasional tour to collect eggs. Course, it could be just the "watched pot" thing - doing busywork may just make it seem like there's more egg production because you're not checking so often and you're not "waiting" for eggs.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Clinton1011 posted:

Interesting, thanks. Have a decent size pen with males and females near my base and I rarely see eggs. Maybe it is because they are on the ground and not a foundation? I know there was an issue with eggs falling through the floor. Will have to build a foundation and see if that helps any.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 18, 2015

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

If I hang out for 5 minutes by my dodo ramp they usually crap out 10 eggs or so

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Interesting, thanks. Have a decent size pen with males and females near my base and I rarely see eggs. Maybe it is because they are on the ground and not a foundation? I know there was an issue with eggs falling through the floor. Will have to build a foundation and see if that helps any.

I believe dinos in stasis won't lay eggs so if the pen is outside of render distance for dinos they won't lay any. I keep all my dinos next to my crafting area to not only get them xp but to also keep them close for egg laying.

I also have my dinos on the ground. I find that eggs drop through buildings more often than the ground. I get eggs from my aviary on the ground like 100 feet below it all the time.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
I'm pretty certain dinos will not passively get xp from you crafting near by. The only thing I've seen work in that regard is if another person is mounted on the Dino while you are crafting then they will they both get some xp.

In terms of eggs, there won't be any dropping unless someone is within render distance and there's some small chance on some time interval ( I've seen some people saying ~15min or so but its kinda hard to test). Otherwise nothing else seems to have an effect on the egg laying rate so you're best off getting a single male and as many females as you can find if you want a bunch of eggs.

ComradeBigT fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 18, 2015

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
You should go test that to see how it works, my dinos get levels all the time just from standing around. These are dinos that can't even be rode like dilos and dodos. They are also not out killing things and I don't kill things near my base.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Clinton1011 posted:

You should go test that to see how it works, my dinos get levels all the time just from standing around. These are dinos that can't even be rode like dilos and dodos. They are also not out killing things and I don't kill things near my base.

Yeah, he's not saying passive xp gain isn't a thing. He's saying that they don't get exp specifically from you crafting or killing nearby if they're not being ridden by a player. You can watch their xp bars while you craft to confirm this. However, all dinos will get a passive xp gain regardless of whatever activities are taking place nearby.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Inkel posted:

Yeah, he's not saying passive xp gain isn't a thing. He's saying that they don't get exp specifically from you crafting or killing nearby if they're not being ridden by a player. You can watch their xp bars while you craft to confirm this. However, all dinos will get a passive xp gain regardless of whatever activities are taking place nearby.

As far as I know, dinos receive tribe xp, same as (human) tribe members. There's an exception for ridden dinos and their riders, but nearby tribe dinos should get xp from general xp-gaining activities.

I'm actually going to have to actively test this now to make sure, but...our offsite water pen dinos simply don't level up as quickly as the dinos that we have in-base.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Clinton1011 posted:

I also have my dinos on the ground. I find that eggs drop through buildings more often than the ground. I get eggs from my aviary on the ground like 100 feet below it all the time.

It almost seems to me like eggs can fall under whatever the first layer of ground is, similar to what you'd see in Gamebyro games. I had a dino pen at one point on top of my house and I noticed eggs inside frequently. I think I am going to build something that has the dinos on the second floor. Unfortunately, I am sure that will make it stand out even more. I guess we'll see.

While we're on the topic, the progression of kibble makes no sense at all. Why do I need Anklyo eggs for Carno Kibble, then Carno Eggs for Trike Kibble? That makes no sense at all. Definitely not optimized for new people leveling up.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So the patch notes had some slight updates if you guys missed them.

Coming in 224:
- +3 Max Survivor Level, +3 Max Dino Level
- Raised Official Server Max Structure & Max Tamed Dino Limits by 20%

Meanwhile under A little Further Out:
- Aquatic and Amphibious Mating/Lifecycles

Also, digest 22 arrived. Highlights:
- Seagull coming in december. fish meat coming at the same time.
- Someone suggested flinging large poop clumps with the catapult which got a "hmm..." response
- bosses will have scalability in difficulty with higher difficulty netting better blueprints
- Industrial Oven (not forge) coming next week with the turkey trial event patch
- tek tier includes teleporters, shield generators, plasma rifles, and cloaking devices
- tek will use a new material flatly called element
- priority is on the announced boss arena and cave stuff. Ocean expansion will appear early 2016
- Creature AI coming in decemeber as well. This includes specialized abilities for the launch dinos
- Version 234 (??? Typo for 224?) will allow you to demolish rafts. Either ones you own or ones that have cycled through the claim timer
- dodorex will be a 1 day time spawn for turkey event instead of few hours it was for halloween event
- devs forgot about the perch idea mentioned previous, call it a neat idea and say they'll work on it.. again
- devs forgot about leash post suggested once before and also call it a neat idea
- anglergel will have a randomized color based on the fish soon. Because inventory space isn't a limiting factor
- underwater drops are coming eventually. IE, glowing treasure chests

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

While we're on the topic, the progression of kibble makes no sense at all. Why do I need Anklyo eggs for Carno Kibble, then Carno Eggs for Trike Kibble? That makes no sense at all. Definitely not optimized for new people leveling up.

It seems that it's simply the order in which dinos are introduced into the game that drives the kibble mechanic. It's kinda the same with the level requirements of new engrams - they appear to be driven by where the gaps are rather than what makes sense from a logic/gameplay perspective. I would imagine that everything will be rejigged at some point before actual release.

But yes, it's irritating that it's relatively trivial to efficiently tame a high level rex but really quite difficult to do the same for a trike or a stego.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Juffo you should link what you are summarizing :colbert:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/485622866434872485/

They also added a little more descriptive text for earlier patch stuff @ http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/594820656447032287/ :
- Custom RP-oriented Recipe/Cooking System (including Skill-Based results) -- finally, you can now create your own unique recipes for S### Burgers)!
- Server Admin Logs (including RCON support) and Tribe Admin Logs (which can also act as effective "offline event" logs even for solo players!!!! :)

edit: They added more
- New Creature: Compsognathus! Time to form your own Compy gang :)
- Owned or Claimable Rafts can now be "Demolished", and destroyed Rafts now sink to the ocean floor

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 19, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Yeah, sorry on the lack of link, but oh well.

As for the compy, looks like it'll be a passive tame. Dodo kibble perhaps? Penguin kibble seems more likely I suppose since they already have so much riding on the dodo kibble already. I'm excited that rafts will finally sink when destroyed instead of resetting to normal and just sit there on the water for a bit.

Edit: Here it comes! You knew it was coming because the notes were updating. Eta is tagged for noon est.

Full notes as of 6:29am est:

quote:

Upcoming Version: v224, ETA: Nov 20 Noonish EST!
- Custom RP-oriented Recipe/Cooking System (including Skill-Based results) -- finally, you can now create your own unique recipes for S### Burgers)!
- New Creature: Oviraptor! Gotta get those eggs :)
- New Creature: Compsognathus! Time to form your own Compy gang :)
- New Structures: Rocket Turret, Sea Mine, Wall Lamps!
- New 'Weapon': Magnifying Glass!
- Server Admin Logs (including RCON support) and Tribe Admin Logs (which can also act as effective "offline event" logs even for solo players!!!!)
- +3 Max Survivor Level, +3 Max Dino Level
- Raised Official Server Max Structure & Max Tamed Dino Limits by 20%
- Owned or Claimable Rafts can now be "Demolished", and destroyed Rafts now sink to the ocean floor
- bPassiveDefensesDamageRiderlessDinos Server Game option to allow spike walls to damage wild/riderless Dinos
- Massively improved game loading & streaming times (reducing hitches) by using "seek free" packages. Also a Garbage Collector improvement to reduce game stalls/hitches
- Fixed underwater ice cave that was deleting Dinos
- Fixed Dino walking-backwards movement animations
- Improved and optimized IK on most Dinos
- Improved Dino navigation logic to better dynamically navigate around other Dinos
[MORE NOTES TO COME]

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 20, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Who likes compys??

The hype train has started. As you can tell, they missed their first eta. New eta is set for 7pm.

Hype train for compys has started though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ee-zWpwqzI

quote:

Compy Gang

1 Compy = Hey there friendly cute thing
2 Compies = Oh you've brought a friend have you... a little nervous....
3 Compies = Hmm now you're getting kinda mean...
4 Compies = GET AWAY NOW
5 Compies = OMG RUN!
6+ Compies = Compacolypse!!!!!!!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Weird that there's a spotlight for the compy but not the oviraptor (unless I totally missed it).

edit: oh lord
http://imgur.com/a/9xJqW

Colapops fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 21, 2015

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
A buddy of mine and I want to go around in one of the PvP Official Servers and just be asses to everyone. We're like to not have any type of real base, but more like ad-hoc bases that we put up. Basically nomadic terrorists. Any of you have any success with this? Any tips?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

use clubs, and...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This whole patching on Friday night thing blows.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

rentilius posted:

A buddy of mine and I want to go around in one of the PvP Official Servers and just be asses to everyone. We're like to not have any type of real base, but more like ad-hoc bases that we put up. Basically nomadic terrorists. Any of you have any success with this? Any tips?
get clubs, stalk people while they are farming materials or something, take their stuff

build rafts and/or 1x1 respawn shacks across the island

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

No oviraptor in this update. :(

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
I did a little cursory testing of the "skill based" cooking system. It does not seem very skill based from what I tested. All the ingredients seem to have a set health, hunger, and stam attribute that gets added to a total value for the food based on quantity. You can add a max of 8 stacks of any food related thing (Including poop) in the recipe and cook away. For example I tested a food item that was only raw meat, 8 full stacks for a total of 160. Final food stats were just 1+160 times the base values (for raw meat 0.15, 0.11, and 0.01 for hunger, hp, and stam) which was just 25 hunger, 18.6 hp and 2.6 stam.

To be honest the 160 raw meat recipe seems to be one of the only things that's a real benefit over just eating the materials because its faster then cooking and there's no health loss eating it in this form. There's always the chance that some very specific combinations have bonuses or something but otherwise its pretty straight forward from what I can tell.

Other then that element of the system, overall its pretty cool. You can set a custom colored little icon for the recipe item, and it does not label the ingredients on the final item so I guess you can feed people poop shakes and burgers that give food and health.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fridge out in the wild full of poop shakes that don't heal you. :frog:

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

Thronde posted:

Fridge out in the wild full of poop shakes that don't heal you. :frog:

Fun fact, poop based foods actually do heal! :nexus:

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

I did some further testing and good news, crafting speed now has a purpose! :shepicide:

It affects the bonus you get from any ingredient in the cooking system. So if meat gives 0.2 food/health, 1000% crafting speed will make it 2 food/health. At 900% crafting you can get food that gives you 100 health/stam/food with 25 dodo eggs. Kibble doesn't seem to be as good since it gives really low health but high food.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

Tairon posted:

I did some further testing and good news, crafting speed now has a purpose! :shepicide:

It affects the bonus you get from any ingredient in the cooking system. So if meat gives 0.2 food/health, 1000% crafting speed will make it 2 food/health. At 900% crafting you can get food that gives you 100 health/stam/food with 25 dodo eggs. Kibble doesn't seem to be as good since it gives really low health but high food.

Is that bonus applied in crafting the recipe? If that's the case you can just use a mindwipe to max crafting speed, make all the good recipes you want then mindwipe back to a useful build. Regardless this is a pretty awful way to make crafting speed useful.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Did they add the Industrial Oven yet?

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Jackard posted:

Did they add the Industrial Oven yet?

supposedly it's coming next week with the Turkey Trial holiday update.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
So... I recently started to try and make a base in this game. Was going fine until they released the giganto... I had a Ranger tower style base with spike walls and one guy with a giganto killed it all. So, no more bases in the pvp servers for me I guess. At least before they needed to spend a little resources on explosives to break stone which deterred them a little.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

PVP is pretty broken right now unless

a. you are part of a huge competent tribe
b. you like guerrilla warfare
c. you are playing on a private server with untameable or banned Gigas

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Any server suggestions?

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Any server suggestions?

Server's without Chinese overlords is a good start.

Edit - For some context. Just got wiped off a server after an epic 3 week battle with the Taiwan tribe there. Then me and my tribe came to a new server and the dominate tribe's are having firework parties every week. It truly is a different experience server to server.

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 21, 2015

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Yeah 82 was kinda deserted and the people who were left were spergs

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Speaking of spergs, breeders might be interested in this:

https://github.com/cadon/ARKStatsExtractor/releases/tag/v0.7

It isn't exactly an extractor. Just give it the stats including level and xp. It'll throw at you all stat point combinations. Then you filter out things like oxy and food to get a rough estimate on where the points went.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

johnsonrod posted:

Then me and my tribe came to a new server and the dominate tribe's are having firework parties every week.

Saw one of these tonight.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

Saw one of these tonight.

Was it on carno Island started by a guy called Bane by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah.