Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Continuing my Viking saga, I made a mistake earlier. Harald was 52, not 42. I thought gently caress it, Harald will be the Fylkir. It took 14 years of terrorizing the British isles, with the village churches in Ireland especially being a continuous string of bonfires. At age 68, Harald set the ~35th church on fire (in the end, I had to redouble my efforts because the bonuses started to decay) and was proclaimed the viking pope. Phew.

edit: looks like I won't be able to get seniority or primogeniture in Harald's lifetime due to low crown authority. Should I switch to gavelkind from elective gavelkind?

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

DStecks posted:

Yeah but then you rob your liege of the warscore, so the war goes on 2-3 times as long while they slowly mop up stragglers.

poo poo, seriously? I guess you could help out then by just lifting sieges and stuff. What if you attached your forces to one of your liege's armies?

e:f,b

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

gfanikf posted:

Sigh I just want a Early Middle Ages period ...and also a Full Roman Empire DLC.

I want CK2 gameplay in EU4's timeline, but that's probably not going to happen either. :smith:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Has there been any talk about a new patch or expansion?

GunnerJ posted:

I want CK2 gameplay in EU4's timeline, but that's probably not going to happen either. :smith:

The CK-EU marriage is so obvious, I'm sure we'll see a game in that style somewhere down the line.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Trogdos! posted:

Continuing my Viking saga, I made a mistake earlier. Harald was 52, not 42. I thought gently caress it, Harald will be the Fylkir. It took 14 years of terrorizing the British isles, with the village churches in Ireland especially being a continuous string of bonfires. At age 68, Harald set the ~35th church on fire (in the end, I had to redouble my efforts because the bonuses started to decay) and was proclaimed the viking pope. Phew.

edit: looks like I won't be able to get seniority or primogeniture in Harald's lifetime due to low crown authority. Should I switch to gavelkind from elective gavelkind?

If you have two sons, switch to ultimogeniture, so at least all of your titles will be inherited by one character. But it's best to make sure you only have one son for characters that may die with gavelkind succession. You can do this by killing or divorcing your wife as soon as she has her first son, or by using the seduction focus and acknowledging bastard sons as yours, then legitimizing the one you want as your heir. Then gavelkind works fine as a succession, so there's no hurry to get switched.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

GunnerJ posted:

CK2's gameplay just doesn't make as much sense at any other period in history except within specific countries. The end of the Hundred Years' War was a good place to terminate the one-size-fits-all dynastic politicking model, although I might have picked the end of the War of the Roses or maybe the Commonwealth of England.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can somebody help me out? I have imperial administration and absolute crown law in my empire, but I handed out a viceroyalty to Ireland, and they immediately went on a county conquest. The Kingdom of Ireland had absolute law as well, and they're still my vassal. Why can they declare war? Do I need to actually grant the kingdom rather than give it over as a viceroyalty for the vassals can't wage war rule to work? The whole purpose of doing this was to repaint the map the way I wanted, not to have my AI vassals conquering random poo poo and screwing up my borders.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Is Iceland de-jure within your empire? IIRC the restriction from Absolute CA only applies to de jure vassals.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dallan Invictus posted:

Is Iceland de-jure within your empire? IIRC the restriction from Absolute CA only applies to de jure vassals.

Ireland, and no I'm the Byzantines. wtf, it says vassals can't wage war, not de jure vassals can't wage war. I've never had a duke try and start their own war since I got absolute. It only started as soon as he got the viceroyalty, and he already had all of Ireland vassalized before I gave him the kingdom, so I don't think it's a troop count kind of thing. If you're right, what, I have to conquer a kingdom, wait 100 years for it to become de jure while keeping the vassals there too weak to wage war, and then I can hand off a viceroyalty? That sounds really stupid.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 15, 2015

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Since the Kingdom of Ireland has absolute CA then while dude was still a duke he couldn't declare war. CA-based restrictions in general only apply to de jure vassals of the title that has that level of CA.

Once Ireland drifts to you (do non-adjacent titles drift in vanilla? I know that's a defines.lua option) then a viceroy you put in charge there will behave.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

These are the rules for which crown law applies in a county in order of highest to lowest priority:

The de jure kingdom's crown laws inside its de facto realm.
The de jure empire's crown laws inside its de facto realm.
The de facto top liege's crown laws if the de jure liege title is held by a character of a different religion.
The de facto top liege's primary title's crown laws if no de jure liege title exists.
The de jure kingdom's crown laws in the realm of an independent duke or count.
No crown laws apply, if its de jure kingdom and empire do not exist and its top liege is a duke or count.

This looks to me like King level vassals can never be told not to wage war, because a kingdoms crown law will never have absolute crown law that affects the King, and it always takes precedent.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just did a test where I gave the kingdom of Greece to someone within Greece as the Byzantines, and in the de jure map mode, it said the crown laws of the Byzantine Empire applied to the Greek King. So yeah, I guess it is a de jure thing. And yes, Ireland is drifting. I'll just have to keep my king to be in Ireland a duke for 100 years I guess.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Volkerball posted:

This looks to me like King level vassals can never be told not to wage war, because a kingdoms crown law will never have absolute crown law that affects the King, and it always takes precedent.

Note the: "inside its de facto realm." bit. The way I understand this is that, so long as Ireland's de jure counties are not under the viceroy, he is allowed to keep annexing them. But only when he has the whole of Ireland does that exhaust itself.

So as long as the de jure Ireland territory isn't under him...yea, he'll keep warring. But once he's done, that's it for them the way I reckon. Or is he going after counties that are not de jure Ireland perhaps?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLoon posted:

Note the: "inside its de facto realm." bit. The way I understand this is that, so long as Ireland's de jure counties are not under the viceroy, he is allowed to keep annexing them. But only when he has the whole of Ireland does that exhaust itself.

So as long as the de jure Ireland territory isn't under him...yea, he'll keep warring. But once he's done, that's it for them the way I reckon. Or is he going after counties that are not de jure Ireland perhaps?

Yeah, I gave him 100% of de jure Ireland, but he tried go for a county conquest in Wales, and then again in Scotland after I save scummed. When he was the King, in the de jure map mode, when I hovered over his capital of Dublin, it said that the Kingdom of Ireland was the active crown law. When I killed him and took back his viceroyalty, it said the active crown law was the Byzantine Empire. So any kingdom that is not within your de jure empire will revert to the kingdoms crown law if the kingdom title is a vassal.

Only thing that sucks now is that the kingdom of Ireland doesn't recognize born in the purple and despots, so I just destroyed it. Hopefully it won't be recreated, but if so, w/e. I'll switch to Seniority or something so I don't have titles bouncing all over the place while I'm waiting out the de jure drift.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Huh...welp, I suppose that whole '100 years until integrated into de jure' bit is meant precisely for this reason - to make your far-outlying vassals a lot more uncontrollable and prone to making mistakes without you handholding them.

I guess this just makes me glad that I obliterated the Holy Roman Empire to just take that 100 years time, once I married into it after more assassination and seduction skulldugery than I ever care to repeat again. Would really suck to find this out after wasting something like 30 years time or such holding that empire title and just having vassals be PITAs about wanting it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
You used to be able to turn a tribal vassal feudal by giving him a castle, does it not work that way

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth Windu posted:

You used to be able to turn a tribal vassal feudal by giving him a castle, does it not work that way
According to the wiki yes and no. If they get hold of a castle and make it their capital holding, they can, but they need to be independent to make that decision. I just tried testing this by giving two of my tribal vassals castles, and they are still tribal, although they might have just not converted yet.

How can you force a vassal to create a kingdom? I have vassals with, if my count is correct, 51% of the counties in a kingdom, plus enough gold and piety, but they're still just super-dukes. I suppose ensuring that they're ambitious would help, but that's unreliable. What I want, specifically, are more rulers of my dynasty, for the obvious prestige purposes, and preferably vassals so I don't have to compromise on painting the world. My current method is just to load unlanded dynasts with counties and hope they flourish, but that hasn't gone as well as I'd hoped, usually ending in their titles being usurped by more powerful locals, or things getting broken down in gavelkind succession. The other obvious methods would be to get a dynast a claim on a kingdom, or get a kingdom myself to transfer to them, but as Jewish nomads, neither of those options are really available.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

If you are of king rank they can't make titles at the same rank as their liege (iirc). But anyway, why can't you make the title and grant it to whoever you want?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

If you are of king rank they can't make titles at the same rank as their liege (iirc). But anyway, why can't you make the title and grant it to whoever you want?

If he's playing Jewish nomads then he's probably Khazaria. Ain't the titular Khaganate of Khazaria and empire-level title not king? I'm really foggy on the difference between regular titles and titular ones, even after reading the associated stuff on the wiki.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Honky Dong Country posted:

If he's playing Jewish nomads then he's probably Khazaria. Ain't the titular Khaganate of Khazaria and empire-level title not king? I'm really foggy on the difference between regular titles and titular ones, even after reading the associated stuff on the wiki.

If you are a nomad, you cant give away king titles except to nomad vassals. Maybe that is his problem?

As for the difference between titular and regular titles, AFAIK is only that titular ones have no de jure provinces.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

GunnerJ posted:

You can only grant kingdom titles to rulers of your government type, and since I'm a nomad, that means vassal clans, and out of my dynasty. I've gotten vassals to create titles before, as evidenced by the Most Serene Republics of Georgia and Syria, but I'm wondering about quicker/simpler/more reliable methods. I can think of a few other slightly convoluted ones; I can create a vassal clan, dump the contested kingdom title(s) on them, grant them independence, and press my dynast's claim, which would especially work well for kingdoms like Cumania that are mostly nomadic and empty. Or I can grant my dynasty super-dukes independence, along with a few of their potential vassals, then support them as they fight to consolidate their kingdom, which would also help with my excess of vassals in general.

Honky Dong Country posted:

The Khanate of Khazaria is a kingdom-level title, but even without that, nomadic khans are either king-level vassals or independent empire-level titles, for more or less this reason.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I know this is old hat by now but this sort of nonsense never gets old for me :allears:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Second option is still solid comedy gold. It's akin to that Monty Python sketch where the smuggler breaks down and shows all the smuggled clocks to the customs officer, to which he replies calmly: :colbert: "I don't believe you, sir."

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 17, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
New DD, which is really just a question about what "soft barriers" players would want.

Also some kind of WIP graphic for government types, which might get expanded.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

at the date posted:

CK2's gameplay just doesn't make as much sense at any other period in history except within specific countries. The end of the Hundred Years' War was a good place to terminate the one-size-fits-all dynastic politicking model, although I might have picked the end of the War of the Roses or maybe the Commonwealth of England.

This is a pretty debatable point because dynasties continued to be politically significant throughout the early modern period, but honestly the part I am really talking about is the game being grand strategy but character-driven. EU4 always seemed too impersonal to me, not in terms of historical accuracy but in terms of what I found fun to play. Whether this character-centric gameplay is dynastic or not isn't really the issue for me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah war is less fun when the enemy doesn't have a face and personality traits. Invading someplace because its in my interest to take their poo poo is dull compared to doing it to take their poo poo but also because the pagan bastards made my king's sister a concubine and killed his least lovely son

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah war is less fun when the enemy doesn't have a face and personality traits. Invading someplace because its in my interest to take their poo poo is dull compared to doing it to take their poo poo but also because the pagan bastards made my king's sister a concubine and killed his least lovely son

Basically. I can only get into EU4 if I bring a country to the end date and convert the save :/

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Having an incredible game right now as Slavic Rus, to the point where I might finish it and convert to EU4 because I have to see where this goes. Samarkand, Bukhara, and Khiva are all controlled by the Orthodox Turkic Band, which I hope will result in an Orthodox Seljuk. Aquitaine remains separated from West Francia and has conquered down to Sevilla, and at some point one tutor turned that entire line of Karlings Basque. I created thriving republics in Cyprus and Cornwall, and Swedish Pommerania exists in the 10th century. The Khazars have taken control of all of Central Asia north of Khiva, to the point where I think I'm going to mod in an event where Ghengis Khan convert to Judaism(won't that spawn some fun conspiracy theories). Ghana(Ghana!) managed to seize enough holy sites to reform and a Norseman kicked the Pope out of Rome.

The whole world has gone insane in a century. This is great.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a good tutorial on marriages and how to use them to your own end?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

If there is it's going to be rewritten anyway come next patch.

e: But if you need some advice, in my experience it's good to make marriages into neighbouring families even if it might not pay off immediately. A weak claim can pay off with some luck.

E: Consider twice before marrying someone far away, because you mught find calls to arms from the other side of the map annoying.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 18, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Advanced_marriage_guide isn't a tutorial, but it does lay out the most common tactics.

I gotta say, tho, seducing an unlanded heir to come to your place, so you can imprison and execute his wife and then forcefully matrelinially marry him made me feel bad IRL. Even if it did net my descendants the whole of France and Aquitaine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

E: Consider twice before marrying someone far away, because you mught find calls to arms from the other side of the map annoying.

Yeah, this. There's no direct penalty for accepting a call to arms and then forgetting about it forever, but very often the war in the rear end-end of the world you got nominally dragged into will go on for 20 years, during which you're unable to do anything that requires you to be at peace (like change crown/inheritance laws, or demand someone's religious conversion, or hold grand hunts, or a dozen other things) and it can be very, very aggravating. And declining is a Bad Idea because you lose prestige EVERY TIME you decline, and the other party WILL repeatedly spam you with the same request, tanking your prestige if you continue to refuse.

So yeah, don't ever form a marriage alliance with someone far away. And don't even form a marriage alliance with anyone weaker than yourself, for that matter, unless you have some very good reason to that you expect will pay off soon, because a weaker party WILL try to make use of your strength to enrich himself at his neighbors' expense.

All of this may change with the upcoming patch/DLC.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I marry for positive genetic traits alone and no other reason. I can see the benefit of marrying powerful neighbors, though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pwnyXpress posted:

I marry for positive genetic traits alone and no other reason. I can see the benefit of marrying powerful neighbors, though.

There are quite a lot of starts where marrying the daughter of a powerful foreign ruler is crucial for your survival. Harold Godwinson in the Norman Invasion start for example has to immediately have his heir marry the daughter of the Holy Roman Emperor.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

pwnyXpress posted:

I'm shallow and I marry for that plus portraits that I can stand to look at. I really hope CK3 includes some way of having portraits reflect traits--like a person with the Attractive and Temperate traits should not look like a Hutt with a glandular disorder, nor should the opposite case be true.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Torrannor posted:

There are quite a lot of starts where marrying the daughter of a powerful foreign ruler is crucial for your survival. Harold Godwinson in the Norman Invasion start for example has to immediately have his heir marry the daughter of the Holy Roman Emperor.

Or you could have your army run around until the Norman stack fights the Norse stack and then mop up the survivors with your full strength army.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm shallow and I marry for that plus portraits that I can stand to look at. I really hope CK3 includes some way of having portraits reflect traits--like a person with the Attractive and Temperate traits should not look like a Hutt with a glandular disorder, nor should the opposite case be true.

Fatshamers get out

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

FatGluttonyshamers get out

FTFY

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Lemme get some ideas for a play through. Preferably around 867 or 1066. Open to anything especially interesting vassal games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

verbal enema posted:

Lemme get some ideas for a play through. Preferably around 867 or 1066. Open to anything especially interesting vassal games

Right now I'm having a blast playing the merchant republic of Tunis which I formed as a vassal of Mali after running through half of Africa with it. Now we're together beating the everliving poo poo out of Amalfi and their Byzantine liege in an embargo war so I can eat up most of the Mediterranean trade zones.

Nobody stands between Prince Kisha the Sword of the Ancestors and his future profits

This whole game has gone off the rails too. The Karlings never unified and are eating the Umayyads, the Abbasids got ousted from the Caliphate by the Talibids causing Islam in the east to shatter. And the best is the khazar Ashina clan conquered the Byzantine Empire and then settled there and later convert to Sunni Islam. So now the current Basileus is a Sunni Khazar Ashina who's getting wrecked by West Africans.

E: I guess what I'm getting at is I like setting up my own interesting characters like this west African republic.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 19, 2015

• Locked thread