Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Totally Reasonable posted:

i've got some bison filets defrosting in the fridge, where should i set them for medium?

also, i have one rear end in a top hat who wants their filet well done (i know, right?) should i just gently caress it up in the pan, or should i gently caress it up in a different SV rig?

There's bound to be a tough bit somewhere on a bit filet, give him that.

quote:

'Saving for well-done' is a time-honoured tradition dating back to cuisine's earliest days. What happens when the chef finds a tough, slightly skanky end-cut of sirloin that's been pushed repeatedly to the back of the pile? He can throw it out, but that's a total loss. He can feed it to the family, which is the same as throwing it out. Or he can 'save for well-done': serve it to some rube who prefers his meat or fish incinerated into a flavourless, leathery hunk of carbon.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2000/aug/12/features.weekend1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Indolent Bastard posted:

I made the ribs. 148 for 24 hours. The meat was great, but the rub was way too salty. All in all 10/10 time & temp, 6/10 rub.

145 for 36 then blasted in the oven with a mixture of sugar and paprika on top to get a little crust :swoon:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

the yeti posted:

145 for 36 then blasted in the oven with a mixture of sugar and paprika on top to get a little crust :swoon:

beautiful, now I gotta go buy some ribs

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

the yeti posted:

Plain ribs in the bag, spices only before the oven?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Indolent Bastard posted:

Plain ribs in the bag, spices only before the oven?

Pardon me, no, I loosely followed kenji's rub suggestion in the serious eats link I think upthread: paprika, oregano, onion powder, cayenne, bit of salt, liquid smoke in the bag, then topped with brown sugar and more paprika for the oven.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I have a question. I've been trying random things sous vide but every time it has this weird back taste that is somewhere between decay or rotten plastic or a bad culture. I'm using food savor bags so I don't think it's the bags is there something I could be doing wrong?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Yawgmoft posted:

I have a question. I've been trying random things sous vide but every time it has this weird back taste that is somewhere between decay or rotten plastic or a bad culture. I'm using food savor bags so I don't think it's the bags is there something I could be doing wrong?

What are you cooking and how long and what temp

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Yawgmoft posted:

What kind of bags(roll or pre-cut), what kind of sealer, what are you cooking, what else are you putting in the bag, etc?

Pork can sometimes taste funky because of sulfur that builds up due to being vac bagged.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

What are you cooking and how long and what temp

Steaks and chuck roasts, steaks for thirty minutes at 131-134 and chuck roasts at 131 for two days.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

What kind of bags(roll or pre-cut), what kind of sealer, what are you cooking, what else are you putting in the bag, etc?

I've used both the roll and pre cut, foodsavor V2244, I used to put in rosemary but now I put in salt only because I thought that was the problem but apparently it wasn't.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 16, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Are there any bones in the steaks

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Yawgmoft posted:

Steaks and chuck roasts, steaks for thirty minutes at 131-134 and chuck roasts at 131 for two days.

And do they all come out tasting bad? Do they all come out smelling weird? or just the roasts?

30 minutes is not long enough for any off flavors unless the meat is spending an inordinate amount of time outside of the sous vide bath.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

in my experience fat deposits on the outside of a cut of beef (or lamb) can get rank after an SV treatment longer than an hour or two.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I only get the "steak funk" when cooking the grass fed beef I buy directly from the CSA. Store bought stuff never has it.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
No bones, yes the roasts do smell "off", the steaks not so much but they still smell weird. And the meat has this kinda almost green film on it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is it grass fed? I don't have an answer, I'm curious to figure this out myself.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Practically all my meat comes from whole foods or my farmer's market so a lot of it probably is. I'm not sure if I've cooked solely with grass fed or not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Sooooo I just got this in the mail and started browsing through it. It's a great cookbook overall, full of science info and recipes that look like they went through a lot of testing.

But what's weird is that Kenji is one of the biggest sous vide evangelists and for some reason he downplays it in this book as if he's ashamed of how nerdy it is all of a sudden. It's not even a whole chapter, it's just a few pages in the back of some unrelated chapter, and he doesn't even assume the reader is going to have a sous vide machine, so all the recipes assume you're using a beer cooler and are called "cooler-cooked pork chops" and such. This excludes long-term cooks because of the limitations of beer cooler sous vide, so no recipes that are longer than 3-4 hours. It's a weird neutering for an otherwise great cookbook, just to make it more general-audience--friendly.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Sooooo I just got this in the mail and started browsing through it. It's a great cookbook overall, full of science info and recipes that look like they went through a lot of testing.

But what's weird is that Kenji is one of the biggest sous vide evangelists and for some reason he downplays it in this book as if he's ashamed of how nerdy it is all of a sudden. It's not even a whole chapter, it's just a few pages in the back of some unrelated chapter, and he doesn't even assume the reader is going to have a sous vide machine, so all the recipes assume you're using a beer cooler and are called "cooler-cooked pork chops" and such. This excludes long-term cooks because of the limitations of beer cooler sous vide, so no recipes that are longer than 3-4 hours. It's a weird neutering for an otherwise great cookbook, just to make it more general-audience--friendly.

Bingo. You don't sell cookbooks to the masses if your target market are the still-small number of food nerds who own sous vide circulators. I'm glad his cookbook is successful, as even a lot of the freshman-level science he discusses in the book may put off Joe Sixpack.

In a lot of his writings he refers to this as his "first" cookbook, so maybe down the road we'll get a Food Lab: Sous Vide Edition supplemental.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thing is, he could have properly addressed sous vide by saying "here's some next-level stuff you can get into if you want" without dumbing it down or scaring away noobs.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'd rather have a whole new Food Lab book about nothing but sous vide. :v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
:argh: I'd rather pay for one cookbook that has everything

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
This may be old news, but I just tried this last night:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/12410947238/sous-vide-scrambled-eggs

and it came out perfectly. It was kind of fun to mess with different mixes to get the eggs to be different.

Replaced the butter with a dolop of cream cheese and it was like silky.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

I think he responded to this on twitter -- it's as Midniter says. I was disappointed too, and I'm hoping for an advanced Food Lab book, but I 100% understand why he did it. The book is already insanely huge as it is, and it's still selling gangbusters, so he probably made the right choice.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

hoping these bags will be decent

I know buying a roll is more economical, but sealing both ends is a pain in the balls. I flub the cuts constantly... what I flushed on buying precut bags I'll get back in mitigating frustration/rage :)

Should also delay the inevitable death of my $15 meh.com vac sealer

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
One trick with cutting the roll with scissors is to put the loose end into the sealer, double seal it and before you release that end of the roll from the sealer, unroll as much as you need and cut the roll.

Or it's also easy to use a cutting board and knife to do it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What's the state of the art in small chamber vacs? I'm finding myself more and more annoyed that I can't really seal stuff with liquids.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
VacMaster VP112S it's a tabletop chamber sealer, cheapest I know of. You can get the VP215 for 900 though.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

BraveUlysses posted:

One trick with cutting the roll with scissors is to put the loose end into the sealer, double seal it and before you release that end of the roll from the sealer, unroll as much as you need and cut the roll.

If you have the space a guillotine paper cutter is the bees' knees, especially if you cut a lot of similarly sized bags.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

BraveUlysses posted:

even my lovely food saver has a cutter built in. I thought they all did?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

VacMaster VP112S it's a tabletop chamber sealer, cheapest I know of. You can get the VP215 for 900 though.

I have the slightly older VP112 model and it is indeed the bee's knees. Seems the controls and display on the new S model is a little better. I think I got my VP112 from webstaurant store online for just under $500 shipped (which is no joke because these are really heavy).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

dutchbstrd posted:

Nah, your lovely FoodSaver (if it's actually a FoodSaver) retails for around US$120 or more (going by the models currently available on amazon). The less expensive ones don't have builtin cutters. And sure as poo poo the US$20 Rivals I've been using don't.

I mean, I think that's actually an argument against spending more on a more expensive (non-chamber) sealer---because lol at paying more for a lovely builtin cutter. But you know, whatever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Scissors!?!!?

I think if you guys use a knife on a cutting board, you'll get straighter cuts on your vacuum bag rolls.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Scissors are for wimps, just grab both ends of the roll and tear it apart using your bare hands.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

dutchbstrd posted:

Welp, my 24 dollar foodsaver doesn't, probably why it was so awesomely cheap.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

SubG posted:

Nah, your lovely FoodSaver (if it's actually a FoodSaver) retails for around US$120 or more (going by the models currently available on amazon). The less expensive ones don't have builtin cutters. And sure as poo poo the US$20 Rivals I've been using don't.

I mean, I think that's actually an argument against spending more on a more expensive (non-chamber) sealer---because lol at paying more for a lovely builtin cutter. But you know, whatever.

Fair enough, I bought it years ago so I guess I forgot how much I spent on it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SubG posted:

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Vac...ords=food+saver

I got this version for like $30 at home depot when they were on super clearance, it has the built-in cutter and is nice. I've still hosed up some bags lengths though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
A friend and I made a practice turchetta yesterday that was goddamn amazing. We followed the serious eats instructions except we used my friend's usual thanksgiving turkey seasoning mix (salt, pepper, allspice, candied ginger, an apple slice, onion, cinnamon, rosemary, and sage) to make the paste, and we went with 145 degrees instead of 140.

I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking to do something interesting for thanksgiving.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Those look pretty good, thank you!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Choadmaster posted:

A friend and I made a practice turchetta yesterday that was goddamn amazing. We followed the serious eats instructions except we used my friend's usual thanksgiving turkey seasoning mix (salt, pepper, allspice, candied ginger, an apple slice, onion, cinnamon, rosemary, and sage) to make the paste, and we went with 145 degrees instead of 140.

I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking to do something interesting for thanksgiving.

My only complaint about turchetta is running out of skin to make a second one. All the turkeys I've bought had enough skin for one breast + tenderloin to roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

The Midniter posted:

In a lot of his writings he refers to this as his "first" cookbook, so maybe down the road we'll get a Food Lab: Sous Vide Edition supplemental.

On the Serious Eats podcast he said the next book will most likely be a vegetarian one.