Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Friend's refund process.

1) Generic response.
2) Have to check with manager about refunds.
3) We can offer you half. Choose which ship we will refund. You keep the other.
4) Are you sure you want to refund? 2.0 is coming out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

All I'm saying is that the eagle is landing and it is landing soon.

You refundees are going to feel like a right pack of clowns here soon then the paaaaaaarp will be on the other foot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EminusSleepus posted:

Moss is awesome!
He's actually dangerously negligent. He should be phoning 01189998819991197253.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBfxjSFAxQ

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

Consider this my public statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-oHfJNrr0

I, under the name "Bootcha", an investor with Cloud Imperium Games from Nov 13, 2012 till today, have decided to part ways with Cloud Imperium Games. As such, my investment has been returned to me, as is, with no accumulated interest. I no longer have any remaining business, legal interest, or influential bearing with Cloud Imperium Games and their ongoing business operations, and they have no further obligations towards me.

My opinions have been public, honest, and within the terms of my NDA. I enjoyed helping Star Citizen however I could, and was blessed to meet and befriend so many passionate artists, engineers, and designers. However, this project no longer has need of me, nor I of it.

I would like to thank fuzzknot for giving me the kick in the rear end to get this exit ball rolling, Mr. Smart for being frank and open with me, many past and present CIG employees for talking to me, Ben Lesnick for giving me this opportunity in the first place, Imp Zone for shaking some sense into me, and the Goons as a whole for ruining everything.

The End.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gerbil_Pen posted:

says the guy with multiple SC accounts

It's for uhm, research?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

the fact that Bootcha got out of this without losing his investment tells me that there is some justice in the world

It was either that, or they risk a lawsuit (aside from him having a brokerage firm that has the SEC investigators on speed dial) or an SEC investigation. Anything that gives third-party access to their books, is a no-no. We know this already.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

Does that NDA evaporate when CIG implode?

Yes.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Serious question.

When has CIG legally imploded.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

Friend of mine , fellow game dev , worked at Austin. Told me they brought forward the layoffs from Dec to Nov including his. Also said after Christmas there are some 'Shockingly' high profile leavers.
However Chris is totally confident and with a real spring in his step. The grunts are assuming he has secured major funding ?

Yeah, I think I already reported that a bunch of key people are going to be walking after the holidays.

I don't believe that Chris has secured any funding. I do know some of the firms and people he's been speaking too. That's the thing about this industry. It's smaller than most think.

If he ever secures funding, and it becomes public, I can't wait to hear how White Knights spin it. This after blowing through $95m of their money.

Anyway, I don't believe that any investor or group is dumb enough to put money into this. So I'll believe it when I get proof.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Something I've been wondering about:
What was their reason they gave for choosing CryEngine?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There was literally nothing similar in 2011/2012. UE4 came later, unity was still the joke engine.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Amarcarts posted:

Something I've been wondering about :

I think it was the opposite, Crytek was the one who gave them a reason.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Vire posted:

Not gonna lie those are some pretty sweet jpg renders. At least it looks kinda cool in stills where it is totally not a game.
And they can yours if you have a Titan card and don't mind 5 frames per second in game...

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Dusty Lens posted:

Serious question.

When has CIG legally imploded.

About 12 days from now.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Amarcarts posted:

Chris at that time thought beautiful pictures trumps scalability and I think he still believes that till now.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

no_recall posted:

I think it was the opposite, Crytek was the one who gave them a reason.

he created a prototype, showed it to crytek..maybe some few cocaine sessions crytek decided to lend their thralls to him to further develop jpegs

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Vire posted:

It's really strange / insulting. Nothing this company does makes sense. Unless they are blaming the Austin people for everything and think they are untalented hacks I just don't really get why they are firing / laying off everyone then moving to a more expensive studio and then re hiring. It is expensive as poo poo just to replace some one doing the same job just in administration and training cost. Not to mention you will probably have to pay them more to work at Santa Monica just because of cost of living.

Simple. They are downsizing. And some people who were asked to stay, didn't want to relocate. And they're NOT hiring for the same positions, let alone the same number, in CA.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

CIG customer support when it comes to refunds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJXww8aizAM

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Conspiratiorist posted:

He's already lost an eye.

Seriously? Is one of them fake? I thought his left eye looked a little weird in some recent AtV episodes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

JackDarko posted:

So what are the legal ramifications for CiG if let's say there was a fire or some crazy accident that destroyed too many things causing them to be unable to complete the game?

None. Only if someone - or the Feds - suspected fraud the either filed a lawsuit or an investigation (Feds), with there be any repercussions if any fraud took place.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
hello derek what are some of your favorite action movies

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dirty Hairy posted:

Seriously? Is one of them fake? I thought his left eye looked a little weird in some recent AtV episodes.

He's effectively blind in his left eye and has been since he was a teenager. If he's explained what caused that before, I haven't heard it...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

I know you're pissed dude but that might not be true.

Do you have a link source for that? I'd like to read the whole thing. Thanks.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

G0RF posted:

He's effectively blind in his left eye and has been since he was a teenager. If he's explained what caused that before, I haven't heard it...

so that is why he hosed up the Cutlass

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

His two listed CIG projects from linkedin.

They analyse what people who play the game are doing, I'm glad someone is wondering what the hell they are doing.

He sounds like he did really useful stuff, not terribly surprised he's not there anymore.

The impression I got from watching various CIG media streams over the last few months was that people who were redundant or who did not want to move to SoCal were let go when CIG downsized (read: shuttered) operations in Austin.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Amarcarts posted:

They didn't give one. But since it was 2011, and given that CryEngine was capable of some drat fine pretty pictures, my guess is that's why.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dirty Hairy posted:

Sandi bitch slapped him once so hard that one flew clean out

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

mormonpartyboat posted:

hello derek what are some of your favorite action movies

Oh wow. I have quite a few; most of them are silly Kung-Fu movies :)

But right off the top of my head, Armageddon, all the Bourne movies, John Wick, most of the Bond movies, all the Taken movies etc

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

Oh wow. I have quite a few; most of them are silly Kung-Fu movies :)

But right off the top of my head, Armageddon, all the Bourne movies, John Wick, most of the Bond movies, all the Taken movies etc

What are your favourite rom coms Derek?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

G0RF posted:

Oh, he's had that for a long time? I thought it was glaucoma.

Well, I suppose it could still be, just that I thought he got that more recently as a consequence of diabetes (which I don't know if he suffers from, but you don't get that size without going hard on carbs).

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Bootcha posted:

Consider this my public statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-oHfJNrr0

I, under the name "Bootcha", an investor with Cloud Imperium Games from Nov 13, 2012 till today, have decided to part ways with Cloud Imperium Games. As such, my investment has been returned to me, as is, with no accumulated interest. I no longer have any remaining business, legal interest, or influential bearing with Cloud Imperium Games and their ongoing business operations, and they have no further obligations towards me.

My opinions have been public, honest, and within the terms of my NDA. I enjoyed helping Star Citizen however I could, and was blessed to meet and befriend so many passionate artists, engineers, and designers. However, this project no longer has need of me, nor I of it.

I would like to thank fuzzknot for giving me the kick in the rear end to get this exit ball rolling, Mr. Smart for being frank and open with me, many past and present CIG employees for talking to me, Ben Lesnick for giving me this opportunity in the first place, Imp Zone for shaking some sense into me, and the Goons as a whole for ruining everything.

I am so drat happy you got your money out. Pity it turned out to be a no-interest loan to CIG, but at least you got your money back.

Fake Edit: For how long are you bound by the NDA?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

He posted about it once, childhood illness unrelated to weight.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

They didn't give one. But since it was 2011, and given that CryEngine was capable of some drat fine pretty pictures, my guess is that's why.

No they promised CR people from crytek to help him on his game/prototype. That is why former CIG Dan Tracy is there together with that German dude. In which later on Chris poached them right under from crytek's nose

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheCoach posted:

Man Derek is like the red menace for these people.
Currently on Battlescape kickstarter:

All because Derek kind of looked at a project and said OK.

Chalks posted:

Derek should just start posting about a bunch of different kickstarters that look interesting so we can watch these idiots run around trying to keep up.

Yeah, I announced a new biz model this morning, revolving around specifically that :)

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/666981756613083137

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Gerbil_Pen posted:

He posted about it once, childhood illness unrelated to weight.

Do you mean he is thin/fit when he was a child? I thought he is that big even on birth

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Sandi bitch slapped him once so hard that one flew clean out

I was thinking diabetes, but that makes more sense.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

EminusSleepus posted:

Do you mean he is thin/fit when he was a child? I thought he is that big even on birth

I didn't say that. I said his vision issue was unrelated to his weight. I have no loving idea if he was dat as a kid.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

So, about 4 years and they've built ONE station? Weren't there supposed to be dozens of different kinds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Barnsy posted:

So, about 4 years and they've built ONE station? Weren't there supposed to be dozens of different kinds?

it will be a "handcrafted" copy pasta stations and other assets

• Locked thread