Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Ometeotl posted:

I give up, what's the secret to extracting the materials container in Lingua Franca. I've extracted all four on the base and it still won't proc the side objective.

If I recall correctly, you need to extract the containers that are in the outpost next to Kiziba camp as well. Or something annoying like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

The "skull face" chapter was hard but fun, OKB zero is a well-designed area in my opinion.

S-ranking the chapter is fun too, you go for time bonus. Drop in a tank and then just drive straight down the middle. :killdozer:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

many johnnys posted:

The "skull face" chapter was hard but fun, OKB zero is a well-designed area in my opinion.

S-ranking the chapter is fun too, you go for time bonus. Drop in a tank and then just drive straight down the middle. :killdozer:

Who needs a tank when you have D-Walker?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Who needs D-Walker when you can toss a smoke grenade in a jeep?

I did that and ran in to an empty walker. It phased on to the hood of the jeep and I carted it all the way to the stairwell. The jeep ran in to the pit at the end and I almost fell. When I climbed out, a dude saw me when I ran to the stairs. :frog:

Still got my S.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 18, 2015

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Heh... you're pretty good

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

That's way funnier than what I did, haha

I just used Mist Parasite Suit and sprinted through the base, perfect stealth~

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

A vid so good it even managed to spawn a pretty good youtube comment:

BLUE STREAK
SPEEDS BY
BOSS ON D-WALKER

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

many johnnys posted:

Throw a smoke grenade in your jeep then hop in and drive to the stairs. If you drive around the last Walker Gear right, you can get No Alerts in about 4 minutes.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
My base fobs have been completely abandoned. If you see one available for Capnmurphy and the icon is a white flag with ZERO RESISTANCE on it go hog wild and take everything you can get your hands on. Think I'll just invade people when I get bored and steal a nuke or two. Otherwise I'll be holding my breath for MGS6

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

ChesterJT posted:

My base fobs have been completely abandoned. If you see one available for Capnmurphy and the icon is a white flag with ZERO RESISTANCE on it go hog wild and take everything you can get your hands on. Think I'll just invade people when I get bored and steal a nuke or two. Otherwise I'll be holding my breath for MGS6

Actually, MGSV Chapter 3 is scheduled to be bundled with Half Life 2 Episode 3 and Portal 3, so you have to wait until after that

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was lamenting what a disappointment the game was then it came up "coming in chapter 2..." I totally forgot the game being introduced as chapter 1. I looked into it then and apparently it was discovered that there was sposed to be a chapter 3 but the game was rushed or whatever the gently caress went on with Kojima and poo poo? Explains a lot

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
All we know is that Konami fired Kojima and disbanded his studio, but also that Kojima was asking for more time (delays) to finish the rest of the game and possibly asking for more money. Not sure who is more at fault because Konami is a company bluntly steering away from video games and Kojima is usually insane with his ambition and asking for too much.

I wonder if we'll get a clearer story once Kojima's contract is up at the end of the year and he's not under NDA anymore and can talk poo poo about Konami all he wants. At least this is my understanding from what everyone said in here.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
game is still real good tho

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Moola posted:

game is still real good tho

more like real food

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
aka i need it to live

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Yeah, the game is great and the story is... well, metal gear. If an actual third of the story is missing it really didnt have that much of an impact for me, I was just as confused as I was playing any other MGS game v:shobon:v

me watching every MGS story sequence in every game: "heh, ok then.. :yayclod:"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm sorry but this is not a great game that I have already wasted 77 hours on.

Maybe if for once they tried to have decent controls, but then who wouldn't love a mechanic like what you're able to hit changing when going from third person to first? Fultoning containers and entering vehicles is also a hoot.

They made less attempt at a story in this game than in VR Missions.

Constant repetitive nagging from your ol pal back at base, I'm a fan.

Taking the Minecraft approach at explaining pretty much any of the many confusing systems, that's pretty cool too.

Menus are worse than Skyrim at launch

Snake should never have to pick flowers. And doing so, like picking up the many resources required should at least be instant instead of having to hold the button every time. If its gonna take 5 minutes to get in and out of the loving jeep at least make magic healing flower pickup happen by driving over it, not like anything else is realistic.

Weapon and item development and upgrade is a disaster, mostly thanks to the menus.

Why even include loving garbage like boasters and troublemakers? This doesn't make recruiting more interesting or fun, just pointless tedium.

Side ops: same 4 missions over and over again. Oh, and once you're done one, the next is only 500m away but really will take you about 4km as there's no clear path and you have to drive around the edge of a cliff

Some kinds of realism you don't need. If I drive off a cliff I should be able to go on my merry way, not somehow die when landing flat due to magical reasons

Snake should probably be able to walk over slight inclines instead of slipping backwards repeatedly

You have a loving holographic Samsung Galaxy S10 would it have killed them to add a minimap? Even a jesus compass which I'm sure Snake has implanted into his brain anyway?

Basically I think the game is like a cheap Chinese buffet. You get your fill but nothing is great about it

codo27 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 19, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

codo27 posted:

I cant wait, especially for the ~tactical espionage~ aspects

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The slipping is a bitch and a half.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I don't spend 77 hrs on games I hate.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moola posted:

you farking dick!!!

e; whats your ingame name?

a fraudulent player

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I already have 14k victory points, about triple what the next person has. Gonna buy so much fuel and common metal

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dongattack posted:

more like real food

Dongattack posted:

aka i need it to live

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

KingShiro posted:

I already have 14k victory points, about triple what the next person has. Gonna buy so much fuel and common metal

Unfortunately, victory points are exchanged for PF points (the currency you buy stuff with) at a rate of about 1:10. You won't be able to buy all that much stuff.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

codo27 posted:

Snake should never have to pick flowers. And doing so, like picking up the many resources required should at least be instant instead of having to hold the button every time. If its gonna take 5 minutes to get in and out of the loving jeep at least make magic healing flower pickup happen by driving over it, not like anything else is realistic.

I definitely agree with this one, wholeheartedly.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

In It For The Tank posted:

Unfortunately, victory points are exchanged for PF points (the currency you buy stuff with) at a rate of about 1:10. You won't be able to buy all that much stuff.

How do you do this conversion? Or is it done automatically?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

TheMaestroso posted:

How do you do this conversion? Or is it done automatically?

Happens automatically at the end of the week's cycle (so Tuesday).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

KingShiro posted:

At least you can accumulate your wealth. I can buy three fuels with last week's.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want to try deploying as a staff member, what difference will there be aside from the modifier effect (thinking gunman), where some of the stats are lower than Snakes?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A fully upgraded Snake has inferior versions of those named skills. You are picking someone who can succeed with one ability over Snake, but can improve base stats through many missions for crew work. Someone with S ranks might have higher health or however those other stats work in the field, but only a little bit better. Little difference unless you deploy a S++. It really only matters for medal promoting a guy or you really want a speed demon. It only makes a difference early in the game before Snake gets all his super powers.

Subsistence C2W sounded a lot harder and intense than it turned out to be.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It is really, really hard to go back to Dishonored after playing this game. I loved Dishonored to death when it was new, but the difference in how tight the controls feel is insanely huge. Was that really only three years ago? Boy how the time flies.

Also serves as a painful reminder of how much of a leap forward graphics have taken with the new console generation out. Spending 500+ hours on MGS5 and Witcher 3 and stepping back to last generation with Dishonored or even Assassin's Creed 3 feels like a hell of a lot bigger than a 3 year technological gap.

Subsistence C2W was the mission that made me finally figure out how ridiculously good CQC is. Snake is a goddamned monster up close.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 19, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I just sat in the helicopter and became a demon.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Even if Snake didn't have all the powers the Stun and Rocket/Blast Arms alone make him categorically better than any DD Soldier.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Ugh, all I have left is animal capturing... This is gonna be tuff

e: I wish I could use the Raiden Run Fast Mode without having to look at Raiden's doofy self

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 19, 2015

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Toadsmash posted:

It is really, really hard to go back to Dishonored after playing this game. I loved Dishonored to death when it was new, but the difference in how tight the controls feel is insanely huge. Was that really only three years ago? Boy how the time flies.

Also serves as a painful reminder of how much of a leap forward graphics have taken with the new console generation out. Spending 500+ hours on MGS5 and Witcher 3 and stepping back to last generation with Dishonored or even Assassin's Creed 3 feels like a hell of a lot bigger than a 3 year technological gap.

Subsistence C2W was the mission that made me finally figure out how ridiculously good CQC is. Snake is a goddamned monster up close.

I'm finding it pretty hard to play another open world game after this too. The gameplay and controls in this just blows any similar game away. I'll buy whatever Kojima-less sequel Konami shits out if it keeps the Fox Engine.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ambivalent posted:

Ugh, all I have left is animal capturing... This is gonna be tuff

e: I wish I could use the Raiden Run Fast Mode without having to look at Raiden's doofy self

Use the Cyborg Ninja costume instead! :pseudo:

In animal-capturing related news, I was doing Total Stealth War Economy and decided to set up my capture cages on top of one of those tall towers on the edge of the runway. They're great sniper points, and I'm pretty sure Quiet uses them that way as well. Figured I'd get some birds, you know?

Eight. Gerbils. :negative:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Toadsmash posted:

Huh I find Dishonored completely different than MGS. A lot more about the powers and teleporting, if MGS had Blink I would never stop playing probably. Blink also makes Dishonored a lot more vertical, "evading" guys is usually just running around on rooftops instead of slowly creeping around cover.

Subsistence C2W is one of my favorite missions, I loved having to figure out how to do it. Wish we had more Subsistence instead of terrible Extreme missions where they just make it harder by making poo poo kill you instantly

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Dishonored is also, graphically, intended to be very stylised, which makes it a lot more timeless.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

codo27 posted:

I'm sorry but this is not a great game that I have already wasted 77 hours on.

Maybe if for once they tried to have decent controls, but then who wouldn't love a mechanic like what you're able to hit changing when going from third person to first? Fultoning containers and entering vehicles is also a hoot.

They made less attempt at a story in this game than in VR Missions.

Constant repetitive nagging from your ol pal back at base, I'm a fan.

Taking the Minecraft approach at explaining pretty much any of the many confusing systems, that's pretty cool too.

Menus are worse than Skyrim at launch

Weapon and item development and upgrade is a disaster, mostly thanks to the menus.

Why even include loving garbage like boasters and troublemakers? This doesn't make recruiting more interesting or fun, just pointless tedium.

Side ops: same 4 missions over and over again. Oh, and once you're done one, the next is only 500m away but really will take you about 4km as there's no clear path and you have to drive around the edge of a cliff

Some kinds of realism you don't need. If I drive off a cliff I should be able to go on my merry way, not somehow die when landing flat due to magical reasons

Snake should probably be able to walk over slight inclines instead of slipping backwards repeatedly

You have a loving holographic Samsung Galaxy S10 would it have killed them to add a minimap? Even a jesus compass which I'm sure Snake has implanted into his brain anyway?

Basically I think the game is like a cheap Chinese buffet. You get your fill but nothing is great about it

nah I disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah this game is awesome and a serious contender for GOTY, and please do not play games you don't enjoy for 70+ hours

• Locked thread