Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Why would refugees go to Alabama anyway
Looking for something warmer than Finland, and some wag told them that Alabama fit their needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Mezzanine posted:

Wow, looks like Boston is in for a cold snap this winter.

Remember when Massachusetts filled Ted Kennedy's US Senate seat with Scott Brown (R)? That's because Scott Brown ran against Martha Coakley. Coakley decided to run as Governor this time and lost just as horribly to Charlie Baker (R). She is really awful at state-wide campaigns and I do not like her. That being said, Brown ended up losing to Elizabeth Warren, so maybe Baker will lose to some super awesome liberal and she will completely redeem herself.

Not sure if anyone in this thread really cared, but dammit, I hate seeing my home state aligned with all these other assholes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

trapped mouse posted:

Remember when Massachusetts filled Ted Kennedy's US Senate seat with Scott Brown (R)? That's because Scott Brown ran against Martha Coakley. Coakley decided to run as Governor this time and lost just as horribly to Charlie Baker (R). She is really awful at state-wide campaigns and I do not like her. That being said, Brown ended up losing to Elizabeth Warren, so maybe Baker will lose to some super awesome liberal and she will completely redeem herself.

Not sure if anyone in this thread really cared, but dammit, I hate seeing my home state aligned with all these other assholes.

Try living in Tennessee.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Mezzanine posted:

Wow, looks like Boston is in for a cold snap this winter.

Still probably better than last winter. Jesus Christ.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The craziest part of the whole "no refugees" thing is that apparently per the Refugee Act of 1980, it's outright illegal for the governors to be banning immigrants in their states, and the office of the President totally has the power to remove them from their power because of it.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Ben Carson's map of the US

I remember my childhood in Quebec City, Maine.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Poltergeist IV looking good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BgRdMchne posted:

I remember my childhood in Quebec City, Maine.

How the gently caress do you get the basic shape of the map wrong

And then publish it without anyone noticing

I am at a loss

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trent posted:

How the gently caress do you get the basic shape of the map wrong

And then publish it without anyone noticing

I am at a loss

You have all the states (except Hawaii and Alaska, lol) in your graphics design program as separate layers.

Then you drag a selection box around what you think is the whole country, but accidentally fail to include New England.

You move the rest of the states and fail to notice your mistake before publishing.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Everything about Ben Carson is the funniest thing possible

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
A couple interesting articles for today.

Woman attacked by injured 10-point buck in Kent County
Trash argument ends with Spokane sword swinging

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man, I got to copy-edit an amazing police blotter from the west suburbs of Chicago this week. All of these were real reports from the same town:

quote:

-A man told a preschool teacher he wanted to eat the children at Grace Lutheran Church, 200 N. Catherine Ave., it was reported at 7:26 a.m. Nov. 10. Police weren’t able to locate the man.
-A man screaming for several hours was reported at 8:31 p.m. Nov. 8 in an apartment on the 300 block of South 6th Avenue. Police determined the man had stubbed his toe.
-An 8-year-old boy was reported missing at 3:19 p.m. Nov. 7 from his home on the 200 block of South Ashland Avenue. Police located the child inside the home.
-Police were requested at 4:34 p.m. Nov. 7 to calm parents arguing over a play at an athletic field at Cossitt and Gilbert avenues. The parents complied.
-A man wearing a black ski mask chased a woman taking out the garbage, it was reported at 8:33 p.m. Nov. 6 at apartments on the 200 block of East Plainfield Road. Police weren’t able to locate the man.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Uh that last one seems legit scary :ohdear:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, it doesn't really compare to stubbed toe guy, but it is strange.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The police blotter makes every newspaper a newspaper from Florida.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Definitely sounds like a problemattic issue.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

GrandpaPants posted:

Ben Carson's map of the US

How does this even happen? The project is literally download a borders only map, load into paint, paint bucket the states the correct colors. How does that become select Connecticut and everything east of Vermont, cut, paste Connecticut onto side of Vermont?

Intern accidentally set the canvas to the wrong size and those states didn't fit, so rather than fix it he just moved them and hoped nobody would notice?

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
Man carrying spear chases man carrying sword through south Wichita

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

So this is how Total Recall starts

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

You have all the states (except Hawaii and Alaska, lol) in your graphics design program as separate layers.

Then you drag a selection box around what you think is the whole country, but accidentally fail to include New England.

You move the rest of the states and fail to notice your mistake before publishing.

Your first two points are good and well taken. The third one is where the whole thing is loving crazy.

Don't recognize the shape of your own nation? Neither does your editor? Maybe map-making is not the profession for you.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

whatever country linwood is in, it's always a shithole

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
A nice strange headline to start the day with:

Man slips in vomit, runs own head over

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A nice strange headline to start the day with:

Man slips in vomit, runs own head over

I think mine rivals it in it's own way.
Car stolen with child inside; carjackers drop child off at school

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I think probably my favorite part of reading that article was learning that Norfolk's crime hotline number is 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

This is kind of neat, really. Guys just wanted to steal a car, find a kid in it, ask him where he wants to go and drop him off there.

Kid wasn't hurt or threatened and the car was found abandoned somewhere later.

I mean, yeah, they stole a car, but they weren't violent about it and even went out of their way to drop the kid off somewhere public and (one would assume) safe for the kid to wait for authorities to find him.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Wade Wilson posted:

This is kind of neat, really. Guys just wanted to steal a car, find a kid in it, ask him where he wants to go and drop him off there.

Kid wasn't hurt or threatened and the car was found abandoned somewhere later.

I mean, yeah, they stole a car, but they weren't violent about it and even went out of their way to drop the kid off somewhere public and (one would assume) safe for the kid to wait for authorities to find him.

I find it amusing that the kid just went right to class and didn't say anything about the whole incident. The kid was also left alone in the car for 20 minutes. Would have been great if the car thieves reported the owner for child neglect as they dropped the kid off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like how they say the kid was abducted, which is technically true, but the car thieves were more responsible than the mother.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Trent posted:

Your first two points are good and well taken. The third one is where the whole thing is loving crazy.

Don't recognize the shape of your own nation? Neither does your editor? Maybe map-making is not the profession for you.

eh, nobody remembers the shapes of all those little states up in the corner

edit: In at least one of the threads that picture has been posted in, the first 6-7 posters didn't notice anything was wrong. It's still funny, but it makes sense why nobody noticed. It looks right at first glance if you're not looking for something wrong.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Harvey blames potato feast for freak accident

This is from when ex-East 17 (British boy band) member Brian Harvey managed to run over his own head after falling out of his car after eating a load of jacket potatoes

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

"Savannah Smiles 2" sounding boring as Hell to be honest.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Wasn't that an episode of Malcom in the Middle?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Platystemon posted:

I like how they say the kid was abducted, which is technically true, but the car thieves were more responsible than the mother.

The article says the mom was running into a post office for whatever while on the way to work (depending on the time of morning and the post office, this can take a long time depending on what you're doing if you have to have something packaged up).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Wade Wilson posted:

The article says the mom was running into a post office for whatever while on the way to work (depending on the time of morning and the post office, this can take a long time depending on what you're doing if you have to have something packaged up).

And I'd be willing to guess that the reason the keys were still in the car were so the kid had access to heat/AC as appropriate. Seems minimally irresponsible to me.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Friend of mine sent me this from her local paper yesterday.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
A whole lot of people getting evil over trifling food.

Fight over fried chicken turns fatal in W. Houston

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

[source]

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Car park gone terribly wrong in Albion Park Rail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rube Goldberg is laughing in his grave right now.