Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Arrath posted:

I've been chasing the gremlins that keep causing my new desktop to wake itself from sleep at random times and I think I finally got the last one. No, windows media player update check, you aren't important enough to wake the computer whenever the gently caress you feel like.

Is this a windows 10 thing because I've never had it happen on 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Must be, or maybe I clicked through the WMP setup pane too quickly and didn't notice that it was an option. Whatever it was, its taken me a few weeks to weed out everything that has been waking the computer from sleep for no apparent reason. W10 sure seems to have more of that crap by default than 7 did.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Nuebot posted:

I was living in a small town a few hours from Vancouver at the time and half the people I knew had the same reaction. My whole homeroom class was freaking out thinking terrorists would bomb our school personally, because.

EDIT: vvv Our schools wisely decided to tell the entire student body about the anthrax letter and stress being careful about opening letters and if you ever saw white powder to call the cops.

My school, for whatever reason, didn't use white boards yet. We still had chalk. Which made white powder. The incidents pretty much write themselves.

Man, if only they'd counselled your province on what to do if you were mailed human feet and hands

i will let myself out

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

cash crab posted:

Man, if only they'd counselled your province on what to do if you were mailed human feet and hands

i will let myself out

The obvious solution is to dump the feet into the nearest creek.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

Ha, I should mention, I was living with my best friend in a high rise apartment on 9/11, and she was convinced our apartment building would be the next target, because it would send a message that no one is safe even in their homes. I asked her to explain why our apartment building and not the thousands of others, and she'd splutter some paranoid rambling....

Then, when the anthrax letters were sent to Congress, she wouldn't let our apartment maintenance people change the air filters in our unit, because she was convinced that would lead to us getting anthrax. And I would say, "Okay, so in the case that terrorists decide to target our random apartment building for their next anthrax attack, how does having clean air filters put us at more risk than having dirty ones?" And she'd just plead with me to just go with it, okay???

Fast-forward to 2003 and the DC Sniper is killing people all over the place, and my friend has moved to Indiana while I'm still in DC, I'm living my life as usual and she's sending me daily emails to check in with her to prove that I'm still alive, telling me to get my groceries delivered so I don't have to leave the house. (I guess the poor delivery guys are fair game?)

So, my pet peeve is people who let their psychological issues spill over into other people's lives. Speaking as someone who has had anxiety and depression for 25 years, my motto has always been, "Contain your poo poo." Be as paranoid as you want in your own life, but do your absolute best to keep it from impacting others.

Oh my god, this. I have mental issues, too, but I try to keep from burdening anyone else with my broken brain, and I will never understand people who foist their poo poo on others. Anxiety is tough but for god's sake get it together.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

HOLY gently caress posted:

No. But thank you for the link :)

Also what the gently caress?! You don't live in the same house, do you? :ohdear: My mom dated a guy who used to hit on me all the time which was loving creepy but at least I had left home by then.

At the time, yes. It was even better because he and my mom's sex life had pretty much stopped by then. Creepy doesn't begin to describe this dude. They are no longer together, thankfully.

How about people who don't turn on their headlights when it's overcast? Bonus points for having a white or gray truck while doing so!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

My friends lit off some firecrackers on the street in broad daylight, which prompted some old lady to call the police and claim Al Qaida was attacking her street. This was in 2004.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It's definitely happened on my 7 desktop.

KoB
May 1, 2009
When youre standing in line, and the line moves up so the person in front of you takes a few steps, you take a few steps, and then the person in front of you takes a step or two back. Great now we're all uncomfortably close.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

KoB posted:

When youre standing in line, and the line moves up so the person in front of you takes a few steps, you take a few steps, and then the person in front of you takes a step or two back. Great now we're all uncomfortably close.

Take another step.

They'll get as far away from you as possible then.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

KoB posted:

Related: line bunching, where everyone's so anxious to get to the end of the line that people kind of squish together now and then, apparently to provide the illusion of progress, though the only real effect is to make you extra conscious about where you're resting your hands.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Related: line bunching, where everyone's so anxious to get to the end of the line that people kind of squish together now and then, apparently to provide the illusion of progress, though the only real effect is to make you extra conscious about where you're resting your hands.

Oh god, the other day I was standing in line at the grocery store and this chick behind me was standing so close I could feel her breath on the back of my head. It was super, super uncomfortable. Why? You're gonna have to wait the same amount of time to check things out, I gotta get my groceries.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sociopastry posted:

Oh god, the other day I was standing in line at the grocery store and this chick behind me was standing so close I could feel her breath on the back of my head. It was super, super uncomfortable. Why? You're gonna have to wait the same amount of time to check things out, I gotta get my groceries.
There was one morning I went to get a bagel and some coffee, and to be fair I was hungover and may have been overacting in my head, but there was this group of three 60 or 70 year olds standing right behind me, the entire time, talking loudly about their dogs pooping habits.

All I wanted was a stupid bagel and some coffee, but the guy in front of me ordered two sandwiches and a dozen bagels, so I got to stand their and look at the bagel I wanted while they rattled on about dog poo poo, and then when I got to the counter to pay for my stuff, the cashier ducked off to help the line work through their backlog of sandwiches. At that point this trio of poo poo talkers were so close I was basically in their circle, they were just talking to my back and not my face.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Ms Boods posted:

Mum clearly had no interest, toddler wasn't interested, infant wasn't interested. Several people got up and walked out during the second feature, and as we were leaving, everyone else was grumbling and tutting. :britain:

I'd like to see Spectre in the cinema...I guess it would be easier to ignore the idiots in a big, loud, splashy film, but during something sweet and gentle like L & H it was annoying as hell.

I used to work away from home and found two cinemas close to each other. One was a huge, new multiplex and was always filled with idiots yakking on their phones. Luckily, this was the trendy place to be and the older, smaller cinema was almost empty all the time. I saw several big films entirely on my own, or with maybe four or five others in the room. It was bliss. :)

Bad cinema behaviour is awful. Sit down, shut up, and watch the film.

I've had to move seats a couple of times before. Once to get away from a couple where the girlfriend was constantly asking her boyfriend about the characters and plot. Not whispering, just talking as if they were at home. Another time I had to move because a person in the row in front had such eye-wateringly bad B.O. it was impossible to concentrate on the film. I know some people might have unfortunate medical conditions, but this one stank like a burning land-fill soaked in vinegar.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

grittyreboot posted:

My friends lit off some firecrackers on the street in broad daylight, which prompted some old lady to call the police and claim Al Qaida was attacking her street. This was in 2004.

All weekend people here were setting off firecrackers. Big loving ones, even though they were pretty far off it drove all the animals on the street nuts and occasionally caused my whole house to shake. Cops were looking for them for a while and it freaked out a good few people considering the whole thing in france.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I can't remember if I've already said this, it might have been in Dumb Moves in Marketing because of come vs. Coke, but as useful as autocorrect is with my sloppy typing, it should never, ever correct a word you've typed that exists. I don't care how many more times I've typed "have", I'm loving saying "gave" this time! :argh:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

AlphaKretin posted:

I can't remember if I've already said this, it might have been in Dumb Moves in Marketing because of come vs. Coke, but as useful as autocorrect is with my sloppy typing, it should never, ever correct a word you've typed that exists. I don't care how many more times I've typed "have", I'm loving saying "gave" this time! :argh:

Autocorrect makes me so angry sometimes. Ok, most of the time. I type really fast on my phone and it's almost always really good at fixing my garbage lksksks into lipstick or whatever but sown times it gets the word wrong <<--see <<- and it's already too late and I've hit send on the text and then I have to type a whole new text saying "*some. Stupid autocorrect" and then there's the times where I try to text the correct word but it still autocorrects wrong like (trying to type gently caress):

Duck
*duck
*DUCK
GODDAMNIT DUCK
gently caress AUTOCORRWCR

:bang:

Yes, it did actually keep AUTOCORRWCR when I just typed it, and that word is apparently in my dictionary now because it appeared in the predictive typing thing :suicide:

Basically, my pet peeve is myself typing too fast and hitting send too fast.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

Yes, it did actually keep AUTOCORRWCR when I just typed it, and that word is apparently in my dictionary now because it appeared in the predictive typing thing :suicide:

On my phone, if a word shows up in the predictive text box, you can click and hold onto it, and an option will pop up to remove it from your dictionary. Not sure if your phone is the same, but it might be worth a try.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I HATE it when people stand over me when I'm doing something.

Last page, but holy poo poo when people do this to me I go INSANE. I can't stand it. It drives me to distraction so much, I can't concentrate on what I'm doing, to the point that I usually just stop and wait until they leave. I am completely aware that I have an unreasonably strong reaction, but for whatever reason I just get so loving mad and anxious it's like I cease functioning. My ex used to come up and try to read my book or computer screen over my shoulder, or peer at something I was working on, then he'd get all butthurt when I stopped/told him to go away.

Actually that's another huge peeve: when a friend/family member/significant other KNOWS that something bothers you, and insists on doing it anyway. Especially if, when you inevitably have a bad reaction (because holy poo poo if you're intentionally doing poo poo you know I don't like then I might think you're doing it on purpose, who knew) they act like you're the one causing problems or trying to start a fight.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thin Privilege posted:

Basically, my pet peeve is myself typing too fast and hitting send too fast.
You can still type fast, just pause to read over what you wrote before you hit send.

Davinci posted:

On my phone, if a word shows up in the predictive text box, you can click and hold onto it, and an option will pop up to remove it from your dictionary. Not sure if your phone is the same, but it might be worth a try.
You should also be able to edit the dictionary from the settings somewhere, probably under "language and input" or whatever.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who stir their drink AND THEN PUT THE WET loving SPOON IN THE loving SUGAR. gently caress THOSE PEOPLE WITH A RAKE LOOK AT THE STATE OF THE SUGAR. DO YOU THINK GIANT HARD BOOGERCLUMPS OF SUGAR IS OKAY? IT ISN'T.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When I try and unlock my phone and it goes directly to the camera mode. I have no idea what I'm doing to make it do that, and I can't replicate it when I actually want to. I have to delete a lot of floor pictures because I tap on it expecting the homescreen but it's the camera instead.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Murphy Brownback posted:

When I try and unlock my phone and it goes directly to the camera mode. I have no idea what I'm doing to make it do that, and I can't replicate it when I actually want to. I have to delete a lot of floor pictures because I tap on it expecting the homescreen but it's the camera instead.

If you're on iPhone it's interpreting your swipe as up, not to the right. Swiping up on the lock screen takes you to the camera.

My phone likes to do that too; the phone will stay on in the background draining the battery and it dies after a minute or two. Oh old phone, you tried :smith:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Murphy Brownback posted:

And if you are a few gens behind in iphone technology it'll take the phone an extra 30 seconds to exit back to the home screen because of this! Defeating the point if you were just looking at your phone to quickly check something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have pretty good roommates for the most part but a couple of peeves:

1. Neither of them change the toilet paper ever. They just leave empty rolls on the stand, and if you put a backup one on the toilet they'll just take from that regardless of if there's paper left on the current roll or not. I don't understand this at all. It's even worse for me because I have a colon disease, so when I've gotta go (especially in the morning) I'm sure as hell not gonna pause to go to the closet in the kitchen and grab a new roll before I sit down to do my business. I need that tissue right loving then and there.
2. One of my roommates has podcasts blaring from his phone all the time, just walking around with yesterday's local sports talk or Regular Car Reviews spilling out at any possible hour of any day. Sometimes he also watches stuff on his laptop at 3 or 4 in the morning (he's a bartender so his waking hours are odd) in his room, which shares a thin wall with mine. He's a good enough roommate to turn it down if I ask him, but motherfucker if it's 4 am put on some drat headphones.

Unrelated peeve: when Chrome suddenly goes into "Aw, snap! Something went wrong mode" (like it did right before I started typing this post). Why do you have to kill the page immediately, Chrome?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have pretty good roommates for the most part but a couple of peeves:

1. Neither of them change the toilet paper ever. They just leave empty rolls on the stand, and if you put a backup one on the toilet they'll just take from that regardless of if there's paper left on the current roll or not. I don't understand this at all. It's even worse for me because I have a colon disease, so when I've gotta go (especially in the morning) I'm sure as hell not gonna pause to go to the closet in the kitchen and grab a new roll before I sit down to do my business. I need that tissue right loving then and there.

My roommate and boyfriend do this and it's gotten to the point where they will balance the new roll on top of the empty one still on the spool and I have to just laugh. HOLY poo poo YOU GUYS, JUST CHANGE IT

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Murphy Brownback posted:

My Windows 8 convertible tablet does this sometimes just from hitting the physical sleep/wake up button and I have no idea how the gently caress to make it stop.

YOU ARE A TABLET WITH A lovely INTEGRATED WEBCAM. I WILL NEVER EVER USE YOU TO TAKE A SELFIE. loving CUT IT OUT.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

cash crab posted:

My roommate and boyfriend do this and it's gotten to the point where they will balance the new roll on top of the empty one still on the spool and I have to just laugh. HOLY poo poo YOU GUYS, JUST CHANGE IT

They can't, because changing the roll is one of those things you learn in Adult 101 and they never took the class.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It's even more annoying if they just leave like half a square left on it so they don't have to throw it out because it's not empty yet. This applies to food/drinks too - people who will leave like 3 chips in a bag, a sip of soda etc. Just have it all and throw it out instead of disappointing the next person who picks it up expecting a reasonable amount of it being in there.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
My roomie doesn't wash dishes, just rinses them and leave them to dry. This doesn't bother me with like a quick glass of water, but I had to shout at him when he tried to rinse a baking tray he just oiled up and thought a rinse would fix it and eurgh.

He also does the toilet roll thing.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's even more annoying if they just leave like half a square left on it so they don't have to throw it out because it's not empty yet. This applies to food/drinks too - people who will leave like 3 chips in a bag, a sip of soda etc. Just have it all and throw it out instead of disappointing the next person who picks it up expecting a reasonable amount of it being in there.

I am married to a person like this.

Even better: you go to go to bed, absolutely exhausted: surprise! no sheets or pillows on the bed because he decided to strip the bed and do the washing.

You go to take a shower and reach for the flannel/towel: surprise! no towels or flannels anywhere in sight because he's decided to wash them whilst you're in the shower (he ninjas in and out of the bathroom, and I'm blind as a bat without my specs). Ditto when you've been doing the washing up and turn to dry off your hands, and all of the dishtowels have similarly disappeared.

My mom's rule for household stuff like that: strip the bed, make it up with new sheets at once. Collecting towels for a wash, replace them at once.

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Nov 19, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ms Boods posted:

My mom's rule for household stuff like that: strip the bed, make it up with new sheets at once. Collecting towels for a wash, replace them at once.
I don't know why anyone has more than one set of sheets per bed. Wash the sheets, dry the sheets, put the sheets back on the bed. Same goes for towels, except you can skip the drying phase and just hang them back up in the bathroom to dry out before you need them again the next day.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Tiggum posted:

I don't know why anyone has more than one set of sheets per bed. Wash the sheets, dry the sheets, put the sheets back on the bed. Same goes for towels, except you can skip the drying phase and just hang them back up in the bathroom to dry out before you need them again the next day.

Some places don't have perfect temperate weather all year round and it might take more than one day for large things like bedding or towels to dry?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

My BF does this. Hell, he'll go one step further and just leave an empty carton/container of whatever instead of just throwing it out (ie takes the last beer but just... Leaves the little box thing still in the fridge. Good god, why? Do you think I'm gonna use it for something?)

To be fair I used to do that whole leaving a bit of food thing, too. Nowadays I just realize I'm not going to eat that last bit or whatever (don't look at me, it's probably some weird psychological thing) and just throw it out myself instead of pretending someone else is going to deal with it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

cyberia posted:

Some places don't have perfect temperate weather all year round and it might take more than one day for large things like bedding or towels to dry?

Is this post from the 1800s? Have you ever heard of a dryer?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

bradzilla posted:

Dryers are expensive and redundant when you have the sun. I live in a tropical climate and usually the laundry dries fast, but one unexpectedly over-cast day or surprise rain shower and I can't use whatever I had on the line for another day.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Nuebot posted:

Dryers are expensive and redundant when you have the sun. I live in a tropical climate and usually the laundry dries fast, but one unexpectedly over-cast day or surprise rain shower and I can't use whatever I had on the line for another day.

Exactly my point, thanks. Almost like a dryer is not redundant exactly for these situations. Expensive maybe.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bradzilla posted:

Also if you live in Europe (like me) you probably don't have room in your house for a separate washer and dryer. And washer/dryers are loving terrible. Also the whole 'expensive to run' thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

They can't, because changing the roll is one of those things you learn in Adult 101 and they never took the class.

I must have been in an advanced course because I learned that in Early Childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It costs $2 CAD for me to run the dryer in my apartment