Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
Goon: My father warned me about you...
Cult-sperg: [interupting] Your Father?
Goon: Derek Smart, he warned me about people like you.
Cult-sperg: Oh, did he?
Goon: He said "Do not try to understand them".
Cult-sperg: What?
Goon: Yes, and, "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

peter gabriel posted:

This is exactly it apart from the raising money thing.
One of them knows their poo poo, the other runs on passion and fury ha ha, so he shouts down the one who knows their poo poo and they cry.
It's immensely entertaining

Can you be like "you, the gobshite, gently caress off outside for 10 minutes" or do you just have to sit politely smiling while they punch each other in the dick? like i guess i mean can you help them out with making you want to help them out

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

AP posted:

I know right? I make a boring post about consumer rights in EU and some guy on reddit tries to troll me about it. In doing so he manages to reveal he's a German Auditor who has spent thousands on jpgs while simultaneously posting as his son, daughter, wife, brother in law and is definitely not the same German Auditor angry posting at me here.

I mention it again and some guy who really likes elite dangerous rages at me for pages about how terribly upset I am.

There's just no way a potential Star Citizen game release can be as entertaining as when I plan to mention consumer rights in EU again, in 37 pages time.

Don't worry you're a highlight of this thread. Also I think one of those people tried to contradict me for saying ED didn't have multiplayer at launch... by posting a video of a livestream from november. :shrug: For some reason E:D fanboys are just like SC fanboys, the only difference is that they have a game to play and don't have to spend all their time posting.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
WRT to Lesnick: Don't mistake weakness for innocence. Is a person over 30? Don't trust them.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Amarcarts posted:

WRT to Lesnick: Don't mistake weakness for innocence. Is a person over 380? Don't trust them.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
BTW, I did get confirmation that there's no 2.0 today. It'll be on the PTU first before being released.

Currently they're fixing a CPU performance bug.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

BTW, I did get confirmation that there's no 2.0 today. It'll be on the PTU first before being released.

Yeah I wondered why anybody thought they were just going to dump 2.0 to everyone without running it through the PTU.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Loiosh posted:

Just one?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

2 weeks

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Romes128 posted:

Just one?

They get criticised when they try and do everything at once and now you're not happy when they focus on one thing at a time. CIG are the real victims here.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
How far are they actual?

You can walk around drive a buggy fly some ships do a race.

More?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

They get criticised when they try and do everything at once and now you're not happy when they focus on one thing at a time. CIG are the real victims here.

Yeah, cig can focus on one thing like bens eyes can.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Romes128 posted:

Just one?

It's the major one holding the release back, according to CIG. They've had it for awhile, but made it a blocker for AC 2.0. Supposedly the german team is the group that's doing the majority of the work on that particular one while they tackle other issues. There will probably be an update today, but we'll see in about 4 hours.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Can you be like "you, the gobshite, gently caress off outside for 10 minutes" or do you just have to sit politely smiling while they punch each other in the dick? like i guess i mean can you help them out with making you want to help them out

It depends really, with these guys I see the potential in what they are doing and they have a lot of lessons to learn, and they will do I think. So with them I played mediator and saw both sides and give them a pep talk.
I'm lucky in that I can tell people to gently caress right off, which I did a couple of months ago with a client who I just didn't gel with, it was his fault the fucker, so I binned him ha ha.
Usually though start ups rock because everything is new and exciting, it's my favourite thing to be a part of usually.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Romes128 posted:

We literally don't have to do anything to troll sc backers. Lolllll
Indeed. No need to troll them when they do stuff like this on their own:

The Dark Knight

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

GUYS A VERSION NUMBER INCREMENTED BY ONE

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3td5vy/new_patcher_v_242/

HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo

Yespleamdr posted:

it's about hyping us for nothing while they should either try to meet dates or don't give any. If you try to look back to this sub in march 2015 everyone was exited about Starmarine coming in 2 weeks.... It's not the wait, it's how they manage it by hyping us

YOU'RE RIGHT I'M SO EX- wait what?

NyuuPingu posted:

I rather have a date and an explanation why it's getting delayed by a reasonable amount of time than someone constantly promising it's coming "soon".
When Devs do this for too long you get the feeling they don't commit to any deadlines anymore and thus get nothing done.

Is this... reason?

tommytrain posted:

Down vote away since the sentiment I'm having this morning contradicts yours: An event with 3 new ship sales BEFORE 2.0 drops is probably not ideal for sales, at least ... optically.

These can't all be Derek Smart alts!

MagBootFTW posted:

nobody says they take too long, most people are angry because they say : "ITS RIGHT THERE NEXT WEEK !!!!!" then 6 month later nothing then "NOW ITS REALLY THERE" and 3 month later nothing.

And these posts are all getting upvotes!

I think maybe the hype train is derailing.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Can someone explain fps in 2.0 mor clearly? self.starcitizen
Submitted 14 minutes ago by nicolone8
Ive seen people saying that fps is coming out with 2.0 but not the module so im a bit confused halp

quote:

[–]95688it 2 pontos 10 minutes ago
2.0 is a large world test bed. FPS in it will be open combat where we can duke it out on certain space stations rather than in star marine(arenas) like it was going to be before. star marine is still coming later though it's just not easy to balance and arena shooter and have it fun.

I know this is a stupid question because there is no game but I still wonder how these people think all this is all going to gel. It seems that if you die it will take some time for you to respawn, or you will respawn at the home system and have to travel your way back or whatever. Given this why would you ever get out of your ship to engage in FPS? What happens when you die and your ship is left abandoned at the docking platform? poo poo what happens when someone else just ignores you and simply steals your ship while you are busy fighting the other shitizens? Or, if that is not possible just blows the gently caress out of it?

There are enemies inside the space station? Taking cover in positions overlooking the landing platform? Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bedshaped posted:

Lesnick is a kind of pitiable guy. He just loves WC too much and wants SC to be a real thing. His dreams are crashing down around him by the day.

But on the other hand he has been a complete unwarranted dick to goons.

examples?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Be interesting to see what this "exclusive studio access" will reveal given CIGs claim to be running the most openest development ever.

I hope they have a cut-out-and-keep souvenir picture for the keen JPEG collectors.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I held a meeting yesterday with a new start up company, I love these because they are sometimes really excited and naive in a happy puppy kind of way.
These guys though had my other favourite thing about start ups going on, they had no idea about etiquette or how to behave in a meeting.
The guy stormed out three times in a massively angry strop while his business partner sat in front of me every time and cried.
It was amazing, truly amazing because two of the three times he stormed out were because they were unsure what to have as a headline on the frontpage of their site :v:

how does it feel to upset rich millenial children

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Alan Smithee posted:

how does it feel to upset rich millenial children

Feels good man

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

I know this is a stupid question because there is no game but I still wonder how these people think all this is all going to gel. It seems that if you die it will take some time for you to respawn, or you will respawn at the home system and have to travel your way back or whatever. Given this why would you ever get out of your ship to engage in FPS? What happens when you die and your ship is left abandoned at the docking platform? poo poo what happens when someone else just ignores you and simply steals your ship while you are busy fighting the other shitizens? Or, if that is not possible just blows the gently caress out of it?

There are enemies inside the space station? Taking cover in positions overlooking the landing platform? Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

This makes me think of goons orbiting that platform, and executing anyone who steps outside the doors so other goons can land and take their sperg-mobiles from them, take off, and nuke even more of them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lolololol false flag CIA COINTELPRO

dunning krueger as gently caress

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

mcjomar posted:

This makes me think of goons orbiting that platform, and executing anyone who steps outside the doors so other goons can land and take their sperg-mobiles from them, take off, and nuke even more of them.

Hahaha, everyone is busy FPSing when all the sudden someone rushes in:

- THEY STOLE OUR SHIPS! :derp:
- Who, the Reds?
- No, their ships were stolen too!
- GOONS! :argh:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Alan Smithee posted:

dunning krueger as gently caress

Scratch that one off the failcascade bingo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Feels good man

so why'd he storm out the third time

more stories of serial entrepreneurs please

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loiosh posted:

These meetings are generally about trying to raise money (that doesn't come from family / credit card debt). They're always pretty fascinating. You can tell the guys who know their poo poo vs passionate start up types almost instantly.

The number of Facebooks and Apples is so rare.

Yep. Back when I was customer facing, we'd end up with pitches once a week for something that was obviously infringing because they don't even do the modicum of research.

My favourite was someone who wanted to stream Disney movies and didn't understand the concept of copyright.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

Most of these are already answered. All of the player owned ships can be docked. They despawn when you 'dock' them and are stored in a hangar. When you want to get back in, you go to the hangar entrance and select the ship you want and walk through a gate to see your ship loaded in your secured dock.

I don't recall if they allow the Idris to do this, it's been awhile since I was reading about that.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

Most of these are already answered. All of the player owned ships can be docked. They despawn when you 'dock' them and are stored in a hangar. When you want to get back in, you go to the hangar entrance and select the ship you want and walk through a gate to see your ship loaded in your secured dock.

I don't recall if they allow the Idris to do this, it's been awhile since I was reading about that.

I think he was referring to the bit in the FPS segment of the CitCon demo, where pirates nicked the Constellation?

If it's possible there, then why not allow for 3rd party involvement (and theft)?
It's certainly funnier to imagine both groups of FPSers running outside to check on their sperg-wagons only to be cut down by (stolen) spaceship cannons - goooons! :argh:

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 19, 2015

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

mcjomar posted:

I think he was referring to the bit in the FPS segment of the CitCon demo, where pirates nicked the Constellation?

If it's possible there, then why not allow for 3rd party involvement (and theft)?
It's certainly funnier to imagine both groups of FPSers running outside only to be cut down by spaceship cannons - goooons! :argh:

That'll be entertaining in AC 2. They haven't clarified if they have the ships 'locked' to the player. I saw during the Bugsmashers episode that there's a security computer listed in the pipe debug* which would indicate that they made have some form of hacking computer control planned for the future. For AC 2, who knows what'll make it.

* Pipe system is the internal name for the different ship resources: CPU usage, power, heat, electromagnetism signature

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well today's going to be interesting. :munch:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

This raises even more questions.

- What if you don't park but exit your ship by EVA and land on the station that way? Does the ship just stay abandoned in orbit?
- Can't people park their ships just above the docking station and block everyone inside?
- How does this despawning work? Does the ship vanish in front of your eyes or is it physically moved to an actual physical location inside the base?
- If it's moved is the hangar divided into sections that only the owner of the ship parked inside can enter?
- Is it like a TARDIS with space for an infinite number of ships inside or are there limited docking spaces?
- What if you die and log off, does your ship get transported to the home system or does it stay in the station forever occupying a parking space?
- If you die and respawn near your ship rather than at the home system doesn't the whole battle degenerate into camping the hangar exit?
- Won't it still be much easier to blow up the station rather than get out of your ship or will stations be indestructible?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 19, 2015

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Havent followed the thread in a while, anyone got a short synopsis of recent events so that I can ketchup?

wakka wakka

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Loiosh posted:

That'll be entertaining in AC 2. They haven't clarified if they have the ships 'locked' to the player. I saw during the Bugsmashers episode that there's a security computer listed in the pipe debug* which would indicate that they made have some form of hacking computer control planned for the future. For AC 2, who knows what'll make it.

* Pipe system is the internal name for the different ship resources: CPU usage, power, heat, electromagnetism signature

Oh god, now I'm thinking that someone at CIG loved the PipeDream minigame from Bioshock and wants that to be how hacking works in this not-game. :suicide:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 19, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Alan Smithee posted:

so why'd he storm out the third time

more stories of serial entrepreneurs please

The third time he was just generally really fuming, his words at the door were "24 years I've done this and you're WRONG" :lol:

I have loads of stories, but I dunno if they are funny, some are for sure

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

- What if you don't park but exit your ship by EVA and land on the station that way? Does the ship just stay abandoned in orbit?

This one especially.
What if someone goes EVA for that satellite mission, and in the meantime, a goonsquad in a multiperson ship (hahaha, like that'll work properly in 2.0) flies by, and EVA's a guy to steal the ship? What happens to a dude who just lost his ship and is EVA all alone in space? That's guaranteed to generate some rage.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

- How does this despawning work? Does the ship vanish in front of your eyes or is it physically moved to an actual physical location inside the base?
- If it's moved is the hangar divided into sections that only the owner of the ship parked inside can enter?
- Is it like a TARDIS with space for an infinite number of ships inside or are there limited docking spaces?
- What if you die and log off, does your ship get transported to the home system or does it stay in the station forever occupying a parking space?
- If you die and respawn near your ship rather than at the home system doesn't the whole battle degenerate into camping the hangar exit?
- Won't it still be much easier to blow up the station rather than get out of your ship or will stations be indestructible?

Yes, and can be taken.

Unknown (the statements have been you would land it and it would be shown being drawn into a landing storage, then despawned, but you wouldn't see that part)

It's possible, the engine supports instancing so it would not be surprising to have your hangar be a unique instance for you. The original design document talked about players renting hangar space on different planets/stations.

TARDIS

If you die while your ship remains out there, it can be stolen (thus, ship insurance). The ships you own stay at the stations they've been parked at 'in storage.'

You always respawn at the nearest medical center. Station, capital ship, or planet.

Players cannot destroy stations, at least that's the intention at the moment. They've 'discussed' it but have said for now stations would not be destructible.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
I'm probably going to be busy in a bit, so I just thought I'd pop by and leave a message for later.

Moogle posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

mcjomar posted:

This one especially.
What if someone goes EVA for that satellite mission, and in the meantime, a goonsquad in a multiperson ship (hahaha, like that'll work properly in 2.0) flies by, and EVA's a guy to steal the ship? What happens to a dude who just lost his ship and is EVA all alone in space? That's guaranteed to generate some rage.

In the full PU you can signal for distress and an NPC mission will be created to come pick you up (for a fee). Also, your guild/org can come get you. In the AC 2.0, you just /suicide and respawn back at the station. I don't know what happens to player ships in AC 2.0, I imagine we'll get some information today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

Early days.

• Locked thread