Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

I don't know where you're getting this insurance company thing from. They're not too concerned about people doing this to give away a ship or two. This is a concern for someone who loses 5 to 10 ships.

They expect ships to be hijacked and stolen and have gameplay ideas for how to reward and punish those activities. It doesn't matter if it's your buddy. He's still having a ship that cannot be used in UEE space (which is great for pirates/mercs). He'll also have to replace the avionics and computer systems since those modules are locked to the owner.

It's not something they're worried about. Also, the larger the ship is, the longer it takes to replace. Someone losing an Idris is going to be suffering that loss longer than someone replacing a little Aurora. It'll make some of this self-limiting.

But doesn't giving away "a ship or two" equate to getting the most cash-expensive ships in the game for free?

Seems like a big deal, even if it's just a ship or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Loiosh posted:

I don't know where you're getting this insurance company thing from. They're not too concerned about people doing this to give away a ship or two. This is a concern for someone who loses 5 to 10 ships.

They expect ships to be hijacked and stolen and have gameplay ideas for how to reward and punish those activities. It doesn't matter if it's your buddy. He's still having a ship that cannot be used in UEE space (which is great for pirates/mercs). He'll also have to replace the avionics and computer systems since those modules are locked to the owner.

It's not something they're worried about. Also, the larger the ship is, the longer it takes to replace. Someone losing an Idris is going to be suffering that loss longer than someone replacing a little Aurora. It'll make some of this self-limiting.

In theory anyway. Absolutely none of this is currently present in the game, so we can chalk it up with the farming simulator in the bubbles on that capital ship.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
Actually, I should note that a group I was involved with back when SC was in the early stages planned to 'acquire' portions of their fleet this way, by hijacking or insurance fraud. That way they could operate a deniable pirate division/wing that would handle Org espionage kind of activities.

Being the upstanding person that I am, I of course did not support this idea, tsktsk.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Madcosby posted:

hmm an insurance agency sounds like it'll be exploited/abused endlessly by all ends.

it's as if there wasn't a lot of thought put into this

Oh its been clear for a while that croberts is making up the game on the spot when he is placed in front of a camera. I would not be surprised if CIG's design doc is nothing more the notes taken from every video he is in. With :lesnick: being the key recorded, it would actually gel with his "qualifications" for working at CIG.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Loiosh posted:

I vaguely recall talks about actual people having as a job doing Star Citizen insurance claims to check for fraud, etc.

One of those pitches that Chris explained while waving his hands about a lot and not really having any idea how anything would be implemented.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Madcosby posted:

But doesn't giving away "a ship or two" equate to getting the most cash-expensive ships in the game for free?

The larger ships require actual crews to run them. That kind of activity will be self-limited. Remember that the final game is as TTerrible points out, entirely not done (who knows how far along its even started given that the majority of their effort is focused on SQ42 right now). So there's plenty of time for these kind of details to be sorted out.

This happens all the time in MMOs. Who here remembers all the issues with Vanguard when it launched?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Madcosby posted:

Supposedly stolen ships don't get replaced, so while you have a free ship for a while, its just a matter of time before you lose it.

I think of it like killing a dude in an FPS and taking his uber-weapon he bought with game credits. It might be "free" to you, but you're going to get killed and lose the weapon sooner or later.

*Of course this is all moot because doing anything like this in the PU will is at minimum 2 years away, if the game does not fold before then*

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

I vaguely recall talks about actual people having as a job doing Star Citizen insurance claims to check for fraud, etc.

One of those pitches that Chris explained while waving his hands about a lot and not really having any idea how anything would be implemented.

I'll admit, that would be the kind of gameplay I would enjoy when I was not in the mood to do commercial transport. I always like doing logistics assistance. If they had like, ship VIN tracking and integrated that into the scanning/reclaiming/scavenging gameplay they have planned.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
The vid touches me in its display of memories of hope and anticipation, while ending with release and relief :')

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

The larger ships require actual crews to run them. That kind of activity will be self-limited. Remember that the final game is as TTerrible points out, entirely not done (who knows how far along its even started given that the majority of their effort is focused on SQ42 right now). So there's plenty of time for these kind of details to be sorted out.

This happens all the time in MMOs. Who here remembers all the issues with Vanguard when it launched?

I buy an entry package to the game. You have a one man ship worth more than my entry package and insurance. This fraud plan I'm suggesting has no bearing on whether or not the ship is the most expensive or crew-based. it's just entirely exploitable.

While thieving and insurance are part of the game, there is no way this won't be exploited.

One of them will have to go.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Warcabbit posted:

The sad, sad thing is that I'm a croberts for a much smaller and, eventually, just as huge in scope a project as this.

I designed it to build out from a solid core of work, but... it really is terrifying to look at how much I have scheduled eventually.

I'd like to say I've learned a lot from this thread, but... really, not that much. It's been mostly a case of extreme perplexity of 'wait. why are they doing this _this_ way?' the more I see of it.

I guess it's just a cautionary tale.

On the other hand, I've worked in movies... I said I was a croberts... and some of the stories I've heard about projects that eventually came out and did amazingly well, are just as terrifying and badly-configured.

I dunno. I just know I have work to do and a lot of people who put their faith in me.

The difference is that you're aware of your limitations, and more importantly are aware of the scope of your game. City of Titans is well defined. People know what to expect, you know what to have people do, you've built it out from a solid foundation, and you have a plan. Your limited funds enforce a motivation to stay tight and efficient, and not waste funds or resources on superfluous things or remakes. Obviously there are some inefficiencies in development but you don't consider having multiple mocap studios to be a good utilization of your funds.

Madcosby posted:

Will the insurance agency track chat logs and out-of-game conversations?

If we agree on these forums to take your $1500 ship to Planet X, get out, and I steal it, and you get the insurance copy, will they cancel the insurance for our fraud made on an off-game forum? Let's assume our characters are not in the same clan or have any in-game ties.

Supposedly abuse will be investigated by a GM. The expectation is that it will be a relatively rare occurrence at that there will be identifiable behavior (similar to a gold farmer). Obviously they won't track anything out of game but if a player develops a habit of getting their destroyer stolen then a GM would investigate. One of the other balancing mechanisms is a time lock on getting a new ship. Supposedly they won't be conjured out of thin air, but instead will require a ship to be physically manufactured or delivered. If you lose a basic ship like an Aurora or a Cutlass your new one will be delivered immediately since they mass manufacture them. OTOH if you lose a Javelin and they only make one a week (or whatever) then it could be months before your $2500 monument to idiocy is returned. And in the case of the Javelin it will be delivered without any guns or other components unless you insured them separately. Of course how to balance everything when your guns take two weeks to manufacture but your ship takes two minutes is likely something they haven't figured out. It can also supposedly be susceptible to market influences. If there's a shortage on space lube and your Javelin needs two metric tons in order to be fabricated then production might slow down until the economy realigns itself.

poo poo like this is why SC was so enticing to me. There were going to be a seemingly infinite number of ways to gently caress with people.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
happy third anniversary everyone.

the text got way to pixelated :(

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Madcosby posted:

I buy an entry package to the game. You have a one man ship worth more than my entry package and insurance. This fraud plan I'm suggesting has no bearing on whether or not the ship is the most expensive or crew-based. it's just entirely exploitable.

While thieving and insurance are part of the game, there is no way this won't be exploited.

I do not know why you assume that when other games have allowed that kind of gameplay and found it quite enjoyable. I don't know if that applies to EVE, but there's an entire genre of multiplayer games with persistent asset tracking (and even microtransations, WarZ!) based on stealing poo poo from other players and murderating them. DayZ, Ark, WarZ, just as examples.

You only need to stamp out exploitation if it has an impact on the wider game. Every MMO has exploitation issues, hell, how many people here had their WoW account sharded at one point? I know I did back in basic WoW.

Exploits will happen. What matters is seeing how the company responds. Even those with the best laid plans will have to adopt. As my Age of Conan and Vanguard examples point out earlier, MMOs tend to need long alphas and betas to get issues like that sorted out. CIG has quite a lot of time to work on this (assuming they don't fail sometime next year).

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Has anyone made a drugs joke yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Madcosby posted:

This isn't a new idea.

CIG's entire plan relies on A- automatically detecting blatant fraud and preventing stolen ships being flipped for credits. B- Ship turnover is so high a stolen ship is meaningless.

Of course we have no idea how A or B will work, and CIG will probably gently caress it up.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There is no plan. Only Roberts.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

I do not know why you assume that when other games have allowed that kind of gameplay and found it quite enjoyable. I don't know if that applies to EVE, but there's an entire genre of multiplayer games with persistent asset tracking (and even microtransations, WarZ!) based on stealing poo poo from other players and murderating them. DayZ, Ark, WarZ, just as examples.

You only need to stamp out exploitation if it has an impact on the wider game. Every MMO has exploitation issues, hell, how many people here had their WoW account sharded at one point? I know I did back in basic WoW.

Exploits will happen. What matters is seeing how the company responds. Even those with the best laid plans will have to adopt. As my Age of Conan and Vanguard examples point out earlier, MMOs tend to need long alphas and betas to get issues like that sorted out. CIG has quite a lot of time to work on this (assuming they don't fail sometime next year).

I just assume it's a big deal since we're talking about thousands of dollars spent on these things

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loiosh posted:

EVE has persistent asset tracking as well. The difference is that (to my knowledge) none of those games (including EVE) have an insurance mechanism that returns the asset to the player. In EVE if you lose something and it's insured you get a paltry sum of ISK that's barely worth the effort. Personally I don't see how CIG's approach is remotely viable. If new ships aren't delivered in a timely manner then people will complain about how the insurance mechanic is worthless because it takes X hours/days/weeks/whatever to play again. If new ships are delivered at a pace that exceeds the balance of the economy then you have excessive inflation. Even ignoring the exploitation issues I struggle to see how this won't be a systemic problem.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Loiosh posted:

If you need to replace the avonics and computer then you cannot hijack ships, unless you're literally just pulling them inside some other ship and buggering off. If that's the case then the whole thing is loving stupid and the EVA/boarding mechanic is entirely pointless.

If you can steal ships and replace some parts for some fraction of the cost of the whole ship then there's going to be some incredibly careless owners of the top end ships getting them hijacked over and over again by 'accident'. Sure they're stolen but who cares if you're a pirate anyway.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Peter I really hope you are going to be shitposting all throughout this...

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The difference is that you're aware of your limitations, and more importantly are aware of the scope of your game. City of Titans is well defined. People know what to expect, you know what to have people do, you've built it out from a solid foundation, and you have a plan. Your limited funds enforce a motivation to stay tight and efficient, and not waste funds or resources on superfluous things or remakes. Obviously there are some inefficiencies in development but you don't consider having multiple mocap studios to be a good utilization of your funds.

Thanks, Beer. That means a lot.

Amusingly, I have access to three mocap studios. Er. 'studios'. A guy in Seattle with two Kinects, a guy in Italy with two mocap suits and a studio somewhere around, and this place in Texas that I have an acting troupe nearby.

I've not used 'em yet - no reason to. But it's good to know where you can get things done.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

EVE has persistent asset tracking as well. The difference is that (to my knowledge) none of those games (including EVE) have an insurance mechanism that returns the asset to the player. In EVE if you lose something and it's insured you get a paltry sum of ISK that's barely worth the effort. Personally I don't see how CIG's approach is remotely viable. If new ships aren't delivered in a timely manner then people will complain about how the insurance mechanic is worthless because it takes X hours/days/weeks/whatever to play again. If new ships are delivered at a pace that exceeds the balance of the economy then you have excessive inflation. Even ignoring the exploitation issues I struggle to see how this won't be a systemic problem.

Have you not learned that CIG has intention of making a functioning economy that players have any influence on?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

G0RF posted:

ha ha ha ha. Good one.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Madcosby posted:

There is no plan. Only Roberts.

I wonder when people say something like this if they're expecting an MMO to have a hard rule book designed from day 1. It's not very common with MMOs, especially those trying to be innovative.

Blizzard had no idea what WoW would be when they started design. They knew they liked EQ (most of the original members were hard-core EQ raiders), and wanted to make something like it, but better. They didn't even have a quest tracker in their original design. It was added in the F&F Alpha when family members complained. Their original design around talents was completely changed, multiple times. Originally Talents would be small improvements to somewhat tweak your abilities (+5% damage or increase the rate of point generation for rogues). Originally each class would have a unique class quest and epic weapon (like cleric sticks for EQ). All of these things changed.

Heck, the raids and instances were redesigned in the middle of production. After the success of Scarlet Monastery (instance) they decided they should redesign their raids to be winged, just like SM was (thus, the original Naxx). Molten Core was too far along to really make use of that design.

There's an entire history of MMOs that got scrapped or changed in development because their original ideas didn't quite work out and they had to adopt to changes.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Loiosh posted:

I wonder when people say something like this if they're expecting an MMO to have a hard rule book designed from day 1. It's not very common with MMOs, especially those trying to be innovative.

Blizzard had no idea what WoW would be when they started design. They knew they liked EQ (most of the original members were hard-core EQ raiders), and wanted to make something like it, but better. They didn't even have a quest tracker in their original design. It was added in the F&F Alpha when family members complained. Their original design around talents was completely changed, multiple times. Originally Talents would be small improvements to somewhat tweak your abilities (+5% damage or increase the rate of point generation for rogues). Originally each class would have a unique class quest and epic weapon (like cleric sticks for EQ). All of these things changed.

Heck, the raids and instances were redesigned in the middle of production. After the success of Scarlet Monastery (instance) they decided they should redesign their raids to be winged, just like SM was (thus, the original Naxx). Molten Core was too far along to really make use of that design.

There's an entire history of MMOs that got scrapped or changed in development because their original ideas didn't quite work out and they had to adopt to changes.

That would have been a good excuse a decade ago when WoW and EVE were young, but those games exist now. SC is not trying to innovate it's trying to create a persistent on-line universe which is cross between Elite : Dangerous and EVE, that's not really innovation. The only things they're suggesting which are kind new is hijacking ships which is a fundamentally flawed mechanic in a game where ship replacement insurance exists and in a world where Goons exist.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I really don't know about EVE, I don't follow it. I'm kinda thinking that players will complain either way, though there are a couple of systems designed to help with this, especially waiting on the larger ships.

#1 There's a rental system (REC) which allows players to rent and fly NPC-owned ships or do contract jobs on ships they do not own.
#2 The material and build system for the economy will offer jobs to players. If you have a Javelin that you're waiting on being built, you can take guild / merchant contract missions and help those delivers to decrease your build time.
#3 Dispatch missions (bounties and rewards for recovering stolen ships and property)

There's a lot of ways of tackling this kind of issue so players feel like they still have something to contribute above the three examples above that I directly know of. The more systemic your gameplay and design, the more ways you can make use of that interaction. Also, the more ways it can go wrong, of course, and it takes testing to find those cases and adjust for them.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
SC twitch chat is full of happy citizens anticipating the livestream and fantasizing about their jpegs. Goons please ruin their simple joys

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQQPzHerrPE

Mark Hamill seems happy.

Warcabbit posted:

Thanks, Beer. That means a lot.

Amusingly, I have access to three mocap studios. Er. 'studios'. A guy in Seattle with two Kinects, a guy in Italy with two mocap suits and a studio somewhere around, and this place in Texas that I have an acting troupe nearby.

I've not used 'em yet - no reason to. But it's good to know where you can get things done.

Buy them all out and you can be the next CRoberts.

Eldragon posted:

Have you not learned that CIG has intention of making a functioning economy that players have any influence on?

Of course. Their approach of having players influence a system level economy while ensuring the universe was big enough to prevent things from getting out of hand seemed really cool. But functioning economy and delivering ships in a timely manner don't seem to relate.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

I agree MMO's change. But the problem is they're already selling concepts without a solid design. It's not like an MMO beta where people are playing equal characters. This game has a buy-in power system.

When you sell insurance on day - 1, you should have a complete understanding of how it'll be implemented on day 0.

Scraping insurance and starting over is actually a good plan. Now try it when people have spent 1000's of dollars on it

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Loiosh posted:

SC is being innovative? There's a wealth of existing experience to draw from. All SC has are gimmicks.

And while I wouldn't expect every mechanic to be planned to be carved into stone tablets from the get go, at the very least I'd expect design documents on them (that can be feasible implemented) before they're announced.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Loiosh posted:

Bullshit. Blizzard had a plan, a very well detailed one that laid out the long term plan for where the game was going. They did not just start writing code and say "oh, make it like EQ but with warcraft crap". Blizzard adopted and changed the design as development progressed, but these were refinements; and is normal in software development. You are confusing "lack of a plan" with making minor adjustments.

Everything coming out of CIG in the last year screams poor project management from the top down.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3tdo3n/the_investor_is_bugging_out_this_is_popcornworthy/

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Twitch thinks 2.0 is coming out today or within a week at most. Not even the fabled two weeks.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I don't understand this whole cast-info blitz. I just wanted a multiplayer space game, I was never in it for the cast, but of course John Rhys-Davies and Mark Hamill were going to be in it, they've been in everything CR's ever done. People getting all worked up over them is just weird to me. Well, that and the fact that it feels like a shell game to divert people's attention away from the fact that they're holding another sale without having released anything.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It strikes me that there's two kinds of ship pirating. Cheap and expensive. I suspect you'll be able to fraud cheap ones, while expensive ones will be examined a bit more carefully.
Capital ships, being a subset of expensive, should be pretty easy to discover fraud on - was it boarded and captured with much death, or did someone land it, exit the thing and leave it unlocked, and someone else wandered in almost as if they were waiting?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't understand this whole cast-info blitz. I just wanted a multiplayer space game, I was never in it for the cast, but of course John Rhys-Davies and Mark Hamill were going to be in it, they've been in everything CR's ever done. People getting all worked up over them is just weird to me. Well, that and the fact that it feels like a shell game to divert people's attention away from the fact that they're holding another sale without having released anything.
It hardly helps with the impression that Chris Roberts would rather be making movies.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Of course. Their approach of having players influence a system level economy while ensuring the universe was big enough to prevent things from getting out of hand seemed really cool. But functioning economy and delivering ships in a timely manner don't seem to relate.

Honestly I can't wait for the first iteration of ship replacements being delayed. Either replacement times are long, and using an Aurora to suicide against a more expensive long replacement time ship is going to make the carebears freak out to no end. OR replacement times are short and the carebears freak out that ships are too disposable. I don't see much middle ground here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Aramoro posted:

That would have been a good excuse a decade ago when WoW and EVE were young, but those games exist now. SC is not trying to innovate it's trying to create a persistent on-line universe which is cross between Elite : Dangerous and EVE, that's not really innovation. The only things they're suggesting which are kind new is hijacking ships which is a fundamentally flawed mechanic in a game where ship replacement insurance exists and in a world where Goons exist.

Snarky answer: I guess it's good most goons are looking to get out of SC then :)

But honest answer: If there was no innovation than why is Derek saying SC is impossible? You'd think those two would be conflicting. A game that is based on an existing gameplay would not be impossible to build, I mean, E:D and EVE are already out, right? (The snarky answer here is hey, Chris sucks at game dev he couldn't even make an E:D, which I guess if you think that's the case, I don't have much useful input).

There's a lot that has not been tried before, above the basic systemic design of the ships and how complexly stimulated they are, the intent of an open world with a large simulated economy like this is something I'm not aware of in other games. EVE has the closest setup, which is entirely player driven and based on, am I correct on this Beer, a tiered build?

Tier 1 assets - mining ore)
Tier 2 - Refining
Tier 3 - Component building

SC is looking to do something similar, but to make the economy driven mostly by simulation instead of player intervention. And on top of that do the complex stuff like EVAs and more involve ship simulation with actual built interiors with physically modeled components that can be replaced, damaged, and stolen.

But I mean, if you think that all is already done and out there, I don't even know what to think about that beyond disagreeing.

• Locked thread