Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Games™ has a lot of weirdos who play games well past enjoying them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm finding it pretty hard to play another open world game after this too. The gameplay and controls in this just blows any similar game away. I'll buy whatever Kojima-less sequel Konami shits out if it keeps the Fox Engine.

You're in luck: Konami isn't doing games besides PES and gambling machines

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Everything codo said is true, except for the part where he said it's not a great game (it is a great game)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Moola posted:

Games™ has a lot of weirdos who play games well past enjoying them

The sperg kicks in and they have to get all the cheevos and 100%. Games as cubicle office worker MMO. TPS Report achievement unlocked.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's a pretty good game, I can see myself firing it up a few months from now and dicking around exploding people. Because I've pretty much gotten most of the enjoyment I can out of it, and the rest is just grinding for online development mats and hunting down critters (Although I apparently got the ridiculously rare turtle already, so that would be fairly easy).

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Mission 46 concept spoilers: "Oh, this again? Well, okay, hopefully they change enough to make it interesting. No? Well hopefully they take out the tutorial prompts. No? Okay. Hopefully I get a nice long cutscene as a reward for doing this again." (A few minutes later.) "Dang it."

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I am making attempts to play other games and it is really difficult because everything gameplay-wise is a downgrade. Got Alpha Protocol on a Steam sale. Gave that a shot. The movement and combat is 100% garbage in comparison and the stealth mechanics are lol.

I just need to finally FINALLY play the original Deus Ex like I keep telling myself to.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Huh I find Dishonored completely different than MGS.

I hadn't thought about it, but that's a pretty good comparison. Dishonored made 3D navigation not a random shitfest (looking at you, Dying Light) by adding teleporting. MGS5 makes stealth not a random shitfest due to marking and a very un-metal-gear adherence to rules. Both games solved problems that made moment to moment gameplay bad by adding in magic powers. In both cases everything falls over when the scripting rails get turned on but most of the time they're great.

One of these days the Lingua Franca container bug will get patched and I'll go back to playing this. Shame there's no chance of a third act dlc. :smith:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like marking to activate magic wallhack vision on your enemies is a pretty good compromise.

And yeah MGSV controls like a dream. Such a drat shame we won't be seeing anything else done with this control setup/engine. They could release the most basic barebones VR Mission-style set of missions and I would buy it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I would pay at least $30 for another Ground Zeroes sized game. One really well designed map with 8-10 missions on it. Was anything in TPP as good as Glaz and Palitz?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It was pretty bad that in TPP nothing was as intricate or well-designed as the map in GZ.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

It was pretty bad that in TPP nothing was as intricate or well-designed as the map in GZ.

The oil refinery comes pretty close.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Monkey Fracas posted:

I was just thinking the same last night, man i spent so much energy and tears making GBS threads on GZ and all the time i had no idea that the glorified demo would be better than the real game in many places.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The Oil Refinery is good. Afghan Central Camp and OKB Zero are good, but needed more enemy soldiers to make it hard. The power plant and the mine in Africa are pretty good, I just wish more happened there. A lot of places, like Nova Braga, were just too open to be interesting or difficult. Part of the tension of stealth games is loving up and getting boxed in. If you can always run far away, there's nothing to worry about.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

What we really needed were exops in those locations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wonder how TPP would feel compared to GZ if you used no buddies and didn't upgrade anything, relying solely on OSP more or less.

I gotta try that at some point.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I liked OKB Zero, but like every location in the game it needed a bit more polish and depth.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I was disappointed that they rope off the helicopter landing pad area in OKB Zero when you aren't doing the Skull Face mission.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

therealjon_ posted:

I was disappointed that they rope off the helicopter landing pad area in OKB Zero when you aren't doing the Skull Face mission.

That's the only way to get the tape there, right?

also it'd be nice if you could get a pickup from okb zero, I captured the entire joint and then had to run way away to meet pequod (because I fultoned all the containers already like an idiot)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Raxivace posted:

I wonder how TPP would feel compared to GZ if you used no buddies and didn't upgrade anything, relying solely on OSP more or less.

its really fun and how I play atm, makes stuff tense

water pistol and smoke grenade launcher only, no buddies

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Raxivace posted:

I have OCD about deployment costs, so I played most of the game with Rank 2 Tranq pistol, the basic 180 gmp starting Assault Rifle, a box, empty magazines and Rank 1 C4 I thought it was pretty fun. I also play non-lethal just about 100%.

It's pretty simple if you just want to clear a mission.

I think the best challenge is trying to do all Objectives + S Rank with those sort of minimal load outs, I have a lot of fun and I feel really slick and clever when I dive through a crowded area and knock out a bunch of objectives unseen.

My probably proudest thing I did was I cleared the Subsistence Occupation Forces mission with S Rank, All Objectives, in just 8 minutes.

I know it probably isn't a big deal to you guys, but I felt really cool when I did it. :shobon: I could've done it a lot faster if I called in the extraction chopper faster/used a faster Pequod, but I keep that at rank 1 too.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

many johnnys posted:

That's the only way to get the tape there, right?

also it'd be nice if you could get a pickup from okb zero, I captured the entire joint and then had to run way away to meet pequod (because I fultoned all the containers already like an idiot)

I also hate this. I spent like 30 minutes looking for an AA radar I was sure had to be there.

Moola posted:

its really fun and how I play atm, makes stuff tense

water pistol and smoke grenade launcher only, no buddies

What happens when you fire a smoke grenade at someone's face?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ambivalent posted:

I have OCD about deployment costs, so I played most of the game with Rank 2 Tranq pistol, the basic 180 gmp starting Assault Rifle, a box, empty magazines and Rank 1 C4 I thought it was pretty fun. I also play non-lethal just about 100%.
You can deploy with the 70 gmp Assault Rifle. I used it to take down the riot armor units. Take down meaning they recoil from the bullets and I CQC them. The materials cost more than the loadout and you are still a Hollywood actor.

You can Return to ACC after taking over OKB.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can deploy with the 70 gmp Assault Rifle. I used it to take down the riot armor units. Take down meaning they recoil from the bullets and I CQC them. The materials cost more than the loadout and you are still a Hollywood actor.

I like the silencer on the 180 GMP more (SVG looks weird with a silencer), and I just sneak the Heavy Infantry guys and CQC them. The silenced assault rifle is so that you can ping an armored vehicle in transit, and often times they'll hit the brakes and start looking around for the source of the shot and you can fulton them. Way cheaper than using EMN mines.

It wasn't until I started playing more fast and loose with the game that I realized I'm just really bad at actual firefights. I watched one of my friends play and he was so much better at straight up using cover and exchanging gunfire, whereas I mostly just flail around and hide.

e: that said, I've never failed to fulton a defender in a FOB. Silenced Riot Shotguns are so good vs. players.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 19, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ambivalent posted:

It's pretty simple if you just want to clear a mission.

I think the best challenge is trying to do all Objectives + S Rank with those sort of minimal load outs, I have a lot of fun and I feel really slick and clever when I dive through a crowded area and knock out a bunch of objectives unseen.

My probably proudest thing I did was I cleared the Subsistence Occupation Forces mission with S Rank, All Objectives, in just 8 minutes.

I know it probably isn't a big deal to you guys, but I felt really cool when I did it. :shobon: I could've done it a lot faster if I called in the extraction chopper faster/used a faster Pequod, but I keep that at rank 1 too.

Actually that sounds pretty cool.

I guess it's a testament to TPP that even after 130+ hours and getting pretty close to Platinuming it, I'm still looking for different ways to play it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Raxivace posted:

That's the thing I want, to like in GZ hit triangle to tab to different difficulties and that being like the top one. Went to mission 24 running all default and no researching on an alternate playthrough and had a great time, still got S ranks.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I am making attempts to play other games and it is really difficult because everything gameplay-wise is a downgrade. Got Alpha Protocol on a Steam sale. Gave that a shot. The movement and combat is 100% garbage in comparison and the stealth mechanics are lol.

I just need to finally FINALLY play the original Deus Ex like I keep telling myself to.

Don't worry, the controls were garbage when it was released (if you played on PC anyways)

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
God-dammit DD keep away from my ruskie kickin' foot.

:shittydog:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

I also hate this. I spent like 30 minutes looking for an AA radar I was sure had to be there.

What happens when you fire a smoke grenade at someone's face?

sadly not much :(

I really hoped the launchers would be able to knock people out too

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Moola posted:

sadly not much :(

I really hoped the launchers would be able to knock people out too

I've had a lot of fun with Stun Grenades + Fulton DD. You can stun grenade groups of people from super far away and send DD in to fulton them, and their allies will rush up and be all 'Whaaa' but totally ignore the dog strapping their pals to balloons.

I was pretty amazed how powerful the Fakel stun grenades are, even if the Stun doesn't last that long. How is the Sleeping Grenade Fakel?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
yah I like the stun launcher too, I just wish the smoke launcher projectile bonked dudes in the head

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ambivalent posted:

I've had a lot of fun with Stun Grenades + Fulton DD. You can stun grenade groups of people from super far away and send DD in to fulton them, and their allies will rush up and be all 'Whaaa' but totally ignore the dog strapping their pals to balloons.

I was pretty amazed how powerful the Fakel stun grenades are, even if the Stun doesn't last that long. How is the Sleeping Grenade Fakel?

Sleeping grenade Fakel is great. The sleep cloud isn't as big/quick acting as the hand grenade version, but it gets the job done. I liked using it in fob missions because you can send a group of guys nite nite or aim at walls to disable snipers or guys through stairwells/grates.

Only problem is the deployment cost gets steep. Now that I'm working on my second and third fobs, things like fuel and minor metal are starting to become a real issue, so I'm trying to keep myself to GMP/common metal/bio based weapons.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Im tempted to use cheat engine to give myself 99999 african peach

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Dilettante. posted:

God-dammit DD keep away from my ruskie kickin' foot.

:shittydog:
*equips scope to snipe soldier*
*A WILD DD APPEARS!*

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I managed to steal and dispose of some nukes and got rid of Demon Snake :toot:

It helped that I found some guy with four nukes and a very poorly defended FOB.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I found a guy with a 1 strut command platform and a nuke, so easily stole it. I tried to immediately dismantle it, and even though it said I got rid of the nuclear waste, another player immediately invaded my 1 strut platform and somehow managed to magically steal the nuke that I thought I just dismantled :confused:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Just finished Metal Archana, two things:

1. I've been struggling to figure out why I'd want to use D Walker over the other buddies, tried four times to grenade the skulls to death, DWalkers Gatling gun took all four down in under 200 rounds. Welp.

2. Metal Gear storyline: is Big Boss a bad guy? Is Liquid a good guy? Is Zero the only real bad guy? Is everyone bad except Solid and co? This poo poo is getting too shades of grey for my tastes.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Look Sir Droids posted:

Alpha Protocol is a mediocre stealth game but a great adventure game at the same time. Great characters and dialogue. You can be an rear end in a top hat to absolutely everyone in the game. Story's ok, standard spy stuff but at least no one spergs about parasite copulation for two hours.

Moola posted:

Im tempted to use cheat engine to give myself 99999 african peach

Keep in mind there are hard limits to the collectables. It'll reset to the max amount every time you load a save.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Sockser posted:

2. Metal Gear storyline: is Big Boss a bad guy? Is Liquid a good guy? Is Zero the only real bad guy? Is everyone bad except Solid and co? This poo poo is getting too shades of grey for my tastes.

Politics determine who you face on the battlefield. And politics are a living thing. They change along with the times. Yesterday's good might be tomorrow's evil.

So there's no such thing as an enemy in absolute terms. The enemies we fight are only in relative terms, constantly changing with the times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Keep in mind there are hard limits to the collectables. It'll reset to the max amount every time you load a save.

urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Locked thread