Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loiosh posted:

I really don't know about EVE, I don't follow it. I'm kinda thinking that players will complain either way, though there are a couple of systems designed to help with this, especially waiting on the larger ships.

#1 There's a rental system (REC) which allows players to rent and fly NPC-owned ships or do contract jobs on ships they do not own.
#2 The material and build system for the economy will offer jobs to players. If you have a Javelin that you're waiting on being built, you can take guild / merchant contract missions and help those delivers to decrease your build time.
#3 Dispatch missions (bounties and rewards for recovering stolen ships and property)

There's a lot of ways of tackling this kind of issue so players feel like they still have something to contribute above the three examples above that I directly know of. The more systemic your gameplay and design, the more ways you can make use of that interaction. Also, the more ways it can go wrong, of course, and it takes testing to find those cases and adjust for them.

Players don't complain about it in EVE because the game has been around for a decade and it is a brutal, unforgiving experience. As for your bits:

1. REC is for Arena Commander, not the actual game universe.
2. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that you can do anything to reduce your delivery time. The insurance mechanic is one of the least understood aspects of the game. If you have a source I'd love to hear it.
3. There is no evidence that a dispatch mission would result in a player getting their property soon. Again, if you have a source I'd love to hear it.

If a player loses their ship they will have the ability to do other things while they wait. I actually like the insurance mechanic from that perspective. It provides a meaningful penalty of death while not being a crippling loss, especially if that also includes having to return to your "home" system where the ship will be delivered to. The problem is that mechanics that are beneficial to the game don't work when you've sold someone their ship. You think someone who paid $2500 for a Javelin is going to be okay if it takes a month to get a new one? CIG's actions are what's going to harm them more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
You can't attach the label "innovative" to anything that hasn't been done before. A lot of stuff hasn't been done before because it's a bad idea or not feasible given the constraints of the project. Do you see where I'm going with this?

A lot of the time CIG aren't being innovative they're being unrealistic and dumb.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

lol this is so sad.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Madcosby posted:

I agree MMO's change. But the problem is they're already selling concepts without a solid design. It's not like an MMO beta where people are playing equal characters. This game has a buy-in power system.

When you sell insurance on day - 1, you should have a complete understanding of how it'll be implemented on day 0.

Scraping insurance and starting over is actually a good plan. Now try it when people have spent 1000's of dollars on it

They had a solid design idea at the larger level. Aka, the ships would have these kind of systems (CPU, heat generation, power, and signal emission), and bits of the ship would be simulated more like large aircraft (so avionics computers, weapons control, multiple crew members, C&C, etc). So, they were selling ships that were designed. Certainly not finished, as we've seen some of them go through multiple revisions. The Constellation, for example, has had 3 revisions. I've pointed in this past how this kind of thing happens in games in general, but we do not see it that often (using Halo's gameplay as an example).

You're correct that not having a clear plan for insurance is concerning for some, though I would disagree that it's a major issue. These are the kinds of things that alphas are good for, figuring out what makes sense and what doesn't. How difficult should a ship hijack be? Will fraud be a major concern or will it be focused to a small group of gamers? Etc.

One thing to remember is that on the software side, we have much better tools for digging into big data (tracking fraud as an example) than there was even when I was involved in it. A lot of companies use Deep Learning tools to note and learn how to identify incidents that people would have trouble tracking down. Blizzard, for example, uses a DL system that is trained to track gold selling.

Having said that, it's the kind of thing that'll have to be tackled with exposure.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bat Ham posted:

So I've been following the SC drama over the last month or so out of the same morbid love of insanity as the rest of you, but there's something I still don't get, especially now that CIG are outright calling the ship purchases 'sales' and not 'pledge rewards' anymore.

When the game finally launches, I assume it will function like any other game ever and people who just buy the thing and play it will be able to gain (in-game) the same ships that they're selling for stupid amounts of money right now, right? I mean the big ships could take ages to grind up to, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few variants that were left backer-exclusive, but they'll largely still be there, right?

Is that the case? Or are people still going to have to buy the ships with real money, either through DLC or by going the old MMO route and making them so ludicrously expensive in-game that people just wind up paying for 'credits' to get the good ships if they don't want to grind for 3 years?

I know that there's a few whales who don't care either way and are just outright funding it because they have nothing left in their own lives and are stuck in a sunk-cost fallacy. But for the rest of the people who are still backing it (for a few hundred dollars, say), are they buying the ships just to skip a few days of grind?

But if the ships are going to be paywalled in some way then wow, that will go down with the wider world as the biggest dick move in game publishing history. I don't know which is worse.

You'll be able to get any ship in game.

The problem is that apparently croberts and crew have never ever played an mmo before, because their ship pricing (which is supposedly currently heavily discounted relative to what they'll cost in game currency) means that even low/mid end ships would require a level of grinding not even seen in Korean MMOs, or players that shelled out hundreds/thousands for pixel ships will feel massively ripped off.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

FrankieGoes posted:

You'll be able to get any ship in game.

You're making a pretty serious assumption here friend...

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Loiosh posted:

Snarky answer: I guess it's good most goons are looking to get out of SC then :)

If SC does get released (It won't) then goons can just pay their $30 or whatever and signup to an infinite grief engine. You should check out the Pathfinder MMO if you want to learn about stealable assets and why it's a bad idea.

Loiosh posted:

But honest answer: If there was no innovation than why is Derek saying SC is impossible? You'd think those two would be conflicting. A game that is based on an existing gameplay would not be impossible to build, I mean, E:D and EVE are already out, right? (The snarky answer here is hey, Chris sucks at game dev he couldn't even make an E:D, which I guess if you think that's the case, I don't have much useful input).

It's the ship Hijacking part, with multicrew disabling an enemy ship, boarding it and fighting in an FPS style to steal it. That in itself is a $100 million dollar game. But say we treat that as window dressing, what's the fundamental mechanics of the game. You fly about in a space ship, doing glorified fetch quests and making money to buy the next biggest spaceship. There's nothing new in that at all. Getting your ship hijacked is pretty much the same as having it destroyed for you, you're dead and your ship is gone, all pretty standard stuff. All hijacking ships does is break the economy when you have ship replacement insurance. Though they don't have an economy to break so who cares right?

Loiosh posted:

There's a lot that has not been tried before, above the basic systemic design of the ships and how complexly stimulated they are, the intent of an open world with a large simulated economy like this is something I'm not aware of in other games. EVE has the closest setup, which is entirely player driven and based on, am I correct on this Beer, a tiered build?

Tier 1 assets - mining ore)
Tier 2 - Refining
Tier 3 - Component building

SC is looking to do something similar, but to make the economy driven mostly by simulation instead of player intervention. And on top of that do the complex stuff like EVAs and more involve ship simulation with actual built interiors with physically modeled components that can be replaced, damaged, and stolen.

But I mean, if you think that all is already done and out there, I don't even know what to think about that beyond disagreeing.

EVE has an NPC backed economy to some degree but it's mostly player run. Lots of games have simulated economies, that's a lot easier to manage than an actual player driven economy where you actually have to care about fraud and forced scarcity being abused by players. I'm nost sure why you think simulated economy is a good thing, it's the lazy option and ruins any kind of immersion in an MMO as a trader or manufacturer.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

blueberrysmith posted:

You're making a pretty serious assumption here friend...

code:
if(game)==true {
	 yes;   }

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Players don't complain about it in EVE because the game has been around for a decade and it is a brutal, unforgiving experience. As for your bits:

1. REC is for Arena Commander, not the actual game universe.
2. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that you can do anything to reduce your delivery time. The insurance mechanic is one of the least understood aspects of the game. If you have a source I'd love to hear it.
3. There is no evidence that a dispatch mission would result in a player getting their property soon. Again, if you have a source I'd love to hear it.

If a player loses their ship they will have the ability to do other things while they wait. I actually like the insurance mechanic from that perspective. It provides a meaningful penalty of death while not being a crippling loss, especially if that also includes having to return to your "home" system where the ship will be delivered to. The problem is that mechanics that are beneficial to the game don't work when you've sold someone their ship. You think someone who paid $2500 for a Javelin is going to be okay if it takes a month to get a new one? CIG's actions are what's going to harm them more than anything.

I'll have to dig through when I'm home. I've been watching the chat to keep up on the changes that kinda slip through, so I'll take a look and source those for you. I could be incorrect on my memory and those could just be ideas I was thinking of as ways to solve it.

To your latter point: I think it really depends on the player. I know I'm not going to be too upset if someone takes one of my ships. My hope is to play well enough to not encourage that kind of problem, but I'm not going to cry about losing a 890j, as an example. It'll get replaced eventually. In the mean time, I can hang out with my buds and do mining with my husband or fly people around in a Connie.

I'm not saying all players will be that way, but I think there's a pretty good chance that someone throwing down $2,500 3 years before a game comes out knows that it is a donation for development, not a promise that all life in the game will be easy because they have a 15 person crew ship at the start.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

lol this is so sad.

That's pathetic. We already gave Karl the link to Bootcha's podcast interview where he talks about it.

Sooner or later it will be obvious to him that's it's not deniable, and then the narrative will shift instantly to "It doesn't matter that that idiot wanted out-- he always wanted it to fail and CIG is better off without having a hater goon owning shares and causing embarrassment for them!"

As if anyone could cause more embarrassment for Star Citizen than Chris and Sandi already have...

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Aramoro posted:

It's the ship Hijacking part, with multicrew disabling an enemy ship, boarding it and fighting in an FPS style to steal it. That in itself is a $100 million dollar game. But say we treat that as window dressing, what's the fundamental mechanics of the game. You fly about in a space ship, doing glorified fetch quests and making money to buy the next biggest spaceship. There's nothing new in that at all. Getting your ship hijacked is pretty much the same as having it destroyed for you, you're dead and your ship is gone, all pretty standard stuff. All hijacking ships does is break the economy when you have ship replacement insurance. Though they don't have an economy to break so who cares right?

There is much else to do, assuming the game ever comes out. Just as an example, you haven't even mentioned the primary reason I'm interested, which is doing commercial transport. There's also mining (which my husband is a huge fan of) and player economic activities like building components (another favorite of his). For me, I like the idea of doing scavenging/salvage missions when I'm tired of dealing with people.

There's a lot of proposed activities that are in there.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

There is much else to do, assuming the game ever comes out. Just as an example, you haven't even mentioned the primary reason I'm interested, which is doing commercial transport. There's also mining (which my husband is a huge fan of) and player economic activities like building components (another favorite of his). For me, I like the idea of doing scavenging/salvage missions when I'm tired of dealing with people.

There's a lot of proposed activities that are in there.

You can do this in Euro Truck Simulator

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loiosh posted:

I'll have to dig through when I'm home. I've been watching the chat to keep up on the changes that kinda slip through, so I'll take a look and source those for you. I could be incorrect on my memory and those could just be ideas I was thinking of as ways to solve it.

To your latter point: I think it really depends on the player. I know I'm not going to be too upset if someone takes one of my ships. My hope is to play well enough to not encourage that kind of problem, but I'm not going to cry about losing a 890j, as an example. It'll get replaced eventually. In the mean time, I can hang out with my buds and do mining with my husband or fly people around in a Connie.

I'm not saying all players will be that way, but I think there's a pretty good chance that someone throwing down $2,500 3 years before a game comes out knows that it is a donation for development, not a promise that all life in the game will be easy because they have a 15 person crew ship at the start.

You're assuming a level of maturity and reason that, in my opinion, is utterly and completely unwarranted for this community. You seem like a pretty chill person who articulates an opinion in a respectful and thoughtful manner. Using your behavior as a rubric for how the average backer will respond is like basing the behavior of a kindergarten class on the actions of the teacher.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Madcosby posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm referring to flying passengers. If you read back in my history you can see some details, but I was big into the FSX+PMDG+VATSIM side of doing simulated commercial transport. It's something that is entirely not covered in modern games, especially the crew/passenger management portion, which is what I most enjoy. And yes, I'm well aware I'm a pretty far outlier in terms of my interests :)

Having said that, ETS is good fun, though not my kind of thing.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Madcosby posted:

You can stick big horns on the top of your rig for :gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP in ETS2 too

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You're assuming a level of maturity and reason that, in my opinion, is utterly and completely unwarranted for this community. You seem like a pretty chill person who articulates an opinion in a respectful and thoughtful manner. Using your behavior as a rubric for how the average backer will respond is like basing the behavior of a kindergarten class on the actions of the teacher.

If Karl's anything to go by, SC's doomed. In general though, Concierge people tend to be pretty laid back. Life gets... unfairly easier (hello privilege) when you have enough income to make it so.

The person you really want to look out for is the 24-year-old who put $1,000 on a credit card to buy an Idris. That's the kind where the real problems will come from (entitled gamers!).

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i wish star citizens never learned the term disposable income

if it's disposable I can throw it away :derp:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loiosh posted:

If Karl's anything to go by, SC's doomed. In general though, Concierge people tend to be pretty laid back. Life gets... unfairly easier (hello privilege) when you have enough income to make it so.

The person you really want to look out for is the 24-year-old who put $1,000 on a credit card to buy an Idris. That's the kind where the real problems will come from (entitled gamers!).

The Wuldge is the obvious counter to your assertion about sperg whales, but then again I never bothered with concierge. We do agree on Karl though.

My latest theory is that SQ42 is going to come out and it's going to be okay, but not particularly amazing, and everything that Chris emphasizes will be overblown and overworked. SC will be a disaster.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Let's say it takes even an hour to get your new ship. How are you supposed to dogfight? How many players would sit around playing Battlefield if you only spawned once an hour?

Is the pvp stuff going to be completely separate with its own respawn mechanic or do they intend to systematically depopulate the game every few hours?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Loiosh posted:

In my day ships were three for a quarter, shaped like triangles, and shot one pixel pewpews and when you died, you died and we loved it!

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

frozenpeas posted:

Let's say it takes even an hour to get your new ship. How are you supposed to dogfight? How many players would sit around playing Battlefield if you only spawned once an hour?

Is the pvp stuff going to be completely separate with its own respawn mechanic or do they intend to systematically depopulate the game every few hours?

We seriously have no idea. The carebears and self proclaimed hardcore "ace" pilots are demanding that replacement times be very long on the assumption that their ship will never get destroyed. Meanwhile CIG actually wants a populated game server, which means fast replacement times. So of course CIG has not said a word about it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

frozenpeas posted:

You're not. If you lose your ship you're going to respawn in a medical bay. If the medical bay is on a planet then you get to figure out how to get to your hangar in order to either get another ship from there, or to wait until your reimbursement arrives. Alternatively you can do odd jobs from ship to ship while you try to fly home.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Just curious, with regards to ship rebuilding times and the effect of insurance:

Do you think CGI hasn't said much because they haven't fleshed it out, or because they're aware that making any declaration now may affect ship sales?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Madcosby posted:

Just curious, with regards to ship rebuilding times and the effect of insurance:

Do you think CGI hasn't said much because they haven't fleshed it out, or because they're aware that making any declaration now may affect ship sales?

Both. They probably plan on figuring out the replacement times later, but won't even say THAT because it may affect ship sales.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Madcosby posted:

code:
if(game)==true {
	 yes;   }

code:
if(game == true)
{
	yes;
}
:argh:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

frozenpeas posted:

What Eldragon says, but for people who want to JUST PVP without loss, that's what Arena Commander will be. It's basically (supposed to be) a multiplayer game within the SC universe that pilots practice on.

So in addition to having the large MMO where you do your MMO thing, there's also Arena Commander where you can gently caress around in the quicker PVP gameplay.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

My company is mad, not in a OMG WHACKY way but just in the diversity of the work done, example, this couple of weeks or so I have been involved in:

2 website builds
API integration from Amazon to a courier
Sourced local street food vendors for an event
Popcorn machine
Promoted 3 live music events
Designed a couple of logos
Designed and presented to a record label for album artwork
Designed and presented a range of product labels for a cosmetics company
Created social media for a VR game company
Music and video production, corporate vid, good music

I think I've heard of you guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKaPN-0NcM

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Loiosh posted:

What Eldragon says, but for people who want to JUST PVP without loss, that's what Arena Commander will be. It's basically (supposed to be) a multiplayer game within the SC universe that pilots practice on.

So in addition to having the large MMO where you do your MMO thing, there's also Arena Commander where you can gently caress around in the quicker PVP gameplay.

I suspect AC will be a depopulated ghost town as soon as the PU starts up. Why play in practice mode when you can play the real thing. Players have zero incentive to just gently caress about in AC with the exception that they want to try an expensive ship before they buy it. And if CIG tells players waiting for their ship to be replaced "go play AC" players are going to be pissed.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tank Boy Ken posted:

code:
if(game == true)
{
	yes;
}
:argh:

im an ideas guy

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Eldragon posted:

I suspect AC will be a depopulated ghost town as soon as the PU starts up. Why play in practice mode when you can play the real thing. Players have zero incentive to just gently caress about in AC with the exception that they want to try an expensive ship before they buy it. And if CIG tells players waiting for their ship to be replaced "go play AC" players are going to be pissed.

It'll be depend. It'll be great for Orgs/Corps to practice tactics in. I could totally see (assuming SC comes out) tournaments running in it as well. I'd see people playing it like World of Warships. It's kinda fun sometime to just run around and shooty shoot. It's certainly the only way I'll ever PVP.

I'm going to totally be a little merchant running bitch.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
hmm Im leaving soon for the weekend..Ill miss the stream and when I come back I guess Ill have to catch up on 1000 pages. (I not going to read this stupid thread when Im away, of course).

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

1500 posted:

Its a copy,

Supposedly there is some all knowing insurance agency that knows when you have been naughty or nice. Also the cost of making an "illegal" ship "legal" is supposed to be almost the cost of a new ship anyway.

What's the difference between a legal and an illegal ship, in practice? Also, loling if in a world were such things as the legality of your ship ownership make a practical a difference the authorities would be willing to recognize your theft... for a price.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
I am so HYPED for the sale!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Citizen posted:

Lets throw down some bets on 2.0 announcement on the live stream. If there is no date confirmation I might kick a baby. I'm betting on Friday. CIG PLS... (Also I'm drunk and in Asia, CIG please make my life better when I wake up)

Another Citizen posted:

They will continue to imply that it is right around the corner, as they have been doing since Gamescom. Prior to that, they spent the whole year implying that FPS was right around the corner. It never materialized- it is a safe bet that 2.0 will not materialize either.

"Early 2015", October 2014- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-03-star-citizen-first-person-shooter-gameplay-unveiled[1]

Demo of FPS Gameplay, November 2014- https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14269-FPS-Demo[2]

"In Spring", January- http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-release-schedule-dates-fps-mode-and-s/1100-6424807/[3]

Nearing release, March- http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizens-fps-module-nearing-release/[4]

Weeks away, July - http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/star-citizen-fps-module-weeks/[5]

Also July - http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/18/8998749/star-citizen-star-marine-release-date-gamescom[6]

Whoops! Delayed "Indefinitely", June - http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/30/8871167/star-citizens-fps-module-delayed-indefinitely[7]

But that's okay because now 2.0 is coming soon, October - http://wccftech.com/star-citizen-alpha-20-detailed-coming-bringing-persistent-universe-200-quadrillion-cubic-kilometer-universe/[8]

It's going to be out right after Gamescom! - http://www.pcinvasion.com/comiccon-brings-more-star-citizen-info-new-arena-commander-after-gamescom[9]

Really soon- http://wccftech.com/spectacular-multi-crew-mission-from-arena-commander-2-0-demoed-star-citizen/[10]

REALLY REALLY SOON- http://www.crossmap.com/news/star-citizen-release-date-news-and-update-new-alpha-2-0-version-coming-soon-22470

When you lay it all out like that, it's kind of nuts.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Imagine having the intention to buy literally anything during this sale.

Just imagine.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

Peter I really hope you are going to be shitposting all throughout this...

loving hell!
That is awesome :)

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

What's the difference between a legal and an illegal ship, in practice? Also, loling if in a world were such things as the legality of your ship ownership make a practical a difference the authorities would be willing to recognize your theft... for a price.

Basically if it's flagged as stolen or not to the UEE. If it's flagged as stolen and you get scanned, they'll attack (supposedly) to try to kill you and recover the ship. And yes, that will happen, not so much bribing (Rebel Galaxy style), but more about getting a clean registration and all that. It'll cost, but the option will be there.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

They expect ships to be hijacked and stolen and have gameplay ideas for how to reward and punish those activities. It doesn't matter if it's your buddy. He's still having a ship that cannot be used in UEE space (which is great for pirates/mercs). He'll also have to replace the avionics and computer systems since those modules are locked to the owner.
In that case how can the ship be stolen? Either it's flyable or it's not.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
she is a cat of significant dancing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Sarsapariller posted:

When you lay it all out like that, it's kind of nuts.

...bu...but this time when they say soon they'll really mean it!

I literally have no idea what it will take for the faithful to question Christ Roberts. Logically you would think that it would have happened by now, but plenty of them keep on believing. :shrug:

• Locked thread