Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How much to get a Bane-posting meme reference NPC in the next expansion? Or did I miss my chance to spend money on a dead meme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

rope kid posted:

Also in the next patch, immunities and resistances will be displayed on critter tooltips.
Ok I have to say this is a great QOL improvement thank you.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Unearthing forgotten techniques

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Furism posted:

In the second part of the expansion we are introducing a larger slice of vithrack culture. Players will encounter brutes and luminaries, two distinct classes of vithrack. While brutes build and feed the colony, luminaries are its scholars and historians. Both varieties can be formidable foes for adventurers who encroach upon their territory.

Man, I hope we can talk to the vithrack instead of having them be cannon (arquebus?) fodder- hell, I'm hoping for the Barbarian to be an 11th hour vithrack reveal.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Man, I hope we can talk to the vithrack

You already can, though? Actually, most Vithrack encounters in the game feature some talking time, IIRC.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That's what I get for posting on less than 4 hours of sleep; I meant I want to explore vithrack society and stuff. I want to walk around a vithrack town, buy vithrack weapons and armour, sleep in a vithrack inn, declare my inner bugpersonness to all and sundry.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

rope kid posted:

BTW, there's a missing Weapon Specialization bonus in the damage breakdown, but Brian's fixed it since I took that screenshot. Also in the next patch, immunities and resistances will be displayed on critter tooltips.

this is really awesome!

Would it be possible to also get a small text saying what type of creature it is? e.g. kith, vessel, spirit and so on. I know it can be looked up in the cyclopedia, but it would be nice to have it easily available, since some abilities are very specific about the type they target.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
What's a decent race/statline for a Monk? I've read some super min-max guides that imply Moon Godlike are really good Monks on account of the endurance regen, and to basically nuke Int to get 18 Might/Con/Dex, but that sounds maybe a little excessive for Normal mode.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Moon Godlike is good, yeah. But anything goes, really, only Wood Elves are obviously pointless.

The Monk's fists have high base damage for how fast they are, so I'd invest in Might pretty heavily.
I'd put a few points into Con, but going up to 18 seems like overkill. During my first PotD playthrough, I had a Moon Godlike Monk with 10 Con, and that wasn't always enough. I probably would have wanted 12 for him. You can also simply give your Monk a Second Chance item (Edit: which revives a character that gets knocked out the first time), of course.
Some people have posted calculations regarding attack/action speed that makes it seem like Dex has diminishing returns, basically. And you can already get extra speed via Swift Strikes and Two-Weapon Style. Dex is still a good stat, but probably not worth maxing out.
Perception isn't bad for a Monk because you get a lot of abilities that can trigger secondary effects (Stun, Prone) on attacks, and extra accuracy helps both the attack and the secondary effect to connect.
I don't know why you'd dump Int on a Monk, they deal out a lot of status effects and have a lot of timed abilities as well. I'd probably leave it at 10 or put a few leftover points into it.
I'd leave Resolve as it is or even lower it by a few points. Lowering Deflection and Will at the same time can hurt, but on the other hand the Monk gets more out of Con due to the Wound mechanic and can use Int, class abilities and items to raise the Will defense.

rope kid posted:

Also in the next patch, immunities and resistances will be displayed on critter tooltips.
That's awesome, especially since it looks like that information doesn't need to be unlocked like normal bestiary stuff now.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 19, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

rope kid posted:

Oh gently caress yes!

I mean that really should have been something included from the get go but better late than never!

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Yeah, Normal should be pretty easy regardless, but as a good guideline for non min/maxed dps/tank something like ~16 might, ~16 con, rest on either Per or Dex, with the other one, Int, and Resolve at around 10. Per is probably beter than Dex for a first time main character because most conversation options are either Int, Per or Res.

You can just go for whatever race you want, but Moon and Fire Godlikes are probably the best for a typical monk. Moon because of the extra survivability, Fire because Turning Wheel and Lightning Strikes increase Battle-Forged damage. Hearth Orlans are the best for crit based builds, as usual.

Monks need basically every stat, and Int is usually dropped only because it's the least painful to give up on a typical dps/tank monk, and even then it's still kind of annoying because you need to constantly reactivate Swift Strikes.

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 19, 2015

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Frankosity posted:

What's a decent race/statline for a Monk? I've read some super min-max guides that imply Moon Godlike are really good Monks on account of the endurance regen, and to basically nuke Int to get 18 Might/Con/Dex, but that sounds maybe a little excessive for Normal mode.

Moon godlike is almost certainly best. I don't find Con super important, especially for moon godlike, though you definitely don't want to dump it. 10-12 is okay. Might is your most important stat. Monks are a rare case in that a lot of their damage multipliers stack with might, weapon modifiers, savage attack, etc. And might is very helpful for the moon godlike heal anyway. You want as much as you can get. For the other stats, it's to taste. Dex is important if you want to focus on damage through turning wheel and torment's reach. Int and perception are important if you want to focus on utility with stunning blows and force of anguish. Resolve is important for any frontliner, especially early on before you get tons of recovery time reduction. My most powerful monk was a sword and board torment's reach spammer with a bashing shield. He was pretty weak early, but at late levels he was almost completely indestructible and put out absurd amounts of damage. My stat spread was max str/dex 10 everything else.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My Monk build when WM Part 2 comes around will be:

Moon Godlike

18 Might
16 Con
10 Dex
16 Perception
09 Intellect
09 Resolve

Gwisk Glas (second chance armour), Durgan Purgatory Sabre/Durgan Resolution Sabre (Superb/Superb)

Two Weapon Fighting
Vulnerable Attack
Savage Attack
Apprentice Sneak
Weapon Focus
Lightning Strikes
Bull’s Will

Torment’s Reach
Turning Wheel
Swift Strikes
Duality of Mortal Presence
Crucible of Suffering
Dichotomous Soul
Iron Wheel

Basically just a Torment's Reach spammer but very effective. Not sure if they've fixed the bug where Iron Wheel/Turning Wheel don't stack.

Before getting Durgan Sabres it's probably best to go dual fists with Saint's war armour.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Turning and iron wheel stacked fine on my character. Maybe that issue was only affecting specific players? Also, I went with resolution on my monk, but bittercut is seriously worth considering. Monks have a lot of trouble overcoming DR and being able to deal corrode damage helps with that a lot. Double dipping spirit of decay with corrosive lash is pretty nice also.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

frajaq posted:

I mean that really should have been something included from the get go but better late than never!
Unfortunately, everything takes time.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
rope kid is the best. I've enjoyed this game quite a bit!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Snicker-Snack posted:

Per is probably beter than Dex for a first time main character because most conversation options are either Int, Per or Res.

Monks need basically every stat, and Int is usually dropped only because it's the least painful to give up on a typical dps/tank monk, and even then it's still kind of annoying because you need to constantly reactivate Swift Strikes.
Yeah, it's not a bad idea to have one of the dialogue stats at a decent level, at least for a first playthrough.
I can see shaving a few points off of Int when you're just after damage and tanking, but especially for a main character I'd personally want to make good use of stuff like Force of Anguish, because pushing a button to make a Xaurip fly across the room is fun.

If I'd build a DPS/disabling Monk now, it'd probably look more or less like this:

18 Might
12 Con
13 Dex
15 Perception
12 Intellect
08 Resolve

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ratchild13 posted:

rope kid is the best. I've enjoyed this game quite a bit!

It's a very good RPG. I just wish the market existed for a project like this large enough to employ the whole company. Plus imagine a game like PoE with a $40 million budget...

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I think if we can increase the quality of the gameplay, primarily through better encounter design, feedback, and pacing in combat; better choice and consequence in stories/quests; and better/more open exploration, future installments can reach a bigger market.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

The Sharmat posted:

It's a very good RPG. I just wish the market existed for a project like this large enough to employ the whole company. Plus imagine a game like PoE with a $40 million budget...

The same thing, but with full voice acting?

Considering what they accomplished with $5-ish million, I'm not sure how they'd even spend $40 million on a 2D isometric game. Pillars could have used an extra couple of million to flesh out the final act and make the stronghold interesting. Other than that, I don't know what you'd dump cash on.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We always need more programming resources, especially now that we're looking at re-engineering so much.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Airfoil posted:

The same thing, but with full voice acting?

I was thinking significantly more branching myself. Like crazy, TW2 style branching, but more so. But that's even more niche. Also just a lot more of everything. There's really not that much content wise to the story and companions. Also I see people complain about encounter density a lot. If they had more money they could make more areas, spread things out more.

EDIT:

rope kid posted:

I think if we can increase the quality of the gameplay, primarily through better encounter design, feedback, and pacing in combat; better choice and consequence in stories/quests; and better/more open exploration, future installments can reach a bigger market.

Maybe adding more companion and main story content, combined with the "Story Mode" thing, could bring in that audience while financing development for the more dungeon crawley crowd?

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 19, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

For patch 3.0, the area designers have been assigned a list of areas (mostly late game and lower Od Nua) to remove redundant encounters and improve the ones that remain.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Sharmat posted:

Maybe adding more companion and main story content, combined with the "Story Mode" thing, could bring in that audience while financing development for the more dungeon crawley crowd?
I think we can also continue increasing the difficulty/complexity of combat as long as things are communicated and paced well. Reaching more people shouldn't mean, IMO, abandoning the people who really want increased challenge.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Having "companion" content separate from "story" content has always seemed like a waste of resources to me, when merging those things together would produce the better overall narrative.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

rope kid posted:

For patch 3.0, the area designers have been assigned a list of areas (mostly late game and lower Od Nua) to remove redundant encounters and improve the ones that remain.

This sounds pretty great. I don't really like how the higher difficulties were balanced largely by having TONS OF DUDES in encounters, that plus the high density of fights in some of those later areas made them a bit of a slog.

Now that you have affliction immunities and are changing per-encounter spells, it seems pretty reasonable to trim some monsters.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

sassassin posted:

Having "companion" content separate from "story" content has always seemed like a waste of resources to me, when merging those things together would produce the better overall narrative.
That's quite true, the problem is it's kind of inherently something you have to do when designing the companions as being purely optional. Likewise I think having a blank slate player character is a hindrance to story telling, but it's a necessity for this kind of game.

rope kid posted:

I think we can also continue increasing the difficulty/complexity of combat as long as things are communicated and paced well. Reaching more people shouldn't mean, IMO, abandoning the people who really want increased challenge.
I have no idea how this stuff works in terms of cost and development time so if you can do both all the better.

Out of curiosity Rope Kid, how does adding more dialogue and story consequence and such compare to combat tuning and implementing abilities etc in terms of man hours and money? Or is that question too complex to be answerable without an essay?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

rope kid posted:

Probably you already talked about that, but will this patch be compatible with current saves? Ive just started a game :(

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rope kid posted:

:eyepop:

This is amazing, holy poo poo.

Are you taking suggestions? I'd like to nominate Galvino's Workshop. :v:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
While not as exotic as in Torment I really liked the game setting, hoping PoE 2 gets more story/plot heavy. Not a big fan of the blank stale protagonist though, maybe we could get a somewhat more defined character.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The kind of "predefined" character that would fit this game's mechanics would be about as predefined as Commander Shepard, which is to say a personality-less lump. Why even bother?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Is 3.0 going to be it for major patches?

I'm assuming that, after WM2, it's going to be hard to justify programmer time on significant Pillars 1 tweaks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Well presumably a PoE 2 unofficially exists (I mean they talked about it loosely at GDC I think?) so it's going to re-use the engine and all of the improvements.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Rascyc posted:

Well presumably a PoE 2 unofficially exists (I mean they talked about it loosely at GDC I think?) so it's going to re-use the engine and all of the improvements.

I wonder. I mean, it's probably safe to assume they'll just move to Unity 5 for PoE 2, but I get the feeling no one on the team is especially happy with it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Unity 5 has a 64-bit editor, which would help immensely due to the large size of our scenes. It also has a lot of other nice features. All engines have their trade-offs, but Unity 5 has a lot of improvements.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Sharmat posted:

Out of curiosity Rope Kid, how does adding more dialogue and story consequence and such compare to combat tuning and implementing abilities etc in terms of man hours and money? Or is that question too complex to be answerable without an essay?
Tuning combat requires coordination between (primarily) system design and area design. If those two groups don't have the tools they need to make encounters all that they can be, it requires more involvement from programming and, to a lesser extent, animation and visual/sound effect folks. But you definitely can continue to tune and improve encounters and systems more easily as the project continues and long after launch.

With dialogue and story consequences, that usually involves more up-front work and coordinated planning between designers. It's much more difficult to implement quest/story freedom and C&C into a bunch quests that have already been finished. Establishing ground rules and requirements for how quests have to work (or not work) goes a long way toward making this happen. In F:NV, I mandated that all quests had to be designed as though the characters in them only had one opportunity to speak, after which the designer must assume they would be killed (by the player). This even applies to Yes Man, who can be killed and later appears in a new Securitron body. But having that rule in place meant that we didn't have any "essential" NPCs in the game. If you decided to do that 12 months into development, after people have already made a ton of content, it would be a nightmare.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Incidentally is there any idea for how much more support PoE will get post-White March 2?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Airfoil posted:

Is 3.0 going to be it for major patches?

Well there'll probably be a patch or two to correct issues caused by the new expansion and 3.0 patch, but other than that that'll be it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

rope kid posted:

Unity 5 has a 64-bit editor, which would help immensely due to the large size of our scenes. It also has a lot of other nice features. All engines have their trade-offs, but Unity 5 has a lot of improvements.

Speaking of scenes will you stick with that beautiful hand painted look for any future PoE work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I believe that's an essential part of what our game is about.

• Locked thread