Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Benne posted:

In light of the Charlotte/Paige controversy, I have a question: Has there ever been a time that using real-life events or a death in an angle drew money or got more eyeballs on the product?

I know there are way more of these incidents. Did any of those carny-rear end death/tragedy angles actually do good for business?

I remember Meltzer talking about someone using a wrestler dying after a match to get his "heart punch" move over. I'm not sure if that actually worked or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That was Ox Baker and he was able to start riots with it so I would say it worked.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

That was Ox Baker and he was able to start riots with it so I would say it worked.

That's right, thanks!

A more recent example might be AJ Styles. He broke some necks with the Styles Clash and for like a year after everyone (the audience, the ref, the announcers) would freak out every time he went for it in NJPW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

triplexpac posted:

I remember Meltzer talking about someone using a wrestler dying after a match to get his "heart punch" move over. I'm not sure if that actually worked or not.
Yes, and it happened to him twice.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

One was an untreated ruptured appendix and the second was a blood clot from a hematoma.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

edotherocket posted:

Didn't the first few Von Erich deaths get leveraged into big box office by Fritz?

the David Von Erich Parade of Champions was the biggest house WCCW ever drew.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

One was an untreated ruptured appendix and the second was a blood clot from a hematoma.
That's what happens when you get hit by an Oriental pressure point strike.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Benne posted:

In light of the Charlotte/Paige controversy, I have a question: Has there ever been a time that using real-life events or a death in an angle drew money or got more eyeballs on the product?

Just off the top of my head: Sgt. Slaughter being an Iraqi sympathizer during the Gulf War went over like a wet fart. Orton telling Mysterio that Eddie was in hell probably didn't get more PPV buys. Hassan's goons attacking Taker was a legendary miscalculation. And Punk dumping Paul Bearer's ashes over Taker definitely didn't move the needle because everyone already bought that show for Rock/Cena II.

I know there are way more of these incidents. Did any of those carny-rear end death/tragedy angles actually do good for business?

the correct answer to this question is "WCCW in the 80's"

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Why do smarks seem to love Bailey so much?

I just started catching up on pro wrestling in 2015. After watching NXT last night Emma and Alexa were much more fun to watch. Even the final Eva vs. Bailey promo, for how little Eva did, she still did more than Bailey, who just stood there and gave her the doe eyes.

Don't get me wrong, Bailey is likable, she sells like a champ and her gimmick is cute, but I don't get the hype.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

kickascii posted:

Why do smarks seem to love Bailey so much?

I just started catching up on pro wrestling in 2015. After watching NXT last night Emma and Alexa were much more fun to watch. Even the final Eva vs. Bailey promo, for how little Eva did, she still did more than Bailey, who just stood there and gave her the doe eyes.

Don't get me wrong, Bailey is likable, she sells like a champ and her gimmick is cute, but I don't get the hype.

She's fun, and her character is clearly her actual personality turned up to 11. Her story of overcoming the odds was well-told. She's had a series of great matches.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

zakharov posted:

She's fun, and her character is clearly her actual personality turned up to 11. Her story of overcoming the odds was well-told. She's had a series of great matches.

I do get it though, she doesn't have the type of presence that everyone immediately likes. I was never as big on Bailey as others, but she grew on me. It's the kind of thing that you need to slowly build up and allow your audience to like her on their own terms, not just cram her down their throats with YOU WILL LOVE THIS WOMAN ISN'T SHE ADORABLE

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
She's also pretty much the only character designed specifically to appeal to young girls.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

It can't be said enough how powerful her underdog story is. I've gotten two of my friends, ladies who had never been interested in pro wrestling before at all, watching the NXT specials with me entirely through watching Bayley at Brooklyn.

Bayley taps into the inner mark in all of us.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Blast Fantasto posted:

She's also pretty much the only character designed specifically to appeal to young girls.

Since Jeff Hardy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

actually,

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

triplexpac posted:

I do get it though, she doesn't have the type of presence that everyone immediately likes. I was never as big on Bailey as others, but she grew on me. It's the kind of thing that you need to slowly build up and allow your audience to like her on their own terms, not just cram her down their throats with YOU WILL LOVE THIS WOMAN ISN'T SHE ADORABLE

You know that's EXACTLY what they're gonna do when/if she ever gets called up, though. Just like how likable Emma was in NXT became "IT'S SO FUN TO DO THE EMMA DANCE MAGGLE, I LOVE IT!!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

dsriggs posted:

You know that's EXACTLY what they're gonna do when/if she ever gets called up, though. Just like how likable Emma was in NXT became "IT'S SO FUN TO DO THE EMMA DANCE MAGGLE, I LOVE IT!!"

M-maybe they'll learn from their mistakes? :unsmith:

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Why is it so many people call her "Bailey"? I would've figured that even if all they're doing is asking questions because they don't know anything about her, they must have come across her name at some point. But I see Bailey everywhere. Is it a common name in the US with that spelling?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Revenant Threshold posted:

Why is it so many people call her "Bailey"? I would've figured that even if all they're doing is asking questions because they don't know anything about her, they must have come across her name at some point. But I see Bailey everywhere. Is it a common name in the US with that spelling?

That's one of my dogs names

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

If they spell it that way enough maybe speedball will just beetlejuice his way into nxt

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."
Bayley rather clearly has or had deficiencies - she's never been great on the mic and her ring work wasn't anything remarkable as recently as the Network launch. People watching NXT since they've been able to get the Network have seen her improve by leaps and bounds in the ring not only skill-wise but with her confidence as well. The awkwardness on the mic is still present, but it's kind of endearing and she's still improving there, too.

Beyond how gee gosh darn golly likeable she is, the underdog effect is a real thing - through effort and persistence she proved she belonged in the main event scene and her title reign is cathartic.

It's like what would happen if people we wanted to succeed based on their merit and effort were pushed to titles on the Main Roster. This is as good as it gets (for now/now that Daniel Bryan's farm-status is still unchanged).

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

It is - I'm not sure why so many people get it wrong for her though.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

It's also a common surname that's usually spelled Bailey

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Go watch Bayley's last two PPV matches with Sasha Banks in NXT and you'll see why everyone loves her.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Granted it was out of character, but I love that during one of the NXT Takeover conferences, Kevin Owens said that Bayley's optimism and spirit was a big motivation for him. Even heels like her!

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Maybe I just like the heels more. My pick for top women are Sasha and Paige. I'd put most the women in front of Bailey, I even would rather watch Carmella moonwalk under a clothesline than watch Bailey ground and pound.

'm extremely interested to see how this Eva vs. Bailey plays out because Bailey just cannot carry Eva. Imagine if we get a "forgot to kickout" spot into an Eva victory next week, the audience will burn the place to the ground.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Electric Lady posted:

Go watch Bayley's last two PPV matches with Sasha Banks in NXT and you'll see why everyone loves her.
Yeah, I wasn't really into Bayley until the Brooklyn Takeover. That match sold me.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Minidust posted:

Yeah, I wasn't really into Bayley until the Brooklyn Takeover. That match sold me.

Yeah, I didn't like the iron-woman match as much (maybe because of the Full Sail crowd? I dunno) but it was still very good, too. But the Bayley/Banks match in Brooklyn was incredible.

kickascii posted:

Maybe I just like the heels more. My pick for top women are Sasha and Paige.

Sasha Banks I think is the best woman wrestler on the roster by far, at least the best of the "Four Horsewomen", but in those two matches I mentioned and just in her performances in general, Bayley's proven she can hang with Banks and the rest. Charlotte's aight, I guess. Becky Lynch is my least favorite of the four. I hate steampunk.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Bayley rules.

Sasha is cool too.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

is there any particular reason behind the, "X IS PREG-NANT (NO SHE'S NOT)" chants? it's always confused me

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Tweak posted:

is there any particular reason behind the, "X IS PREG-NANT (NO SHE'S NOT)" chants? it's always confused me

They're chanting "X IS RATCHET (NO SHE'S NOT)" not that she's pregnant.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.
In my eyes, Sasha made Bayley. Don't get me wrong, Bayley is a good wrestler, but in order for her to truly shine she needed someone on a godly tier like Sasha to get her up to where she is now.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Jay 2K Winger posted:

They're chanting "X IS RATCHET (NO SHE'S NOT)" not that she's pregnant.

WELP :sweatdrop:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

In my eyes, Sasha made Bayley. Don't get me wrong, Bayley is a good wrestler, but in order for her to truly shine she needed someone on a godly tier like Sasha to get her up to where she is now.

This is true and that's not a bad thing, that's how many of the past superstars were made. Bret made Austin, Flair made Sting, Foley made Orton, HHH made Batista, and so on. It's a classic booking formula that almost always works if they choose the right person to make and follow through on that rub.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

Benne posted:

This is true and that's not a bad thing, that's how many of the past superstars were made. Bret made Austin, Flair made Sting, Foley made Orton, HHH made Batista, and so on. It's a classic booking formula that almost always works if they choose the right person to make and follow through on that rub.

Exactly. It was brilliantly done.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

I wouldn't say Sasha made Bayley, Bayley as a character was complete well before Brooklyn. Sasha's Takeover matches with Bayley made Bayley's wrestling into a stronger part of her character though. She's no longer just going to hug you, she's now able to stand up for herself and kick butt. I would argue that Sasha made Becky though. That match was almost as good and got Becky over like nothing else had.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Did the Gobbeldy Gooker ever wrestle (aside from WM X-7)? I always thought he was just supposed to be a mascot, but it seems like the IWC consensus is that this was an actual ongoing gimmick for Hector Guerrero to wrestle under.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Tweak posted:

I didn't even bat an eye that this would be something the Full Sail crowd could chant

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Did the Gobbeldy Gooker ever wrestle (aside from WM X-7)? I always thought he was just supposed to be a mascot, but it seems like the IWC consensus is that this was an actual ongoing gimmick for Hector Guerrero to wrestle under.
I don't know if they had any plans for him to wrestle, but no, he didn't. I've actually seen him excluded from some "worst gimmicks ever" lists for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Benne posted:

I don't think Foley made Orton so much as he did HHH. That run in early 2000 was what Hunter needed to really get to the next level.