Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Roland Jones posted:

I wanted to post pretty much exactly this but you beat me to it.

Wow, though, that doesn't look good.

Its probably bad for Vladok. Demons get their first name and mask by making a pact with humans. They gain power and prestige by deeds and subterfuge. He just lost a contest, which wasn't good for his name, but also forfieted in pretty much the worst way possible. His mask shattering almost certainly wasn't just symbolic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A.o.D. posted:

Its probably bad for Vladok. Demons get their first name and mask by making a pact with humans. They gain power and prestige by deeds and subterfuge. He just lost a contest, which wasn't good for his name, but also forfieted in pretty much the worst way possible. His mask shattering almost certainly wasn't symbolic.

That's true, but the thing is that the mask chains a demon's power as well as allows them to enter the physical world and such. We've already gotten ominous references to the power of the devils, and if he gets that key then losing his name and mask might not matter.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

I like the panel where the music visibly stops dead cold and literally everyone , including the other demons, is just :stonk:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Roland Jones posted:

That's true, but the thing is that the mask chains a demon's power as well as allows them to enter the physical world and such. We've already gotten ominous references to the power of the devils, and if he gets that key then losing his name and mask might not matter.
He might have given up on that key! I think Vlad's on his way to vanishing but wants to kill Alison before he does.

They aren't even in the physical world. I suspect the mask and name define the devil, too. Take them away, and I bet he reverts to being black fire.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The little bartender devil flipping off Vladok is the best part of this page.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Interesting, now Allison has a mark/key on her arm as well. It's still there in the last panel. I wonder what that will end up meaning.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Interesting, now Allison has a mark/key on her arm as well. It's still there in the last panel. I wonder what that will end up meaning.

That brand was the mark of their pact, the one Vlad just violated.

I don't think things are going to go as well for him as he'd like.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah. I doubt he's going to just disintegrate before he reaches her, so I'm wondering if someone's going to come to Allison's rescue, or if she's going to personally annihilate him somehow. Probably the former, given that the latter would almost certainly be accidental on Allison's part, but if nothing else it's fun to think about.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Wait a sec, panel 3 has at least two separate demons with Rakshasa hands.

Make that three.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh right, the parasitic bit of pure black flame, how wondered how I forgot but then realized that part was back two months ago. How time flies.

Or maybe I skimmed it too fast last time.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I would like to know more about this 'name' system, specifically how you lose names and become more powerful.

Also a bit fuzzy on exactly how the pacts work and suchlike (will Allison be carrying that mark around for the rest of the story? Do humans just sort of accumulate them?), but I'm content to let to story go on. It's weird world-building bits and bobs like this that really make K6BD a joy to read.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

RoboCicero posted:

It's weird world-building bits and bobs like this that really make K6BD a joy to read.

That's certainly true. This comic rewards re-reads a lot as well.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RoboCicero posted:

I would like to know more about this 'name' system, specifically how you lose names and become more powerful.

Also a bit fuzzy on exactly how the pacts work and suchlike (will Allison be carrying that mark around for the rest of the story? Do humans just sort of accumulate them?), but I'm content to let to story go on. It's weird world-building bits and bobs like this that really make K6BD a joy to read.

I imagine we're going to find out a lot about how pacts work, and specifically what happens when they broken, very soon. Or we're gonna cut back to 82 White Chain, which would be okay too.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

A.o.D. posted:

Wait a sec, panel 3 has at least two separate demons with Rakshasa hands.

Make that three.

They don't have backwards hands, they're just giving Vladok a thumbs-down.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

1 demon down, 5,999,999,999 to go :kheldragar:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ElMaligno posted:

Take one down, pass it around
Five billion nine hundred ninety nine million nine hundred ninety nine thousand nine hundred ninety eight demons to go!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a tangent, "Take me to that loving castle!" is a great line.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

I think a devil has to trick people who make pacts with it into naming it differently in order to drop names, and I imagine that people who summon devils has some way to add names if the pact is not upheld. So it seems like being a devil is a lot of busy work, doing bullshit they'd rather not be doing for their summoners until they find one who is off their game that they can dupe into removing one of their extraneous names. No wonder Vladok is so pissed; he's the strongest type of devil possible (which seems to have taken him ages to accomplish) and yet in the end he can still be made into a menial servant by some weak human who has no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think the implication is he's fading as an ebon and this is him saying gently caress it, I'd rather die than go down a notch through serving this midge. The red implies the name "fades" a bit back, ya?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

...hhhuh. So I just noticed: the alt-text for this page introduces "Vladok, Grandfather of Dhuutholmel". Flash forward ten pages and hey. Dhuutholmel.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Esme posted:

Look at the sword marks on the ground. They tried to come near, they just didn't get very far.

E: ^^ :argh:

Actually it looks like at least one person got close enough to put a mark on their face which wasn't there in pages before that one.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Thesaurasaurus posted:

...hhhuh. So I just noticed: the alt-text for this page introduces "Vladok, Grandfather of Dhuutholmel". Flash forward ten pages and hey. Dhuutholmel.

What exactly do familial relationships mean when you're a mass of black fiery chaos bound to a body by a name and a mask?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It means Vladok will always be there for Duutholmel with a Werther's and a quarter "found" behind his ear

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ElMaligno posted:

Two.

Although, really, are demons and devils the same thing?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I don't really know where we're supposed to recognize that fancy devil from.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Green Intern posted:

I don't really know where we're supposed to recognize that fancy devil from.

In this story? Nowhere, I'm pretty sure this is his first appearance here, he's just a past contact of Cio's or something. He apparently was a character in the proto-KSBD that was on the MSPA forums, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Roland Jones posted:

He apparently was a character in the proto-KSBD that was on the MSPA forums, though.

Yep. He filled the role of both White Chain and Cio, in that he was Allison's supernatural guide and mentor into a world of surreal zaniness.

The story itself is short enough to be read quickly, and it can be interesting just to see how the content changed and was reworked; but the MSPA forums really need something like SA has so you can filter a thread to only see one poster's comment and ignore the rest.

Here, post #206 is Oscar/Dhothuulmell's detailed introduction in the protostory.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 22, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Yep. He filled the role of both White Chain and Cio, in that he was Allison's supernatural guide and mentor into a world of surreal zaniness.

The story itself is short enough to be read quickly, and it can be interesting just to see how the content changed and was reworked; but the MSPA forums really need something like SA has so you can filter a thread to only see one poster's comment and ignore the rest.

Here, post #206 is Oscar/Dhothuulmell's detailed introduction in the protostory.

http://mspaforums.com/search.php?searchid=2151495

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Note the same thing, since you only get the first few characters from the post, stripped of their images and other tags. I suppose you could go down this link and middle-click each post to open them all in new tabs, then close the tabs one after another as you read them, but that's a lot less convenient than displaying a thread normally but with posts filtered.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I haven't seen anybody mention it yet but is that a couple of Preem Nand's creepy daughters there 2 pages back (panels 5 and 7)? Perhaps sent out to look for Cio and Allison? I'm assuming it is, what with Dhothuulmell rhetorically asking Cio if Praman is aware of her having quit.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Mentalizer posted:

I haven't seen anybody mention it yet but is that a couple of Preem Nand's creepy daughters there 2 pages back (panels 5 and 7)? Perhaps sent out to look for Cio and Allison? I'm assuming it is, what with Dhothuulmell rhetorically asking Cio if Praman is aware of her having quit.

That's the obvious implication, yeah. It's not outright stated but I'm sure that's them.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
Quick thinking Allison.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I love that Allison's superpower is being really, really good at not knowing what the everloving gently caress she's doing

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I wonder if Vladok could break his mask because he was buff and it was old and worn? Like, the absolute worst case for devil binding gone wrong.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

wiegieman posted:

I wonder if Vladok could break his mask because he was buff and it was old and worn? Like, the absolute worst case for devil binding gone wrong.

It's something all devils can do, not exclusive to Vladok. He's rejecting the fundamental imposition of order that the mask represents; although it binds him to his deals and contracts, it also gives him a relatively discrete form and personality, and shedding it is functionally a form of suicide. Any devil may elect to commit a similar act of self-destruction, but why would they, when existence and thought is preferable to being a blank mass of chaos?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I love that Allison thinks that all you have to do is slap a mask on there :allears:

It's totally going to work.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I love this comic. I love the fact she grabbed a mask and is now running toward Vladok Unbound with her screaming AAAAAAA trailing behind her.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hiveminded posted:

It's something all devils can do, not exclusive to Vladok. He's rejecting the fundamental imposition of order that the mask represents; although it binds him to his deals and contracts, it also gives him a relatively discrete form and personality, and shedding it is functionally a form of suicide. Any devil may elect to commit a similar act of self-destruction, but why would they, when existence and thought is preferable to being a blank mass of chaos?

Contrast/parallel to the white flame angels - their form and personality is tied to their essence, rather than the armor they wear, and when they die, they presumably reincarnate with a new persona.

YI

SUN

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well the Angels are made from the Cold White Flame, order in its harshest form, as opposed the chaotic Hot Black Flame which the Devils are made from. It stands to reason that they are unchanging without their armor to help them experience the universe, just as the Devils are formless without a mask to define them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Our devil-summoning friends had this mask several pages ago:

Possibly they were using it to bargain with that other devil (since it's a less-worn copy of his current mask); notice that the short, dark one is showing off his arm which is covered in devil kisses in the middle panel.