Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, the subtext (in the theatrical cut, at least) is that Dillon is killing everyone. Note that the the attempted rapist just disappears, and is never mentioned again, after Dillon decides to "re-educate" him with the big lead pipe.
Actually the rapist is killed by the Alien on-screen during the corridor chase, sorry.

Steve2911 posted:

Well gently caress. It looks like a puppet whenever it's scampering along the ground but whenever it jumps or runs along a wall or ceiling it moves differently and looks almost completely different. How did they even manage that.
That's one of the things I wish they'd taken the time to fully fix for the blu-ray release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Actually the rapist is killed by the Alien on-screen during the corridor chase, sorry.

I'm referring to the character 'Junior.'

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The guy with the teardrop tattoo? He dies in the fire later on when the trap fails. In the Assembly Cut he intentionally sacrifices himself to lure the alien into the chamber but I'm pretty sure he's visible in both versions.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My mistake, I was thinking of Gregor (who is also present at the attempted rape), but yeah as david_a pointed out, Junior's fate is still shown in the Assembly Cut.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

My mistake, I was thinking of Gregor (who is also present at the attempted rape), but yeah as david_a pointed out, Junior's fate is still shown in the Assembly Cut.

Right, but the removal of that plot-point in the (superior) theatrical cut turns the character's disappearance into pure subtext, highlighting the Dillon character's relationship to sin and punishment. That theme is present in both cuts, of course, but conveyed differently.

Keep in mind that Alien 3 is a microcosmic allegorical tale about life on Earth, where Dillion stands for The Church (and the guards stand for The State, etc.).

So, in the Assembly version, Junior the rapist is of course locked away, taking the Dragon with him. Harmony is restored until Golic opens the door, steps into the darkness, and emerges transformed into the Dragon.

The theatrical cut simply skips these steps and has these human characters vanish without any literal explanation, being replaced by the alien. But we've nonetheless established that Dillon is attempting to repress these characters' sinful behaviour through violence that is repeatedly equated to that of the alien ("I am a murderer and rapist of women."). And of course this attempt at harnessing the alien's power for 'good' is destined to fail, as what Dillon really desires is his own annihilation.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Right, but the removal of that plot-point in the (superior) theatrical cut turns the character's disappearance into pure subtext, highlighting the Dillon character's relationship to sin and punishment. That theme is present in both cuts, of course, but conveyed differently.

Keep in mind that Alien 3 is a microcosmic allegorical tale about life on Earth, where Dillion stands for The Church (and the guards stand for The State, etc.).

So, in the Assembly version, Junior the rapist is of course locked away, taking the Dragon with him. Harmony is restored until Golic opens the door, steps into the darkness, and emerges transformed into the Dragon.

The theatrical cut simply skips these steps and has these human characters vanish without any literal explanation, being replaced by the alien. But we've nonetheless established that Dillon is attempting to repress these characters' sinful behaviour through violence that is repeatedly equated to that of the alien ("I am a murderer and rapist of women."). And of course this attempt at harnessing the alien's power for 'good' is destined to fail, as what Dillon really desires is his own annihilation.

I literally just had a drawn out "Hmmmmm" while reading this post.

Also, I really love that they call the Xenomorph "The Dragon".

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Way back in the day I was staying at my 70yo nan's and was really bored so I went out and rented some videotapes. While she didn't think much of JFK, Alien cubed was a big hit with her.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Right, but the removal of that plot-point in the (superior) theatrical cut
This is the point where I stopped reading because I knew you were trolling. You tipped your hand too early, you should have saved that for the end of your post.

4/10

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

the (superior) theatrical cut

Mods?????

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

This is the point where I stopped reading because I knew you were trolling. You tipped your hand too early, you should have saved that for the end of your post.

4/10

SMG would be like the greatest poster ever if he didn't try so hard to troll people. I'm a bit partial to the theatrical cut myself (mostly just because it makes a dull movie shorter) but there was no reason to stick that in there other than to annoy folks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

lizardman posted:

I'm a bit partial to the theatrical cut myself

Mods?????

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

lizardman posted:

SMG would be like the greatest poster ever if he didn't try so hard to troll people. I'm a bit partial to the theatrical cut myself (mostly just because it makes a dull movie shorter) but there was no reason to stick that in there other than to annoy folks.

Need I remind you that you're posting on the comedy forum called Something Awful, widely known for elevating the practice of trolling to an art form?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Need I remind you that you're posting on the comedy forum called Something Awful, widely known for elevating the practice of trolling to an art form?

With posters like SMG it's pretty easy to forget.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Trolling is a fake idea.

Alien 3 is a movie that simply doesn't benefit from having more exposition. The dog is obviously better than the ox, considering its death is intercut with the "why must the innocent be punished" speech. And, also, Ripley's original death was much too tasteful. The queen popping out is a nice schlock punchline to the proceedings.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

lizardman posted:

I agree, mostly for that reason. It's a mediocre movie, and most of what the Assembly Cut adds is just more of the same mediocrity. It's more plot, but not more of anything else.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Trolling is a fake idea.

Alien 3 is a movie that simply doesn't benefit from having more exposition. The dog is obviously better than the ox, considering its death is intercut with the "why must the innocent be punished" speech. And, also, Ripley's original death was much too tasteful. The queen popping out is a nice schlock punchline to the proceedings.
I agree that there are elements of the theatrical cut that are better (the dog, the original EEV salvage, Ripley's death) but everything else the Assembly Cut adds makes the movie better overall. The Golic subplot is great, the added character development for the otherwise no-name prisoners is great, Junior's sacrifice/redemption is great, having the plan to trap the Alien actually work is a great unexpected reversal, etc.

As with all 4 Alien movies, my "preferred edition" would be a mix of the two editions of each movie included in the Anthology set.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I prefer the ox and the less gross death. Space movie opinions!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
http://youtu.be/V--gH9ayR-o 3 hour HD Aliens 2 documentary, pretty interesting stuff! Cant see the making of Promethius being as interesting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It actually is, and it's about an hour longer so...

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

CelticPredator posted:

It actually is, and it's about an hour longer so...

Got a link if it's decent? Is there a red letter media esq explanation of the film and it's flaws and good bits that's worth watching as well?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't think anyone's uploaded it. You'll have to buy the 3D collectors blu ray.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

willie_dee posted:

http://youtu.be/V--gH9ayR-o 3 hour HD Aliens 2 documentary, pretty interesting stuff! Cant see the making of Promethius being as interesting.

I'd be more interested in an equivalent documentary for Alien.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd be more interested in an equivalent documentary for Alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4aKjXhZNY

Ya'll people need to pick up the Alien Anthology blu ray. It's like, 25 bucks right now. No excuse.

I've probably watched those docs as much as I've seen the movies. They're all great. Even Alien Resurrection's!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The best thing about the behind the scenes stuff for Aliens is the development of the queen. Its got all these great interviews with Stan Winston and his team, and you get to see the queen basically built from the ground up. Its fascinating to watch the final scene knowing what went into creature, Cameron had to use all the tricks in the book to hide the fact that it was basically a giant puppet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

The best thing about the behind the scenes stuff for Aliens is the development of the queen. Its got all these great interviews with Stan Winston and his team, and you get to see the queen basically built from the ground up. Its fascinating to watch the final scene knowing what went into creature, Cameron had to use all the tricks in the book to hide the fact that it was basically a giant puppet.
The prototype test vids of the Queen are entertaining because the initial full-size Queen mockup was basically like a puppet skeleton covered in black Hefty trash bags, it's the sort of thing you'd see if people on the internet were making a "sweded" version of Aliens.

H R Giger never really stated many public opinions of the Alien sequels, but I do remember him saying that he liked the Queen very much.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He called the Aliens in Resurrection brown turd cockroaches.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

So he liked them, then.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

He called the Aliens in Resurrection brown turd cockroaches.
I will say that Giger is not infallible - his very feline-inspired designs for Alien3 were cool and all, but the designs that ADI ended up using for the movie were better (and more in-line with Giger's work with 'Alien'). Giger was trying to reinvent the wheel with his Alien3 designs, and it wasn't to the movie's benefit.

Having said that, the book 'Giger's Alien' is super cool, the images are all of his concept art for Alien, and the text is all transcripts from his diary he kept during the production of the movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Xenomrph posted:

Giger was trying to reinvent the wheel

I have no idea why you'd go to Giger if this isn't what you want.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They wanted to use his stuff, but remember the whole production was rushed so they didn't have time to go meet with Giger to create a fully collaborative design.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/11/23/neill-blomkamps-aborted-alien-sequel-wouldve-focused-on-newt

Sounds like a nightmare of garbage.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Look if we can have one star wars a year is one aliens every 2-3 years such a bad thing, you babies? This is the thinking man's sci fi franchise!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You loving rear end in a top hat, this is like you showing me a chocolate almond cake in the dumpster and being like "You're welcome, good thing they threw that poo poo out."

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I want my loving Aliens timeline split. Alien 3 and Resurrection can be categorized as Infinities. Dark Horse can issue a limited series along the lines of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles Forever where Clone Ripley and Call team up with old Hicks and adult Newt and also Billie and Wilks where all the alternate timelines converge in order to stop Skynet from stopping the first Prometheus Guy from dissolving himself.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

You loving rear end in a top hat, this is like you showing me a chocolate almond cake in the dumpster and being like "You're welcome, good thing they threw that poo poo out."
The chocolate sitting in the trash for 25 years, and would've been repackaged for your consumption.

I was just looking out for your health. Eat a different, newer piece of chocolate.

Hicks and Newt and Ripley, Dead and Loving it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its just Newt screaming "youre not my real dad!" at Hicks for 90 minutes

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Phew, that sounds like a terminally boring New Star Wars style fan fiction affair.
While Ridley Scott doesn't guarantee that the new movie will be good, at least I'm reasonably hopeful that he won't be giving the fans what they think they want.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Michael Biehn confirmed that Blomkamp's Alien movie would've pulled some Terminator Genisys retcon bullshit by bringing back Newt and ignoring Alien 3 & Resurrection.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/23/michael-biehn-blomkamps-alien-5-would-have-brought-back-newt

Shameful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

please don't recon my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I didn't see it. :smith:

But I agree with it. :unsmith: