Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I hear you and shall stop bitching about non-choices immediately.

Oh, you're fine. I didn't really read anything as bitching it just got me thinking is all. I just want people to enjoy a rip roaring adventure and not get too hung up on things. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Something weird I noticed is that Rhys' Echo Eye isn't blue anymore in the present. I wonder what happened/will happen to it?

As for now, save the bullet. All that emphasis on it means we're only getting the one for a long while, and there's better to spend it on than August.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

tlarn posted:

She's jumping and twisting backwards with a gun strapped to her forearm instead of being able to freely move it with her wrist. The physics just aren't in her favor, which, for a genre-aware series like Borderlands, means the shot will land. Take the shot.

"It's a million-to-one chance, but it just might work!"

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

TWD2 had a wealth of problems that, yeah I agree with your post RareAcumen. I feel TftB avoids most of that simply by not trying to be so depressing all the time. Rather than choices being all life and death, they're a lot more light hearted, in a sense?

IDK. It's a fair thing to be concerned about, but I think this game handles it pretty well and I hope everyone feels the same way!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've pretty much always accepted that you're not determining what happens, but how it happens.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Waffleman_ posted:

I've pretty much always accepted that you're not determining what happens, but how it happens.

I thought a well done example of that in Walking Dead Season 1 (spoilers for that, obviously) was the meat locker scene. Yeah Larry dies no matter what you do, but your choice there still makes a pretty big impact. You're either still on good terms with Kenny, or you just fractured your relationship with him big time, if you haven't already done that. And that change affects the rest of the season. The thread for that game practically treated him like 2 different people afterwards. A bro, or someone who just gets pissy at you a lot. If they can't do big choices that affect the events, those kinds of choices are what I would consider the next best thing.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
"Tales from the Borderlands" really reminds me of "Fiasco", a storytelling game published by Bully Pulpit Games.

Each character in a Fiasco game is interconnected in some way to two other characters and has a certain desire that needs to be fulfilled or some object or location that they are attached to. As play proceeds, all the characters' simple plans collide into a colossal clusterfuck and hilarity ensues.

As we've already seen, that pretty much describes this series to a tee.

Oh, and take the shot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can safely say that this heist is only the beginning. I'm so excited to see you guys experience where this goes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

TWD2 had a wealth of problems that, yeah I agree with your post RareAcumen. I feel TftB avoids most of that simply by not trying to be so depressing all the time. Rather than choices being all life and death, they're a lot more light hearted, in a sense?

IDK. It's a fair thing to be concerned about, but I think this game handles it pretty well and I hope everyone feels the same way!

Yeah, fair enough. It helps that Borderlands is a game that's pretty acclimated to people dying in a sense so it doesn't really hold that up to you as a threat that powerfully so you can deal with real choices. Like sacrificing a robot just on the bring of independent A.I or telling it to save itself. Or deciding how to prop your ideal self-image of yourself in your head while exaggerating to your kidnapper. It's not big choices that'll be put at the end of a game like harvesting children or sacrificing the town for more power but they do matter.

I just wanted to reassure you that no one's going to get Telltale fatigue because of you tricking us into putting all this thought over a gag decision. :)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

overthinking is my middle name :cool:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, fair enough. It helps that Borderlands is a game that's pretty acclimated to people dying in a sense so it doesn't really hold that up to you as a threat that powerfully so you can deal with real choices. Like sacrificing a robot just on the bring of independent A.I or telling it to save itself. Or deciding how to prop your ideal self-image of yourself in your head while exaggerating to your kidnapper. It's not big choices that'll be put at the end of a game like harvesting children or sacrificing the town for more power but they do matter.

I just wanted to reassure you that no one's going to get Telltale fatigue because of you tricking us into putting all this thought over a gag decision. :)

Yeah, it's kind of a funny dynamic to the usual Telltale choices. It's not that there's no life-or-death choices, it's just that life is ridiculously cheap in this universe.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Save the bullet. It'll be cooler/funnier when we eventually use it down the line.

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy
Save the bullet

Also I really like the game from what I've seen of it. It doesn't take itself too seriousy like TWD and it's a nice change.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Making us decide on the funny 'flavor' decisions is a good idea. That way, when we run into the decisions that do have long-term ramifications (and there definitely are a few), we'll have no way to tell.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does Vasquez still lay you out on the floor like a sleeping bag no matter what you say in the beginning?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Does Vasquez still lay you out on the floor like a sleeping bag no matter what you say in the beginning?

No, that's actually the first time I'd ever seen it and I liked it so much I stuck with it.

I would normally pick "you can't fire me, I quit!" to which he'd reply "Careful, Rhys. There's only one way out of Hyperion," and gesture towards Henderson. Something along those lines. When recording, I thought the character build up to "let's gently caress him over" would be smoother if I made Rhys come across as "you're going to pay for this". Results were better than expected.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 21, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

No, that's actually the first time I'd ever seen it and I liked it so much I stuck with it.

Oh dang.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

I would normally pick "you can't fire me, I quit!" to which he'd reply "Careful, Rhys. There's only one way out of Hyperion," and gesture towards Henderson. Something along those lines. When recording, I thought the character build up to "let's gently caress him over" would be smoother if I made Rhys come across as "you're going to pay for this". Results were better than expected.
I played Rhys, first and foremost, as a ladder climber. A mostly well-meaning one, but still primary concerned with his own advancement. So telling Vasquez to gently caress off in such direct terms didn't make sense in my playthrough.

There's a lot of different 'tones' you can go with.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
And that's another game purchased because I can't just wait for the thread updates.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

And that's another game purchased because I can't just wait for the thread updates.
See, now you just traded that for the agony of waiting for people to finally see what happens for the first time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Several of my favourite parts are near the end of the game so I'm pretty much in agony 24/7.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

A strange game. The only winning move is for everyone to play all of it, right now.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Tunahead posted:

A strange game. The only winning move is for everyone to play all of it, right now.

I really should. I only have the first episode and my PS3 pooped out right in the middle of the meeting with August and I never really picked it back up. I need all of the episodes right now. In fact, I'm going to get them now.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

See, now you just traded that for the agony of waiting for people to finally see what happens for the first time.

Nah, I've now traded it for the agony of "Oh god, please pick the options that I didn't".

Speaking of, changing my vote to Don't Shoot, for science.

I was up until six AM playing this last night. The first episode is fantastic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

Several of my favourite parts are near the end of the game so I'm pretty much in agony 24/7.

Episode 5 is probably some of the best poo poo Telltale has ever done.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
I'm voting to save the bullet too.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
We have to save the bullet for when other Vault Hunters inevitably show up because there's at least three more for Borderlands 2 (not including DLC characters), and if Zero shows up, I'm fully expecting the rest to show up at one point or another as well.

We'll have to use the bullet when there's so many bullets flying around it can't possibly make a difference.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I can't stop playing this game. I'm most of the way through episode 4. Send help.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 22, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You're screwed, sorry. Fated to be forever stuck in a state of listening to the title card songs on loop.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RickVoid posted:

I can't stop playing this game. I'm most of the way through episode 4. Send help.

You're pretty good! :ocelot:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Don't Shoot. Fiona's almost clean away now, and there's no real benefit from shooting him. That bullet might be a lifesaver later.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I wanna hear more Nolan North! Don't shoot!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Votes are closed! I counted them up and save the bullet won by a landslide. I'll be recording more footage tonight and the next episode should be up sometime in the next few days. :buddy:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

sliding into your bookmarked threads like "woah guys check it out I got a new video"

...what do you mean you don't have this thread bookmarked? You should! :(

As usual, with a new video comes :siren:A NEW VOTE!!:siren:

How fuckin' stylish do you want to look? Do you want to save your money and go with the Psycho Mask? Does the Steve Mask look passably awesome while still being affordable? Or do you want to go full hog and blow it all on the Skeletal Menace Mask? Let me know!

Voting ends Friday at 6PM Eastern.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 25, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Just get the Psycho Mask. I, personally, think it looks just as good as the others, for none of the cost!

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 25, 2015

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
sorry but we always gotta look our best so I say plunk down for the Skeletal Menace Mask

also skull

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
It's only Episode 1, and we don't want to blow through our cash so soon. Cheap out and get the Psycho Mask.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

edit: thank you kindly :cheers:

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 25, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oh yeah! I meant to ask...

How do you feel about the characters so far in the game, in a relation sense? Do you feel Rhys can trust Sasha, seeing as she has a gun and kind of totally hates Hyperion? If an opportunity came up to screw her over, do you think he would take it? Fiona can talk her way out of a situation, but how much do you think she'd try and take care of Vaughn? How to you think Rhys feels about Vaughn, and Fiona feels about Sasha? Where does Felix fit into everything? Can Zer0 be trusted?

Just trying to get a sense of how much everyone thinks of the relationships between the characters so I can better play to the thread's opinions. We're coming up on the finale of the first episode of the game, so I'm sure some stuff is going to go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Nobody is ever allowed be mean to be Vaughn :mad: He is a small precious angel that I love. Fiona seems smart enough to know that he is deserving of her protection.

Also, always vote for Steve

• Locked thread