Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I liked how no said something like "you're just a hellcat!" to Patsy.

I love it when shows find clever ways to twist Golden Age backstories and origins to make sense "in the real world" and I thought having her be a Disney-style teen star was a nice way to include her history as a romance comics character.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the Patsy character in the show but she was well integrated into the themes and story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

I love it when shows find clever ways to twist Golden Age backstories and origins to make sense "in the real world" and I thought having her be a Disney-style teen star was a nice way to include her history as a romance comics character.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the Patsy character in the show but she was well integrated into the themes and story.

She worked way better than Carol would. Either it would be all over as soon as Purple Man took control of her, or Kree/Human hybrids are immune and Kilgrave gets punched into Orbit.

Isn't the teen star angle new with the new series coming up? Admittedly, the most I know about Hellcat is she's the one who made Thanos say "drat".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Kate Leth book has the Silver Age romance books be comics that Patsy's mother wrote back during her teen modelling days, I believe, and she has to deal with the shame of them being republished in the modern day.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gaz-L posted:

The Kate Leth book has the Silver Age romance books be comics that Patsy's mother wrote back during her teen modelling days, I believe, and she has to deal with the shame of them being republished in the modern day.

I think that was already canon, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jessica Jones chat.

Well not so much of a chat as a single line.

Gimmie a red

Holy poo poo, I did not see that coming.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Jessica Jones chat.

Well not so much of a chat as a single line.

Gimmie a red

Holy poo poo, I did not see that coming.

Sending pictures has never been more wrong

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Their refusal to say "Avengers" is kind of weird, but there seems to be an inherent comedy in acknowledging the shared universe too blatantly, and I suppose they wanted to avoid that. When I watched Hulk, the audience laughed when Tony showed up at the end, and when I watched Ant-man, they laughed really hard when Scott recommended calling the Avengers. Hell, Bruce Banner and Steve Rogers' cameos in Iron Man 3 and Thor were both played for laughs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Argue posted:

Their refusal to say "Avengers" is kind of weird, but there seems to be an inherent comedy in acknowledging the shared universe too blatantly, and I suppose they wanted to avoid that. When I watched Hulk, the audience laughed when Tony showed up at the end, and when I watched Ant-man, they laughed really hard when Scott recommended calling the Avengers. Hell, Bruce Banner and Steve Rogers' cameos in Iron Man 3 and Thor were both played for laughs.

All those times they were supposed to be played for laughs. Later in Antman it was a I hosed up moment when they had to break into the Avenger HQ

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

"Awful" is a big overstatement, IMO, but they'd certainly be less awkward if the creators were less oddly gun-shy about referencing the Avengers and their members by name.

I thought this particular instance was okay because Jessica is doing it out of disrepect, she doesn't call them "the Hulk" or "Captain America" because she thinks heroing is stupid and they're grandstanding clowns.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I only have one really big problem with Jessica Jones - I think Roybn was maybe a bit too over-the-top, and I didn't really buy into her turning the rest of the survivors' group against Jess in episode 10. :shrug:

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I only have one really big problem with Jessica Jones - I think Roybn was maybe a bit too over-the-top, and I didn't really buy into her turning the rest of the survivors' group against Jess in episode 10. :shrug:

Yeah that got a 'oh god's sake' from me too

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Wheat Loaf posted:

Agreed. It felt rushed and weird.. I thought her lack of grief at finding out what really happened was weird. She just immediately kept being her weird old self. They built her up as someone who would lose their poo poo at that news but she barely did.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I generally don't see the point of characters like that who seem to have been written to be annoying. Simpson was like that a lot of the time as well, regardless of the intention.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ufarn posted:

I generally don't see the point of characters like that who seem to have been written to be annoying. Simpson was like that a lot of the time as well, regardless of the intention.

Simpson is a goddamn catastrophe of a character. While part of me was like "oh, cool" when they revealed him to be Nuke, I couldn't get past all the lame stuff that built up to it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Terrible character. I think Simpson is fine, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JJ is great but man I hate the opening theme. Wish they had used the one from the trailers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Regarding Jessica and people turning on her -- every time Jessica herself came to the survivor's group it was to grill someone for info without any regard for their feelings, then leave without a word as soon as she got it. I don't think they had a lot of love for her by the time Robyn showed up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

JJ is great but man I hate the opening theme. Wish they had used the one from the trailers.

I remember everyone gushing about the opening theme of Daredevil and talking about getting "goosebumps when it hits" and it was basically nothing. I can't even remember it now. That's really unusual for a TV-MA series.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Lurdiak posted:

I remember everyone gushing about the opening theme of Daredevil and talking about getting "goosebumps when it hits" and it was basically nothing. I can't even remember it now. That's really unusual for a TV-MA series.

I can remember it vividly. Then again I was raised Roman catholic and was an alter boy for 10 years so it really struck a chord with me v:shobon:v

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I loved the DD theme and remember it fondly

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I can remember it vividly. Then again I was raised Roman catholic and was an alter boy for 10 years so it really struck a chord with me v:shobon:v

I remember the theme songs from Angel and Brimstone and those were like 10 and 15 years ago. I dunno.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Lurdiak posted:

I remember the theme songs from Angel and Brimstone and those were like 10 and 15 years ago. I dunno.

Never watched either. Yes you can shame me

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I only bring them up because of a similar approach to the intro. (no lyrics and mournful) Now that I think of it, I guess I remember Millenium's opening too.

I watched a lot of goofy TV in my time.

E: I guess I was thinking of Brimstone's closing credits.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 22, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I have the new Apple TV so I start every episode with "Skip to 1 minute, 5 seconds."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Convex posted:

Terrible character. I think Simpson is fine, though.

It's always a bit odd when the comedic background weirdo comes and ends up doing stuff that matters in the main drama of the plot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

There's no shame in not watching terrible TV.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

There's no shame in not watching terrible TV.

Do not badmouth Brimstone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everybody happy with Mike Colter as Luke Cage?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

If you're not you're an idiot. This is RDJ as Iron Man levels of casting here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I was convinced somewhere in the middle of his first line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mike Colter is probably my favorite MCU casting besides Chris Evans.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah he's right up there with Matt Ryan when it comes to TV casting.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

zoux posted:

Yes. Perfect fit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Speaking of great casting, Foggy was cast better than I would've thought possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of great casting, Foggy was cast better than I would've thought possible.

I really disliked the actor prior to this but he's a pretty good Foggy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Even though it isn't a matter of the right "fit", Trish has perfect chemistry with JJ on the show, and I shudder at the thought of what the show would have been like without it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I have the new Apple TV so I start every episode with "Skip to 1 minute, 5 seconds."

Most Netflix apps also allow for credit skipping in binge watches (if there's no cold open) and also a d-pad press right does a 15 second skip with visuals so you can make sure you're not skipping the show.

The credits are well done but I don't need to see them every episode. I did the d-pad skip through the Daredevil credits past like the second episode.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

oh yeah, Elden Hensen knocked it the gently caress out of the park. he might be the best part of that show, honestly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh yeah, Elden Hensen knocked it the gently caress out of the park. he might be the best part of that show, honestly.

I wouldn't have cast him for the comic book version of the character, but TV Foggy is subtly different enough that he's just perfect in the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

zoux posted:

To be fair, I'm not too familiar with Luke Cage, besides a couple episodes of Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the very first issue of his series, but yeah, I think he's pretty drat good and I'm definitely looking forward to his series.