Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

stinkles1112 posted:

No. The problem is exactly that they are NOT trying to speak to an absurd caricature of the entire non-sympathetic public that irrationally hates black people, they are trying to speak to people who genuinely believe they are not racists, even though they still hold implicit biases and support a system that holds up implicit biases, and I put to you that the overwhelming majority of the population falls into the second category and COULD actually be convinced

Expanding on what Popular Thug Drink said up there, we still hear poo poo about Black History Month every year. It doesn't matter what you call the movement, because people will use the same messaging against it. "Well, really, we need to be nicer to everybody, this doesn't need to be a race thing! :downs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

CA has the best food in the nation. :colbert:

Mexican? Best.

Chinese? Best.

Japanese? Best.

Italian? Ok, we'll give that to NY.

The only thing StL County is best at is segregation and disenfranchisement.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I can't wait for one of them to rewatch It's a Wonderful Life and have Fox n Friends defend Mr. Potter.

Pretty sure that already happened. Same with Scrooge.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Expanding on what Popular Thug Drink said up there, we still hear poo poo about Black History Month every year. It doesn't matter what you call the movement, because people will use the same messaging against it. "Well, really, we need to be nicer to everybody, this doesn't need to be a race thing! :downs:"

Right, but the harder you make it for them to do that, the better and more successful your movement will be. The slogan "black lives matter" is comically easy to twist into something lovely, as we've observed. So to come back to my original point, even when some people will never be convinced, messaging matters, and "black lives matter" is decidedly suboptimal messaging.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

greatn posted:

People tend to think protest is supposed to be provocative and confrontational but I think the tea party was so successful because while their protests were stupid bullshit, they were usually out of the way and not inconveniencing anyone.

Tea party protests were successful because they were supported by the establishment and in turn supported the desired policies of the establishment.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Tea party protests were successful because they were supported by the establishment and in turn supported the desired policies of the establishment.

Tea Party protests were so successful because they gave voice to the overwhelming mood of the American electorate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Tea Party protests weren't successful.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stinkles1112 posted:

Right, but the harder you make it for them to do that, the better and more successful your movement will be. The slogan "black lives matter" is comically easy to twist into something lovely, as we've observed. So to come back to my original point, even when some people will never be convinced, messaging matters, and "black lives matter" is decidedly suboptimal messaging.

Much like it was "sub-optimal messaging" for MLK Jr to speak out against the Vietnam war :rolleyes:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The Kingfish posted:

There are these people out there called "moderates" and they don't really have strong beliefs one way or the other until you figure out how to trick them into caring about your cause.

And people here seem to forget that they're some of the dumbest loving creatures on the planet, and are easily swayed by shiny objects and catchy sloagans. Automatically shoving them into the "Irredeemably racist, so gently caress 'em." pile is counterproductive, and plays directly into the right's waiting hands. This goes for all manner of issues, from feminism to LBGT advocacy. The more sneering and condescending you are towards the easily startled sheep in the middle, the easier it is for the Right to gently caress you with their scared and willing votes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Weren't Tea Party protests relatively sparse and didn't really have many people show up? I seem to recall reports where the photos where positioned to make it seem like more people were there and give the movement more populist legitimacy. I know recent efforts have been really lack luster but I can't think it was that much more popular five years ago.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

stinkles1112 posted:

I challenge you to come up with a good slogan that couldn't be coopted or otherwise intentionally misrepresented by bigots and politicians.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Radish posted:

Weren't Tea Party protests relatively sparse and didn't really have many people show up? I seem to recall reports where the photos where positioned to make it seem like more people were there and give the movement more populist legitimacy. I know recent efforts have been really lack luster but I can't think it was that much more popular five years ago.

The protests themselves were astroturfed to hell and back with bussed-in old farts.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

GlitchThief posted:

I challenge you to come up with a good slogan that couldn't be coopted or otherwise intentionally misrepresented by bigots and politicians.

Pretty much any phrase neutral enough to not be easily twisted into offending the white persecution complex is going to be useless since it will fail to bring any attention to the fact there is inequality in American society.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Tea Party protests were so successful because they gave voice to the overwhelming mood of the American electorate.

They weren't, and didn't.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

GlitchThief posted:

Impossible. Some slogans are easier to manipulate than others though.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

GlitchThief posted:

gently caress The Police

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

They killed the Blue Dogs and won Congress for the R's by flipping a record amount of state governments during a redistricting year.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

By crashing every Health Care town hall meeting, they killed single payer in it's crib.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
"Black Lives Matter Too"

Seriously.

Edit: "Black Lives Also Matter"

BLAM!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Humans Among Us posted:

gently caress The Police

Yeah... about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WiT-c3NA0M

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

stinkles1112 posted:

"Black Lives Matter Too"

Seriously.

Edit: "Black Lives Also Matter"

BLAM!

"We Also Matter"

WAM!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

People tend to think protest is supposed to be provocative and confrontational but I think the tea party was so successful because while their protests were stupid bullshit, they were usually out of the way and not inconveniencing anyone.

Their "protests" weren't protests so much as public events in which the participants could (figuratively) jerk each other off while providing footage of people supporting the agenda of whichever astroturfer was funding the whole mess.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Our Lives Matter

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

They killed the Blue Dogs and won Congress for the R's by flipping a record amount of state governments during a redistricting year.
Just one portion of a larger right wing effort to win lower ticket races that's been going on since at least the 80s. The talked about name changes, silent majority, moral majority, tea party, it's all the same people with the usual suspects' money behind them.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Bash the Fash.

Edit: Actually it would be rad if people started crashing Donald Trump rallies and blasting this and Nazi Punks gently caress Off.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Radish posted:

Pretty much any phrase neutral enough to not be easily twisted into offending the white persecution complex is going to be useless since it will fail to bring any attention to the fact there is inequality in American society.

True. I guess it's much easier to fault the oppressed for failing to fight back correctly than is to fault the society that continues to denigrate and murder them.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

Bash the Fash.

I would enjoy watching some footage of it, that's for sure.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

GlitchThief posted:

True. I guess it's much easier to fault the oppressed for failing to fight back correctly than is to fault the society that continues to denigrate and murder them.

I mean if only marginalized people had brought up their complaints more politely the society oppressing them would certainly stop being unfair. This is corroborated by history many, many times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

withak posted:

Their "protests" weren't protests so much as public events in which the participants could (figuratively) jerk each other off while providing footage of people supporting the agenda of whichever astroturfer was funding the whole mess.

Yeah I'm saying BLM should do that.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

Bash the Fash.

Edit: Actually it would be rad if people started crashing Donald Trump rallies and blasting this and Nazi Punks gently caress Off.

actually i think you'll find that greeting the "fash" by attempting to "bash" them is not going to win any hearts and minds and perhaps you sh - *is pushed to ground, stomped on by jackboot*

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

GlitchThief posted:

Once again, "faulting the oppressed" is not what's going on here. In fact if you read closely, you might find that we're actually brainstorming about what ways might also work, and possibly even work better!, for standing up for the oppressed

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Bashing the fash is actually extremely effective propaganda though because fascist movements must appear to be physically strong.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

No Lives Matter :unsmigghh:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
They're not going to change their name, and so much focus on their name ignores that wingnuts and racists don't give a poo poo about their name, that's a convenient foil to gain supporters, they've made poo poo up about them for months as essentially massively paranoid, black supremacists, with media complicity.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

Once again, "faulting the oppressed" is not what's going on here. In fact if you read closely, you might find that we're actually brainstorming about what ways might also work, and possibly even work better!, for standing up for the oppressed

You're running into the problem of "All ideas from the oppressed are perfect and must not be criticized or changed."

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nonsense posted:

They're not going to change their name, and so much focus on their name ignores that wingnuts and racists don't give a poo poo about their name, that's a convenient foil to gain supporters, they've made poo poo up about them for months as essentially massively paranoid, black supremacists, with media complicity.

Wingnuts and racists aren't the target audience, luckily.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stinkles1112 posted:

i've got an idea: let's stop faulting the oppressed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The name of BLM just came from people using a hashtag that resonated with them, correct? No big focused group micromanaged branding strategy. Is there even an official organization that could even theoretically change the name?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

Reminder that according to conservatives black people just standing outside of polling places = voter intimidation by blacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
our polls have found that most americans find this message being delivered from a dark-skinned person to be distressing. we believe that a better course of action would be to paint the protesters in a lighter shade, or perhaps equip them with long smocks and wide brimmed hats, so that their message will not be so easily distorted by the media

• Locked thread