Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah but if he hits him that hard it'll end like the Joe B fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

EmmyOk posted:

e: An interesting shot from the end of RD 1 courtesy of reddit

I liked when chad$ knocked out everyone with an overhand right and then he hit conor with it and he literally laughed at him

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah mcgregor's chin stood up to some really big shots, chad got off a few times really well and it barely seemed to phase him

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

If Mighty Mouse hits him hard enough to make him forget he's a Dangerous Muay Thai Fighter now he would stand a chance of wrestlefucking him. It's the first time Johnson's fought a really high level wrestler.

I haven't been impressed with his wrestling so far. It seems like he gets a couple of takedowns in his fights that go absolutely nowhere then gets stuffed the rest of the time. I can't tell if he isn't pursuing them because he's fallen in love with his striking or if he just hasn't been able to transfer his skills to mma. It's weird because he's beaten good fighters but somehow has been really unimpressive while doing it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I haven't been impressed with his wrestling so far. It seems like he gets a couple of takedowns in his fights that go absolutely nowhere then gets stuffed the rest of the time. I can't tell if he isn't pursuing them because he's fallen in love with his striking or if he just hasn't been able to transfer his skills to mma. It's weird because he's beaten good fighters but somehow has been really unimpressive while doing it.

On his fight with Formiga

quote:

I am going to fight smart and get my hand raised. I am looking to do everything right. I am a dangerous fighter, man. I am ready. My plan is to win and hopefully it will be a knockout, but if not; I plan to put on a show for three rounds.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
:five:

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
when did the ufc start doing sudden death rounds?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

wiffle ball bat posted:

when did the ufc start doing sudden death rounds?

It is only for the TUF final so they can crown and ULTIMATE FIGHTER.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
They were going to do a 4th round in the flyweight tournament incase of a draw, and then there was supposed to be one in mm/McCall but someone couldn't do math

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

EmmyOk posted:

It is only for the TUF final so they can crown and ULTIMATE FIGHTER.

and the tuf finale fight occurred during fight night 78?

at one point the timer said round 2 out of 4 and then in the next round it said round 3 out of 3, it was really confusing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

wiffle ball bat posted:

at one point the timer said round 2 out of 4 and then in the next round it said round 3 out of 3, it was really confusing.

The final of TUF: Latin America Season 2 was on yeah. Normally they don't display that there's 4 rounds unless they end up using it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

wiffle ball bat posted:

I noticed that too

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
For all the problems with Pride rules, I think the Magny/Gastelum fight stands as a great example of a fight that is a fairly clear cut Magny in UFC or Gastelum in Pride kind of a win. Not that it really matters, but I've been watching through all the old Prides for the first time and sort of fallen in love with their fogginess over objective metrics in favor of more emotionally satisfying judges' calls in fights where people make good adjustments or gutsy comebacks.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lucasar posted:

For all the problems with Pride rules, I think the Magny/Gastelum fight stands as a great example of a fight that is a fairly clear cut Magny in UFC or Gastelum in Pride kind of a win. Not that it really matters, but I've been watching through all the old Prides for the first time and sort of fallen in love with their fogginess over objective metrics in favor of more emotionally satisfying judges' calls in fights where people make good adjustments or gutsy comebacks.

Also how Japanese a fighter is.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The only way I can think of that makes the "holly was holding back" thing work is that maybe their camps were less intense so she would feel fresher for preparing for Ronda? I can't imagine them really going into the fight intending to barely win. with judging being so random and the risk of lucky shots, it seems too crazy. Maybe they just shut it down in the 3rd, would have to review fights to see.

I suspect it's all BS but I've been thinking of how that would work. I know boxers get accused of coasting to wins once they've got the rounds, but that seems hard to do in a 3 round fight.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Lid posted:

Also how Japanese a fighter is.

Naturally. Kelvin seemed more Japanese than Magny to me, also.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Xguard86 posted:

The only way I can think of that makes the "holly was holding back" thing work is that maybe their camps were less intense so she would feel fresher for preparing for Ronda? I can't imagine them really going into the fight intending to barely win. with judging being so random and the risk of lucky shots, it seems too crazy. Maybe they just shut it down in the 3rd, would have to review fights to see.

I suspect it's all BS but I've been thinking of how that would work. I know boxers get accused of coasting to wins once they've got the rounds, but that seems hard to do in a 3 round fight.

Maybe it was just nerves. She is also the perfect fighter to match up against Ronda. A better striker that can keep distance and enough size that she can't be rag dolled.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Lucasar posted:

Kelvin definitely uses the Japanese weight cutting technique of skipping most of his breakfast on weigh-in day.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mewse posted:

I had a 7 day probation bet on Magny.

coconono please come accept your fate from our glorious moderator

I'm ready.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

coconono posted:

I'm ready.

godspeed :rip:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm gonna keep posting because a wise man once told me: never stop posting.

Everyone should bet on fights.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Lucasar posted:

True. Magny wins too much.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

eric posted:

Maybe it was just nerves. She is also the perfect fighter to match up against Ronda. A better striker that can keep distance and enough size that she can't be rag dolled.
it wasn't because she seemed comparatively skittish against Pennington who has literally no particular strengths

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TheRationalRedditor posted:

it wasn't because she seemed comparatively skittish against Pennington who has literally no particular strengths

That's why I thought Ronda would smash her, she didn't seem like she'd survive the bullrush. I definitely think her first 2 fights were acclimatising to the UFC and not some next level faking.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Dennis Burmudez vs. Maximo Blanco was added to the Cruz vs. Dilly Bar card. Everyone should like this for Burmudez alone, and I know for some strange reason, many of you seem to like Maximo Blanco as well.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

Dennis Burmudez vs. Maximo Blanco was added to the Cruz vs. Dilly Bar card. Everyone should like this for Burmudez alone, and I know for some strange reason, many of you seem to like Maximo Blanco as well.

Maximo Blanco sounds like the name of a luchador.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

i like him because he cheats and he tko'd that guy with knees ot the grundle

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
how on earth is maximo blanco on a 3 fight win streak. also it's good to match up two guys who keep losing despite incredible physical gifts.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Sprecherscrow posted:

Maximo Blanco sounds like the name of a luchador.

I was thinking fighting game character.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Isn't "Maximo Blanco" how Gerry Cooney's nickname translates into Spanish?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

lmao are taint strikes illegal?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the best fighter names ever are officially:

Byron Bloodworth
Scott Junk
Steve Carl

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
harry gopaul

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

david carmichael posted:

let the history books not forget that "that guy" was a high school student

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the best fighter names ever are officially:

Byron Bloodworth
Scott Junk
Steve Carl

Steve Cantwell is good, because it is accurate and prophetic.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3WaVactj5M

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
The Edmund Tarverdyan troll account twitter account is funniest thing in a while and i aploud who ever runs it . few people have alreade worked themselves into a shoot over the comments he has made.

quote:

Holly Holm gets married and doesn't even take her husbands last name. Complete DNB move

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Underrated but one of my favs

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
also we have to be clear that we're not talking about That Guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1NOvAw_hyI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013