Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
That was a side story where ONE and Murata promotes brushing and dental health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Re: superpowers

Don't forget King's the King Engine! A force so powerful it cowers weaker monsters into submission.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rexides posted:

I just love the kind of respect the manga/anime treats him with. In any other work, he would be the butt of every joke, but when looking at his world, ONE wants you to see past people's superpowers and at just their sense of justice.

Rider is the best character because hes a true Hero

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The saikyou hero.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wanna be a saikyo hero

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Terper posted:

The saikyou hero.

Holy poo poo it's not psycho

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
e: There are too many threads.

Nahxela fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 24, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Guys, wrong thread. Stop spoiling stuff.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 24, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Y'all are mixing up threads again.

I'm sorta curious how one defines a person as a monster. Like, Sonic isn't classified as a monster, presumably because very few people know of his existence. But what about Hammerhead and his group?

We've seen cases of humans becoming monsters as well as monsters who were presumably always monsters (Seafolk, Groundfolk, Skyfolk, Boros). And then there are artificial monsters like the on created by the House of Evolution. Are human criminals just referred to as monster as well, or do they need to undergo some sort of physical change?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Y'all are mixing up threads again.

I'm sorta curious how one defines a person as a monster. Like, Sonic isn't classified as a monster, presumably because very few people know of his existence. But what about Hammerhead and his group?

We've seen cases of humans becoming monsters as well as monsters who were presumably always monsters (Seafolk, Groundfolk, Skyfolk, Boros). And then there are artificial monsters like the on created by the House of Evolution. Are human criminals just referred to as monster as well, or do they need to undergo some sort of physical change?

The story goes into this in the next arc actually.

EDIT: Unforuntately Murata will probably finish drawing it in like 2020.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 24, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, actually, I recalled there being a human dude from one of the extra chapters.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man/Onepunch-Man---022-007----Special-Story?id=248630

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah criminals get ranked like heroes. I don't think there are S-rank criminals though. I guess Sonic would be considered one?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sonic is rear end-rank.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

Yeah criminals get ranked like heroes. I don't think there are S-rank criminals though. I guess Sonic would be considered one?

In the prison chapter they mention an A-rank criminal, and he looks pretty normal. Considering Sonic was wiping the floor with people in Super Prison, he has to be at least A.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say that Genos and Sonic are on a similar level, and that the two count among the weaker or mid-level S-Ranks powers.

Like, Tatsumaki is obviously high tier and Bang can take a hit from a dude who knocked off a A-rank's arm without much damage. The recent chapters show us that Metal Bat can at least fight against a Dragon level threat and he also dominated against 2 Demon-level threats once he got serious.

Meanwhile, Pri-Pri Prisoner and Genos lost against a Demon-level. Though the Deep Sea King is probably a an upper-ranking Demon-level monster.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I'm really enjoying Metal Bat's fight against those centipede monsters. His resilience and stamina is amazing, he just keeps going and going.

Goru nooo go away :( Let him finish what he started

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I'd say that Genos and Sonic are on a similar level, and that the two count among the weaker or mid-level S-Ranks powers.

Like, Tatsumaki is obviously high tier and Bang can take a hit from a dude who knocked off a A-rank's arm without much damage. The recent chapters show us that Metal Bat can at least fight against a Dragon level threat and he also dominated against 2 Demon-level threats once he got serious.

Meanwhile, Pri-Pri Prisoner and Genos lost against a Demon-level. Though the Deep Sea King is probably a an upper-ranking Demon-level monster.

Monster threat level isn't that accurate. The Seafolk should have been a demon level threat from the beginning, but the Hero Association hosed up their guess as to their power. This is especially true when Saitama is in the vicinity. There's no telling how strong the Deep Sea King actually was, because he got punched after just a few minutes of rampaging.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyges posted:

Monster threat level isn't that accurate. The Seafolk should have been a demon level threat from the beginning, but the Hero Association hosed up their guess as to their power. This is especially true when Saitama is in the vicinity. There's no telling how strong the Deep Sea King actually was, because he got punched after just a few minutes of rampaging.

Well, to be fair the initial invasion was just the minions. Given that that Stinger was able to take out 10 of 'em, I wouldn't consider an individual Seafolk to be particularly powerful.

Apparently, One noted in an interview that Sonic with his weapons could beat the dry Sea King (clown form) but not the true Sea King (fish form). I don't know how accurate that is cause I can't read Japanese myself and am relying on what other people have deduced from the interviews.

http://onepunchfun.com/archives/2485554.html (Spoilers regarding ONE's version.)
(Apparently this says that Zombieman couldn't beat the Sea King)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pri-Pri Prisoner and Genos were the lowest ranking S-Ranks available at the time after all. I think Genos could've held out longer if he hadn't gotten acided but that's just saying he could've taken him if he didn't lose so that doesn't really help at all. :v:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

Pri-Pri Prisoner and Genos were the lowest ranking S-Ranks available at the time after all. I think Genos could've held out longer if he hadn't gotten acided but that's just saying he could've taken him if he didn't lose so that doesn't really help at all. :v:

Yeah, I'd like to think Genos could have taken down the Deep Sea King in optimal conditions (Genos was able to revert the Deep Sea King back to his weakened form by evaporating all the water in his body with his incinerator) but there are a ton of maybes.

Maybe if Genos hadn't let his guard down and gotten his arm ripped off.
Maybe if that girl hadn't shouted out, causing the Sea King to spit acid at her.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Monster levels don't necessarily refer to how strong they are, just their capacity for destruction.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Monster levels don't necessarily refer to how strong they are, just their capacity for destruction.

That's true. I have a disaster level of Tiger even though it's clear my shitposting powers are actually God-level.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it would be hard to be a Dragon-level threat or higher unless you had some sort of ability in your favor. Like size (ability to wipe out a city in a single blow) or energy blasts.

Just being strong and powerful doesn't really pose a global threat if you have to kill people one at a time. Sure, if you were the strongest and most powerful creature around you could probably travel around the world and kill everyone but it would take a lot of time. Then again, maybe I'm underestimating speed. Sonic did chop off a ton of heads in a relatively short amount of time.

In terms of pure destruction, Boros is probably the only one (in the Murata version) capable of being considered to be on the level of God cause he could probably destroy the world itself with his energy blasts given enough time. I think the 2nd popularity poll said 10 days?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Another way to contextualize it: a trained boxer is definitely "Stronger" than a loaded gun, but a loaded gun has a greater capacity for causing lasting damage.

I would honestly consider Boros' ship a god-level threat all by itself, considering it's ability to annihilate an entire city in seconds, but it's obviously not "Strong" in the same way that Boros himself is strong.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We've also seen Tank Top Master throwing giant blocks of stone at the ship and those hammerheads level a skyscraper in one punch so that's really all you have to do to really be a Demon level threat. Just run around smashing buildings and highway pillars and you'll rack up a lot of deaths.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Well, to be fair the initial invasion was just the minions. Given that that Stinger was able to take out 10 of 'em, I wouldn't consider an individual Seafolk to be particularly powerful.

Apparently, One noted in an interview that Sonic with his weapons could beat the dry Sea King (clown form) but not the true Sea King (fish form). I don't know how accurate that is cause I can't read Japanese myself and am relying on what other people have deduced from the interviews.

http://onepunchfun.com/archives/2485554.html (Spoilers regarding ONE's version.)
(Apparently this says that Zombieman couldn't beat the Sea King)

Here's what it says.

-The current Sonic [1/21/2015?] could defeat the Sea King in non-rainy weather, if he were armed.
-Sonic will have further appearances
-A fight between Sonic and Genos would have no clear winner.
-Sweet Mask is 1st place in citizen popularity polls. King also places high.
-Even Prisoner can defeat the bird that rammed into King's house.
-Boros's name comes from a game One used to play.
-Genos is rather strong for an S-Rank.
-If Metal Bat had been present during the Monster Association, things would have gone down significantly differently.
-In some cases, Metal Bat can fight dragon-level monsters.
-King is about 187 cm tall.
-Tatsumaki at full health could have defeated golden sperm.
-Golden Sperm is about as strong as Tadashi from Makai no Ossan.
-Normally, Tatsumaki is stronger than Mob. If they got serious, then it's unclear.

On Zombieman:
-He can fully regenerate a lost arm in 15 minutes
-He would die if he were rendered into ground meat.
-His physical abilities are the lowest among all S-Rankers
-He would have a hard time killing the Sea King.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Must suck to be weaker than the guy who's literally a child.

Pretty surprising to hear that Genos is strong for a S-class, but then again that probably makes sense if you take his incinerator into consideration.

It just keeps getting knocked off.

EDIT: Thanks for the translations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Golden what.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Waffleman_ posted:

Golden what.

A nasty monster that pops up good bit later during this arc.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Golden what.

Something not shown in our version yet.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Boy that's a lot of ONE version spoilers being posted here, over the past day or two. Not just that translation, people were talking about Zombieman and Sweet Mask and what they do for a while before that, and a bunch of other things I, reading the Murata version, had no idea about until they said them. So that's fun.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

gnome7 posted:

No, Saitama lost to the Blizzard group. King defeated all of them to save his hide. It happens on this page, which was posted on the previous page of this thread:

I am so glad this is the case :3:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Boy that's a lot of ONE version spoilers being posted here, over the past day or two. Not just that translation, people were talking about Zombieman and Sweet Mask and what they do for a while before that, and a bunch of other things I, reading the Murata version, had no idea about until they said them. So that's fun.

You're not reading the Murata version well if Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask is new to you. Normally I'd let it slide without comment since it's hard to keep things in chronological order when the man is constantly redrawing everything but the part where HMSM first appears is literally posted again on this same page.

Oh, actually, I recalled there being a human dude from one of the extra chapters.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man/Onepunch-Man---022-007----Special-Story?id=248630

And, speaking of Murata redrawing things, did he ever change Garou's hero hit list or add text saying he'd rearrange it since the placement of some heroes differed from panel to panel?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
People have been very bad about posting OPM stuff although I guess it doesn't help that there's three threads.

I say this wouldn't be a problem if people could just give up and read ONE's version and then just happily gobble up Murata's redraw, but I guess that won't happen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Compendium posted:

People have been very bad about posting OPM stuff although I guess it doesn't help that there's three threads.

I say this wouldn't be a problem if people could just give up and read ONE's version and then just happily gobble up Murata's redraw, but I guess that won't happen.

Dear VEGETA, I never thought this would happen to me

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, that side chapter also made me wonder how much heroes make.

Do you get a set salary or is it based on accomplishments or is it both?

Fubuki's group seems pretty hard-up for cash despite being made up of B Rank Heroes. That chapter with the glasses dude has them dividing up the credit and then bullying glasses to keep his name off the report so they can get more credit. Glasses also relies on sales like Saitama.

Then the other Fubuki chapter has them working part-time jobs to afford a card while Fubuki just goes out and captures a bunch of criminals for their bounty.

It's even more confusing cause B Rank Heroes are free from their weekly quotas, which would imply they get some sort of salary?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The thread confusion is partly my fault for talking about Zombieman, though I could've sworn I'd heard about that from this thread and not the other one.

In any case, nobody's in trouble, nothing major's been spoiled. Let's just try to keep the threads straight from now on.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Daxing Dan posted:

Boros's name comes from a game One used to play.

Ahaha ONE used to play Magic: The Gathering

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Oh, that side chapter also made me wonder how much heroes make.

Do you get a set salary or is it based on accomplishments or is it both?

Fubuki's group seems pretty hard-up for cash despite being made up of B Rank Heroes. That chapter with the glasses dude has them dividing up the credit and then bullying glasses to keep his name off the report so they can get more credit. Glasses also relies on sales like Saitama.

Then the other Fubuki chapter has them working part-time jobs to afford a card while Fubuki just goes out and captures a bunch of criminals for their bounty.

It's even more confusing cause B Rank Heroes are free from their weekly quotas, which would imply they get some sort of salary?

I think they get a low salary + commissions payment for work done well. Going up in rank comes with cash prizes, basically, which is a part of why people are so invested in the numbers. It's been specifically stated S-Class is significantly more well compensated than any of the other hero classes, but I don't think any other specifics have been said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gnome7 posted:

I think they get a low salary + commissions payment for work done well. Going up in rank comes with cash prizes, basically, which is a part of why people are so invested in the numbers. It's been specifically stated S-Class is significantly more well compensated than any of the other hero classes, but I don't think any other specifics have been said.

Oh, that's cool. I guess I'll hafta reread the series for the S-Class thing. Though I guess it makes sense, given how well-off King is. Good apartments and all the games a man could want.

EDIT: Though Mask is probably the best off, since he's also an idol, actor, etc.