Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15067-AnniVERSEary-Sale-Kickoff

Been a year I think since last Banu sale, today and tomorrow should be better than yesterday's racing ships, Thursday will be the best. They could have a dev post about fuel to sell more Starfarers. Weekend is just clearing any cash still on the table.

6 days left, but they'll probably "forget" to turn the sale off on monday, potentially for a couple of days to cut down support calls (and make more money).

Currently 3.8 million from 100 million. Figure 400k a day on the low end over 6 days puts them 1.4 million short of the 100, but they'll likely do better than that considering the phoenix. They might not be too bothered and can pick the shortfall up in the first half of December fairly easily. They need a December sale anyway or the monthly figure will look terrible, if the unmelt system appears in December as promised they'll be fine for that month.

It's a lot harder to raise the cash now though, but November 2015 is going to look ok, not great but ok.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Friday is their biggest jump. Any time they do one of these the number of "Don't know what ship to sell my kidneys for" posts quadruples, there's probably a decent number of folks just waiting until they all go on sale to make a final decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Those bars on the windows are for when sandi burns the place down for the insurance money and the riff raff can't escape to tell the true story. Like in goldeneye but with less death lasers and more morbidly fat people.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 24, 2015

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Iglocska posted:

Yay, they are finally shipping my spesh ship model from China! If nothing else, at least I'll have that I guess?

If it ever turns up be sure to post pictures so we can laugh.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Jesus Christ, that office space looks depressing.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

How many ships are in the current release? How many ships are or have been offered for sale?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Looks like they've gone from fancy office space to dumpsterfire town.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Chalks posted:

I've not really been keeping up with the giant pile of features that are going to get cut from the eventual release of the game. What is this one?

It gonna own when 2.0 languishes neglected for months with the occasional token patch like AC while Chris works on his true passion, chumming around with hollywood actors making more cutscenes. Then they run out of money sometime mid 2016 and a letter from the Chairman says "Good news, that janky poo poo you're already bored with is now called the PU! Thanks for the support guys we couldn't have done it without the best drat community ever. Stay tuned for my next kickstarter"

Shitizens will look at their empty bank accounts and weep while cursing Derek Smart and goons for ruining confidence in the project.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Crash74 posted:

Those bars on the windows are for when sandi burns the place down for the insurance money and the rift raft can't escape to tell the true story. Like in goldeneye but with less death lasers and more morbidly fat people.

The what now? :laugh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

The what now? :laugh:

You know, the splintered pile of logs hastily tied together. :haw:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Crash74 posted:

Like in goldeneye but with less death lasers and more morbidly fat people.

I guess they don't need to bar the window to :lesnick: office to stop him climbing out of it.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
im bad at words

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Chalks posted:

I've not really been keeping up with the giant pile of features that are going to get cut from the eventual release of the game. What is this one?

This one is incredible

Chris Roberts posted:

Ok so the PvP slider is an input to the game's matchmaking system to give it a hint of kind of like who it should be matching you with.
So what happens is, when you fly around in space, you have you know, you're in your view, your universe view, and the server up there is basically looking at where you are and it's looking at everyone else and all their different machines, and then basically seeing where everyone else in the galaxy is and if it feels like there's someone close to you or there's an AI that's close to you, it basically would tell your local client "Ok, this person's close to you," then that person would be streamed into your instance or that AI would be streamed into your instance.

So the PvP slider is essentially an extra variable for the matchmaking criteria. So the matchmaking criteria is on a whole bunch of things. It's on things like ping, obviously we don't want to be putting people together where there's a huge latency. It's on whether who's your friends, who's your enemy, who's your people of interest. Also it would have some level of skill rating in there. So we'll kind of track are you a new player or are you super experienced. And based on that, in most of the areas, because some areas there won't be any, it will be whoever is there verses PvP or not. But if you basically said "Hey I would prefer to have more PvE than PvP," it would give a preference to the AI flying around rather than real player. So if there's an AI pirate and there's a real player pirate, it would drop the AI pirate into your instance to fight if you were more towards PvE than PvP.
You defintiely would get other players streamed into your space that wouldn't be hostile, say maybe a friend of yours or something. So you could definitely get a co-op kind of feeling, and that's going to be an on-going process, but the whole idea of it is: you should be able to fly around in the game and if you wanted that more Privateer/Freelancer experience that's kind of what will happen to you.
It will just be you'll mostly see AI and then if there's other players it will be probably friendly players, or if you're in like certain areas of space where there's no holds barred, it definitely could be an unfriendly player. But you'll sort of know that ok, well those are the dangerous areas. So if you’re a new player and you don't really want to be dealing with tough other players, then you probably should avoid those.

I would like to say one other thing, you definitely can have NPCs that are tougher than any player could ever be. It's a computer that runs it, it knows exactly where you are and it can calculate the correct firing solution much better than a player could ever do, so I think it is a bit of a misnomer to think that NPCs aren't necessarily as tough as real players. In some cases, NPCs could be tougher than real players.

But essentially the slider just sort of allows you to effect the kind of people that will stream into your space as you're traveling across the galaxy, and hopefully that will mean if you want to play a more Privateer style game, and be just by yourself, you can have that experience. If you want to play with your friends and co-op against AI, that can happen. But also if you want to mix it up with other players, that will happen too.
And you know, we'll have some other stuff. I mean I know there's always the question where people are always worried that's an exploit if you can change it dynamically, and we're not going to let you change it dynamically as you're flying around.
So it's kind of a setting you have as you fly around, and as I said, there are some areas that are kind of no-holds-barred, and those areas will also have some really cool stuff in, so I'm hoping at some point you'll get brave enough and you get good enough and you'll go to some of these areas to get this one particular kind of weapon that you can't get elsewhere or salvage an alien wreck, but you have to take some risks to get there. So it's a sort of risk-reward basis. So I hope that answered the question on the PvP slider.

How this works in practice? I've no idea. But then again it doesn't matter how it works in practice because it wont.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

AP posted:

Something boxes.

I had a bigger workspace (and not to mention a less depressing one) back when I was an intern. I would be so distracted working like that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Deki posted:

I had a bigger workspace (and not to mention a less depressing one) back when I was an intern. I would be so distracted working like that.

Open plan office spaces crack me up.

"We can't find talent! The labor pool is poo poo right now!!!"

Uhh no, nobody wants to work in your loving work-release concentration camp.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Deki posted:

It would be an excellent site for a post-apocalypse themed LAN party, though.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

How many ships are in the current release? How many ships are or have been offered for sale?

They have over 100 ships now, I've lost track.

They aren't selling the Javelin, 890 Jump, Idris M & the Idris P (though you can get that in a pack for a bit more) and the two vanduul alien ships.

I think everything else is on the store this weekend. (I half expect the Javelin to go up too but they've not said so)

AP fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 24, 2015

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Aramoro posted:

This one is incredible

How this works in practice? I've no idea. But then again it doesn't matter how it works in practice because it wont.

So it's the Elite:Dangerous "solo play" option devised by someone who doesn't know when to stop adding additional poo poo?

What a perfect microcosm of the entire E:D vs SC conversation.

Also thanks for letting anyone with a connection interference program intentionally matchmake against people with bad internet connections I guess?

AP posted:

Star Citizen: More ships than stars. Not even kidding.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 24, 2015

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

AP posted:

They aren't selling the Javelin, 890 Jump, Idris M & the Idris P (though you can get that in a pack for a bit more) and the two vanduul alien ships.

I think everything else is on the store this weekend. (I half expect the Javelin to go up too but they've not said so)

How many are in the current release?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

XK posted:

I think there are 106 ships total, 36 available in game as of the 2.0 Baby PU.

Google for the "Unofficial Star Citizen Ship Progress Chart" and I think you'll see the various states of completion for each one.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 24, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Crash74 posted:

im bad at words

could of been worse

XK
Jul 9, 2001

G0RF posted:

That's more in game than I expected. I was anticipating a response of like 4 or 8.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

If it ever turns up be sure to post pictures so we can laugh.

I wonder what sort of imaging technology we'll have by the time I get it :)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

XK posted:

That's more in game than I expected. I was anticipating a response of like 4 or 8.
They have 96,000,000+ reasons to sell that many...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

They've done only the small ones plus the constellation and the retaliator so it's a lot worse than the numbers suggest. Also there's like 5 different mustangs, 3 300i's, 3 hornets, 5 auroras etc, just slight variants make up a lot of that.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Gryphon0468 posted:

Source your quotes.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm watching http://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus , and it's just CiG produced adverts and currently playing 'Galactic Gear' - a futuristic Top Gear mocap turd.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chalks posted:

Star Citizen: More ships than stars. Not even kidding.

Star Shipizen?

... Or Star Sheepizen?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

EDIT: This screencap has layers

Runa fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 25, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

:boom:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I knew I loving recognised this guy's name.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

They've done only the small ones plus the constellation and the retaliator so it's a lot worse than the numbers suggest. Also there's like 5 different mustangs, 3 300i's, 3 hornets, 5 auroras etc, just slight variants make up a lot of that.

And is that 36 figure counting only ships that can be flown or all the useless models sitting in the hangar?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gryphon0468 posted:

Source your quotes.

Please take your pills.

You can pretend they are protein pills and you are going to space.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

G0RF posted:

Google for the "Unofficial Star Citizen Ship Progress Chart" and I think you'll see the various states of completion for each one.

I see 6 listed as flyable in 2.0.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TZgzbirTbLMj9oLJlMKYpefDo4cL430UQfmhy2HyUJU

It says last updated Nov. 6, but 2.0 came out well after that, so, I don't know. That's as much effort as I'm willing to invest in this.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A doozy is an apt description.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Not A Cult, and gryphon is most certainly not a missionary.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

MeLKoR posted:

A doody is an apt description.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

It says last updated Nov. 6, but 2.0 came out well after that, so, I don't know. That's as much effort as I'm willing to invest in this.

quote:

300i (variants 315p 325a, 350R)
Aurora MR (variants ES, CL, LN, LX)
Avenger Stalker (variants Titan, Warlock)
Constellation Andromeda (variants not finished)
Cutlass Black (variants and apparently the floor not finished)
Hornet (variants Ghost, Tracker)
Superhornet (Judge ruling, different enough, just)
Gladiator
Gladius
Mustang Alpha( variants Beta, Gamma, Delta, Omega)
P52 (variant not finished)
Retaliator
Vandull Glavie
Vanduul Scythe

I count 14 actually different ships and that's allowing the Superhornet.

I effort when it's funny and it's always funny. 14 ships in 3 years.

Beet Wagon posted:

And is that 36 figure counting only ships that can be flown or all the useless models sitting in the hangar?

Above are flyable I think, but that's my effort done. Wait is the hornet tracker even in and flyable, I dunno.

AP fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 24, 2015

XK
Jul 9, 2001

AP posted:

I count 14 actually different ships and that's allowing the Superhornet.

I effort when it's funny and it's always funny. 14 ships in 3 years.

Above are flyable I think, but that's my effort done.

Those are all ships you can actually fly in 2.0? That's closer to the answer I expected. Where did 36 come from? Was that including ships you could spawn into the hangar in whatever the previous releases were?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Those are all ships you can actually fly in 2.0? That's closer to the answer I expected. Where did 36 come from? Was that including ships you could spawn into the hangar in whatever the previous releases were?

That's counting variants, you take the aurora, change it slightly and now you can count it twice, the LX and the MR, they have 5 different Auroras. So in above I've listed the variants which are flyable I think, that's how someone got to 36.

By slightly I mean slightly, the Aurora LX and MR look identical apart from colour scheme and the LX has a leather chair I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Flyable in "2.0"

Aurora variants:
-Aurora ES
-Aurora MR
-Aurora CL
-Aurora LN
-Aurora LX

Mustang variants:
-Alpha
-Beta
-Gamma
-Delta
-Omega

Hornet variants:
-Hornet
-Ghost
-Tracker
-Superhornet

Avenger variants:
-Titan
-Warlock
-Stalker

300i variants:
-300i
-315p
-325p
-350R

Cutlass Black

Gladius

Gladiator

M50

P52 Merlin

Retaliator

Constellation

Edit: Scythe and Glaive and I'm late to the party because AP already did all this poo poo. God damnit.

• Locked thread