Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

After a week with this, I absolutely love it. I haven't encountered any of the weirdness anyone else in this thread is reporting, fortunately. My usage is limited to Plex, HBO Go and WatchESPN, all of which work great.

My only annoyance has been entering user name/passwords, which takes an eternity since I use 1Password with 24-32-character random passwords. I wanted to throw my remote after entering my Plex password wrong 3 times.

We've all been there with the password. :) I have the same formula for Google / YouTube.

Ever since the last update my ATV has been rock steady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I always used to paste in my passwords using the remote app on my current ATV. I really hope Apple puts out a new version compatible with the new ATV before too long.

choobs fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 17, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can I hook up a bluetooth keyboard for entering text, or is there some way to use siri for filling out text fields?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can I hook up a bluetooth keyboard for entering text, or is there some way to use siri for filling out text fields?

Nope and nope.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Hulu App:

Almost every time I pause a show and shut my TV off and come back later, I come back to a frozen blurry picture. Only thing I can figure out to get it back is to reboot the ATV.

Does this happen to anyone else and there is a quicker way to fix it?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

dexter6 posted:

Hulu App:

Almost every time I pause a show and shut my TV off and come back later, I come back to a frozen blurry picture. Only thing I can figure out to get it back is to reboot the ATV.

Does this happen to anyone else and there is a quicker way to fix it?

Maybe delete the app and reinstall it?

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Is there any way to shuffle user-created playlists in the music app? I only seem to be able to do that with AM playlists. Hoping 9.1 fixes this.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

milkaxor posted:

Is there any way to shuffle user-created playlists in the music app? I only seem to be able to do that with AM playlists. Hoping 9.1 fixes this.

I see a Shuffle option as the first option (before the first individual track) on Apple Music, Curator, and personal playlists. Are user-created playlists different?

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

canyonero posted:

I see a Shuffle option as the first option (before the first individual track) on Apple Music, Curator, and personal playlists. Are user-created playlists different?

On Apple TV 4?

This is what I'm seeing

My playlist:

Apple Music playlist:

The ellipses lead to shuffle, love, and another option. That doesn't exist with my playlists.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
MTV and Comedy Central apps have been added to the store. Also, there are like 10 different categories in the App Store now instead of 2.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

milkaxor posted:

On Apple TV 4?

This is what I'm seeing

My playlist:

Apple Music playlist:

The ellipses lead to shuffle, love, and another option. That doesn't exist with my playlists.

My personal playlists don't look like yours. Under the name of the playlist, mine says "Playlist by [my name]", while yours seems to say nothing.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Mahoning posted:

MTV and Comedy Central apps have been added to the store. Also, there are like 10 different categories in the App Store now instead of 2.

Can you watch full episodes of The Daily Show from the Comedy Central app? It keeps getting harder to justify Hulu....

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Today I found out that if you want Netflix to output Dolby Digital instead of PCM you have to select Dolby surround in audio/video settings. I had it on auto and it wasn't sending out Dolby Digital.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So my ATV(4) is connected via HDMI to my TV. My TV is connected to my (not very amazing but totally competent) Onkyo receiver.

I *think* so far I've only noticed my front channels making sounds. Do I need to set my ATV up with certain settings to get 5.1? Now that I'm asking this I'm doubting myself if I tested it with a movie or just tv shows...

[Ed] this is about the third time in as many weeks now that I have come down to find my ATV4 unresponsive to the Internet despite being connected to wifi. Have to reboot and do a bunch of bullshit and hope it decides to play nice.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 21, 2015

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Feenix posted:

So my ATV(4) is connected via HDMI to my TV. My TV is connected to my (not very amazing but totally competent) Onkyo receiver.

I *think* so far I've only noticed my front channels making sounds. Do I need to set my ATV up with certain settings to get 5.1? Now that I'm asking this I'm doubting myself if I tested it with a movie or just tv shows...

[Ed] this is about the third time in as many weeks now that I have come down to find my ATV4 unresponsive to the Internet despite being connected to wifi. Have to reboot and do a bunch of bullshit and hope it decides to play nice.

Some TVs only output 2.1. Does your TV send 5.1 signals to your Onkyo from other devices?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mulls posted:

Some TVs only output 2.1. Does your TV send 5.1 signals to your Onkyo from other devices?

I have a Dennon, but I know Onkyo is very similar in that it has multiple HDMI-IN and an HDMI-OUT for video. So the Dennon is in the middle. ATV into Dennon then video over HDMI-OUT to the TV. My TV basically functions as a monitor. My Harmony Hub (and the Harmony One remote before that) sends audio commands to the Dennon and other remote stuff to the ATV.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

flosofl posted:

I have a Dennon, but I know Onkyo is very similar in that it has multiple HDMI-IN and an HDMI-OUT for video. So the Dennon is in the middle. ATV into Dennon then video over HDMI-OUT to the TV. My TV basically functions as a monitor. My Harmony Hub (and the Harmony One remote before that) sends audio commands to the Dennon and other remote stuff to the ATV.

That's not quite this guy's set up. Feenix says the Apple TV sends video and audio to the TV, which displays video and sends the audio to the Onkyo.

Edit: something else I just remembered: Even though Apple TV can output 5.1, a lot of apps don't stream 5.1 programming. For example, the ESPN app only puts out a stereo signal as far as I can tell. It may be on some apps, Feenix's Apple TV is sending a 2.1 or 2.0 signal to the TV, which sends it to the receiver, which is then only sending it to the front two channels.

mulls fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 22, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm mostly using Plex and Simplex. I'll double check on whether my tv sends 5.1. It should, it's only like 3 years old... Panasonic Viera Gt50 55 inch.

Thanks for the info! :)

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Is there any benefit to simplex over plex?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cornjob posted:

Is there any benefit to simplex over plex?

Only if you have become unstuck from time and are living in those early days before the Plex app got approved.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

TheJoker138 posted:

Only if you have become unstuck from time and are living in those early days before the Plex app got approved.

Thats what i figured.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm trying to decide between this and a Roku 2 for use as a general Netflix/HBO/Amazon box. I played with one in the apple store and loved the interface/Siri, but native Amazon is kind of a draw with Top Gear next year. How much of a pain is it to use the amazon app/airplay?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 22, 2015

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
None at all for me. The only thing you might consider is if you have two devices so your phone isnt out of commission. I prefer to airplay from an ipad so i cam still use my phone.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
If you're in for a Roku, I'd just go with a 4 (unless you already have the 2). The interface is going to be torture to navigate due to the processor at this point.

I actually haven't tried airplaying amazon but if I get a chance today I'll give it a shot.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah, I actually just picked up a Roku 2 yesterday. The interface works but it'd definitely be nice to be able to use Siri to control things.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Keystoned posted:

None at all for me. The only thing you might consider is if you have two devices so your phone isnt out of commission. I prefer to airplay from an ipad so i cam still use my phone.

Unless you're forced to use mirroring, can't you still switch apps and keep the stream alive? Pretty sure I've done that.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I think it varies by app.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Specifically opening Facebook kills the AirPlay since fb wants to be able to AirPlay its autoplaying videos.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Hughlander posted:

Specifically opening Facebook kills the AirPlay since fb wants to be able to AirPlay its autoplaying videos.

The Facebook app is such a pile of hot garbage.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I thought I read about it in this thread, but I can't find the post right now - the Pluto.tv app is awesome. There's an all-MST3K channel that has basically become my de-facto "put something on the TV when I'm not really paying attention" thing.

My only complaint about it is there seems to be a lot more channels on the web app or on the iOS app. Anyone know if this is some bullshit rights-limitation thing where they don't have the rights to put certain channels on a TV app but they do on the web? Or is it just their app being something of a beta release and a future update could add those channels?

I do know the app is kinda wonky right now - I'm perfectly fine to let it play an ad every now and then, but whenever it plays ads it either freezes up or just gets in an endless loop of ads until I change the channel and then go back to the channel I was watching.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's some bullshit rights-limitation.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I love the new remote, but at the same time, I somehow managed to accidentally download airbnb while the TV was off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bass Bottles posted:

I love the new remote, but at the same time, I somehow managed to accidentally download airbnb while the TV was off.

I love the new remote, but at the same time, it is the worst remote ever.

You're watching something. Remote is on the coffee table. Sound is loud, baby is in danger of waking up, you grab for the remoOOOH poo poo YOU JUST FAST FORWARDED LIKE 30 MINUTES!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why isn't there an Amazon Prime Video app that just works the same way as the iOS app? As in there's no way to purchase things on it, but Prime streaming and stuff you've rented/purchased on a browser is available?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Why isn't there an Amazon Prime Video app that just works the same way as the iOS app? As in there's no way to purchase things on it, but Prime streaming and stuff you've rented/purchased on a browser is available?

Because Amazon wants you to buy its hardware. It's why they pulled support for the Chromecast and Android TV too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Because Amazon wants you to buy its hardware. It's why they pulled support for the Chromecast and Android TV too.

Well I'm not going to, and they're basically just losing money by not letting me buy it elsewhere.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Feenix posted:

I love the new remote, but at the same time, it is the worst remote ever.

You're watching something. Remote is on the coffee table. Sound is loud, baby is in danger of waking up, you grab for the remoOOOH poo poo YOU JUST FAST FORWARDED LIKE 30 MINUTES!

Yeah, this is quite annoying, but it's balanced out by the awesomeness of Siri + "go back/forward XX minutes/seconds"

Also, FWIW, I got the new ATV on day 1 and have used it pretty frequently since then, and have not had to charge my remote yet. Is there anywhere to check the remote battery level?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, this is quite annoying, but it's balanced out by the awesomeness of Siri + "go back/forward XX minutes/seconds"

Also, FWIW, I got the new ATV on day 1 and have used it pretty frequently since then, and have not had to charge my remote yet. Is there anywhere to check the remote battery level?

Is it a thing that you even have to charge? I figured it was the same style battery the previous models had where you just get a new one when it finally dies.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

TheJoker138 posted:

Is it a thing that you even have to charge? I figured it was the same style battery the previous models had where you just get a new one when it finally dies.

Yes, it charges via Lightning, that's why a lightning cable is included in the box.

Supposedly it charges to full in like 2 hours and then lasts for like 3 months or something equally ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, it has a Lightning port. It's good for months on a charge according to Apple.