Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Looper posted:

Don't feel ashamed to enjoy video games

i love ff13 and ff13-2 but i still haven't played lightning returns, that's what i'm ashamed of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

alcharagia posted:

i love ff13

you should be ashamed of this

very ashamed

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

you should be ashamed of this

very ashamed

like it's not that greatly-designed of a game, actually there's a lot of poor stuff about it, but it's really stupid and bad and i wholeheartedly love stupid and bad stuff that doesn't make any sense

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
like, ff13 is sonic 2006 and ff13-2 is sonic adventure 2, both games i consider myself an unabashed fan of

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Looper posted:

That some uh, some quality voice direction right there

Geralt's voice actor/voice director changed so much from W1 to 2 that it's not even funny.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

alcharagia posted:

like, ff13 is sonic 2006 and ff13-2 is sonic adventure 2, both games i consider myself an unabashed fan of

oh ok. there is no shame in that

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I didn't like the plot of 13 but I actually really ended up liking the characters, which sort of made it more disappointing in the end since I wish they were involved in a more interesting story. The fact that Fang didn't end up being the runaway star of the series sort of boggles my mind since she sort of carried the game on her back in my opinion, but all in all I didn't regret playing 13. 13-2 was fun and engaging and I even found myself enjoying moments of the plot. I mean at least there was some kind of definite direction and goal, unlike 13. Then the ending snatched back every ounce of joy I had had in the game and left me scarred. Hopefully LR can refund me that joy with a little extra.

Also hopefully I can finish marathoning Clannad by the time it comes out. Because I don't think I'll be able to play anything else but Clannad on Steam for the next week or two.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For sheer boredom, I'm playing through FF13 again (didn't "technically" beat it because I cheat engined one-hit kills). Took me about...8-10 hours to get to chapter 10?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
From what I remembered from FF trivia, the developers were talking about how Caius was the STRONGEST FF VILLAIN EVER, which was silly.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

people talk about that all the time but I'm fairly sure they meant strongest in terms of characterization. Which is reasonable, they're not gonna say he sucks.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

alcharagia posted:

i love ff13 and ff13-2 but i still haven't played lightning returns, that's what i'm ashamed of.

I'm in this boat, and while I wouldn't say I "love" either XIII or XIII-2, I don't regret the time I spent with them, even if XIII in particular has no replay value at all. I must get around to Lightning Returns at some point.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Sylphid posted:

I'm in this boat, and while I wouldn't say I "love" either XIII or XIII-2, I don't regret the time I spent with them, even if XIII in particular has no replay value at all. I must get around to Lightning Returns at some point.

oh yeah, i'll never play either game again

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Getsuya posted:

I didn't like the plot of 13 but I actually really ended up liking the characters, which sort of made it more disappointing in the end since I wish they were involved in a more interesting story. The fact that Fang didn't end up being the runaway star of the series sort of boggles my mind since she sort of carried the game on her back in my opinion, but all in all I didn't regret playing 13. 13-2 was fun and engaging and I even found myself enjoying moments of the plot. I mean at least there was some kind of definite direction and goal, unlike 13. Then the ending snatched back every ounce of joy I had had in the game and left me scarred. Hopefully LR can refund me that joy with a little extra.

I think the sole difference between you and I is that I enjoyed the cast, but didn't really connect with them. I mean, I dig that world, and I like how XIII-2 was basically their way of trying to do another X-2 thing* and explore a world post-storyline**, but at no point save for, and I was amazed by this, Hope's evolution in XIII-2 did I really go "Yeah, I want to know more about this rich inner life and see this dude grow." Although out-of-canon Snow was pretty fun too. In fact, I'm just gonna go on record and say Snow is my favorite character out of the three games because he is basically Every Deadbeat My Kid Sister Ever Dated.

Also come on. The last two or three chapters of XIII-2 are telling you how it's going to end. "This is a bad idea oh my god what the gently caress" is harped on so many times in cutscenes and what they choose to flash back to, and then you go and do it anyway. How did you expect that was going to turn out?

* X-2 will always be one of my favorite RPGs just because it takes the whole 'happily ever after' cliche and really explores what the gently caress you do when the sword hanging over the world's head is just gone. Nothing stays the same but not everyone agrees on how the gently caress you peace out after millenia of terror.
** Yes I know it was actually only made to try and recoup costs of XIII and use spare assets.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

Also come on. The last two or three chapters of XIII-2 are telling you how it's going to end. "This is a bad idea oh my god what the gently caress" is harped on so many times in cutscenes and what they choose to flash back to, and then you go and do it anyway. How did you expect that was going to turn out?

The same way 13 did, namely with the characters playing right into the villain's hands and doing exactly what the villain wants them to only for things to work out alright in the end anyway due to Deus Ex Machina out of nowhere.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Getsuya posted:

The same way 13 did, namely with the characters playing right into the villain's hands and doing exactly what the villain wants them to only for things to work out alright in the end anyway due to Deus Ex Machina out of nowhere.

I mean, the difference (at least to me) is that they played out like this:

13: "HAH! You played right into my hands by stabbing me to death! Now I'm stronger!" "I'm still going to keep stabbing you though." "gently caress"
13-2: "HAH! You played right into my hands by STABBING ME IN YOUR PATRON'S HEART! Now she's dead." "Oh, gently caress, I also had part of her in me." (dies)

Yeah I guess they tried to Chewbacca the planet in the middle of 13's ending but it's cool, it wasn't gonna make space-Australia any shittier than it already was.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I never did any Final Fantasy XIII before. How confused am I gonna be?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Jumping into a later game? You might arguably be better that way.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bongo Bill posted:

Lightning Returns as far as FF13 canon goes is the equivalent of watching the first two star wars movies and instead of watching the final third movie you watch Brazil instead.

it's so far removed from what the other two games established that you're fine going in with just that one game.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

you will be better off reading summaries of the previous games plot honestly. I think someone made a really big post about it but I'm not going to look for it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bongo Bill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVfRoYhvFZQ

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Lightning like all little girls demands that she gets a pony.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bongo Bill posted:

Watch the youtube link someone gave you, it's legitimately correct.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
That 12 second explanation of the Caius/Yeul situation is better than any they give you in the entirety of FFXIII-2

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

That 12 second explanation of the Caius/Yeul situation is better than any they give you in the entirety of FFXIII-2

My one problem with that video is it undersells the massive hamminess of everything Caius ever says. There is a literal plot point that a fake Caius runs around at one point and it only has like two lines because when it speaks, it gives itself away immediately.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
A YEUL THAT LOVED TO SING!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So little of the world is left because Caius chewed the scenery so much he ended up eating most of it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

any of these any good

white knight chronicles
time and eternity
guided fate paradox
rune factory oceans

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Maybe the last one, the first three are notoriously Not Good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davincie posted:

any of these any good

white knight chronicles
time and eternity
guided fate paradox
rune factory oceans

WKC is bad.
ToE is super loving bad and was actually pulled from the PSN IIRC
GFP is a worse Z.H.P. I loved Z.H.P and loathed GFP.
Rune Factory is okay but it isn't one of the better Rune Factory games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

any of these any good

white knight chronicles
time and eternity
guided fate paradox
rune factory oceans

The first two are as fun as nailing your dick to a block of wood, Guided Fate Paradox is okay but it's just PSP game ZHP only worse and Rune Factory Oceans is eh, not the best RF game.

Whatever you do don't play the first two.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

RF oceans is so bad

What is the point of a rf game where both the farming and the combat are clunky

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What is zhps gimmick to separate from disgaeas combat?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

What is zhps gimmick to separate from disgaeas combat?

ZHP is a roguelike, specifically a Mysterious Dungeon Shiren-style roguelike. It's actually fairly different from Disgaea... to the point people whined about it and GFP is explicitly an attempt to make a 'more Disgaea" style game and it sucked.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ZHP is a classic

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

ZHP is a roguelike, specifically a Mysterious Dungeon Shiren-style roguelike. It's actually fairly different from Disgaea... to the point people whined about it and GFP is explicitly an attempt to make a 'more Disgaea" style game and it sucked.
I have to assume they complained even more then, because Awakened Fate Ultimatum is its sequel and it's even more dumbed down.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I tried picking up Citizen of Earth again for the Vita where I left off.

It's so aggressively bad I don't think i'll ever get through it. Like not only does every screen transition come with a chunky loading screen but the layout of most dungeons and quests are dumb and characters range from good to dumb battle gimmicks that make them almost useless.

Also I can never use the psychologist or the game will crash.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Linnaeus posted:

RF oceans is so bad

What is the point of a rf game where both the farming and the combat are clunky

yea unfortunately Rf oceans runs out of gas about the time you unlock the third part of the world or w/e

but I did enjoy the ocean exploration for a while and would recommend playing it if it was available for like 20 bucks

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

any of these any good

white knight chronicles
time and eternity
guided fate paradox
rune factory oceans

Out of curiosity is there any reason why your list only contains bad games? A spread that bad looks deliberate.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Getsuya posted:

I dunno, I thought XIII-2 had a pretty happy ending. Etro was a bitch but now she's dead. I was rooting for Caius anyway.

Sucks about Serah but everyone saw that coming.

I agree the characters were the best part of XIII, though. The playable characters, anyway. XIII noticeably lacked great antagonists like XII. But my liking the characters;/disliking the story is why I'm so at odds with some people. They like Pulse and when the game opens up bu I hate it because after the Palamecia most of the character drama is over with and now it's full-on plot. Only the plot sucks so...

So I'm left in a no-win situation where the beginning part of the game has the best bits but is boring as balls because I almost always only have two characters, and the second half which is uninteresting nonsense but finally lets me select my party. Chapter 12 - Eden Under Siege - was the only redeeming part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Out of curiosity is there any reason why your list only contains bad games? A spread that bad looks deliberate.

i went to the game store and those were all the ps3 rpgs available outside of the copy of rorona i returned several months ago