Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Eh, new page, let's add a quote

Jeoh posted:

Devolution's RemoteDesktopManager has treated me pretty well.

That's what I use. Nothing lacking in the free edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Maaaan. I wish I could set the Gmail provided by Google Apps to just serve as a thin IMAP client. Yes, google, I would really love to use your interface to replace Horde and have everyone logging into the same place to get both the company calendar and webmail. No, google, I don't want to point my MX records at you, and I don't want a mouthbreathing POP setup that spirals off into having its own Sent Items and folder structure. Feels like you guys were an inch away from giving me the perfect loving thing and just didn't wanna make the effort.

EDIT: Wait a minute, maybe I could run some sort of hosed up headless clients on my servers that pushed data upstream using the IMAP access that Google gives you to their servers??? Oh my god, and then whenever a user did poo poo in Gmail, I would note the changes and mirror them back to our own inboxes. Fuuuuuck, why am I actually considering this?

Eikre fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 9, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Eikre posted:

Maaaan. I wish I could set the Gmail provided by Google Apps to just serve as a thin IMAP client. Yes, google, I would really love to use your interface to replace Horde and have everyone logging into the same place to get both the company calendar and webmail. No, google, I don't want to point my MX records at you, and I don't want a mouthbreathing POP setup that spirals off into having its own Sent Items and folder structure. Feels like you guys were an inch away from giving me the perfect loving thing and just didn't wanna make the effort.

EDIT: Wait a minute, maybe I could run some sort of hosed up headless clients on my servers that pushed data upstream using the IMAP access that Google gives you to their servers??? Oh my god, and then whenever a user did poo poo in Gmail, I would note the changes and mirror them back to our own inboxes. Fuuuuuck, why am I actually considering this?

A fine example of self face punching.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just loving migrate to Google Apps

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
In non-face punching news, we signed up for AppRiver today after a successful month-long trial. See if you can spot where our MX records were successfully transitioned.

In related, completely loving believable news, the CEO (a Tech-allergic individual if I've ever seen one) has congratulated me on singlehandedly stopping the Spam menace after finally getting off my lazy rear end. Sure, just ignore the fact that I've actively been working on this for 6 months using firewall and RBL rules you gently caress.

Note: Somebody has already done it better and for significantly cheaper & less manpower. Stop trying to re-invent the wheel.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Just loving migrate to Google Apps

Maintaining our own email servers is an incontrovertible requirement.

Although you do have a point that the workaround I was entertaining doesn't actually maintain control of SMTP. If I'm actually allowed to cede stewardship of that, I should just forward everything directly to the Gmail box and treat our own servers as an invisible middle-man archive.

Welp. Thanks for running through this with me, everyone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gmail isn't a webmail interface to your own mail server, don't even think about trying to make it act like one.

If you absolutely have to run mail on-premise then Google have nothing to offer you.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
The mandate is that I retain stewardship of the servers listed in the MX record, and retain accountable backups on mail going back X months ago. How my users actually end up getting and handling their mail is completely arbitrary; they can have it all dumped directly to a rancid .pst, forwarded to their private slack channel, or just never get access to it at all, or whatever.

So yeah, as a matter of fact, after I've made my copy, I totally can just poo poo out the user's copy into the Google apps inbox and let them sort it out from there. And there's not actually necessarily anything preventing them from doing that already, if they've just set up a forwarding rule in Horde.

The holdup question is whether we are also required to be collecting outbound mail; this isn't a requirement that anybody has ever articulated to me, but if I am, then I have a pressing problem, which is that a non-zero number of people have potentially been eliding use of company SMTP in all sorts of ways, since before I even got here. Not my fault, but I gotta check!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Host a mail filtering and archiving appliance in a datacenter, deliver to Google Apps, set Google up to route outbound back through that appliance.

You can't be responsible for people using random SMTP servers to send mail through any more than you can be responsible for them using Hotmail. Blocking outbound SMTP and webmail services at your firewall is about the best you can do.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Eikre posted:

The mandate is that I retain stewardship of the servers listed in the MX record, and retain accountable backups on mail going back X months ago. How my users actually end up getting and handling their mail is completely arbitrary; they can have it all dumped directly to a rancid .pst, forwarded to their private slack channel, or just never get access to it at all, or whatever.

So yeah, as a matter of fact, after I've made my copy, I totally can just poo poo out the user's copy into the Google apps inbox and let them sort it out from there. And there's not actually necessarily anything preventing them from doing that already, if they've just set up a forwarding rule in Horde.

The holdup question is whether we are also required to be collecting outbound mail; this isn't a requirement that anybody has ever articulated to me, but if I am, then I have a pressing problem, which is that a non-zero number of people have potentially been eliding use of company SMTP in all sorts of ways, since before I even got here. Not my fault, but I gotta check!

Can you have it hit google, then just dump all the mail using the google's API nightly? This will even get deleted mail because you are an admin (apparently, I never actually got past the looking into it point before something more important came up and the deleted mail was forgotten about). That was at my previous job, which wasn't small shop like my current one. It was a horribly understaffed place where if you had enough time to eat you would get yelled at for not doing stuff.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

RDS licensing question:

Just deployed my first 2012R2 remote desktop server. Small shop obvs, so single box for RDS and licensing. In the past (2008r2) no problem, just point the licensing server to itself in the gui, done. There's no GUI here though because I don't have a connection broker. I did whatever registry thing it said in technet and I'm still getting alerts that my trial license will expire in X days. I'm about to call microsoft but I suspect I'll have to uninstall and reinstall the role and do it over. Anyone come across this?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

they transferred me to product activation noooooooooooo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RIP that support case

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Isn't it funny how sometimes you just need to be on hold with microsoft to solve your own problem? Because it's like you have no choice but to sit next to the phone, might as well try everthing...

Well it turns out my gpo was pointing the licensing server to userfriendlyname.poop.org which was a DNS entry pointing to the IP address, rather than just SERVERNAME (no FQDN) once I changed it to SERVERNAME everything worked 100%.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I wrote my first novel while on hold to ISP support.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Anyone in here have any recommendations for vendors of refurbed hardware? Dell servers, Cisco gear, and the like?

In the US, specifically. I've just moved here from overseas, so building the local knowledge of decent IT shops/vendors back up.

And just became the sole member of what was a non-existent IT dept until now, so I'm sure this'll be a relevant thread for the occasional cry in.
(("We don't need to be updating that creaky ol' Dell running Server 03. It's running just fine. Juuust fiiiine... why is the file share so damned slow!?"))

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Zakutambah posted:

Anyone in here have any recommendations for vendors of refurbed hardware? Dell servers, Cisco gear, and the like?

In the US, specifically. I've just moved here from overseas, so building the local knowledge of decent IT shops/vendors back up.

And just became the sole member of what was a non-existent IT dept until now, so I'm sure this'll be a relevant thread for the occasional cry in.
(("We don't need to be updating that creaky ol' Dell running Server 03. It's running just fine. Juuust fiiiine... why is the file share so damned slow!?"))

Is the place a not for profit?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zakutambah posted:

I have used these guys for Dell servers before. Never had any issues.

http://www.stikc.com/

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

frogbert posted:

Is the place a not for profit?

Worse. Finance sector. Non-profits at least understand why they -should- upgrade, even if they can't afford.

It's actually not too bad a place, it's just grown fast and never had much need for real infrastructure before. It's just trying to convince those with the purse strings that the investment is necessary if you want anything to work right. Currently trying to juggle VoIP traffic over a couple of bonded ADSL lines, fun stuff.

Moey posted:

I have used these guys for Dell servers before. Never had any issues.

http://www.stikc.com/

Awesome, cheers. I'll check them out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zakutambah posted:

It's just trying to convince those with the purse strings that the investment is necessary if you want anything to work right. Currently trying to juggle VoIP traffic over a couple of bonded ADSL lines, fun stuff.

:suicide:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zakutambah posted:

Worse. Finance sector. Non-profits at least understand why they -should- upgrade, even if they can't afford.

It's actually not too bad a place, it's just grown fast and never had much need for real infrastructure before. It's just trying to convince those with the purse strings that the investment is necessary if you want anything to work right. Currently trying to juggle VoIP traffic over a couple of bonded ADSL lines, fun stuff.

Awesome, cheers. I'll check them out.

Finance should understand you need to spend money to make money. Sounds like a terrible place, financial sector excluded.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Internet Explorer posted:

Finance should understand you need to spend money to make money. Sounds like a terrible place, financial sector excluded.

Eh... I've only started. They've been receptive to a few small changes already, it's that figuring out how to make them understand what's necessary money to spend thing. I think that the owner even now understands an IT department is needed for where they are at is a step forward. Like, the ADSL thing is a good example. Until now, he's just had the mentality that internet is internet, plug it into the wall, internet comes out. Working on explaining why ADSL is bad for us with VoIP, etc, is getting through; we're exploring fiber options. Truly terrible places are the ones that just keeping barging on without listening, which then you have to ask why did you even bother employing someone to manage your network if you're not going to listen. Time will tell, I guess.

Every single day.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

tl:dr, Pretty much this until ideas fit in someone's head.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes, small company director, the servers and network equipment do have to live somewhere where the temperature and humidity can be maintained at a vaguely constant level. And for maintenance reasons it's probably easier to put them in the sorts of cabinets designed for the task rather than just stacking it all up in a corner.

I am aware that you don't want any servers because you want to be "in the cloud", but that would require investing in your connectivity and not trying to share an ADSL connection across 20 staff members. Yes, it is going to cost money whatever way you decide to go. I fully take your point that you don't consider yourself to be an IT company, but you aren't a truck company either and yet you seem to agree that having well maintained vehicles is important. Neither are you an employment agency and yet look around and you will find employees.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
What's the best OCR device for business cards, these days? Is it one of those niche packages that comes with a cute little scanner and proprietary software, or has the state of the art moved on to taking pictures with a smartphone app?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://blogs.office.com/2014/12/08/office-lens-gets-networking-scan-business-cards-onenote-contacts-outlook/

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

...I fully take your point that you don't consider yourself to be an IT company...

Urgh, this is one of the excuses that pisses me off the most. It's 2015; up-to-scratch IT infrastructure is as essential for a business as keeping the lights on.

Incredibly enough, one of the worst culprits for this I encountered was an IT consulting firm themselves. But that was the mantra repeated whenever our dev infrastructure was bought up: "We're an IT services company, not an IT company." I mean... wha? :what:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I imagine in a previous generation they would have been the people not interested in having more than one telephone hanging up on the wall by the door "look sonny, we ain't running a phone company here".

Edit: These are the guys holding out on replacing a disk in their consumer NAS because despite the clicking noises and the bad sector count being through the roof, "it isn't dead yet". Gotta extract that value!

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 20, 2015

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Eikre posted:

What's the best OCR device for business cards, these days? Is it one of those niche packages that comes with a cute little scanner and proprietary software, or has the state of the art moved on to taking pictures with a smartphone app?

Fujitsu scansnap ix500

Bonus: it's the best OCR device for everything else too.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes, small company director, the servers and network equipment do have to live somewhere where the temperature and humidity can be maintained at a vaguely constant level. And for maintenance reasons it's probably easier to put them in the sorts of cabinets designed for the task rather than just stacking it all up in a corner.

I can beat this.

During a growth phase our company purchased and built out a brand new office for the tune of about $150,000. Part of the buildout included a nice server room for a growing company.

Unfortunately for him, the CEO saw all the extra space in the server room and decided that he would halve the size of the server room and instead install wine racks to store his personal wine collection. Of course I immediately told him how lovely of an idea this was. But, being a CEO, listening to the IT person was not high on his list of priorities.

A year and a half later the AC died in the server room and he lost about $100,000 of his own personal wine collection because it decided to die on a Saturday morning when I was out of town without cell reception.

I still titter about that incident to this day.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
^
Noice. $100000 cooking sherry.

So, CenturyLink have been an entirely flaccid arsehole every time I've dealt with them already. Had a tech out multiple times now to rerun the phone line to our building, and there is still stupid amounts of noise on the line. At least now though the VoIP traffic is being routed over a T1 line; it's not perfect, but for some reason they won't hook us up to the fiber line where we are.

And the strangest issue this morning. Just internally, we couldn't access our website at all. I got the firewall to route all traffic headed to our website's IP range out the T1 instead of the ADSL... and it came up fine. Then out the secondary ADSL line... and it was fine too. But our primary line... nada. Bloody bizarre, as both ADSL lines are through CenturyLink and the T1 is their copper in the ground as well. You'd think it would be hitting the same routers on their end.

What's really pissing me off is that it takes approx 10mins to get through to their support. 10mins of robotic menus, then a long message of useful tips such as 'turn your router off and on again', and 'make sure your phone line is plugged in'. Why you'd have that on the business support line is beyond me; I imagine most business' are going to have a tech or IT department making the call, enough anyway that it's got to be pissing more people off than it's helping. Last two times I've called I've already deliberately hit the option for sales, then "Whoops, silly me. Must've hit the wrong number, you couldn't transfer me to tech support could you?" to skip the recording.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I recently set up two business dry loop lines with centurylink for a couple of new satellite locations that didn't warrant a T-1 on our mpls.

Three weeks later we get six identical bills for $9.95 for phone service, for a Milwaukee area code. We're nowhere near Milwaukee. I get bounced around billing to 6 different people, them finally went over every single bit of information on it.

None of that information pulled anything up, that account number doesn't exist (and isn't ours). :psyduck:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

KS posted:

Fujitsu scansnap ix500

always

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Negotiating with CentryLink on what they offer in regards to additional lines; the best I can get out of them is sending a tech out to install an additional 7Mbit/896Kbit line, and when he's onsite seeing if he can push it up to a 12Mbit/2Mbit.

*sigh* Sad part is, I have enough history working with dodgy copper ADSL setups that I totally understand their customer service not being able to guarantee anything until the copper in our ground is tested. Nice to see ISPs here have been taking care of their copper about as well as the ones back in Oz.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

sorry about your lack of standardized images, small shop admins

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-activity/2015/11/24/Dell-Computers-Contain-CA-Root-Certificate-Vulnerability

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Has anyone actually found a PC with this on it in a business environment? We touch a multitude of Dells and so far no one has actually been able to find a PC with it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Has anyone actually found a PC with this on it in a business environment? We touch a multitude of Dells and so far no one has actually been able to find a PC with it.

Just checked our rmm and we def have a handful

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

:gonk:

On the topic of images, the setup in this office actually has me thinking it'd be an ideal joint to try out VDI with user profile disks. Skips a lot of that... However, going to take some convincing higher up to purchase a server capable of running all that.

And CenturyLink continues to just plain gently caress itself around. Didn't get an order confirmation for that new line, so decided to give them a call... annddd the order doesn't exist :psyduck: How the gently caress does that happen? The best the bloke could give me was 'It must've had an error in the details filled out, so it failed'. It sure would be nice if someone got notified if that ever happened. Then, of course, everything now is more expensive than quoted yesterday. Oh, and there's an installation fee now, when we said there wasn't yesterday (Dreamin' if they reckon we're going to pay that). And it'll be two more days later, as the day quoted is now booked out.

How the Hell do these guys manage to stay in business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zakutambah posted:

How the Hell do these guys manage to stay in business?

Being the only option that isn't dial up.