Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Will StevenCrowder ever get the love and attention he needs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Those savage indians fighting. Not like us civilized Europeans who never go to war with each other.

They were no angels.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The American education does indeed do a lovely job of teaching Native American history btw.

Some of the stuff about them is incredibly interesting.

FMguru posted:

We outlasted disco! Just, uh, ignore that week-long EDM festival that shuts down the city of a long weekend every year with a half-million attendees, that's something totally different

"We outlasted the hippie movement!"

/ignores the various "hippie" like businesses, groups like Phish and Marijuana being legalized in Colorado, Oregon and Washington!

"We outlasted Air America!"

/ignore the fact that Al Franken is a loving senator now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

The American education does indeed do a lovely job of teaching Native American history btw.

"We outlasted the hippie movement!"

/ignores the various "hippie" like businesses, groups like Phish and Marijuana being legalized in Colorado, Oregon and Washington!

"We outlasted Air America!"

/ignore the fact that Al Franken is a loving senator now.

yeah. we do. neither side in politics do the native americans any justice though. Crowders right wing side is indefinably worse with their outright demonetization of native cultures and how they all desevred to be massacared by the white christian men. but the left doesnt do any them favors when they push the"noble utopian savages who never warred with each other and lived in Utopian societies. I think the left does it much better. I always went with "the native americans were a fascinating people with interesting culture who were like real people and cultures had faults and fought each other. but they were unfortunately hosed over and exploited and ethnically cleansed by shithead Europeans/americans because "muh manifest destiny".

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FuzzySkinner posted:

Reading 1491 by Charles Mann really opened my eyes.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

beatlegs posted:

Only what he deserves.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

beatlegs posted:

He already got his share:

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
The bullshit level of labeling Native Americans savages with primitive culture cannot be understated. There was a massive production and trade network, in-depth agricultural knowledge, and massive mound structures that are conveniently forgot about. Some were hundreds of feet across and dozens of feet high, forming complex images when viewed from the sky. We literally plowed over these sacred burial mounds for farming until they were flat. Because our ancestors literally destroyed their history and peoples, assholes like Crowder can more easily push that there was no culture to begin with. So, thanks for helping to keep the White Man seen as destructive, narcissistic douchebags in your pathetic attempt at "comedy", you ignorant prick.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Scalping was popularized by Europeans as well. :eng101:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
hmm this sounds familiar

"Putin is too soft, too delicate … Just try to do that when Brezhnev was in power. Five minutes and Turkey wouldn't exist."

You could change a few names and it's something Hannity would say

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

baw posted:

hmm this sounds familiar

"Putin is too soft, too delicate … Just try to do that when Brezhnev was in power. Five minutes and Turkey wouldn't exist."

I too long for complete nuclear annihilation of humanity

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's tough to put into words how thoroughly an incredibly fascinating and advanced culture gets poo poo on in our classes. I just tried and failed. Read books that people suggest. It'll really open your eyes. Then, once your eyes are open, imagine how things would be different if smallpox wasn't a thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

baw posted:

hmm this sounds familiar

I find it funny that some of the american right who think Putin is the manliest man that ever manned. when he is viewed as a pussy manlet in russia.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

FMguru posted:

Reading 1491 by Charles Mann really opened my eyes.

Same here! Native Americans didn't domesticate the horse because THEY DIDN'T EXIST ON THE CONTINENT YOU IDIOT. However, they sure picked up the basics real quick for an 'uncivilized' society (developing the Appaloosa breed among other things).

Also any excuse to link this again, humanity in a nutshell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evIyrrjTTY

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

baw posted:

hmm this sounds familiar

I can't believe I just thought of this now but I'd imagine Trump would do really well as a politician in Russia, he seems to embody everything that Russians want out of their leaders.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Moktaro posted:

Same here! Native Americans didn't domesticate the horse because THEY DIDN'T EXIST ON THE CONTINENT YOU IDIOT. However, they sure picked up the basics real quick for an 'uncivilized' society (developing the Appaloosa breed among other things).

Also any excuse to link this again, humanity in a nutshell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evIyrrjTTY

there is a very very good native american museum on the Pequot reservation in Connecticut. it mostly deals with the pequot tribes and east coast natives buts Its really well done and fascinating. http://www.pequotmuseum.org/default.aspx

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

MaxxBot posted:

I can't believe I just thought of this now but I'd imagine Trump would do really well as a politician in Russia, he seems to embody everything that Russians want out of their leaders.

Yeah but he doesn't drink, ergo he would never fit in with the Russians.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Radish posted:

Crowder just tries so hard it's cloying. He really needs to have the pure hate, lazy smugness, and hipster attire of Matt Walsh to actually piss me off.

Yep. The only emotions I've ever felt from his various tweets and videos are pity and maybe some second hand embarrassment

All his work reeks of middle school.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I still find it hilarious (and also depressing) that France is still moving forward with its plans to take in 30,000 more Syrian refugees after a massive terrorist attack but the True Right WIng American Patriots© are bending over backwards and fighting to see who can be more cowardly and afraid to the point where they are somehow not even as brave as France; A country they universally loathe and make fun of every chance they get.

They paint their political enemies as "French". Dijon Mustard and "Freedom Fries" and all that poo poo. Now they're acting like xenophobic cowards and their role models are somehow Russia and France.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RasperFat posted:

The bullshit level of labeling Native Americans savages with primitive culture cannot be understated. There was a massive production and trade network, in-depth agricultural knowledge, and massive mound structures that are conveniently forgot about. Some were hundreds of feet across and dozens of feet high, forming complex images when viewed from the sky. We literally plowed over these sacred burial mounds for farming until they were flat. Because our ancestors literally destroyed their history and peoples, assholes like Crowder can more easily push that there was no culture to begin with. So, thanks for helping to keep the White Man seen as destructive, narcissistic douchebags in your pathetic attempt at "comedy", you ignorant prick.

Yea. There are literally Native peoples we will never know of because their entire civilizations were destroyed before some European took the effort to find out about them. I think it was the Conquistador DeSoto that raped a burned his way across the gulf coast, and the priests he had with him talked about civilizations there that were on the level of the Aztecs and Incas with complex cities and farms. Whomever didn't die from swords to the face died from diseases left behind.

I agree that the patronizing view many of the left take of Native peoples is almost as harmful as the idea that they were blood thirsty savages. Making them seem like literal magical beings really diminishes their actual accomplishments.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I agree that the patronizing view many of the left take of Native peoples is almost as harmful as the idea that they were blood thirsty savages. Making them seem like literal magical beings really diminishes their actual accomplishments.

Pretending everything was a happy wonderland where everybody got along is an extremely common line of thought that applies globally. It's everything you can do to convince somebody that we used to be in a near constant state of war with death in battle being the equivalent of heart disease today. To convince somebody that we also used to eat each other extremely commonly? Impossible

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

BiggerBoat posted:

I still find it hilarious (and also depressing) that France is still moving forward with its plans to take in 30,000 more Syrian refugees after a massive terrorist attack but the True Right WIng American Patriots© are bending over backwards and fighting to see who can be more cowardly and afraid to the point where they are somehow not even as brave as France; A country they universally loathe and make fun of every chance they get.

They paint their political enemies as "French". Dijon Mustard and "Freedom Fries" and all that poo poo. Now they're acting like xenophobic cowards and their role models are somehow Russia and France.

Helping the poor and the destitute isn't brave, since you aren't out killing some of them (whatever you have labelled as the bad guys). Sending troops to die pointlessly in Iraq while raiding the public treasury to fund defense contractors is somehow "brave". Bombing Iran would be considered "brave", regardless of the actual outcome or situation on the ground if this was also coupled with an invasion.

Their definition of brave differs greatly from the rest of western society. They also have very little idea about what France has done militarily, and still does.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

twistedmentat posted:

Yea. There are literally Native peoples we will never know of because their entire civilizations were destroyed before some European took the effort to find out about them. I think it was the Conquistador DeSoto that raped a burned his way across the gulf coast, and the priests he had with him talked about civilizations there that were on the level of the Aztecs and Incas with complex cities and farms. Whomever didn't die from swords to the face died from diseases left behind.

There's a very :smith: story about the last native of Florida dying in a Havana cell. This during the Spanish years of Florida, before the Seminoles were driven willing migrated into Florida.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

yeah. I always never got the utopian pedistal people put the aztecs on. I mean i can understand why the Mexican people do. They carved out an empire and built a high tech city. but holy gently caress the mass amounts ritual killings for religion is scary as poo poo on the level of European stuff. that alienated the other tribes(who didnt practice religious sacrifice) so bad that they sided with cortez. I find it sad. you have this beautiful city and sociaty but the core of the religion was litteraly blood for the sun god. I mean the spanish were worse but i never get why some people excuse the stuff the aztec did.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. I always never got the utopian pedistal people put the aztecs on. I mean i can understand why the Mexican people do. They carved out an empire and built a high tech city. but holy gently caress the mass amounts ritual killings for religion is scary as poo poo on the level of European stuff. that alienated the other tribes(who didnt practice religious sacrifice) so bad that they sided with cortez. I find it sad. you have this beautiful city and sociaty but the core of the religion was litteraly blood for the sun god. I mean the spanish were worse but i never get why some people excuse the stuff the aztec did.

Partially it's the relative badness of the Spanish, and partially it's typical noble savage stuff.

Another good example is the Iroquois Constitution. There was a thread not too long ago saying what a great document it is and how this is proof that the Natives were truly enlightened compared to us modern day folk. If you read between the lines however, you'd see that those provisions only applied if you were a member of their federation. If you weren't, then the Iroquois would hunt down your tribe, slaughter you, and take your land and resources (we even have other Native Americans accounts of them doing this).

I mean, par the course for humanity, but far from the stereotype we probably grew up with.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 193 days!
Having worked personally with the Sto:lo in BC as a history student in grad school, the attitude was very much "we want to know about and speak about our past and that includes both our accomplishments and the less pleasant parts."

In the case of the Sto:lo and other societies in the Pacific Northwest, the good parts were extremely complex fishing societies, the bad part was enslaving each other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

computer parts posted:

Partially it's the relative badness of the Spanish, and partially it's typical noble savage stuff.

Another good example is the Iroquois Constitution. There was a thread not too long ago saying what a great document it is and how this is proof that the Natives were truly enlightened compared to us modern day folk. If you read between the lines however, you'd see that those provisions only applied if you were a member of their federation. If you weren't, then the Iroquois would hunt down your tribe, slaughter you, and take your land and resources (we even have other Native Americans accounts of them doing this).

I mean, par the course for humanity, but far from the stereotype we probably grew up with.

i rember my anthropology teacher saying that that was the real inspiration behind the american one and not them reading a ton Cato the Younger and venerating the roman republic. I believe both were probably an influence.

Hodgepodge posted:

Having worked personally with the Sto:lo in BC as a history student in grad school, the attitude was very much "we want to know about and speak about our past and that includes both our accomplishments and the less pleasant parts."

In the case of the Sto:lo and other societies in the Pacific Northwest, the good parts were extremely complex fishing societies, the bad part was enslaving each other.

I am also a history major and that's how i feel. you should try to present histories and cultures relatively unbiased. show both the good things and the bad and try to learn from both. Neither extreme wants to do that.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Native Americans were not civilized because they didn't use the wheel of domesticate horses

Yeah, gently caress those guys for not domesticating an animal they didn't have access to. And not having any other animals that could pull something with a wheel and axle

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Crowder a man with no academic background is the primary history teacher to wingnut youtubers.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

Crowder a man with no academic background is the primary history teacher to wingnut youtubers.

They wouldn't have it any other way.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

Nonsense posted:

"The best of the public"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

King Metal posted:

Yeah, gently caress those guys for not domesticating an animal they didn't have access to. And not having any other animals that could pull something with a wheel and axle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_contributions

Holy loving poo poo.

Like this just makes Crowder look even more idiotic. The Native Americans invented things like FREEZE DRIED FOOD for god's sake.

uncivilized "savages" my rear end.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Those savage indians fighting. Not like us civilized Europeans who never go to war with each other.

Not to mention, by the time the Puritans arrived the level of endemic warfare in the Eastern Woodlands had massively declined due to the establishment of the Iroquois and Huron Confederacies, advanced societies. He's wrong on multiple levels, but Ezra Levant is licking his sack and saying it's ~historically~ accurate.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone read this?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I wonder if Crowder's jokes would be funny if Carlos Mencia told them.

Would Mencia even stoop so low to steal Crowder's material?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Irom posted:

Anyone read this?

i need too. i have heard its pretty good

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2015/11/25/5-facts-to-silence-your-smug-millennial-nephew-this-thanksgiving/

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

quote:

Young people have much higher unemployment rates. They might argue this reflects that young people do worse in weak economies and always have higher jobless rates. But if their opinions about Syria are so great, then how come nobody wants to hire them?

Wait what does this have to do...with...getting hired? ...what?

This whole article just makes me just imagine a scene at a dinner with some uncle or grandparent rambling about this. The unemployed recent college grad is sitting there, and then just...snaps...suddenly a screaming match erupts..food is thrown around, plates broken. Another family dinner ruined by some rear end in a top hat.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2015/11/25/5-facts-to-silence-your-smug-millennial-nephew-this-thanksgiving/

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Wait what does this have to do...with...getting hired? ...what?

This whole article just makes me just imagine a scene at a dinner with some uncle or grandparent rambling about this. The unemployed recent college grad is sitting there, and then just...snaps...suddenly a screaming match erupts..food is thrown around, plates broken. Another family dinner ruined by some rear end in a top hat.

Has the WSJ always been such a trash garbage newspaper? Didn't they run a "UHHHH HEY GUYS TIME TO START SPENDING, ALL YOUR EMPLOYERS JUST GOT HUGE TAX BREAKS AND OBVIOUSLY THAT TRICKLED DOWN TO YOU BY NOW" article a few weeks ago too, or was that Forbes?

Also those response zingers they suggest are just hilarious. The whole thing is just "establish that the lovely economy is their fault, then use that to pivot to stuff that results from a lovely economy ALSO being their fault and ALSO this is why the economy is lovely"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Has the WSJ always been such a trash garbage newspaper? Didn't they run a "UHHHH HEY GUYS TIME TO START SPENDING, ALL YOUR EMPLOYERS JUST GOT HUGE TAX BREAKS AND OBVIOUSLY THAT TRICKLED DOWN TO YOU BY NOW" article a few weeks ago too, or was that Forbes?

Also those response zingers they suggest are just hilarious. The whole thing is just "establish that the lovely economy is their fault, then use that to pivot to stuff that results from a lovely economy ALSO being their fault and ALSO this is why the economy is lovely"

The WSJ was always a bunch of conservative assholes, but they went full wing after Rupert Murdoch bought them, like 10 years ago now or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The WSJ was known for being a damned good newspaper with a batshit insane editorial section. The line between news and opinion seems like a quaint relic of a bygone era at this point though and possibly never existed in the first place.

The question seems to be if the reason the "news" section was able to be enjoyed in the past by people who weren't currently overseeing the clubbing of baby seals was because the news staff leaned left and the editorial staff leaned right or if it was because a sober and objective reporting of facts suggests a liberal bias to a modern observer.