Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Inspector_666 posted:

So it's yet another "Learn Powershell, get paid fat stacks" things?

On second thought, I'm betting "Hybrid Exchange" is something desired and in which case that's some serious heavy lifting.

Or I really undercut myself at my last position. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

On second thought, I'm betting "Hybrid Exchange" is something desired and in which case that's some serious heavy lifting.

Or I really undercut myself at my last position. :smith:

Yep, Hybrid Exchange + ADFS + AD Connect and you're talking those ranges. Upper range easily when you start talking multiforest uplifts, 3rd party auth, divestitures/mergers in the mix. Certainly a good market to stay busy in but Microsoft is changing the way they contribute to the professional services vouchers side of the mix, so theres some flux in the market. If you can learn it though its absolutely :10bux: :pcgaming: :10bux:

There are absolutely some places that are willing to pay up there without the hybrid piece too though, just need to be able to speak to the full suite (SfB Online, Sharepoint, etc) more at that rate.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

AutoArgus posted:

Certainly a good market to stay busy in but Microsoft is changing the way they contribute to the professional services vouchers side of the mix, so theres some flux in the market. If you can learn it though its absolutely :10bux: :pcgaming: :10bux:

There are absolutely some places that are willing to pay up there without the hybrid piece too though, just need to be able to speak to the full suite (SfB Online, Sharepoint, etc) more at that rate.

What do you mean by the way Microsoft is changing services? Are they bringing more of the consulting piece in-house?

I'm able to do basic O365 but I'm becoming well-versed in the whole ADFS/AzureAD/Dirsync bits but I've got at least a year left on my current contract.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

What do you mean by the way Microsoft is changing services? Are they bringing more of the consulting piece in-house?

I'm able to do basic O365 but I'm becoming well-versed in the whole ADFS/AzureAD/Dirsync bits but I've got at least a year left on my current contract.

I'm not the most informed on all the details, but it used to be that depending on the number of seats in the migration, Microsoft would front a certain amount of money for hiring consultant services. They've got an in-house/contracted on-boarding center now however that has been taking on more of the groundwork for getting people living in O365, rather than paying out. There's a fair amount of things that they explicitly won't do (public folders as an example), what they're willing to provide funds for, but theyve changed that in the past, so its a bit murky what their next plans are in that arena.

That being said, it's still a good skillset to be had, consulting or not. Put the word 'cloud' on anything and you've got long-time CIOs getting scared and confused pretty frequently. I've had some clients go so far as to hire dedicated 'Cloud Ops Managers' to be their go-to what-the-hell-are-we-doing-with-clouds 9-5 guy.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I guess I should give this a shot :ohdear:

My experience: I recently finished my AS - [Computer] Science and I have 3yrs desktop/server support as an assistant to the sole network administrator while in High School, comfortable with Python, Java. Some experience with C++, Ruby. Dabbled in Scala, Perl. Have some Active Directory/GPO experience (Server 2000/2003). Some experience with Cisco and Meraki Routers/Switches/AP's. Server management Debian/CentOS, exposure to Puppet and Splunk but nothing on the enterprise scale. I started studying for CCNA a few years back but dropped it due to lack of time. I have some experience with PostgreSQL and MySQL too, so a low-level Database position would be great too!
What I'm looking for:Most likely something entry level, but perhaps a low Jr. position if I can swing some of my experience into it. I'm just recently out of school and have decided it's time to get on the career path. I really don't mind programming or sysadmin so I'm certainly interested in a DevOps position, but I'm also interested in more specialized roles, NOC/DC, Storage and Virtualization. I would ultimately like to finish my B.S. in the next few years but financially it's just not feasible for me right now.
What I'm NOT looking for:Jerks. I realize I'm coming into this late, with little-no experience, but I'm an extremely quick study, love learning new things and am not the type of person to bother people with mundane questions that are easily solvable by looking on my own first.
Where I live: Oregon
Where I'm looking:Most feasible for me right now would be either Portland, OR or Seattle, WA but I would be open to relocation to Austin, Denver or Chicago and if I threw a moonshot out there Vancouver B.C. or NYC.
When I can start:For anything in the Portland or Seattle area I would be able to start within a week maybe two. If more extensive relocation is required, I would probably require 1-1.5 months.
Requirements: Full-time, benefits, some PTO would be nice and some light WFH would be great.
Can be reached via: PM or <username>@gmail.com and I'll email you back from a more suitable account.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 1, 2015

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The company I work for is hiring a Senior DevOps person in Chicago, IL. The posting is here.

e: Now with working link

The interview process is a hangup for some people. There's a brief phone call with an internal recruiter who is a super nice dude, followed by a short FizzBuzz-style quiz (I think it's 4 questions?) which you have some amount of time to finish and email back. If that goes well you'll be invited to do a small project relevant to the position and then show it off/talk about it over Google Hangouts. There's a blog article about the hangouts interview here.

As with all potential employers I'd recommend checking out the company glassdoor, where you'll find a good mix of feedback from people who really liked the hangouts interview and others who thought it was insulting and a waste of their time. I don't have PMs but I can attempt to answer any questions you might have at stmarier at gmail dot com as well.

From what I understand, we are looking for someone who is particularly well versed in CI/CD systems for this role so if that's you, I would absolutely encourage you to apply even if you might not meet the other qualifications on the posting.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 5, 2015

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Anybody willing to relocate to the Cayman Islands? We're looking for a senior backend dev, 5+ years of experience, proficient in Python/Perl/PHP (but mostly Python), Linux, XML, RabbitMQ, Redis, etc.
Tiny tropical paradise island, good pay, on-site chef, no income tax. We're a domain name registrar.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Senso posted:

Anybody willing to relocate to the Cayman Islands? We're looking for a senior backend dev, 5+ years of experience, proficient in Python/Perl/PHP (but mostly Python), Linux, XML, RabbitMQ, Redis, etc.
Tiny tropical paradise island, good pay, on-site chef, no income tax. We're a domain name registrar.

gently caress I would do that in a heartbeat if I knew ANY of that poo poo :(

You sure you don't need a sys admin/jr network admin instead?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

MF_James posted:

gently caress I would do that in a heartbeat if I knew ANY of that poo poo :(

You sure you don't need a sys admin/jr network admin instead?

We just hired a new sysadmin but we might still be looking for a new one. I'll ask around and PM you if we do.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
drat add me to that list if you want a senior sys admin/senior network guy (Also a british citizen if that helps the entire migration process)

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Is entry level Linux admin a thing? I've worked help desk and I've got home lab experience and my RHCSA, but every job wants 5+ years of enterprise support. Is there such a thing where I can shadow a senior admin and learn how to do all of this in a more professional setting? I'm not totally useless, I swear!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If you have your RHCSA I'd just apply. Certifications can be a little flaky but Red Hat ones are very well done.

If anything, Rackspace might be interested. I don't work there but maybe some of RS goons could chime in.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I received a tentative offer from a company as a result of this thread/the spreadsheet. Thanks kind goon for help with the referral. :yotj:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Anybody here currently or in the past worked for support.com? I had my interview almost 3 weeks ago and they just keep telling me there isn't a training class open yet, but won't tell me when one might start. Was wondering what other's experiences were like.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Job Posting

Boston, MA. Walking distance from North Station. Paid relocation available

Who We Are
Subsidiary of TripAdvisor focused on building outstanding software platforms for finding, booking, and advertising trips.

What We Need
We have multiple openings for Senior Linux Systems Engineers. We're looking to build a team with complementary skills, so there's definitely a spectrum here. The key word is "Senior". We're seeking people with both broad and deep experience, and compensation and responsibilities reflect that. Our team builds and supports the infrastructure where our developers' code runs, in collaboration with the dev teams. We take "DevOps" to heart.

Why Work Here?
Very competetive salary and benefits (health, retirement w/ match, stock, reimbursements for lots of common expenses)
Catered lunch several times per week. Free snacks and drinks.
We get the freedom of a startup inside of a larger corporation with deep pockets that we can leverage when necessary
Work on small teams that directly impact the success of the business

If you have experience with some of these, we'd love to hear from you!:
Strong Linux expertise (this is the only hard requirement)
Configuration management tools (any vendor, we use Chef)
Basic networking experience, intermediate+ is a major bonus
Basic to intermediate database experience
Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Jenkins, version control tools like Git, continuous integration/delivery, testing, etc)
Experience supporting public-facing, highly available web applications
Comfortable writing scripts
Virtualization and/or cloud computing experience
NoSQL technologies such as Redis and ElasticSearch
Interpersonal communication skills. You'll be working with developers and business stakeholders daily

Interested?
I realize that was quite the laundry list. We're not looking for all of those skills on day 1, but that's a good overview of what you'll deal with in your first six months. This is not an "asked me to literally pick up trash" SH/SC horror story. We're offering compensation in line with the requirements :)

If you'd like to talk, send me a PM or email jhenry 82 at the google mail thing

For what it's worth, I used the paid relocation services. So if you're thinking of applying and would need to move, I can speak to that personally.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 12, 2015

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Job Posting

Who We Are
Four year old small slow-grown e-commerce website offering drop-in solutions for well-established brands. Currently ~100 million monthly visitors with 2 million registered members.

What We Need
Front-end engineer with working knowledge of Javascript, jQuery, CSS, and HTML
Full stack TDD Ruby engineer. Experience in Postgres, React, and building RESTful APIs are a plus.

Why Work Here?
Extremely laid back environment where you get to push the needle and make a difference.
Standard small company stuff (keg, stocked beers, macbook w/ 27" Cinema Display, etc.)
100%-paid company-sponsored health insurance plan.
Fully stocked kitchen with good food; no hot pockets or any crap like that.
Office that is literally 25 feet from the beach. Community surf boards, volleyball gear, etc.

Interested?
If you'd like to talk, send me a PM or email dan@stackcommerce.com

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Edit: I found the Working in IT thread, I'll ask there

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

Job Posting

Who We Are
10+ year old tech business in downtown San Francisco. I used to be the IT Manager there, and I'm trying to help them fill the position.

What We Need
IT Manager with full Microsoft skillset. Office runs 100% Microsoft services on a VMWare pool. Server 2012, Lync (Migrating away), Exchange, Sharepoint, DirectAccess. Network hardware is Cisco and Juniper running dual stack IPv4/IPv6. The candidate must be willing to learn new things, look up new technologies and be willing to juggle both server and network admin while helping with the occasional printer jam. Also need someone who can help guide some services to "my butt" - everything is locally hosted, but it would nice to get things outside. Be comfortable with Office 365.

Why Work Here?
Work in downtown San Francisco, steps from BART and other transit.
You'll get to play with all kinds of software and hardware, expanding your knowledge as you go.
Ability to make up your own projects and help guide the company the right direction.
Snacks, coffee, friday beers & happy hours, and nice people.

Interested?
If you'd like to talk, send me a PM or email aaron.pollock@outlook.com and I can chat with you about what the job is like and pass on your resume if it's a good fit. Or - skip me entirely and apply directly on http://3vr.com/about/careers/it-manager.

aaronp fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 16, 2015

Hui Tai Lang
Dec 31, 2009

Just a feeler. I'm a sysadmin at a North American embassy in Asia, but looking to relocate back to St. Louis in the near future. Does anyone have any leads/ideas? (I'm American if that matters).

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I know in my market it's not easy to land an infrastructure job remotely even from within the states. Not to be discouraging, but it's going to be tough to land something from another continent. Best bet is to roll the dice and just get here, then network your rear end off.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Job Posting

~40minutes from Philadelphia during rush hour traffic.

Who We Are:
Monstrously large and growing asset management company that thinks it's a software company as much of what we provide is essentially SaaS.

What We Need:
Two open slots:

An entry level Linux Sysadmin.
o A four-year degree specializing in Computer Science, MIS, Mathematics, Physics, or Engineering.
o Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
o Solid understanding of Linux fundamentals.
o Programming experience in at least one of the following: Java, Python or Perl or shell scripting experience.
o Basic understanding of SQL

A mid-level Linux Sysadmin.
o A four-year degree specializing in Computer Science, MIS, Mathematics, Physics, or Engineering.
o Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Experience in creating technical documentation.
o Solid understanding of RHEL
o Experience in programming configuration management and automation.
o Experience with messaging technologies such as WebSphere MQ, SWIFT or FIX is desirable.
o Familiarity with planning and executing DRs, migrations etc
o Strong leadership and troubleshooting skills - you must be able to take charge and lead during an outage.

Why Work Here?
+Decent salary, bonuses, employee stock purchase program.
+Stable and growing company.
+Small friendly US team. The entire group is ~80 but you will be part of the Delaware team which is ~10 people.
+Good growth potential. You will interact with pretty much every single other IT group in the firm and have an understanding of their work; we are big on internal mobility.
+Follow the sun on-call schedule - we won't wake you up at 3am.
+You will get to work on a wide variety of technologies.
+You can have decent work/life balance if you just focus on the operational aspect of what we do.

Why NOT Work Here?
-On-Call Schedule yes it follows the sun, but if you're on call you absolutely have to be in the office 10am – 6pm during winter DST and 11am-7pm during the summer. Somebody does have to work holidays and weekends.
-This is an operations job supporting an overwhelmingly critical environment - doing 500 things right is overshadowed by a single mistake that causes an outage. Care and attention to detail is paramount - everyone makes mistakes but good luck explaining why you rm'd the wrong directory.
-This is mostly a support position; engineering projects come and go and won't fall into your lap on their own - but the bread and butter is tickets, phone calls and outage troubleshooting and other generally mundane sysadmin tasks.
-Much of what we support is in-house software, if you're just looking to build your resume, you won't score all that many keywords here.
-Work can totally take over your life if you get heavily into engineering or onboarding projects - and you'll need to if you want to move up.

Interested?
PM me or email agloukhoff@gmail.com and I will have HR reach out to you officially or provide even more detail.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

FileNotFound posted:

Job Posting

~40minutes from Philadelphia during rush hour traffic.

Who We Are:
Monstrously large and growing asset management company that thinks it's a software company as much of what we provide is essentially SaaS.

What We Need:
Two open slots:

o Programming experience in at least one of the following: Java, Python or Perl or shell scripting experience.

A mid-level Linux Sysadmin.
o Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Experience in creating technical documentation.
o Solid understanding of RHEL
o Experience in programming configuration management and automation.
o Experience with messaging technologies such as WebSphere MQ, SWIFT or FIX is desirable.
o Familiarity with planning and executing DRs, migrations etc
o Strong leadership and troubleshooting skills - you must be able to take charge and lead during an outage.

Why Work Here?
+Decent salary, bonuses, employee stock purchase program.
+Stable and growing company.
+Small friendly US team. The entire group is ~80 but you will be part of the Delaware team which is ~10 people.
+Good growth potential. You will interact with pretty much every single other IT group in the firm and have an understanding of their work; we are big on internal mobility.
+Follow the sun on-call schedule - we won't wake you up at 3am.
+You will get to work on a wide variety of technologies.
+You can have decent work/life balance if you just focus on the operational aspect of what we do.

Why NOT Work Here?
-On-Call Schedule yes it follows the sun, but if you're on call you absolutely have to be in the office 10am – 6pm during winter DST and 11am-7pm during the summer. Somebody does have to work holidays and weekends.
-This is an operations job supporting an overwhelmingly critical environment - doing 500 things right is overshadowed by a single mistake that causes an outage. Care and attention to detail is paramount - everyone makes mistakes but good luck explaining why you rm'd the wrong directory.
-This is mostly a support position; engineering projects come and go and won't fall into your lap on their own - but the bread and butter is tickets, phone calls and outage troubleshooting and other generally mundane sysadmin tasks.
-Much of what we support is in-house software, if you're just looking to build your resume, you won't score all that many keywords here.
-Work can totally take over your life if you get heavily into engineering or onboarding projects - and you'll need to if you want to move up.

Interested?
PM me or email agloukhoff@gmail.com and I will have HR reach out to you officially or provide even more detail.

This is a long shot, but would you be willing to entertain relocation from the West Coast?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Sadly I'm a Windows Sysadmin/Engineer, not a Linux one or else I'd jump at that opportunity. I even live in Wilmington. :(

I figure I'll throw this out there and see if there are any takers.

Job Seeker

Who am I?: A Systems Admin/Engineer with 5+ years of experience.

I have experience working in primarily the financial sector, so I'm aware of the various hoopjumping an organization has to go through to satisfy those requirements.

I'm in charge of our SCCM environment, application publishing, and to a larger extent our entire desktop infrastructure. I'm also the primary owner of our monitoring platform (Solarwinds), and I built a large portion of the automation having to do with it. Additionally I'm part of our Server Infrastructure team, meaning I address DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, NPS, the typical domain services that I haven't mentioned, etc. etc. Lots and lots of experience with Active Directory and Group Policy Management. We're a VMWare shop.

Most of what we once installed manually or through PSExec I've managed to transition over to SCCM using the Application Catalog, and we've moved almost entirely to a self-service model.

What I'm looking for
Something different, probably something along the lines of Mid-Level Systems Admin/Engineer. I'd like to work towards a Senior role. I'm leaving because I'm frankly tired of the financial sector and I feel that I've topped out on how I can grow in this organization. I'm also interested in opportunities to work with Linux.

What I'm not looking for
Helpdesk or NOC. I'm looking for something that focuses more on projects than tickets, although I'm not completely opposed to the latter.

Where I'm Looking For It
Around the Wilmington, DE area, though I'm not opposed at all to relocating.

Requirements
Health and 401k.

Just looking for something new, quite frankly.

How to reach me: email rootc3llar AT gmail Dot com

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Tigren posted:

This is a long shot, but would you be willing to entertain relocation from the West Coast?

I won't say no - but the odds would not be in your favor. Basically we'd have to exhaust the option of finding someone local and it would only be considered as part of final salary negotiations.

Edit: Drop me an email if you're interested; worst that we'll do it give you some interview practice and maybe a free trip to the east coast.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 26, 2015

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

Is a bachelor's 100% required for this?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Undersea Magic posted:

Is a bachelor's 100% required for this?

Unfortunately. It's a core company wide requirement.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
4 IT Job Postings - numerous others.

Service Desk Tech - looking for the self starter constant learner type that can move to sysadmin work quickly. Joining a team of 3.

Salesforce Admin / Web Dev

Engineering Systems Analyst (Creo and Windchill)

ERP Analyst position posting soon.

Cool work environment. Awesome product. Great team. PM me if you apply.

KS fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 29, 2016

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Job Posting

Dallas, TX

Android Developer

What We're Looking For -
Ideally, be able to show that you've got a few mobile projects under your belt and can hit the ground running. Be a decent Java developer. Being a bit junior is fine - but know enough that you can get to the point of writing and maintaining simple Android apps from end to end pretty quickly, if you're not there already. If you're not there already, prove that you can learn, and that you want to learn.

Who We Are -
Well-to-do startup in Dallas, TX, growing rapidly, with a number of impressive partnerships and investors, among them some of the most profitable companies in the world. Awesome location, badass office space and amenities, great company culture. Stark contrast to many of the huge enterprises you'll typically find hiring up devs in DFW, we're very relaxed and open. Competitive salary and benefits with what you'd find elsewhere in DFW. Hands down the most interesting work you'll get your hands on as a mobile developer in the area - not client services and not enterprise, not boring. You won't be pigeonholed and you'll learn tons here.

Cons -
Standard disclaimer you'd find for most startups. No one's forcing us to work crazy long hours or weekends, but startups are startups. Plenty of us work standard 9-5, but there's always going to be more pressure, and scarier deadlines, by virtue of what a startup is.

PM me if you're interested, or know someone who might be. I'm the hiring manager for this listing, so if it seems like a good fit, I'll be able to move things along personally - not just pass it off to HR.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 6, 2015

Kashekya
Dec 11, 2003

Pillbug

Kashekya fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 8, 2016

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Putting myself back on the market, this time I'm specifically looking to move from San Antonio, TX to Austin, TX and stay there for at least 2-3 years.

Who am I?
A systems engineer with 10 years of experience, the last two of which have been focused almost exclusively on systems design and architecture. Mainly Windows-focused, though I do have RHCSA and AWS Solutions Architect certs. I like to work with a wide range of technologies and don't consider myself an evangelist for any particular platform or company. I have a bachelor's degree in IT Management from WGU.

What I'm looking for:
An engineering/architecture role in Austin, TX. My current team is going into the next year with a reduced budget, so I'm going to be doing a lot of operational/admin work since we won't have the money for big new projects.

What I'm not looking for:
Sysadmin or other operational jobs. I like designing things.

Where I'm looking:
Austin, TX. North Austin/RR preferred, but I can handle a commute for the right opportunity.

Requirements:
Salary is important, I've been underpaid for awhile, but benefits are crucial. Great medical, retirement and other perks like gym or gym membership, childcare, etc are a priority for me.

How to reach me:
raaghassi at gmail, or PM me here.

Dewbag
Nov 4, 2009

Hui Tai Lang posted:

Just a feeler. I'm a sysadmin at a North American embassy in Asia, but looking to relocate back to St. Louis in the near future. Does anyone have any leads/ideas? (I'm American if that matters).

CenturyLink have a large base in St Louis since taking over CoLo, Managed Hosting and Cloud company Savvis. They're always hiring all levels of sysadmins in Windows and Unix.
http://www dot indeed dot com/q-Centurylink-l-St.-Louis,-MO-jobs.html

I'm UK based but I know they're a big presence in St Louis.

Leave me a PM if you want more specifics, I don't check SA as much as I used to but hope I can help.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Job posting

Location: Menlo Park, CA (Silicon Valley); possibly Seattle (or maaaaaybe London) for exceptional candidate with remote work experience. We do relo.

Who we are: Facebook. Specifically, Facebook Security Infrastructure.

What I need: 2-3 senior Android or iOS developers to build mobile application security infrastructure for the most used (and attacked) applications in the world.

Requirements/desiderata:
  • Experience working with large development teams on large code bases. You will get lost in the code, you need to be able to find your way out.
  • Deep systems-level understanding of your system of choice. You need to know what happens under the lifecycle APIs, and the difference between what the docs say and what really happens at the edge cases. (Especially on Android, where OS version matters shoooot meeeee.)
  • At the very least a strong interest in security: data protection, threat modeling, that sort of thing. You don't need to be an expert with years professional security experience, but you should be able to follow along with a BlackHat talk about mobile.
  • Good understanding of developer ergonomics. Using new security infrastructure should be easier than using the stuff we want to replace, not the opposite.
  • Interpersonal/organization-shifting abilities. Some of our work will require convincing developers to do things differently, and security is a cross-functional thing.
  • Curious and exploratory: we're going to have to find new threats, and new ways of finding threats, and look at ways to immunize against them.

Why you should work here:
  • Incredible impact. Literally improving the security and privacy of a billion people.
  • Very good comp and benefits. All the usual silicon valley food and laundry and whatnot, plus things like 4 months parental leave. Annual equity refreshers.
  • Possibly-surprising amount of investment in developing people's careers and abilities. Lots of structured stuff, and managers are evaluated on it. We have engineering bands that are identical in comp to our VPs.
  • Internal transparency is very high, you'll get to see what everyone is doing and politely contribute.
  • Huge inter-team mobility within engineering. Many people change teams every year. I've worked on mobile apps, VR, AI, and now security.
  • Honestly, I'm a really good manager. Happy to connect people with former reports during the interview process.

Why you might not want to work here:
  • It's not a small company, so if you want to be in a tight-knit group of 20 you'll find it at the meta-team level but not the whole company obviously.
  • Living in Silicon Valley has its downsides; the commute from SF is sort of annoying.
  • People will bother you about name policy, objectionable content, hoaxes, locked accounts, etc.
  • Post-IPO, so you probably won't make 8 figgies over your initial vest.

Interested? Send me a PM. I'm the hiring manager, happy to have a chat about the position. Very grateful for leads too. If referral bonuses are mod-approved, I'll pay $500 out of pocket for a candidate we hire. If not then I will just think very highly of you.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 10, 2015

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Anyone in here looking to hire people for embedded/industrial automation firmware?

On a side note, I've also been working recently on developing .NET apps to interface with our devices, how possible is it to transition and is anyone here interested in hiring someone from a non-CS engineering background?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
ID/PS Engineer, Probably in Sydney, relocation may be possible if you're incredibly great.

http://rfer.us/IBEej31nib

e: More information, phoneposted at work.

Senior professional position, ~70k-90k starting pay. If you have significant IDS/IPS/SIEM knowledge you're a shoe-in. Specifically looking for Juniper (IDS module), Proventia, Qradar skills. First year you will get to be the new guy and deal with all the bullshit reporting and documenting stuff.

iRend fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 21, 2015

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Job posting

Location: Oslo, Norway. We can do relocation, but no visa sponsoring.

Who we are: The Norwegian team (3 people) of Nordcloud, a larger Finnish company (~60 ish). We consult for all kinds of companies and set up cloud infrastructure stuff (AWS, GCP, Azure) for various kinds of projects. We hire people directly with a fixed salary, no contracting.

What we need: Somebody with a sysadmin or backend developer background who feels qualified to do both hands-on operations tasks as well as somewhat more high-level design/architecture tasks. Ideally you're someone with an interest in quality software.
If you speak a Scandinavian language, or if you think that you would actually learn Norwegian, that would be a bonus. It's not a hard requirement though.

Check this posting for more information and if you're interested, either contact us through that or ping me directly.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
This is probably a long shot due to the way money works and my lack of experience but:

Job seeker

My experience
Nothing official, unfortunately. I've been the go-to tech guy at my last two long-standing jobs, so I mostly have just been handling help desk work for internal teams so they didn't have to call our external help desk. I've written a lot of For Dummies internal guides because our staff where I am currently located tends to be around 50-60 years old and has no clue how to use simple point and click programs. Built my own computer, fixed work computers by swapping out components, done some easy troubleshooting but nothing official. Did some easy tech work for my mother's company when they were in a bind and couldn't get their normal tech person out, but again, nothing official and there's really no certificates under my name.

What I'm looking for
Trying to get my foot in the door somewhere so I can begin working my way up. I'm an extremely quick learner (I know everyone says that, but when I took this job I had never seen the systems we use and after a week of training I was told my skill with these programs was better than people who had been using them for years). Would like to find a place that could help me grow into a better position, though I know that in this industry there's a lot of job hopping.

What I'm NOT looking for
Something with extremely low pay. I'm currently making $17.50 an hour to listen to VIP clients bitch about how bad their travel is, and anything new would require drive time or relocation. So sadly it's gotta pay better than that (which is where this becomes tricky I'm afraid).

Where I live
Metro Detroit (Downriver)

Where I'm looking
Ann Arbor, MI would be my ideal location as my girlfriend works for University of Michigan. Been trying to get my foot in the door there for months but haven't been able to land an interview yet.

When can I start
Within 2 weeks of hire would be easy enough, just so I don't burn a bridge at my current job.

Reqirements
Full time, benefits, some PTO would be nice. Again, would have to be ~$18-20 an hour for me to be able to swing it.

Can be reached via
PM or Chris@Chesno.me

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Job seeker

I have:
-Bachelor's Degree
-Active CCNA Holder
-5 Years experience in system engineering/system administration

My experience

I don't want to prattle off a huge list of projects here so I'll just name a few: I've created and maintained the infrastructure to support a high bandwidth system that delivers video streams, built a WSUS environment for a large windows domain, coded custom scripts (powershell) that worked in combination with a customer's application and basically eliminated a Jr. Sys Admin position as a result (sorry folks), and have administrated a medium-sized Windows domain (typical stuff, patching servers, maintaining DNS, GPO, user permissions etc,).

Networking wise, I've built entire private networks with VPN entry and exit points with Juniper Screen devices (I feel sorry for the folks at my old environment who had to patch all of them in the last few weeks...). I have full working knowledge of the cisco IOS and all of the standard networking fundamentals (VLAN's/VTP, routing and routing protocols, subnetting, etc... hey I'm a CCNA after all). My most interesting project regarding networking involved writing custom scripts in TCL that the cisco IOS would understand to increase the physical security of the environment, though sadly the project was cancelled due to lack of funding and I never got to finish it.

What I'm looking for

System/Network administration at this time, or the right devops team. I'm a windows guy, so applications that run off of that environment I can swing. I'm a journeyman coder and usually utilize it for automation of easy operations and for building reports out of active directory.

What I'm NOT looking for

High level business/sales politics involving the customer. I have been a systems engineer for awhile now, and have been thrown into one too many meetings with the client (with no support from my company) to justify costs of implementation to the customer (that I have no control over), or worse, had to defend a system that was under-specced that our sales people team put together to gain a contract.

Where I live

Washington D.C area, and yes, I have an active one-of-those-things that people really want you to have when working for the Federal government.

Where I'm looking

Washington D.C. area but I am completely willing to relocate. That said, I have a lease until September.

When can I start

As always, I would like to give my current employer a courtesy two-weeks notice, other than that, immediately.

Requirements

Being in the D.C. area with my current credentials, I don't think I could consider a job for less than $90k a year, standard health benefits plan, retirement matching, and some PTO.

Can be reached via

PM me, don't like posting my e-mail.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you want out of the DC area, all the DoD/NSA/Gov stuff here in San Antonio is hot right now. Low cost of living, pretty good quality of life and good pay for people with your skill set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Thanks for the information, I'll poke around that area!