Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't watch the video right now, but I know how the game goes and I know that we have pretty much our last voice actor of note for the rest of the episode. We really met all of the major players last time.

Mad Moxxi is a Borderlands regular voiced by Brina Palencia, another part of the Funimation pool, known as Tony Tony Chopper in One Piece, Rei in the Rebuild of Evangelion series, and the current voice of Chaotzu and Puar in Dragon Ball.

And now that we're done with the first episode's VAs, how are y'all liking this voice actor trivia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
There's obviously some friction between the Hyperion pair and the Pandora pair. Another dynamic that bears watching is how the relationship of the two pairs change internally: how Rhys and Vaughn's as well as Fiona and Sasha's relationships shift as a result of their contact with the other pair.

There's only one thing we can be pretty confident about: considering how they were bitching eachother out when the stranger captured them and brought them together, it seems Rhys and Fiona did not part on good terms.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Gotta be Skeletal Menace. We'll look so stylish, we'll make up our spending when we cross the finish line in first and everybody throws money at us.

That's how races work, right?

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

A boring man. It's hard to tell what he's capable of.
Well, thanks to this LP I ended up buying this game the other day and finished it in the span of a day and a half. And I was planning to not make so many impulse purchases this year...
Not that I regret it in the slightest! This ended up pretty much topping the list of games I played this year, a blast to play through that I'd recommend to pretty much everyone. So thanks for introducing me to it, Kaubocks. I'll definitely still be following the LP, of course.

Anyway, my vote is to go with the Psycho Mask. When it came to spending money in this game, I always went for the most expensive option I could afford, which I regret because it locked me out of some of the really pricey stuff (and there's one that I really want to see later on)

As for relationships, without spoiling much, I tried to be as trusting as I could to most of the main characters, with a few notable exceptions.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Waffleman_ posted:

And now that we're done with the first episode's VAs, how are y'all liking this voice actor trivia?

I think it's interesting! I haven't been commenting much just because I a) know the game and b) know nothing about VAs, but it's nice to see.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Limopalise posted:

This ended up pretty much topping the list of games I played this year, a blast to play through that I'd recommend to pretty much everyone.

:krad:

This game is great and I'm glad to hear other people are pickin' it up. Heck, I'm glad to hear that people have already played it and agree with me that it's awesome. HECK, I'm glad to hear people just enjoy watching it!

GAME'S GREAT !!

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Limopalise posted:

As for relationships, without spoiling much, I tried to be as trusting as I could to most of the main characters, with a few notable exceptions.

Speaking as a fellow player-of-this-game, I did the same thing. I like both groups, and I wanted them to like each other, so I did everything I could to make them BEST BUDZ 4 LYFE.

Also, throw in a vote for Psycho Mask because we've got money we need to save, dontcha know

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Alright now that I've actually watched the video instead of making posts based off my prior knowledge of the game:

Helios doesn't orbit Elpis (Pandora's moon), Helios is in the Lagrange point between Elpis and Pandora. That's why it's always visible in the sky just in front of Elpis. If it was orbiting Elpis, it'd be behind it at least part of the time. It's also why it looks so big compared to Elpis. Helios isn't actually the size of the moon, it's just much closer.

And the Dahl corporation, in addition to being one of the many weapons manufacturers in the games, are also notable as the ones who originally owned Pandora (as much as you can own a planet, which in the Borderlands universe is pretty legit). Dahl wanted to mine Pandora for its natural resources but it turned out that Pandora didn't have diddly squat to make it worth the mining operations (at least, at the time it didn't). Dahl had shipped in tons and tons of convicts to be their labor force and when they decided the planet wasn't worth it, they just upped and left them behind. That's why people who aren't from Pandora think the planet is full of nothing but bandits - it pretty much is.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's too late, I said it orbits the moon, it's canonical now :goonsay:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

it's too late, I said it orbits the moon, it's canonical now :goonsay:
No that's cool, it just orbits Pandora too

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
How is this even a question? Purples are always better. Buy the Skeletal Menace mask.
(Yes I know it probably won't do anything and will likely just be a waste of our money, but I don't care.)

Also you should totally go full friendship on the foursome. I wanna see Rhys and Sasha learn to understand the other side, and Fiona and Vaughn...I guess maybe Fiona could teach Vaughn how to be confident and Vaughn could teach Fiona how to think things through or something? Whatever their deal is, I feel like it'd be fantastic character building if what we've seen so far is any indication. :allears:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

JT Jag posted:

No that's cool, it just orbits Pandora too

I like the cut of your jib

Felinoid posted:

How is this even a question? Purples are always better.

yours too

there's a lot of jibs in this thread I apparently like the cut of

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

We're on a quest to get 10 million dollars! There's no reason to save our chump change now :v: Skeletal Menace for sure! :black101:

I'm also for everyone being as friendly as possible to each other, buddies can bloom on the battlefield as it were!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Thanks, mr. skeltal mask.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

POUNDS MY FISTS O N THE DESK STEVE MASK STEVE MASK STEVE MASK

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Psycho mask. It's cheap and non-descript, a perfect disguise.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
White-quality items are vendor trash and only useful if they are a very, very specific combination of traits that you need at the very moment, like a sniper rifle with Explosive damage or a shotgun with Corrosive. It could potentially be "Ivory" quality but nah.

Green-quality items are a bit better, able to have some extra modifiers to their stats, but are basically more souped-up Whites and are also vendor trash most of the time.

Purple-quality, though? We're in Good poo poo territory now, skipping right past Blue-quality. Some traits are reserved for Purple items, and some traits even scale higher for Purple items. Sometimes these items are Unique Items, with special names and gimmicks attached to them. A Purple item can last you a long while before you find a decent upgrade.

We gotta go Skeletal Menace. Need those purps.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Steve Mask. The mask of compromise.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Steve mask. Best name. Anyway, I'd go for sowing maximum distrust between the party members and screwing over one another at each opportunity but that's just because I didn't do that on my playthrough so this vote might not count. I'd suggest we become pals with Zer0, though; I always feel sorry for the guy for being easily the weakest character in Borderlands 2.

edit: Oh boy. Rhys doing the stealth kill is one of my favorite scenes in the game; both character-building and hilarious.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 25, 2015

tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy
We're entering this race on the shiniest meat bicycle. Psycho Mask

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I have no idea if mask choice makes a difference, on my two seperate playthroughs I went with the Skeletal Menace Mask. Go for Psycho Mask.

I'm kind of torn on the decision of how we want the groups to interact. Both options are very different and well done (a Friendship is Magic playthrough results in a Episode 2 that is very different from a gently caress You, Got Mine playthrough. Like, whether you meet a certain character two episodes early different.)

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014
Steve mask

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

Oh yeah! I meant to ask...

How do you feel about the characters so far in the game, in a relation sense? Do you feel Rhys can trust Sasha, seeing as she has a gun and kind of totally hates Hyperion? If an opportunity came up to screw her over, do you think he would take it? Fiona can talk her way out of a situation, but how much do you think she'd try and take care of Vaughn? How to you think Rhys feels about Vaughn, and Fiona feels about Sasha? Where does Felix fit into everything? Can Zer0 be trusted?

Just trying to get a sense of how much everyone thinks of the relationships between the characters so I can better play to the thread's opinions. We're coming up on the finale of the first episode of the game, so I'm sure some stuff is going to go down.

Rhys and Sasha can probably trust each other well enough until they get the money, at which point I can only see them continuously betraying the other until they've got the briefcase to themselves but probably in a way that doesn't actually hurt anybody because they both seem like decent enough dudes. Fiona should definitely trust Vaughn though and protect him because I can't see him betraying anyone and he'll probably be pretty cool with splitting the money.

And I know I just said all that but everyone becoming buddies is probably the story i'd prefer to see, or at least the one that would have the more enjoyable scenes. So even though a bunch of these guys are assholes and them acting like assholes to each other is probably to be expected, friendship is clearly the best option.

Also, let's take the psycho mask. Because if it costs so low clearly no one will respect it and will thus completely underestimate us.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Gotta go with Steve (Heyo!).

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
Rhys should never trust anyone except Vaughn, because his character works best when he's an absolute douchebag to all but his business buddy.

Fiona should be nice to people when it's smart to be nice, because she's just smarter than Rhys in general.

And we should get the Steve Mask because, y'know, Steve.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I expect the next episode to be properly spooky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rwxs1gH9w

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I just want everyone to be friends, I love them all already. Also I dunno, I love to save money so I guess Psycho Mask.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I really doubt shooting or not shooting would've made any difference, because the masked dude playing Narrative Framework Enabler here is probably August anyways.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Steve, because heyo!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I am deeply, deeply disappointed that you did not choose the meat bicycle reply to Felix when you had the chance. :colbert:

Felix is gonna be pissed when Quakeguy finds out his ammo has been stolen. I know its not a quake reference but 9 inch nails always makes me thing of quake.

Finally, :bandwagon: Steve mask

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Last minute vote for STEVE MASK

Also, Mad Moxxi does Tony Tony Chopper? That would make for some weird-rear end fanart.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

I am deeply, deeply disappointed that you did not choose the meat bicycle reply to Felix when you had the chance. :colbert:
Fiona's delivery on that line is really weak, sadly. Weak enough that I think it kinda detracts from the joke so I chose not to pick it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

HenryEx posted:

I really doubt shooting or not shooting would've made any difference, because the masked dude playing Narrative Framework Enabler here is probably August anyways.
This gives me an idea. Kaubocks, what do you think about running a little survey between each episode regarding the identity of the Masked Man?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

This gives me an idea. Kaubocks, what do you think about running a little survey between each episode regarding the identity of the Masked Man?
That might be interesting; I think I only figured it out in Episode 4 which is where I assume everyone does.

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011
Skeletal mask, we need our purple gear!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

anilEhilated posted:

That might be interesting; I think I only figured it out in Episode 4 which is where I assume everyone does.

I literally had no idea until it was revealed. One of the greatest moments of the year for me.

I can't wait for episode 5, you guys :allears:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

There's something I didn't really mention in the video because it's so minor and I didn't want to spend too much time on it during a choice. The Steve Mask is actually a reference to... well, Steve! Steve is a bandit that shows up mostly in promotional material for the Borderlands games. He's had a couple in game experiences (I think just in Borderlands 2 and Poker Night 2), but as a character his claim to fame is that basically all he says is "heyooooo".

As for the Stranger survey... I'll consider it? If people want to speculate on it from time to time they're more than welcome. Personally I never figured it out until it was revealed and it was awesome. Only thing I'd be worried about is people who already know who it is trying to pass off spoilers as speculation.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but
My vote's for the Steve "Heyo!" Mask.

And isn't everybody in our little posse just a different class of bandit? The high(ish) class just uses the middle and low classes until they're not useful, anymore, the middle class just tries to get what the high class has, and the low class has drunken races when they're not being indiscriminately killed by loader bots/indiscriminately killing the other two classes.

Basically what I'm saying is everybody can work together. At least for now.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Steve Mask is stylish, affordable AND a cut above the rest! Who wouldn't want it?

Assholes, thats who!:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Casting a vote for Not the skeletal menace mask. We're here to make money, not spend it.

So far it seems like Rhys and Sasha are...not bonding exactly, but either some of the animosity is going away or she's just playing him (and also I don't know if she actually gave our stun baton back or not). None of the main characters seem like super huge jerks so far, so I feel like if there is going to be some betraying going on it should probably be the result of something a bit more pivotal than what we've seen so far.

Zer0 is a Vault Hunter and thus kind of a wild card, but it seems like he has his own agenda that isn't the case full of money, so being in his good graces seems like a good plan.

• Locked thread