Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Keetron posted:

Do not forget to argue about it with strangers on the internet. Just look up how many blue-blacks there are and everyone has a different favorite. Would be much simpler if everyone would agree that Sailor blueblack is the best blueblack.

But Pilot blue-black is the best blue-black.

Do you want to fight me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unicorn dreams
Feb 6, 2015
I like the suggestion about getting sample sizes. Also just read that you can convert the Preppys into eyedrop pens and do without the cartridges?! :v: That sounds scary but adventurous.

Does everyone typically buy inks from online? (I noticed that Goulet Pen is referenced a lot.) Or are there brick-and-mortar shops with comparable prices in places like NYC that sell 'em?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

My Man Shran posted:

But Pilot blue-black is the best blue-black.

Do you want to fight me?

Levenger Empyrean :colbert:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

unicorn dreams posted:

I like the suggestion about getting sample sizes. Also just read that you can convert the Preppys into eyedrop pens and do without the cartridges?! :v: That sounds scary but adventurous.

Does everyone typically buy inks from online? (I noticed that Goulet Pen is referenced a lot.) Or are there brick-and-mortar shops with comparable prices in places like NYC that sell 'em?

There are brick and mortar shops around but for fountain pen ink you mostly you need a store that specializes in them. Even stationery shops don't usually carry it. I did see a bottle of Quink in Staples once. I usually get mine from Amazon or JetPens but they don't carry everything.

J. Herbin sells little 10ml bottles that are good for ten or so fills, I've bought several of those and been happy with them.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

Levenger Empyrean :colbert:

In all seriousness, what's your experience with the Levenger inks been like?

I've only recently stopped being wary of the Big L.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My Man Shran posted:

In all seriousness, what's your experience with the Levenger inks been like?

I've only recently stopped being wary of the Big L.

Highly saturated, very wet. Lots of feathering, lots of bleedthrough but if you're writing on good paper the colours are fantastic.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

unicorn dreams posted:

The only time I bought ink in a store in NYC was a few years ago (and that one's dead, now), but I think their prices were about the same as online (plus the various levels of tax you'd pay in a store in NYC vs. online from VA or wherever. If you really want to check, the one B&M fountain pen shop that comes to mind is Fountain Pen Hospital, although I've seen people mention that you can find [Japanese] pens and inks at Kinokunya (it's a bookstore with a stationer's attached see here.)

Buying ink from Goulet is a nice thing, because they overpackage things — so you won't say, find a half-cracked cap like the one time I ordered ink from Amazon. If you want really basic ink, sometimes a Staples or Office Max might have some ink, but that's more like "Maybe some waterman cartridges, a bottle of quink in blue or black." Another option might be art supply stores, but that's also something of a crapshoot.

Keetron posted:

Do not forget to argue about it with strangers on the internet. Just look up how many blue-blacks there are and everyone has a different favorite. Would be much simpler if everyone would agree that Sailor blueblack is the best blueblack.

Speaking of Quink, the best blue-black is absolutely Parker's Blue-Black, because it is backwards and dries blue.

vvv Having recently bought some Noodler's Aircorps Blue-Black, I can no longer even call the color it dries "really really light teal." Then again, different sorts of paper absolutely change the hue — lovely copy paper is noticeably bluer (or at least more saturated and overall darker) than an almost-decent staples notebook.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 23, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Parker Blue-Black dries green.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I got my Varsitys today and have been copying passages out of some books I have on my computer to get back into the groove of writing by hand. Going to be trying to do that a bit every day or so until I'm satisfied with my script. Then all my friends and relatives will be receiving letters. :toot:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

guppy posted:

There are brick and mortar shops around but for fountain pen ink you mostly you need a store that specializes in them. Even stationery shops don't usually carry it. I did see a bottle of Quink in Staples once. I usually get mine from Amazon or JetPens but they don't carry everything.

J. Herbin sells little 10ml bottles that are good for ten or so fills, I've bought several of those and been happy with them.

Yeah. Depending on your continent, it's either blue and black Quink or blue and black Pelikan 4001 + Lamy cartridges for most stores. Speaking of inks, Pelikan blue and black are available in 1 liter jugs for the absolute lowest price per ml known to man for anyone in Europe (US prices are crazy high for some reason).

My Man Shran posted:

If you don't have at least one bottle of every shade or 10 bottles of a single color you are fond of then, well, you are doing this hobby wrong.

:agreed:, I'm currently approaching this state of ink nirvana for general multicolour use (who needs marker pens if you have a BB nib?) and blues with a hint of turquoise in particular (Iroshizuku Kon Peki blue best blue, Diamine Asa Blue cheapest adequate blue :toot:).

Also,

Keetron posted:

Pelikan blue-black best blue-black, because it's waterproof and contains enough solvents to shut down entire office buildings for health&safety reasons :c00lbutt:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Keetron posted:

While I agree that it looks amazing, Sailor blue-black is a pigmentedl ink and has sediment in it that you have to be wary of when using in a fountain pen. Like if you forget to use the pen for a while or neglect to clean it then it can get clogged.

Fake edit: I found out they make a blue-black that is water based now so...gently caress...might need to get me some of that.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Brightman posted:

While I agree that it looks amazing, Sailor blue-black is a pigmentedl ink and has sediment in it that you have to be wary of when using in a fountain pen. Like if you forget to use the pen for a while or neglect to clean it then it can get clogged.

Fake edit: I found out they make a blue-black that is water based now so...gently caress...might need to get me some of that.

Get two bottles of Tokiwa Matsu and one of Doyou, while you're at it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The Staples I work at carries Quink in bottles, but nobody ever buys it. I just might.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Brightman posted:

This would actually explain the troubles I kept having with one of my Watermans, it still wrote lovely with cartridges. The dried out ones, yes, why you ask?
Time to take those pens apart and try some Diamine magic on em.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Does anyone know any good fountain pen shops in Tokyo that sell the complete range of Pilot Iroshizuku inks in those smaller bottles that are halfway between samplers and full-size bottles?

One of my friends is going in December and I want to take advantage of that to get the full range of Iroshizuku inks for way less than they cost here and in a size that isn't sold here.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You'd probably have better luck asking at a fountain pen specific forum like fountain pen network.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

unicorn dreams posted:

Preppies are great for eye-dropper conversions because they're cheap as gently caress and hold a loooooot of ink. You can practice on blending ink colors easily using them, and if it fucks up the nib - who gives a gently caress? You spent like 3 bucks on it. The only thing that can super suck is that the barrel is cheap plastic and can crack easily. But, you can buy a pack of them, some gasket o-rings for like, a buck at your local hardware store, some silicone grease, and you will be sitting pretty.

Goulet is p. amazing, but I'm biased because they're technically local to me so my shipping time is super quick, and they always send you a tootsie pop. They'll also write a little thank you note on the invoice with a sample ink and they'll tell you what it is, so it gives you a good idea what some colors look like without having to buy. They also sell fountain-pen friendly notebooks and have a blog that reviews a lot of stuff.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I would think an art supply store would be your best bet. There's one here in Denver that has a fairly decent assortment of Noodler's and some other brands.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You can pull the nib and feed out of a Preppy to clean it pretty easily.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

kim jong-illin posted:

Does anyone know any good fountain pen shops in Tokyo that sell the complete range of Pilot Iroshizuku inks in those smaller bottles that are halfway between samplers and full-size bottles?

One of my friends is going in December and I want to take advantage of that to get the full range of Iroshizuku inks for way less than they cost here and in a size that isn't sold here.

Any decent-sized bookstore and even some small ones will carry these.

If you absolutely must have locations:
- Tokyu Hands at the Takashimaya Times Square
- Itoya/K.Itoya in Ginza
- Maruzen in Marunouchi

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kessel posted:

Any decent-sized bookstore and even some small ones will carry these.

If you absolutely must have locations:
- Tokyu Hands at the Takashimaya Times Square
- Itoya/K.Itoya in Ginza
- Maruzen in Marunouchi

Itoya is my dream store if I ever go to that area ever. I hear they have a few floors devoted to FPs/stationery. Someday...

Also, check out their LE sailor inks because they are very exclusive inks.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Alder posted:

Itoya is my dream store if I ever go to that area ever. I hear they have a few floors devoted to FPs/stationery. Someday...

It's hilarious. They have one store which is decidedly normal for a Japanese stationery store, and then K.Itoya down the road which has a ground floor with a million fountain pens and then three floors of weird poo poo like two hundred dollar hand-crafted letter openers.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've been using fountain pens for about a year now, and really wish I'd discovered them back when I had other jobs that involved taking a lot of paper notes since it would've saved me a lot of hand cramps.

When I came to work in West Africa I brought a few with me, but my American coworkers have really disliked them since they just can't figure out how to use it right. I was recently doing some work in rural areas and was passing my pen to local people to sign receipts, and again most of them I'd have to explain how to hold it and they'd get annoyed that I hadn't just handed them a ballpoint. My lead engineer is an older guy who used them growing up, so he likes mine and has tried to explain to locals that it's not some new invention or weird American thing, it's the kind of pens everyone used to use when he was young.

I've found just one person that really digs them: there's a teenager that works in a general store at a little dirt road town near my worksite, and I've passed him my Pilot Petit to sign my receipt-book, and he loves it and keeps bugging me to gift it to him, so I'm going to put a fresh short cartridge in it and pass it off to him, though I have no idea where in this country he can find replacement cartridges, but if nothing else it'll be a cool souvenir.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

S'cool of you.

Have to fight anyone off with a fountain pen yet?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've found just one person that really digs them: there's a teenager that works in a general store at a little dirt road town near my worksite, and I've passed him my Pilot Petit to sign my receipt-book, and he loves it and keeps bugging me to gift it to him, so I'm going to put a fresh short cartridge in it and pass it off to him, though I have no idea where in this country he can find replacement cartridges, but if nothing else it'll be a cool souvenir.

If there's bottled ink there, he can refill the cartridge with a syringe.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Got my Jinhao 750 in recently. This thing writes beautifully and puts down a ton of ink. I need to ink this up with something shaded as I think it'd do a nice job showing off color depth. Noodler's black get firehosed out but I'm kind of digging it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

404notfound posted:

The more I use my Metro, the more I like it. Why is my cheapest pen the favorite? :psyduck:

I feel bad for neglecting my Lamy 2000 and my Vanishing Point for so long...
I found an Itoya Blade that was 2/3 full, once, in the office of someone who'd quit.

My favorite pen I ever held. :unsmith:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I swear there must be a law somewhere that says Kaweco nibs can't actually be usable out of the package.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I felt kinda bad when I realized the main reason I wanted some particular Kaweco pen was more for the really cute packaging than the actual pen (although I did want the pen pretty bad).

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

My daughter lost (well, left in a classroom and someone took it, same diff) a Kaweco Sport that I gave her and I gave her heck for it but also just got her a pair of Metropolitans for Christmas so I might be a bad or good parent depending on your view

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You're getting your child fountain pens, I'm pretty sure this defaults you to being a good parent. Have you considered letting her pick the finish? It might motivate her to take a little better care if she has a little responsibility in picking it out.

And if she doesn't like the colours of the two you got, well, two more fountain pens for you! I see no problem with this plan.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

grack posted:

And if she doesn't like the colours of the two you got, well, two more fountain pens for you! I see no problem with this plan.

There are only upsides. To be sure, buy four in case she likes the Metro's and you are left without those two.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mnemosyne posted:

If there's bottled ink there, he can refill the cartridge with a syringe.

That's an interesting point, I don't know if stationery stores in Liberia carry fountain pens and/or ink. I should duck into a larger one and see what they have.

Along those lines, are there any parts of Africa that are famous for using fountain pens, kind of like how India is famous for still producing and using them?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Who uses a pen case, makeshift or otherwise? And what pens do you carry in it and where do normally carry the case?

I've got a handful of cheap pens (Konrad, Ahan, Jinhao, Safari and 2 metros) and I've been keeping them in an old metal sunglasses case in a small messenger bag. It seems to be working fine for the most part with the exception of rubbing some of the finish off the bottom of the metros and one time it got jostled enough for the Konrad to leak through its cap. I figure that last one is more of a problem with the Konrad than the case. The case did do the job of stopping ink from getting all over everything in the bag.

I'm probably going to order some ink relatively soon so I might grab a case while I'm at it. I don't recall any nerding out cases ITT.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have one of these that works well, but all of my pens have clips. I don't know how well it would do if yours don't. http://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Teffa-Pen-Case-Book-Style-Black/pd/7665

I put it in my backpack when I need it, just making sure it's sitting so that when the bag is standing upright, like when I'm walking, all the pens will be too.

The thing I bring out the most often is this, to be honest: http://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Teffa-Bag-in-Bag-A4-Black/pd/8089

It holds my laptop, a notebook, a sketchbook, pens and pencils and some other supplies.

Edit: Since you said small messenger bag, space is probably a consideration, so maybe try a roll type case: http://www.jetpens.com/Saki-P-661-Roll-Pen-Case-with-Traditional-Japanese-Fabric-Navy/pd/7475

I can't recommend any rolls in particular, but they're a popular method of stashing things.

Edit edit: Jetpens has a pretty nice recommendations page, maybe you'll spot something you like: http://www.jetpens.com/blog/a-comprehensive-guide-pencil-cases-pouches-rolls/pt/450

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 8, 2015

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I use those Saki pen rolls that Swagger Dagger linked. They work well, although it is possible for them to become unwrapped and open up if places in a bag or backpack (doesn't happen often, but has happened). I think the cloth ones look nicer, but the (faux) leather ones are sturdier and provide more protection.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

It looks like the metal protective cases are really similar to the metal sunglasses case I've got now. That makes me less interested in getting something new. I'm thinking I might just want to stick a little fabric in the case so my pens can't move around inside it as much.

It looks like the roll up style is what I'm interested in. It looks like they've got plenty of inexpensive options so I can shop around for something I think is cool.

My messenger bag can fit a 10" tablet, my pen case and a small notebook or three, plus some assorted small crap. It's not super tiny.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

At home, for inked pens, I use wraps from EXBPens and a Franklin-Christophe Penvelope Six. When I want to take a nice pen or two out and about, but not six of them, I have a Lamy one-pen holder and a Visconti two-pen case. I carry the Penvelope Six in a messenger bag when I take it out; I carry the smaller ones in my pocket. The Visconti case is solid, pretty protective and has soft lining in the pen slots. I can zip my Homo Sapiens in it with plenty of room to spare. The Penvelope is even more protective, and I may get a small two-pen version of that sometime as well.

For uninked pens, I use felt pen wraps from His Nibs, but in the house we have a few of their nicer wraps as well. They're all well-made.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 8, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I picked up a package of leather remnants, a cheap roll cutter and some heavy duty nylon thread and sewed an assload of cases. Cost me $10 and I think I got 6 usable sleeves out of the material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I use one of These with a foam/felt insert I made out of craft store materials. It's tough enough to put in the main compartment of my briefcase every day and holds 3 big pens. Also, this thing is pretty nifty, but I wouldn't put pens in it that you don't mind rubbing up against other pens.