Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer
Well, I should've held out for the msi it seems. When I'm upgrading out of this setup, I'll be sure to check here and get some real feedback before purchasing. Thanks for your input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

bustercasey posted:

Well, I should've held out for the msi it seems. When I'm upgrading out of this setup, I'll be sure to check here and get some real feedback before purchasing. Thanks for your input.

I did the exact same thing in January this year. I eventually returned it in favour of the MSI card, but only after EVGA repeatedly dropped the PR ball and made me mad enough go through with it.

The card itself is going to be fine, it'll run about ten degrees (Celsius) hotter and be a tiny bit louder but it's still a cool and quiet card compared with previous generations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Honestly, your card could clock just as high as others. Ignorance is bliss?

I really wouldn't worry about it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

I'd contest this on the grounds that not only are we switching to newer standards for components, but also Zen and Kaby Lake are releasing in 2016. I think 2016 overall is a more compelling year to upgrade unless its direly needed, as investing in Haswell now might be limiting.

The CPU performance increase from the 14nm "tick" this time (technically Broadwell) was nothing special. Skylake brought us desktop-class chips on the new 14nm "tick" and showed that it's nothing special. Basically it improved nothing except the iGPU, really. Kabylake is going to be another Skylake-style GPU upgrade (in particular it's going to support Adaptive-Sync or Freesync). Other than that it's just not that interesting an upgrade - it's not a die-shrink, there's not any major CPU-side architectural improvements. The one other place that does seem to be an improvement is that the expected OC target has moved up from around 4.3-4.4 GHz on Devil's Canyon up to around 4.6-4.7 GHz on Skylake.

There's also not even any guarantee that Kabylake or Cannonlake will even be on the same socket, let alone intercompatible with various chipsets (see LGA2011, versions 1-3). So assuming that the motherboard will be compatible is a mistake.

If you really want to pay the early-adopter fee for DDR4, or you really want the extra features in the new chipsets (again, SATA Express, m.2, USB 3.1/Type-C, etc) then go hog wild. It's just the standard 5-10%-per-architecture bump that Intel has been delivering since Sandybridge. It's worth jumping forward to something recent, if you're coming from a first-gen Core i7, but Skylake-vs-Haswell/Devil's Canyon is a total non-event. Intel almost didn't even bother releasing socketed desktop processors, that's how little of an improvement it is. Cannonlake is really the best chance for a big jump forward and it's not coming out until at least 2017. Also apart from compatibility, DDR4 isn't really any faster than DDR3 right now, and most stuff isn't tremendously memory-bound unless again, you're using the iGPU heavily.

If you don't have a specific reason it's really not worth trying to game a multi-year product timeline when there's good deals on very high-performing processors and fast memory available right now.

As for AMD, the earnest hope is that Zen will finally start to be competitive with Haswell. That's a great jumping-off point but "doesn't get completely smoked by a processor that's 2 years and 3 microarchitectures old" isn't really the kind of thing that gets people lining up with wads of cash in their fists. And frankly after the whole Fiji thing I've learned to take AMD's claims with a huge grain of salt. They're desperate. You can always make that decision once benchmarks start to come out.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 27, 2015

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

So, I have a 4850 right now, and I want to upgrade it. Which card do you folks think I should go for to last me another 5 years worth of gaming? I was hoping to spring for a 970, but the deals so far here in Canada have been loving atrocious. I've been completely out of the loop on what the new hotness is outside of the very top end stuff, so I don't know whats good or what to look for really.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

rizzen posted:

So, I have a 4850 right now, and I want to upgrade it. Which card do you folks think I should go for to last me another 5 years worth of gaming? I was hoping to spring for a 970, but the deals so far here in Canada have been loving atrocious. I've been completely out of the loop on what the new hotness is outside of the very top end stuff, so I don't know whats good or what to look for really.

For 5 years of gaming I'd be sorely tempted to recommend a card and saving 2/5ths your money to flip that card into another card then because the money will hold value way better than the card.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The CPU performance increase from the 14nm "tick" this time (technically Broadwell) was nothing special. Skylake brought us desktop-class chips on the new 14nm "tick" and showed that it's nothing special. Basically it improved nothing except the iGPU, really. Kabylake is going to be another Skylake-style GPU upgrade (in particular it's going to support Adaptive-Sync or Freesync). Other than that it's just not that interesting an upgrade - it's not a die-shrink, there's not any major CPU-side architectural improvements.

Really, the draw for Skylake isn't the chip at all, it's the platform, and Skylake is a nice platform with a bunch of potentially cool shiny toys.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rizzen posted:

The top-end hotness is definitely the 980 Ti right now, and it'll last you a while. There are a fuckload of them in the market, like probably more than any flagship-Ti card ever, so it's highly likely that in 2 years you can pair it up for SLI pretty cheaply.

Also, AMD has a history of ageing fairly gracefully. Hardwarecanuck disagrees, but as we approach the year 2016 a fuckload more people are running 1440p, 4K, multi-monitor, SSAA, and other features that essentially translate into "people run more resolution than they were in December 2013". That means that an apples-to-apples comparison isn't really what people are making in real life scenarios, and AMD has always delivered better performance at the increased resolutions that people tend to shift to over time. Fury X doesn't underperform 980 Ti that horrifically, it just fails to match or beat it. And CrossFire Fury Xs actually meet or outperform SLI 980 Tis. So down the road, based on historical trends, it's a reasonable bet that a Fury or Fury X now and a Crossfire mate in another couple years will buy you more mileage than a 980 Ti. The wild card is VRAM, since AMD has traditionally overallocated VRAM on their cards and they couldn't do that on Fury X. 4 GB per card just isn't a lot. Maybe DX12 Split Frame Rendering works out and you squeeze a bit more out of that VRAM, maybe the VRAM just ends up constricting performance.

5 years is a long time so it's hard to make that guarantee, but if any card on the market is going to do it, it's either a 980 Ti or a Fury / Fury X, with a CF or SLI down the road if performance drops below what you need. It's kinda hard to say which will age better.

If you don't forsee yourself needing a huge bump in performance, a used/refurb/discounted 780 Ti can be very reasonable. I just moved from an R9 280 to a 780 Ti and I'm looking for an SLI-mate to hold me over until Pascal releases. It should be something along the lines of a 980 Ti, just with more power consumption, SLI, and more limited memory. But I'm spending about $360 total instead of $550-600, and I'm hoping for it to hold me out for like 1.5-2 years, not 5.

The 780 Ti slots somewhere around a 970 (usually slightly above at higher resolutions and SLI) and slightly below a 980. Those are also very good cards if you can find them for appropriate prices (I don't know Canada's market, but do check Kijiji and refurb and all that crap).

3 GB is definitely on the small side for really high-res gaming, but 4 GB is going to be the absolute maximum midrange target until Pascal/Greenland release in late 2016 and then achieve significant market penetration. The 980 Ti's 6 GB is the high-end target - the only cards that go beyond that right now are the Titan X at 12 GB (the MSRP is too damned high) or the 390/x at 8 GB (which don't have the performance to feasibly make use of that VRAM).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 27, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

rizzen posted:

What are the specs on the rest of your system, and what's your budget? That 5 year mark is gonna depend a whole lot more on other components outside just the video card. Most folks have gone the 970 route, or if sticking with AMD, the 380 series cards would be your next bet, some are in the low $200 range at the moment. In your case, just from a video card perspective, I'd get something with at least 4GB released in the last year or two, but without knowing your spending limit, it's hard to recommend more.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
The Gigabyte 960 Gaming 4gig version looks pretty swell.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

rizzen posted:

Buying one card to hold you for 5 years is a bit of a fool's errand. Sure, you can try, but why? The way monitor tech is moving right now, in 2-3 years the "standard" gaming monitor recommendation will likely be some variety of 1440p 144Hz *sync monitor, which will stomp all over any card you can buy today for less than $600 (and even those will struggle).

Really, your best bet is to play the used second-best market every 2-3 years. Right now that means a used 980 or 970 depending on your budget. Feel free to wait for better deals around Christmas, but used is the way to go on a budget--get one that has a transferable warranty (MSI, EVGA, etc) and you're golden. That'll hold you well into Pascal, and then you can get another upper-mid grade card in like 2017 or so. Roll that train as long as you want.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Not at the sub-$100 price point, but for $100 after MIR you can get this 370 which will be much, much faster than your current card.

Thanks. I was looking at the budget cards in the megathread and going 'hmmn, there's probably a reason its cheap, even if its a few generations ahead'.

Realistic budget is probably in the 100-135 range, depending on deals and tradeoffs, who's offering free shipping, flash deals, etc. That change anything?

I think, technically, my board is crossfire compatable. Is there any reason to slap them both in, or just use the new one?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Ozz81 posted:

What are the specs on the rest of your system, and what's your budget? That 5 year mark is gonna depend a whole lot more on other components outside just the video card. Most folks have gone the 970 route, or if sticking with AMD, the 380 series cards would be your next bet, some are in the low $200 range at the moment. In your case, just from a video card perspective, I'd get something with at least 4GB released in the last year or two, but without knowing your spending limit, it's hard to recommend more.

Bear in mind it's Canadian $$$.

I fully upgraded my system a year ago to more modern standards from my old Core2. I picked up an i5-4590, a new ASRock H97 motherboard, an SSD, and 620w of Antec modular PSU. My case is fine and large enough for a giant rear end card, and the airflow is much much better with a modular PSU, so I'm happy on that front.

I'd honestly like to go with Nvidia this time, since I've had all sorts of hell with some games and AMD's drivers.

Edit: Right, budget. Honestly 300$ is as much as I'd like to spend, but I was prepared to drop 350~ for a 970 if it ever dropped that low, but it seems NCIX and Newegg aren't playing ball this year.

nehezir posted:

The Gigabyte 960 Gaming 4gig version looks pretty swell.

Yeah, the problem with it though, is that it's still $300, and at that point, I might as well just drop an extra $100 for the 970, no?

rizzen fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 27, 2015

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

rizzen posted:

Yeah, the problem with it though, is that it's still $300, and at that point, I might as well just drop an extra $100 for the 970, no?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VBNT3X0/?tag=pcpapi-20 your budget is $300 Canadian Dollars and really, it's plenty powerful unless you've shooting for blatantly enthusiast shannygans like high texture mods in games that are already use a lot of textures. the 960 is a sweet spot card, plenty solid and good for a long time. Gamers are still streaming games with 760's- the sweetspot card will handle things just fine.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

rizzen posted:

Bear in mind it's Canadian $$$.

I fully upgraded my system a year ago to more modern standards from my old Core2. I picked up an i5-4590, a new ASRock H97 motherboard, an SSD, and 620w of Antec modular PSU. My case is fine and large enough for a giant rear end card, and the airflow is much much better with a modular PSU, so I'm happy on that front.

I'd honestly like to go with Nvidia this time, since I've had all sorts of hell with some games and AMD's drivers.

Edit: Right, budget. Honestly 300$ is as much as I'd like to spend, but I was prepared to drop 350~ for a 970 if it ever dropped that low, but it seems NCIX and Newegg aren't playing ball this year.

The 970 was $330 CAD at Canada Computers not two days ago iirc.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also, AMD has a history of ageing fairly gracefully.

Tell that to my 4870 where every driver upgrade after a year and a half meant another thing broke that I had to manually work around because AMD just didn't care.

After a while it was rapidly switching between 2D and 3D clocks during video playback or less intensive games (sometimes even just sitting on the desktop) causing awful visible artifacts so I had to do the driver's job for it and tell it which clocks to use at which time.

The hardware itself was fine and the 1GB of VRAM lasted it a long time, but AMD cards get dementia fast as they age, even if they can still sprint.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

nehezir posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VBNT3X0/?tag=pcpapi-20 your budget is $300 Canadian Dollars and really, it's plenty powerful unless you've shooting for blatantly enthusiast shannygans like high texture mods in games that are already use a lot of textures. the 960 is a sweet spot card, plenty solid and good for a long time. Gamers are still streaming games with 760's- the sweetspot card will handle things just fine.

You're probably right. That's the model you'd recommend then?

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

rizzen posted:

You're probably right. That's the model you'd recommend then?

the one I linked. it's made with overclocking in mind even.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

AMD pushed out some price cuts. The price difference between the new 380X and 390 shrunk a little more turning the former into a weird sort of prank card unless every single watt and penny counts :suicide:

Furies got chopped $50-70 a pop.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

nehezir posted:

the one I linked. it's made with overclocking in mind even.

Cheers. I'm gonna sleep on it for now, and see what's there in the morning.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Desuwa posted:

Tell that to my 4870 where every driver upgrade after a year and a half meant another thing broke that I had to manually work around because AMD just didn't care.

After a while it was rapidly switching between 2D and 3D clocks during video playback or less intensive games (sometimes even just sitting on the desktop) causing awful visible artifacts so I had to do the driver's job for it and tell it which clocks to use at which time.

The hardware itself was fine and the 1GB of VRAM lasted it a long time, but AMD cards get dementia fast as they age, even if they can still sprint.

I don't know, graphics artifacts and instability are classic signs of hardware problems. In comparison I ran ATI/AMD cards since the Rage 128 Pro and haven't noticed any showstopping driver problems. I've had cards do those things before, but it was always the start of them physically dying and refusing to boot (eg I think I had something in the 2000 or 3000 series that died the same way, then eventually just showed green-tinted noise after POST).

How do you know it wasn't just some RAM or NVRAM that was failing in the pages that managed those things on-card? The failure modes are indistinguishable - the harder you run the card, the faster it's clocked and the more likely the page is to flop back to its sticky state. If you reset it, it would work until the failure mode occurred again. It's really difficult to dissociate those kind of hardware failure modes from common driver modes back when everything was hardcoded instead of being a general-purpose processor where everything was just dynamically allocated out of registers/cache/general memory. That transition didn't fully complete until GCN 1.0 (2012).

Everything since GCN 1.0 is largely the same architecture and I have had literally zero significant driver problems with the 7850 I bought back in 2012 or with the R9 280 I bought in 2014. I just switched to a 780 Ti within the last couple weeks and I have my first driver issue - FO4 has a horizontal split line in certain scenes, aligned with a dominant lighting source. Currently thinking I need to use something other than the Game Ready drivers.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 27, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

AMD pushed out some price cuts. The price difference between the new 380X and 390 shrunk a little more turning the former into a weird sort of prank card unless every single watt and penny counts :suicide:

How's the 4GB 380 as a cheap card option with those cuts?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

japtor posted:

How's the 4GB 380 as a cheap card option with those cuts?

Looks like a bunch of them on Amazon are floating around a flat $200 now including an Asus Strix OC'ed 4GB variant. GTX 960 4GB models are a little more expensive ($10-30 more) and use less power, and benchmark wise trades blows with the 380 depending on the game. If you're doing 1080p you'd probably be perfectly fine with either one you can find for cheapest. AMD's marketing slides show the 380/380X as "1440p" cards but that's really bordering on dishonest since you'll have to disable various visual goodies and you still aren't gonna see 60FPS in anything except zDoom, and even that's a maybe.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

rizzen posted:

Cheers. I'm gonna sleep on it for now, and see what's there in the morning.

There's also the route of refurb/recertified cards as well. Someone mentioned GPU Shack here before, and while I haven't used them, most folks have had pretty good luck with them. They also have a trade-in deal apparently, as far as I can tell you buy a card, and if you send your old one in, you can get a partial refund back. Might be worth a shot considering most places like that offer at least a limited warranty for a year or two in case anything goes bad.

Everything else in your system looks good, power supply will be plenty for almost any AMD/Nvidia card nowadays, so unless you've got a half dozen mechanical drives, a crazy amount of fans, or are trying to crossfire a couple Fury cards, you're good to go.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

How do you know it wasn't just some RAM or NVRAM that was failing in the pages that managed those things on-card? The failure modes are indistinguishable - the harder you run the card, the faster it's clocked and the more likely the page is to flop back to its sticky state. If you reset it, it would work until the failure mode occurred again. It's really difficult to dissociate those kind of hardware failure modes from common driver modes back when everything was hardcoded instead of being a general-purpose processor where everything was just dynamically allocated out of registers/cache/general memory. That transition didn't fully complete until GCN 1.0 (2012).

The issues sprung up immediately after upgrading drivers and went away after downgrading? At least when I bothered to downgrade. I don't just sit on issues when they happen, I try to figure out why they're happening and resolve or work around them, and the why was drivers.

One such issue was trees in the distance in Battlefield 2 no longer properly meshing with the ground after a driver patch - there would be a one pixel ring around the base of the tree where you could see through the ground. I never got a workaround for that and they just stayed that way. This was over two years after the 4870 was new, and it was still ostensibly supported by AMD, they just no longer cared if they broke things.

I gave that PC to a friend and last I heard the card still works just fine, though I can't imagine the HDD and PSU have that much life left in them based on how much I ran them.

Maybe driver aging is less of an issue after the switch to GCN but after being burned by drivers on two different 7850s (ruling out hardware issues) I just gave up on AMD. The problem with my 7850s was that installing AMD's drivers would cause tearing while scrolling in 2D mode. Like on the desktop, scrolling around in windows explorer in a fresh install of Windows 7. I thought the first instance was a hardware issue that wasn't triggered by the standard Windows VGA drivers but when it happened on the second card, even after downloading the drivers again and reinstalling, that was it.

Not sure what the problem was because that's an issue even AMD's driver QA team wouldn't let through, my hardware wasn't weird or anything, and it didn't seem to be a widespread issue, but it happened on two completely different cards.

e: Also three years later that new PC with the 7850s is still going strong, now with a 970 after Fedex killed my 670. In those three years I've had maybe four crashes/BSODs that weren't triggered by something obvious and apparent, like running Eclipse for a week or World of Tanks deciding it wanted to crash and bring the rest of the system down with it. So there don't seem to be any issues with the rest of my hardware or software.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 27, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Desuwa posted:

The problem with my 7850s was that installing AMD's drivers would cause tearing while scrolling in 2D mode. Like on the desktop, scrolling around in windows explorer in a fresh install of Windows 7.

That's very odd, as the Windows 7 desktop runs with V-Sync enabled. Are you sure you didn't disable Aero?

v Huh, OK. Bizarre. That's not really normal for those cards or drivers, but there are so many combinations of parts one can use, that there's bound to be a problem at some point

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 27, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

That's very odd, as the Windows 7 desktop runs with V-Sync enabled. Are you sure you didn't disable Aero?

I'm very certain. It started when I was installing drivers for a completely fresh install of Windows 7 in a newly built PC. I assumed it was a hardware issue after I reinstalled the drivers the first time, but it happened to the replacement card too.

And actually it wasn't tearing so much as horrible artifacting when scrolling or moving windows. It wasn't real tearing.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 27, 2015

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Desuwa posted:

It's fine to prefer Nvidia for reasons, but it sounds like you are describing a hardware issue.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

poo poo-grade graphics card enthusiast edition:

I absolutely must get MSI's 750ti LP because of silly cramplord builds in mitx cases like this:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RGTZ0X6MB8C0U/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00SOXMPJY&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc
That guy uses the same case I do for the living room PC and there's nothing occupying the pcie slot right now.
I have a hardon for powerful tiny shitboxes :allears:

There's also the low profile HD7750 on refurb on Newegg (because obviously what my AM1 boxes need is discrete graphics!!!) but i'm not sure if they come with the low profile bracket included.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202176

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fabulousity posted:

Looks like NewEgg/Amazon have adjusted the prices, I think TigerDirect took the day off.

R9 390 for $245 after mail in rebate and Visa Checkout promo on NewEgg, though.

R9 Fury non-x for $475 after Visa promo, plus free Star Wars Battlefront which I'm sure will fetch some cash too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

poo poo-grade graphics card enthusiast edition:

I absolutely must get MSI's 750ti LP because of silly cramplord builds in mitx cases like this:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RGTZ0X6MB8C0U/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00SOXMPJY&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc
That guy uses the same case I do for the living room PC and there's nothing occupying the pcie slot right now.
I have a hardon for powerful tiny shitboxes :allears:

There's also the low profile HD7750 on refurb on Newegg (because obviously what my AM1 boxes need is discrete graphics!!!) but i'm not sure if they come with the low profile bracket included.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202176
This is why I'm tempted to just go with integrated graphics until HBM comes down to tiny low/midrange cards :v:. I bought an Ncase M1 a while ago...but nothing else yet (granted mostly out of cheapness and laziness).

Pretty sure I can get away with it too, most of the stuff I play has modest requirements at best. Hell I'm playing stuff in Wine on an older Mac mini so any recent desktop Intel IGP (and running Windows natively) would be an improvement even.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

japtor posted:

This is why I'm tempted to just go with integrated graphics until HBM comes down to tiny low/midrange cards :v:. I bought an Ncase M1 a while ago...but nothing else yet (granted mostly out of cheapness and laziness).

Pretty sure I can get away with it too, most of the stuff I play has modest requirements at best. Hell I'm playing stuff in Wine on an older Mac mini so any recent desktop Intel IGP (and running Windows natively) would be an improvement even.

tbf you can fit a full size graphics card in an ncase m1 no problem, which is kinda what i'd expect someone to do considering how expensive it is

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yeah, low profile cards are more the domain of $25 cases like the one I have. The miniature gamer cases are expensive precisely because they make space for a full size card in odd places.

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012
My current PC is running an AMD Radeon HD 6800 series GPU. I can play MGS: V with everything set to high and I've yet to encounter any bad stuttering or frame rate lag. I upgraded most of the other components about six months ago and kept the graphics card as it was a more recent purchase.

Would I see much benefit from getting a newer graphics card?

The next games that I'm likely to buy are Fallout 4 and Witcher 3.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

IllustriousChen posted:

Absolutely.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jago posted:

It's fine to prefer Nvidia for reasons, but it sounds like you are describing a hardware issue.

It's really hard to properly get a feel for how common rare problems actually are when your sample size is a handful of cards. I've had three different problems with my 970 while friends with AMD cards have had none. On the other hand my setup is a bit more likely to strain things and notice things so who knows even in that small sample.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Jago posted:

As I wrote in my next post, the hardware on the 4870 was fine. Installing new drivers caused the problem and downgrading fixed it, but I was able to work around the problems enough and I needed those new drivers so I just had to deal with it. The theory that it's bad RAM/VRAM doesn't hold water because the problems persisted over multiple driver upgrades. If there was a tiny bit of bad RAM that was causing the issue with a specific version of drivers because of where in memory things were being kept, I would assume new drivers would shuffle things around enough to change or cause new issues.

The rapid switching between 2D and 3D clocks causing video artifacts (and artifacts in less intensive games) wasn't unique to my card either. Less people were using them but I still remember googling for the issue I was having and getting a handful of new results.

For the 7850 the first time I was certain it was just a bad card and exchanged it for a new one, then it happened on the replacement card. It was probably just a bad run of cards but after the driver problems with my 4870 as it got older I wasn't willing to give AMD a third chance on the 7850.

I would have been more forgiving if they hadn't shown how little they cared about older but still "supported" cards with their drivers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

tbf you can fit a full size graphics card in an ncase m1 no problem, which is kinda what i'd expect someone to do considering how expensive it is

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah, low profile cards are more the domain of $25 cases like the one I have. The miniature gamer cases are expensive precisely because they make space for a full size card in odd places.
Yeah, I guess it's more a general matter of buying now vs just waiting and getting something better and easier to work with down the line. It's not a pressing need so I figure I can wait until the new stuff is out next year.

(Meanwhile I have a bunch of drives in my Amazon cart cause I'm running low on space :suicide:)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Jago posted:

Not really, I've given plenty of AMD cards a try and for a while they were notorious for weird driver bugs. I had the same trouble where I'd have to trial and error different driver versions, or find some kind of registry hack or DLL change to fix a one-off issue. Happened with at least 3 different cards - first a 5850, then a 6870 that replaced it, then later a 6970. They've done better lately with drivers though so that's a silver lining, at least.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, you shouldn't have resolutions resetting themselves on the desktop and that kind of crap, that's probably the GPU vendor's fault. But I'm kinda astonished that people are still blaming GPU vendors for game-specific "driver problems" now that it's become widely known what kind of crap code gamedevs are pushing out. If you're looking for someone to be mad at, it should be the people releasing code that doesn't follow API specs, not the hardware companies.

quote:

The first lesson is: Nearly every game ships broken. We’re talking major AAA titles from vendors who are everyday names in the industry. In some cases, we’re talking about blatant violations of API rules – one D3D9 game never even called BeginFrame/EndFrame. Some are mistakes or oversights – one shipped bad shaders that heavily impacted performance on NV drivers. These things were day to day occurrences that went into a bug tracker. Then somebody would go in, find out what the game screwed up, and patch the driver to deal with it. There are lots of optional patches already in the driver that are simply toggled on or off as per-game settings, and then hacks that are more specific to games – up to and including total replacement of the shipping shaders with custom versions by the driver team. Ever wondered why nearly every major game release is accompanied by a matching driver release from AMD and/or NVIDIA? There you go.

The second lesson: The driver is gigantic. Think 1-2 million lines of code dealing with the hardware abstraction layers, plus another million per API supported. The backing function for Clear in D3D 9 was close to a thousand lines of just logic dealing with how exactly to respond to the command. It'd then call out to the correct function to actually modify the buffer in question. The level of complexity internally is enormous and winding, and even inside the driver code it can be tricky to work out how exactly you get to the fast-path behaviors. Additionally the APIs don't do a great job of matching the hardware, which means that even in the best cases the driver is covering up for a LOT of things you don't know about. There are many, many shadow operations and shadow copies of things down there.

The third lesson: It's unthreadable. The IHVs sat down starting from maybe circa 2005, and built tons of multithreading into the driver internally. They had some of the best kernel/driver engineers in the world to do it, and literally thousands of full blown real world test cases. They squeezed that system dry, and within the existing drivers and APIs it is impossible to get more than trivial gains out of any application side multithreading. If Futuremark can only get 5% in a trivial test case, the rest of us have no chance.

The fourth lesson: Multi GPU (SLI/CrossfireX) is loving complicated. You cannot begin to conceive of the number of failure cases that are involved until you see them in person. I suspect that more than half of the total software effort within the IHVs is dedicated strictly to making multi-GPU setups work with existing games. (And I don't even know what the hardware side looks like.) If you've ever tried to independently build an app that uses multi GPU - especially if, god help you, you tried to do it in OpenGL - you may have discovered this insane rabbit hole. There is ONE fast path, and it's the narrowest path of all. Take lessons 1 and 2, and magnify them enormously.
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666419-what-are-your-opinions-on-dx12vulkanmantle/#entry5215019

Like, it's unquestionable that NVIDIA has more resources to throw at fixing that kind of crap than AMD does. But at the end of the day it's often not "driver issues", it's the gamedevs rushing crap out the door to get it on shelves before christmas. Depending on what kind of code the driver team has on-hand, it may not be a quick refactor to unbreak whatever the gamedevs broke, especially without breaking everything else.

It's really just the culmination of the "ship it and we'll patch it later" tactic that's gotten worse and worse over the years - now you don't even need to patch it, because AMD/NVIDIA will do it for you to avoid accusations of "driver issues". It really comes down to the same thing as the preorder and "early access" culture in the game industry - people will pay regardless of whether the game is finished, let alone broken, so why not ship now?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

IllustriousChen posted:

My current PC is running an AMD Radeon HD 6800 series GPU. I can play MGS: V with everything set to high and I've yet to encounter any bad stuttering or frame rate lag. I upgraded most of the other components about six months ago and kept the graphics card as it was a more recent purchase.

The next games that I'm likely to buy are Fallout 4 and Witcher 3.

I'm in a similar position - I'd rather not upgrade anything else right now unless I need to, so what's a good card to look for that will play TW3 but take up about the same amount of power? Would an R9 380 work?