Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slowhanded posted:

You're still about a grand short of being able to buy a good 1080p OLED, so don't fret about that.

I'm pretty sure LG has some 1080p oled models for under $2k these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Yeah the 55EG9100 is on sale for $1,800 through Sunday . I picked mine up yesterday and it's phenomenal. Looks even better than it did in the store. Completely blown away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When I can get a 65" OLED 4k TV for under $3500, I will jump in with both feet.

I'm guessing right now is that will be around 2017.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

When I can get a 65" OLED 4k TV for under $3500, I will jump in with both feet.

I'm guessing right now is that will be around 2017.

Pretty sure the current LG model has hit $3999. Next year you will probably see $2999 for the current model at some crazy frys or microcenter sales i bet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Pretty sure the current LG model has hit $3999. Next year you will probably see $2999 for the current model at some crazy frys or microcenter sales i bet.

65" 4k?

Last I saw it was still $6k.

No Frys or Microcenters around here.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Do any of the LG OLED TVs have VESA mounting yet, or do you still need their special mount to wall mount?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

65" 4k?

Last I saw it was still $6k.

No Frys or Microcenters around here.

Its $5k at bestbuy, $4k here

http://www.appliancesconnection.com/lg-65ef9500-i601857.html?ref=TRJC

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Golbez posted:

Vizio M55-C2 55" is $850 on Amazon. Samsung UN55JS8500 is $1500. We're a Samsung house and I'm really trying to convince myself to leap on the Samsung to replace my dead Samsung but everything I'm hearing about the Vizio M, plus that price point, makes it difficult. Is there any reason whatsoever to aim towards the Samsung?

I've bought about 20 of the Samsung 7100 series TVs for conference rooms in the 50" and 75" sizes. I had to buy two Vizio M75s for a last minute thing and they are not even in the same ballpark. The Vizio is much heavier, substantially thicker, and the Samsungs have much better blacks. The inputs switch faster. The OSD is better (though I will say I don't love the Samsung remote).

Plus little stuff like the Vizio not being able to loop videos played off a thumb drive is maddening.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Is there any push to make 'smaller' (50" or so), flat, 1080p OLEDs, at a reasonable price point (say $1000)? I don't want a curved screen; I don't feel like I need 4k; but I *do* want superior image quality and a wide viewing angle. It seems like everybody is trying to sell me on features I don't care about, while ignoring the features I want. There are tons of 1080p LCDs in the size range I need, but for my living room layout I need something that maintains good image quality over a +/- 35 degree viewing angle.

I should have bought one of the last generation plasmas but I thought mass market OLED was right around the corner. I can't believe the manufacturers abandoned the plasma market so quickly.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 26, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

No

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

55" is pretty much the 'buy in' size for a quality TV now.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Anyone have feedback on the 40 inch samsung JU6400? Assuming I don't want anything more than 40 inches, I'm thinking this might be the best value for what I want to use it for (netflix, consoles, secondary pc display) since rtings has it rated really highly for both gaming and pc use. It only has 21 reviews on amazon though and some of them aren't too hot. Am I missing a catch other than some judder on movies? A few comparable sets seem to be in the 1080p range, but those are only $100 or less, so I figure why not future-proof (I tend to keep my tvs for a decade or so) and go 4k. Any reason to hold off on pulling the trigger for actual black friday or cyber monday instead of snagging it now? It seems like most of the big retailers are selling it at that standard price per the black friday thread as far as I can tell.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 26, 2015

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Looking at reviews for 55" and 60" TVs. Seems like you have to go above $1000 to get one that gets decent reviews (or sneak in on one of those M60-E3 doorbuster sales that will go super fast). All the sub-$1000 Samsungs only have 60 Hz refresh rates, for example.

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007
Can I get a recommendation for a TV between 38" and 42". Will be used for gaming, blurays, and netflix with an emphasis on gaming. Not concerned with smart features.

I'm in the UK and am looking to spend £350-£400. I realise that limits my options.

Is http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-42LF652V-Smart-webOS-Model/dp/B00UYZBLZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1448560330&sr=1-1 any decent?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

If I'm not looking to play 4k content and just want a massive screen for under $2k, would the Samsung UN75J6300 be my best bet? Is it really that much better than a comparable Vizio?

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 26, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Anyone have feedback on the 40 inch samsung JU6400? Assuming I don't want anything more than 40 inches, I'm thinking this might be the best value for what I want to use it for (netflix, consoles, secondary pc display) since rtings has it rated really highly for both gaming and pc use. It only has 21 reviews on amazon though and some of them aren't too hot. Am I missing a catch other than some judder on movies? A few comparable sets seem to be in the 1080p range, but those are only $100 or less, so I figure why not future-proof (I tend to keep my tvs for a decade or so) and go 4k. Any reason to hold off on pulling the trigger for actual black friday or cyber monday instead of snagging it now? It seems like most of the big retailers are selling it at that standard price per the black friday thread as far as I can tell.

Even if you were touching the display with your nose, you wouldn't see much of a difference with 4K at 40". There's literally nothing enticing about this set, it's a super budget set with all its problems, from terrible blacks, poor color range, and uncorrectable judder. I think you would be sorely disappointed with this set, especially if you're bound to keep it for years.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 26, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Got my 75" Sony set up Monday night finally.

Still not big enough.
Looks awesome, been watching football. No motion issues.
Watched a bunch of Netflix movies on it last night and it blows my old tv away in ever aspect.

A+ would buy again.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Slowhanded posted:

Even if you were touching the display with your nose, you wouldn't see much of a difference with 4K at 40". There's literally nothing enticing about this set, it's a super budget set with all its problems, from terrible blacks, poor color range, and uncorrectable judder. I think you would be sorely disappointed with this set, especially if you're bound to keep it for years.

Hmm, thanks for the feedback. Should I assume the starting point I was using

( http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/video-gaming/best
and
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best )

is pretty much bullshit then? That set seemed to be the highest rated for those usages in the $~400-500 range. All the other sets seemed like they either had problems with PC monitor use or meh response times/input lag. 1080p is fine (I think there was a $279 set that looked nice, but that site gave it extremely poor PC display and gaming reviews, which is what I use my TV for mostly), I just want something passable for gaming, netflix and using as the occasional PC second display and it seemed like every other set that met those criteria were in the 800+ range. This one seemed like a great compromise that would also let me use 4k when the next gen of consoles hit.

Any feedback on other 40 inch sets that would better fit those needs? I don't really care about 4k much aside from not having to buy a new TV when new consoles hit. I remember trying to play dead rising on my 360 on an old TV and I couldn't read a goddamn word (which prompted me to finally get a 720p 32 inch tv in like 2006, which I'm still using now). To clarify, I have a pretty baller PC monitor and am not intending this to be a PC monitor replacement as much as a supplement.

The thing about black friday TV shopping I hate most is having to google a dozen different TV models to find out they're basically the same with some unknown variable that's not instantly transparent or less inputs.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 27, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So I had finally ostensibly settled on the Sony 55X810 but then I look on amazon and the 850 is only $200 more. Looking into it though it looks like the only actual difference in the trilumos on the 850 but everyone's already talking about how good the color on the 810 is so what gives? The 850 is technically HDR-capable but I have my doubts that an edge-lit LCD can get anywhere near as bright as the laser projectors they're using to demo HDR content.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

qirex posted:

So I had finally ostensibly settled on the Sony 55X810 but then I look on amazon and the 850 is only $200 more. Looking into it though it looks like the only actual difference in the trilumos on the 850 but everyone's already talking about how good the color on the 810 is so what gives? The 850 is technically HDR-capable but I have my doubts that an edge-lit LCD can get anywhere near as bright as the laser projectors they're using to demo HDR content.

I just got the 75" 850c and this thing is super bright and does in fact do hdr.
Read this. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850c

I got mine for the black friday price without having to actually leave the house on well today.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Currently debating between the Vizio M80-C3 at $3500 and the Sony XBR75X850C at $3k. Any other similar competitors in that price/size range? Not interested in curved or 3d, just big and quality image.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

a worthy uhh posted:

Currently debating between the Vizio M80-C3 at $3500 and the Sony XBR75X850C at $3k. Any other similar competitors in that price/size range? Not interested in curved or 3d, just big and quality image.

The Sony edges out the Vizio, although not by much. The Samsung UN75JU7100 is arguably better than both of them, however. These are all quite minute differences, though, at it comes down to things like gray uniformity, motion blur, and upscaling, all of which aren't incredibly obvious.

At your budget, I'd also take a hard look at downsizing and getting an OLED. The LG 55EG9600's image quality WILL be a huge step up from any other TV on the market. Infinite contrast ratio is nothing to scoff at; it is jaw-dropping the first time you see it in action in a dark room.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Slowhanded posted:

The Sony edges out the Vizio, although not by much. The Samsung UN75JU7100 is arguably better than both of them, however. These are all quite minute differences, though, at it comes down to things like gray uniformity, motion blur, and upscaling, all of which aren't incredibly obvious.

At your budget, I'd also take a hard look at downsizing and getting an OLED. The LG 55EG9600's image quality WILL be a huge step up from any other TV on the market. Infinite contrast ratio is nothing to scoff at; it is jaw-dropping the first time you see it in action in a dark room.

Thanks! Do they make a comparable LG that isn't curved? I kinda actively dislike the whole curved thing, unless I can be convinced it improves viewing.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

a worthy uhh posted:

Thanks! Do they make a comparable LG that isn't curved? I kinda actively dislike the whole curved thing, unless I can be convinced it improves viewing.

The EF9500 is the flat version of the TV. The EG is technically better due to a firmware error, but that should get sorted out in time and will be equal at that point.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The cheapest place to get the LG 4K Oled is Cleveland plasma. That's where all of the avsforum spergs buy from, he's an authorized retailer so you have a warranty, and you will save on no tax and free shipping if you don't live in Ohio.

I think the 65" flat is ~4300 from him.

Also the 55" 1080p was recently 1799 with a 200 Costco cash card at Costco. So 1599. Pretty good.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Thank you both!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Any opinions on using a Samsung JU7500 as a monitor for basic desktop use/mmo gaming?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alright, so black friday deals on the 60" M60-C3 were a bust. So I can get it for $1100 for non-BF prices, or get a Samsung model. 60 Hz for like $900, 120 Hz for like $1300.

Inclined to go with the full-price M60-C3 as a 'sweet spot', but would love to hear from others.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Bobulus posted:

Alright, so black friday deals on the 60" M60-C3 were a bust. So I can get it for $1100 for non-BF prices, or get a Samsung model. 60 Hz for like $900, 120 Hz for like $1300.

Inclined to go with the full-price M60-C3 as a 'sweet spot', but would love to hear from others.

I would never pay close to sticker price for a Vizio. Put up a deal alert on Slickdeals and just hold out, unless you really need a TV by this weekend. The M-series TVs are a good value buy, but there's no reason to rush to buy it, it's literally on sale all the time.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I guess I should amend that $1100 seems to be the on-sale-but-not-Black-Friday-level price. $1300 seems to be the 'normal' price.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

qirex posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't the lack of 3D the main difference between the two sets?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The 810C reviews better than the 850C for a bunch of other reasons.

Also the 810C has more inputs

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
I'm looking to try to get a 42-50" TV this weekend for watching shows, movies, and gaming. Budget is around $500. I'm not really interested in SmartTV features but it seems like they're kind of unavoidable, and I think 1080p resolution is fine. I was looking at this Samsung UN50J5200 50" on Amazon for $497, but googling around reviews seem to say it has a lot of motion blur and has poor viewing at angles. Any recommendations for a good deal this weekend? Thanks!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vizio m series 49" for 529 on Vizio.com with free shipping.

http://www.vizio.com/blackfriday/m49c1.html

And I refreshed and it's gone. E series is still available and still better than the Samsung imo

sellouts fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 27, 2015

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!

sellouts posted:

Vizio m series 49" for 529 on Vizio.com with free shipping.

http://www.vizio.com/blackfriday/m49c1.html

And I refreshed and it's gone. E series is still available and still better than the Samsung imo

Thanks for the tip! Adorama lists them as backordered but is still taking orders at the $530 price.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So my 2 year old Vizio E601-A3 just today started making a horrible high pitched noise and then turning itself off. You can turn it on again right away but after 5-20 minutes it will do it again. The Internet has me believing that I can replace the power supply board and it will probably fix it, does that sound right?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Elysium posted:

So my 2 year old Vizio E601-A3 just today started making a horrible high pitched noise and then turning itself off. You can turn it on again right away but after 5-20 minutes it will do it again. The Internet has me believing that I can replace the power supply board and it will probably fix it, does that sound right?

99% sounds like the PWM on the PSU board isn't working correctly, which matches up with the sound, the TV turning off and the TV being a relatively budget model. Replace the board, it should be a relatively cheap fix. If that doesn't fix it, either dig deep into the repair manuals or call a technician.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
My Vizio has two settings and I can't figure out the right setting to use for them. I'm sensitive to the Soap Opera effect, but I'm trying to reduce some choppiness and lines I'm seeing.

What should I set "Reduce Judder" and "Reduce Motion Blur" to? Both are 0-10 ranges.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

dexter6 posted:

My Vizio has two settings and I can't figure out the right setting to use for them. I'm sensitive to the Soap Opera effect, but I'm trying to reduce some choppiness and lines I'm seeing.

What should I set "Reduce Judder" and "Reduce Motion Blur" to? Both are 0-10 ranges.

These are the setting I used for my Vizio:

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/vizio-m602i-b3-picture-settings-620533/

It's worked out pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

GreenNight posted:

These are the setting I used for my Vizio:

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/vizio-m602i-b3-picture-settings-620533/

It's worked out pretty well.
Thanks.

Though those settings didn't quite work out for me, it made me search that forum and I found this thread which has helped:

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/vizio-m65-c1-2015-m-series-picture-settings/